The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 May 2021, 09:03 PM   #2551
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffeeman View Post

I still think 1815 chrono has the best bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100%

edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 12:47 AM   #2552
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
You got some great other replies to this.

The 140.029 is widely available both preowned and new. There are a lot of them out there. Given their wide availability and the significant price difference between new and preowned, I'd never buy a new one. I'd buy only preowned. The miniscule jump/"preloading" that happens a few seconds before the minute changes never bothered me. Also, I prefer a deployant buckle with a Zeitwerk. Good luck!
Yes, 140.029 is way cheaper in preowned market. I will just wait what Lange does with this model due to fact discontinue from April 2021.

BUT I have placed an order for 363.068 with boutique. Hopefully to be delivered this year!!
Old 14 May 2021, 01:09 AM   #2553
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
You're welcome!!

One thing I'll add. Lange's are still languishing in terms what you can expect to get out of them if/when you sell. Sure, we currently see better prices, but dealers will throw every excuse at you that they don't move, it's a tough brand, etc, etc. When I say "I don't think you'll make money", that's why.

As an example, if you paid $65k for a Lange and over the next year you see it at a solid $75k in the secondary market, you'll never get anything close to that $75k unless you can move it privately. You'd be hard pressed to get your money back. Dealers still are not paying premiums for Langes unless it is truly a special reference. If you want any evidence of that, call Watchbox or European. They'll lowball the living hell out of you if you want cash. Trading in or trading up may yield different results...

Truth!!! Even when you can see the exact same piece move from their website, what the big dealers will actually give you for yours will be a large margin

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 01:56 AM   #2554
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
I will just wait what Lange does with this model due to fact discontinue from April 2021.
Not according to the London Boutique?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:39 AM   #2555
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Not according to the London Boutique?
Interesting.
We will find out soon.
Old 14 May 2021, 10:05 AM   #2556
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Is it just me or are we starting to see Lange prices increase significantly in the auction market? Phillips / Christies, Antiquorum and Sothebys all pretty impressive over the last few days. Almost all sold above high reserve (including buyers premium I admit).
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 02:33 PM   #2557
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quick, funny story - my girlfriend and I are on vacation in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and we went out to dinner tonight. Sitting at the dimly lit bar, I see about 10 feet from us a couple sitting for dinner, and I could swear the gentlemen was wearing a white gold Odysseus on rubber strap. I told my girlfriend, who really couldn’t care less about watches, and I expressed to her that it is an extremely rare piece and I was a bit shocked if my observation was correct. I told her I would have to politely inquire once we were finished with dinner, to which she basically said please do so when I leave I asked the gentlemen if I could ask him a question and told him I was a big watch fan and asked if he was as well. He said he was, and I said is that a Lange Odysseus you are wearing, to which he replied yes it was and he brought his wrist over so I could take a look. I couldn’t believe I had spotted it across the bar and I told him how excellent a piece it was. We (and his wife) had a nice little conversation about watches and Lange and he mentioned he also has a Zeitwerk.

Anyway, just a silly little story, but I think I made his night and he made mine. He mentioned it was the first time anyone has ever approached him and recognized the Odysseus.

So, anyone else seen one in the wild? I genuinely couldn’t believe it! It is a stunning piece and very understated in white gold and on the rubber strap. It is an absolutely exceptional piece!

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2021, 11:50 PM   #2558
biaoist
"TRF" Member

Zeitwerk on white rubber

biaoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:08 AM   #2559
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Looks great on rubber. Never got around to throwing mine on rubber.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:19 AM   #2560
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
Is it just me or are we starting to see Lange prices increase significantly in the auction market? Phillips / Christies, Antiquorum and Sothebys all pretty impressive over the last few days. Almost all sold above high reserve (including buyers premium I admit).

I mostly agree, although I have to say the Datograph Lumen from the past weekend’s Phillips auction seemed weaker than I anticipated - I believe around $225k all in.

I still think what we’re going to see is more limited Langes are going to be very strong from here on out. I don’t know if I’d expect much price appreciation on standard pieces. You might see higher prices since it’s very easy to do when you have a handful of players that can influence pricing. But, as I’ve said above...try selling a Lange to a dealer for cash. Until that gap closes, there isn’t going to be any sort of “Journe-type” activity across the ALS line. At least that’s my humble opinion...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15 May 2021, 12:25 AM   #2561
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Quick, funny story - my girlfriend and I are on vacation in Jackson Hole, Wyoming and we went out to dinner tonight. Sitting at the dimly lit bar, I see about 10 feet from us a couple sitting for dinner, and I could swear the gentlemen was wearing a white gold Odysseus on rubber strap. I told my girlfriend, who really couldn’t care less about watches, and I expressed to her that it is an extremely rare piece and I was a bit shocked if my observation was correct. I told her I would have to politely inquire once we were finished with dinner, to which she basically said please do so when I leave I asked the gentlemen if I could ask him a question and told him I was a big watch fan and asked if he was as well. He said he was, and I said is that a Lange Odysseus you are wearing, to which he replied yes it was and he brought his wrist over so I could take a look. I couldn’t believe I had spotted it across the bar and I told him how excellent a piece it was. We (and his wife) had a nice little conversation about watches and Lange and he mentioned he also has a Zeitwerk.

Anyway, just a silly little story, but I think I made his night and he made mine. He mentioned it was the first time anyone has ever approached him and recognized the Odysseus.

So, anyone else seen one in the wild? I genuinely couldn’t believe it! It is a stunning piece and very understated in white gold and on the rubber strap. It is an absolutely exceptional piece!

I love your story...you handled it with class, and I am betting he enjoyed a fellow watch enthusiast noting his watch. Especially since it wasn’t a flashy Rolex/AP/Patek we see everywhere.

BTW, I don’t think the WG Odysseus is “rare”, per se. It’s actually somewhat available from an AD but it is not a piece you see every day...that’s for sure. My AD let me borrow one for a weekend and I have to say the dial is simply stunning. I still hugely dislike the lugs on this model though. I would have strongly preferred a fully integrated rubber strap.

Old 15 May 2021, 02:35 AM   #2562
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I love your story...you handled it with class, and I am betting he enjoyed a fellow watch enthusiast noting his watch. Especially since it wasn’t a flashy Rolex/AP/Patek we see everywhere.

BTW, I don’t think the WG Odysseus is “rare”, per se. It’s actually somewhat available from an AD but it is not a piece you see every day...that’s for sure. My AD let me borrow one for a weekend and I have to say the dial is simply stunning. I still hugely dislike the lugs on this model though. I would have strongly preferred a fully integrated rubber strap.

I was balancing my excitement with approaching the topic properly, as it’s extremely easy to make people (and myself) feel pretty awkward. You never know if someone wants to be approached, recognized, spoken to, etc. especially over dinner with a loved one. I was happy that 1.) my observation was accurate and 2.) I think he was just as excited that someone actually recognized what was on his wrist as I was to see one of these beauties out in the wild!

You are probably correct about it not actually being rare. I guess with how many watches Lange makes a year (3000-5000?) I just don’t expect to see many out in my everyday life.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:34 PM   #2563
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Interesting.
We will find out soon.
The 140.029 is NOT discontinued, according to Lange. It is on Lange's current price list that came out 2 months ago, and any Lange AD or boutique can order one for you if it is not in stock. To verify this, call any boutique and ask the manager. I did that yesterday -- called the Costa Mesa boutique to ask this question. It will certainly be discontinued in the future, but it is not discontinued right now.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 12:43 PM   #2564
mrenvy
"TRF" Member

mrenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2021, 08:45 PM   #2565
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrenvy View Post
Drool!
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2021, 04:46 AM   #2566
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR View Post
The 140.029 is NOT discontinued, according to Lange. It is on Lange's current price list that came out 2 months ago, and any Lange AD or boutique can order one for you if it is not in stock. To verify this, call any boutique and ask the manager. I did that yesterday -- called the Costa Mesa boutique to ask this question. It will certainly be discontinued in the future, but it is not discontinued right now.
Agree. NYC boutique confirms available for order and not discontinued as of now.
Gotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 07:23 AM   #2567
jd57
"TRF" Member

Haven’t had this out of the vault for a while and almost forgot how well it wears with a suit or with more casual attire. A perfect “under the radar” piece. Just hard to stop staring at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E5934038-D494-4928-BA3B-8E3FB7720850.jpeg (130.9 KB, 896 views)
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 12:19 PM   #2568
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Love the Datograph. Any ALS fans with "knowledge" know if the comapny are working on a version 3? Not sure whether to wait on the 3rd iteration if it's pending or go for an up-down right now?
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 02:18 PM   #2569
justcruisin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
Love the Datograph. Any ALS fans with "knowledge" know if the comapny are working on a version 3? Not sure whether to wait on the 3rd iteration if it's pending or go for an up-down right now?
Same question, but for the Lange 1. Heard on another forum that there might be something new in 2022?
justcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2021, 11:41 PM   #2570
lutchki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
Same question, but for the Lange 1. Heard on another forum that there might be something new in 2022?

In terms of what? Because they had something new In 2021 as well by w&w
lutchki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 05:14 AM   #2571
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Old 23 May 2021, 11:41 AM   #2572
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
I would be surprised to see a new Lange 1 just six years after the second iteration, with the new movement, was introduced. I believe the second movement was introduced about twenty years after the first movement.
Old 23 May 2021, 05:58 PM   #2573
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

I think they need to update the Grand Lange 1 movements.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2021, 11:30 PM   #2574
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
I think they need to update the Grand Lange 1 movements.

A day / night moon disc and some finish under the oscillating mass would be good.
Old 24 May 2021, 04:18 AM   #2575
893bet
"TRF" Member

893bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2021, 05:06 AM   #2576
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biaoist View Post
Zeitwerk on white rubber

Thats beautiful !!!
Old 30 May 2021, 11:06 PM   #2577
PPPP
"TRF" Member

Hi guys! I managed to narrow my first lange purchase decision to the 1815 whit e gold black dial chronograph VS the new lange 1 moon phase in platinum. Was thinking what would be your thoughts on selecting one to wear for the ages.

Chronograph:
1. beautiful back
2. awesome movement/pushers
3. honestly some say it is best in class, even better than patek

Lange 1 moon phase platinum:
1. timeless asymmetric dial, also best in class
2. new moonphase is really interesting with day/night indicator, as you wind the watch the moonphase 'moves'
3. a tinge of playful modern feel given the added moonphase, can wear it dressy or casual

The only thing holding me back for the moon phase platinum is if the dial appears too silvery/grey. If any owners can help to comment this will be great. I have only seen the grand lange 1 platinum in real life and found the dial extremely silver/grey with the strong boutique lights. I wonder if it would look a little more white (maybe texture more enamel-like) in normal lighting. I have seen pictures online but they look photoshopped, nothing like what I saw in real life.

The chronograph dial for some reason in some photos look a little very dark purple tinge. Does anyone know if it is just a matter of photo taking or because it is sterling silver galvanised it actually reflects light in different shades?

Thank you everyone :)))))
PPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 12:55 AM   #2578
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPP View Post
Hi guys! I managed to narrow my first lange purchase decision to the 1815 whit e gold black dial chronograph VS the new lange 1 moon phase in platinum. Was thinking what would be your thoughts on selecting one to wear for the ages.

Chronograph:
1. beautiful back

2. new moonphase is really interesting with day/night indicator, as you wind the watch the moonphase 'moves'
3. a tinge of playful modern feel given the added moonphase, can wear it dressy or casual

The only thing holding me back for the moon phase platinum is if the dial appears too silvery/grey. If any owners can help to comment this will be great. I have only seen the grand lange 1 platinum in real life and found the dial extremely silver/grey with the strong boutique lights. I wonder if it would look a little more white (maybe texture more enamel-like) in normal lighting. I have seen pictures online but they look photoshopped, nothing like what I saw in real life.

The chronograph dial for some reason in some photos look a little very dark purple tinge. Does anyone know if it is just a matter of photo taking or because it is sterling silver galvanised it actually reflects light in different shades?

I have the 414.028 and a platinum Lange 1. I can't choose between the two. It's a cop out answer. When I bought my first Lange I rolled my eyes at people who said "you won't be able to stop at one Lange". Well, I have three now and considering a fourth...

I do not find the 414.028 purple or any colour other than black in any setting. The movement is out of the world and I particularly like the instant minute jump of the chronograph.

The current platinum Lange 1 (grand, mp, etc.) with the rhodie dial are all the same colour I believe so if you didn't like the Grand L1 MP you probably won't like the L1 MP. Lange describes it as grey/silver but in person I've seen the 191.025 and found it quite white. The only true "white" dial was the LE 101.049 which has a white lacquer dial I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7C3516D7-0BDC-406F-9E79-6AA493486281.jpeg (86.6 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpeg 576B49A4-272E-4DB9-B140-65D11B7FFB04.jpeg (86.0 KB, 579 views)
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 12:59 AM   #2579
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPPP View Post

Chronograph:
1. beautiful back

The L1-MP has its fans. I like chronos, so the choice is automatic. What complication do you prefer? And dial layout? To me those would be critical in deciding between the two, followed by fit and form on the wrist.

Here are some pics from my most recent time doing wrist trials of the black dial. I didn’t notice any purple hues.

Happy deciding

Old 3 June 2021, 03:41 AM   #2580
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

GreatCircle is offline   Reply With Quote