The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Patek 5235 - where to from here
Soon to be discontinued 26 21.67%
New model coming 15 12.50%
Patek flop 42 35.00%
Instant classic 37 30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18 October 2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
No love for the 5235.......

I saw on IG @patekonomics that our own patekaholic mentioned that a 5235 was recently passed in at a Sotheby's auction in HK (6th Oct)
The low estimate was approx. USD 45k.
Now this leads to the question where to from here?
Lots of discussions about a connoisseurs watch, legibility, over supply etc but as an owner of the watch I love it. Reading the time is simple and if anything my only criticism would be it is hard to read the day and month.
What does everyone think? Soon to be discontinued, new model coming, Patek flop or instant classic?
For my take I love it and think that if Patek discontinue it (yes I hear the usual people saying that it won't happen) it will quickly be appreciated as a classic.
Supply seems to be abundant now but the may be a function of initial problems and inventory issues.
Anyway enough of what I think....let me know your thoughts?
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 10:44 AM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

Think you hit a lot of the points as to why for me it's not high on my purchase list.

However, I certainly appreciate it and think it's an interesting piece.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 10:47 AM   #3
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I love mine! I always wanted the watch and smile every time I put it on. Many of the guys who had to have it first IMO bought it because they thought it was going to be rare or discontinued or because they figured they could flip for a quick premium. The brushed dial is great. I think if they make it in another metal or dial change they will just diminish the original version. Hopefully they let this run its course and over time people can appreciate it for being different. Just my 2cents
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 10:53 AM   #4
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I love mine! I always wanted the watch and smile every time I put it on. Many of the guys who had to have it first IMO bought it because they thought it was going to be rare or discontinued or because they figured they could flip for a quick premium. The brushed dial is great. I think if they make it in another metal or dial change they will just diminish the original version. Hopefully they let this run it's course and over time people can appreciate it for being different. Just my 2cents
Good points goog
Old 18 October 2015, 10:56 AM   #5
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I bought and sold mine some time ago. Certainly not a flop but not an instant classic either. If the Black dial one comes out could be interesting.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 11:39 AM   #6
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
I like the brushed dial look but that's it.
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 02:02 PM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

The regulator has an interesting design and with productiondiffculties during the first few years, it was hard to find one. But now with production problems resolved, it is a regular production watch. I do not see why someone would purchase this watch at an auction now that production numbers have kept up with demand. It is an annual calendar and its pricing is in line with other annual calendars.

In the long run, I think it will be a great watch. But it really depends on the length of production and what will happen when the supply exceeds the demand in the near future.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 05:10 PM   #8
unknown
"TRF" Member

non of these, will be many years in production
others will follow ( for example platinum with black dial or so)

not a flop, not an instant classic ... just one of their watches
Old 18 October 2015, 05:14 PM   #9
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
I saw on IG @patekonomics that our own patekaholic mentioned that a 5235 was recently passed in at a Sotheby's auction in HK (6th Oct)
The low estimate was approx. USD 45k.
this is what I said right from the beginning, NOT a special watch and they will make quite a lot of them
They don't want to make a new movement to make only a few hundred watches

as ALWAYS .... when the first watches are available the secondhand price will be above list, give it some time and both prices will be the same
And when you wait long enough secondhand price will be - 10% , -20% and probably -30% under list

I saw them in Europe for sale between euro 36 and 39K ( don't know it's list price)

That aside it is a very nice watch.
Old 18 October 2015, 06:59 PM   #10
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
i for one applaud patek on the new movement, the watch design maybe an acquired taste and not appeal to some but i think it will do great in the long run
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 10:07 PM   #11
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I really enjoy mine. I love the AC, micro rotor and regulator layout. It's certainly quirky, and that's why I like it. Almost like Patek's Milgauss.
Old 19 October 2015, 12:34 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
I really enjoy mine. I love the AC, micro rotor and regulator layout. It's certainly quirky, and that's why I like it. Almost like Patek's Milgauss.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 04:59 AM   #13
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Really cool watch, but not everybody's cuppa joe.
Old 19 October 2015, 07:33 AM   #14
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I think it's a great piece. If I was looking for a dress watch, it would be high on the list.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 07:44 AM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
not for me but it's not without interest
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 07:49 AM   #16
el1125
Banned

Watches in "general" are really not "investments." If YOU like the watch, and will enjoy it, that's the purpose of them. While you won't lose give or take 50% of your capital on Patek or Rolex if you pay MSRP, that's prob the best you can expect to do. If you are looking for an investment vehicle as has been said many times, watches are definitely not it...
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 07:57 AM   #17
el1125
Banned

Also the actual supply volume of most pieces are greater now than in the past and most of them now are attainable..and apparently the demand is not there either.
Old 19 October 2015, 08:16 AM   #18
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el1125 View Post
Watches in "general" are really not "investments." If YOU like the watch, and will enjoy it, that's the purpose of them. While you won't lose give or take 50% of your capital on Patek or Rolex if you pay MSRP, that's prob the best you can expect to do. If you are looking for an investment vehicle as has been said many times, watches are definitely not it...
Bingo
Old 19 October 2015, 08:44 AM   #19
Hamish
"TRF" Member

I like the watch and I am not worried about the current or future value

Not once in my post did I refer to the watches value now or in the future. The purpose of my post was to gauge everyone thoughts on the watch and its success.

Quote:
Old 19 October 2015, 09:12 AM   #20
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Not once in my post did I refer to the watches value now or in the future. The purpose of my post was to gauge everyone thoughts on the watch and its success.
Um, So what exactly are you asking? What do the members "think" about it? Will it be discontinued and then appreciated? Sorry if I misunderstood you but those specific questions inevitably lead ME and relate to value....1. EVERY Patek watch gets discontinued at one point or another. They will CONTINUE to make them as long as people want them as they are a business and have spent alot of money in the development of the new movement. Maybe they will change color of dial, graphics etc... Unlike "some" grand comps that are NOT made in large qtys, they are at a price point that most PATEK consumers can afford. Will 30-40 years down the line, people remember this watch for one reason or another, who really knows....I dont.
Old 19 October 2015, 09:18 AM   #21
el1125
Banned

Quote:
Btw, your first line opened up about Auction PRICE at Sothebys!! Is that not a comment/question related to value?? ..
Old 19 October 2015, 09:24 AM   #22
Hamish
"TRF" Member

i am not going to argue with you

read into it what you want!

Quote:
Btw, your first line opened up about Auction PRICE at Sothebys!! Is that not a comment/question related to value?? ..
Old 19 October 2015, 12:09 PM   #23
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

There are a lot of discussion here about value retention, depreciation and investment with Patek watches on this forum. I don't think OP necessarily opened the discussion with this in mind, although many people moved onto this topic.

If I understand correctly, OP wants to know if this is a popular watch and if not, why not? In my opinion, the regulator design makes this watch a non-traditional watch. It takes some getting used to for many people.

It's like asking why a tonneau-shaped or rectangular watch is not as popular as a round watch. It takes some getting used to before someone decides to go for a watch that is not round in shape.

Most people purchasing a watch tend to follow the crowd and go with what is popular or what others have. But collectors will buck the trend and buy things that are different. That is what sets a collector apart from the general public. I think this is the case with the 5235. I expect the Patek 5524G (Pilot's watch) to be the same in that it will be popular amongst collectors, but not the general public.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 12:55 PM   #24
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
It's an odd Patek, certainly not in their historical style, I would have expected a watch like that from Breguet or IWC, a very nice watch, but not a classic Patek. If I had a huge Patek collection, it would be an interesting variant, but although it's a great looking watch, it doesn't give me enough of what I look for in the Patek brand, certainly not iconic.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 01:16 PM   #25
CWIN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, AP, Rolex
I like the 5235G a lot. Very different from anything else in the lineup. I would love one in a collection, but I'd pass as my only Patek.
Old 19 October 2015, 02:45 PM   #26
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

IMHO.. Popular is a relative term depending on your demographic and who you mix around with. For me, I think the 5270s are more common than the 5235. I bought the 5235 for the uniqueness and I love the dial (love at first sight few years ago thru my PP magazine).. I personally own n known more than 20 friends in my circle who owns 5270 too but only 4 ppl I know of owns 5235 including mine. Yet, the 5270 is almost 3x more expensive than 5235.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 02:50 PM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
It's a cool looking watch and that's all that matters! I don't mind patek stepping out a bit on the design. I would love to have one.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 03:54 PM   #28
Oryx
"TRF" Member

I love mine - looks much much better in person than in pics.

First regulator watch produced by PP - as long as the curtail production in the not to distant future it will become a desirable part of any PP collection.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2015, 04:21 PM   #29
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

IMHO I think in real life 5235 is still very rare... Imagine if we do not have internet today, how many 5235 owner you know of in person?
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2015, 09:12 PM   #30
de66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
IMHO I think in real life 5235 is still very rare... Imagine if we do not have internet today, how many 5235 owner you know of in person?
Good point. I personally only know one
As far as I know this is the first ever regulator model produced by Patek. Like it or not, this makes it a unique model and sets it apart from all the other complications. The brushed dial and logo/name print style gives it a unique and almost prototype like appearance imo.
As Jon pointed out these are things that will be appreciated by the connoiseeur/collector types. People with "investment motives" will continue to gravitate toward the calendar and repeater models.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote