The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 March 2015, 11:43 PM   #1
PP101
"TRF" Member

Servicing questions

Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere, but as a PP newbie, I am wondering whether forum members actually do have their prized watches serviced as often as recommended, and what percentage have them serviced by PP.

I ask this as a Rolex wearer who has been regularly wearing the same watch for close on 40 years, which been serviced once during that time and yet still keeps perfect time !

I am considering the purchase of a factory sealed Grand Complication manufactured in 2007, for everyday wear. Will that theoretically need a service before it is worn and (leaving aside maintaining value) does it justify a PP service given that it should be in perfect mechanical condition ?

If anyone has a recommendation for a reliable watchmaker in London, who is up to servicing complicated PP watches, a recommendation would also be appreciated (by PM if appropriate ?).
PP101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 01:12 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP101 View Post
Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere, but as a PP newbie, I am wondering whether forum members actually do have their prized watches serviced as often as recommended, and what percentage have them serviced by PP.

I ask this as a Rolex wearer who has been regularly wearing the same watch for close on 40 years, which been serviced once during that time and yet still keeps perfect time !

I am considering the purchase of a factory sealed Grand Complication manufactured in 2007, for everyday wear. Will that theoretically need a service before it is worn and (leaving aside maintaining value) does it justify a PP service given that it should be in perfect mechanical condition ?

If anyone has a recommendation for a reliable watchmaker in London, who is up to servicing complicated PP watches, a recommendation would also be appreciated (by PM if appropriate ?).
Congratulations on your decision to purchase a Patek GC watch. I think it will depend on how the pre-owned watch was worn, but you are purchasing a watch that is still factory sealed and never worn. I have purchased a pre-owned Patek watch that have been left in a safe and have never been worn or serviced for 5+ years. I wouldn't service the watch right away, but other people here may disagree.

However if you go with servicing, I would seriously consider letting Patek service the watch. At the GC watch level, there are not many well trained independent watchmakers who can do this. They will have left Patek after working at Patek for several years as a watchmaker and depending on how long they previously worked at Patek, they may have never even touched a GC watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 02:03 AM   #3
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
You may disclose the reference number and other members will tell you their opinion with that certain movement .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 02:06 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Servicing a GC I would 100% do it only at Patek, hell even for my 2 Patek which are not GC wouldn't consider doing it elsewhere...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 02:21 AM   #5
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Servicing a GC I would 100% do it only at Patek, hell even for my 2 Patek which are not GC wouldn't consider doing it elsewhere...
+1. Why would you let anyone other than PP service your watch? Not worth the risk in my mind.
Old 29 March 2015, 03:06 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
PP is the only place I'd entrust my Pateks for service.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 03:13 AM   #7
PP101
"TRF" Member

The 2007 sealed watch which I am looking at is a 5140. Would that now need a service ?

As to why not PP, cost and the extremely long turnaround time (from what I gather).

Interestingly the PP Salon in London referred me to two dealers as people from whom I could buy pre-owned with confidence. I was discussing a 5140 with one of them (not the sealed example mentioned above), and they told me that although serviced it was not by PP, as no dealer can afford to tie up their stock for the period of time which a PP service would require.

I drive an MB which I bought when it was 12 months old. It has since been driven for 4 years without going anywhere near an MB dealer. All it gets is the lightest of services by my local one man band every 12 -18 months. MB would say that this is a terrible thing to do as would all MB purists, and I am sure that some would say it is a false economy as it depresses the resale value, but in my experience a car of this age will have no resale value in any event !
Old 29 March 2015, 03:29 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I would say a MB is a mass produced car just as a Rolex is a mass produced watch. I wouldn't have any problem servicing my Rolex with an independent watchmaker that has a Rolex parts account. Rolex watches are not as complicated as a Patek perpetual calendar.

The London Salon may tell you (or perhaps not) that there are watchmakers who used to work at the Salon and now work with independent pre-owned watch stores locally in London. The watchmakers who work at these stores may be able to service the 5140. I would inquire about their pricing and service turn around time first if you are still considering using an independent watchmaker.
Old 29 March 2015, 03:35 AM   #9
PP101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I would say a MB is a mass produced car just as a Rolex is a mass produced watch. I wouldn't have any problem servicing my Rolex with an independent watchmaker that has a Rolex parts account. Rolex watches are not as complicated as a Patek perpetual calendar.

The London Salon may tell you (or perhaps not) that there are watchmakers who used to work at the Salon and now work with independent pre-owned watch stores locally in London. The watchmakers who work at these stores may be able to service the 5140. I would inquire about their pricing and service turn around time first if you are still considering using an independent watchmaker.
Thanks and sensible advice if I may sy so. However, nobody has yet answered the primary question: would a 2007 sealed watch really require a service at all, and if so is so complex a service that only PP could reliably perform it
Old 29 March 2015, 05:53 AM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Cal.240 is an in house PP-though the basis caliber was bought from Universal AFAIK-,
the watch is 8 years old ,all lubricants are dried or disappeared ,I m confident the watch will run for a certain period of time but movement parts will worn extensively.

I bought a 10years old Rolex years ago -from an AD- we agreed he makes a full movement service FOC,just for the peace of mind.I was a cheap date since an old stock watch requires no new parts just lubricants and seals.

Back to your question , if I d be in your shoes I d ask Patek to perform the service ,you may can get tis cost as discount from your purchase price .

Others will add their opinion.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 29 March 2015, 06:12 AM   #11
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Cal.240 is an in house PP-though the basis caliber was bought from Universal AFAIK-,
the watch is 8 years old ,all lubricants are dried or disappeared ,I m confident the watch will run for a certain period of time but movement parts will worn extensively.

I bought a 10years old Rolex years ago -from an AD- we agreed he makes a full movement service FOC,just for the peace of mind.I was a cheap date since an old watch requires no new parts just lubricants and seals.

Back to your question , if I d be in your shoes I d ask Patek to perform the service ,you may can get tis cost as discount from your purchase price .

Others will add their opinion.
I second this
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 07:04 AM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

I would probably service it if I were you
Old 29 March 2015, 07:51 AM   #13
de66
"TRF" Member

My motto is: if it aint broke dont fix it.
I acknowledge that there might be some oils up for renewal though. Sometimes in complicated watches there may even be three different types of lubricants/oils used, with different viscosity and different properties, some oils are too thick and sticky and will negatively affect the finer parts, and the residues of the old ones need to be removed. So an independent watch maker really would need to know what he is doing and would really need to know the exact specs of everything concerning the time piece. But as long as the watch runs and keeps time accurate to within the standard you find acceptable I would not part with it for an extended period of time for only a service.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 08:41 AM   #14
mike_bronco
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Rolex
Wow. This is one of the reasons I try to stay away from complications--in watches and in general. Anyway, I'm not an expert, but just a few thoughts: if you're going to spring for a watch of this magnitude, wouldn't you want to put in a little extra for a PP service so it's tip-top? Sitting around since 2007, seems it def would need fresh lubricants. I would never, ever, ever trust anyone besides PP lay a finger on this watch. If you've lived this long without the watch, can't you wait a bit longer for a proper service? Good luck!!
mike_bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2015, 08:54 AM   #15
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
You have a 2 year warranty no? Why not wait until the expiration to make your decision. Id be surprised if the salon would sell you a watch that is in need of immediate service.
Old 29 March 2015, 03:15 PM   #16
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
You have a 2 year warranty no? Why not wait until the expiration to make your decision. Id be surprised if the salon would sell you a watch that is in need of immediate service.
I don't think OP is buying a NOS watch from an AD with the full 2 year warranty. He is supposedly purchasing the watch from an individual or from a pre-owned watch store, although the watch is still in its original factory sealed state.
Old 9 April 2015, 05:46 PM   #17
Too Old
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've just taken my 5085/1A in for service at the PP Salon in New Bond St.
The quote is:
1. Service and overhaul the mechanism including the replacement of basic movement parts as necessary, including crown, cleaning, lubrication and regulation. Replacement of the case seals. £840.00
2. Pendant tube, to supply and fit as necessary (worn).* No Charge
3. Valet the case and bracelet to best possible condition.* £215.00
Total (inc VAT) £1,055.00

Turn around is expected to be 16 weeks.

I don't think that's too unreasonable for a watch with complications.
Too Old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2015, 05:57 PM   #18
cinch
"TRF" Member

That seems pretty good
cinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2015, 06:06 PM   #19
PP101
"TRF" Member

When I asked the London salon recently about servicing a still sealed 5140 (but now 8 years old), I was told that the starting cost for servicing a perpetual calendar is £1,200 and that it would take 16 weeks.

The dealer (not an AD) from whom I bought the watch did put that timeframe in perspective, because he said that they would probably want to test it for 4 weeks after its service to check its timekeeping, and then if there were any further adjustments might want to do the same again. Not sure if this is true, but it does sound logical.
Old 9 April 2015, 06:50 PM   #20
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When I asked the London salon recently about servicing a still sealed 5140 (but now 8 years old), I was told that the starting cost for servicing a perpetual calendar is £1,200 and that it would take 16 weeks.

The dealer (not an AD) from whom I bought the watch did put that timeframe in perspective, because he said that they would probably want to test it for 4 weeks after its service to check its timekeeping, and then if there were any further adjustments might want to do the same again. Not sure if this is true, but it does sound logical.
Do you mean your non authorized dealer will perform the overhaul ?

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 9 April 2015, 06:59 PM   #21
PP101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionata View Post
Do you mean your non authorized dealer will perform the overhaul ?
No, were just discussing servicing and he was explaining why a good service takes a long time.
Old 10 April 2015, 08:12 AM   #22
Oryx
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think the current lead time is longer than 16 weeks - this is more to do with the back log for the Patek service centre rather than the time taken to test each watch / make adjustments.
Oryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 09:21 PM   #23
PP101
"TRF" Member

Do forum members ever try to use the services of an AD with its own workshop ? I came across this German AD who claims to have the largest workshop of any German AD, and it looks to be a very serious operation :-

https://www.blome-uhren.de/warum-blome-uhren/#team2

Without asking the question, I have no idea what they do and do not do, and what their turnaround times and charging rates are, but it seems unlikely that they would be worse than PP on either score, esp for UK customers who can currently benefit from the favourable FX rate.

I was told recently that PP are seeking to ensure that all AD have their own workshops (which I assume is not already the case).
Old 13 April 2015, 12:20 AM   #24
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

For non grand comps the Patek trained service tecnicians that work at AD's are good. Not all are created equal. Ask them what the highest level Patek the are certified to service is. Most of the larger ones in the US can do up to Annual Calendars. For me all grand comps go back to Patek.

Quote:
Do forum members ever try to use the services of an AD with its own workshop ? I came across this German AD who claims to have the largest workshop of any German AD, and it looks to be a very serious operation :-

https://www.blome-uhren.de/warum-blome-uhren/#team2

Without asking the question, I have no idea what they do and do not do, and what their turnaround times and charging rates are, but it seems unlikely that they would be worse than PP on either score, esp for UK customers who can currently benefit from the favourable FX rate.

I was told recently that PP are seeking to ensure that all AD have their own workshops (which I assume is not already the case).
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 12:09 PM   #25
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

So to reopen this with a question from a new owner - buying a 2008 5127. I can't imagine sending this watch in for servicing for a couple years. So my question is - what's the worst that can happen and what's likely to happen if I wait til the watch is ten years old? Thanks!!
Rmatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 04:24 PM   #26
lapince
"TRF" Member

About needing service I have a 15 year old Omega, never serviced and works fine, so if we are talking about "cheap" watches I wear until something is off and would service them not before the "off"… But as we know movements are lubricated with special oils which tend to dry up, wether you wear it or not, so when I will be at 5 years life time, I do say lifetime and not wrist time as it's from 2012 and I got it BNIB in 2014, so I will service it in 2017, we are talking about high end time pieces, where even a tiny part can cost a nice sum of money, so better to consider 2K every 5 years in service and replacement of some parts which are worn out, than wait it out and bring it when something is wrong, maybe you will need to pay 5K for parts that would be fine if you had done regular service, I mean you service your car right? So it's normal to service a high end timepiece...
Old 29 April 2015, 04:31 PM   #27
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmatlanta View Post
So to reopen this with a question from a new owner - buying a 2008 5127. I can't imagine sending this watch in for servicing for a couple years. So my question is - what's the worst that can happen and what's likely to happen if I wait til the watch is ten years old? Thanks!!
Well since the oils dry up you can have damage on some parts of the movement due to lack of lubricant, which means you might need to change parts and that could be expensive, if you read my previous post I go into details but to resume I have the intention to bring my Patek to service every 5 years, they say 3-5 but I think 5 is ok, regardless of the wrist time it's getting, of course if you have a "collection" piece, which you never wear and which sits in the safe, I would not touch it, but if you got it to wear it then service it as it should be