The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 February 2019, 08:54 AM   #91
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
True reality, Most times our watches don't get the credit they deserve but if you don't appreciate and flaunt it yourself, no one will do the job for you.
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 09:02 AM   #92
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

What proportion of people notice your watch is unknowable, because you only know someone’s noticed if they comment and whether they comment is a function of culture far more than it is a function of how notable watches are.

I strongly suspect there’s a big difference between the U.K. and many other places in this regard. We as a society don’t really talk to strangers. A stranger commenting on an Englishman’s watch would be seen as deeply weird, suspicious behaviour. It’s happened to me about three times in 10 years (excluding AD’s, natch) and my job involves talking, at arms length, to about 5000 different people a year. It’s never happened with a Rolex. Twice it occurred because the watch was frigging massive and orange and one of those was because the bloke who did the noticing was wearing the exact same reference.
Old 28 February 2019, 09:03 AM   #93
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I went into a Ben Bridges jeweler here in Houston TX just to browse as my better half wanted me to look and I had my Datejust on and as I was looking and asking questions I asked a question on accuracy on a particular piece and the Rep replied fairly good accuracy to which I made the statement without drawing attention to my watch that I was hoping to here better to which he stated and looked what I had on was in a totally different class so I’m guessing he noticed before I even said anything
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 09:51 AM   #94
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Every encounter I’ve had has been negative. Probably my fault, but when I’m doing “stuff” in public, I don’t usually feel like chatting about watches. I love talking about watches, but it has to be in context and standing around other non-watch people discussing very expensive things with strangers doesn’t do it for me.

-An AD or jewelry store, sure let’s talk.
-Any other situation in public, let’s leave it
Old 28 February 2019, 10:05 AM   #95
npx60
"TRF" Member

A watch person will notice a watch. As simple as that. But if you go into high end luxury shops, sales associates look at what you wear, to try and get an idea of if you are just browsing or if you are a real shopper.

I like watches, I always notice watches on others. Patek, Audemars, Cartier, Piaget, Omega... I love them all
npx60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 12:38 PM   #96
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
True story. I stepped into a G-Shock store months ago shopping for a birthday gift to a relative, and the young salesman noticed my Subc. He complimented it and asked me how much those things went for these days so I casually told him. His jaw dropped in disbelief. He obviously had limited knowledge as a very young guy about luxury watches, so I told him someday he would surely get one for himself. He smiled and handed me the watch I bought. It was then that I handed him my watch so he could try it on, which he gladly did. The glow in his eyes convinced me I was looking at a future WIS. Glad I did because there aren’t a lot of us out in the wild anymore, no thanks to the advent of ‘wearables’.
Great story. Was really nice of you to let him try your Sub. Thanks for sharing
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 01:40 PM   #97
Headhunter007
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 116619
I feel like my BLNR flys under the radar. The blue dial and bezel on my smurf is a different story. I catch people taking a look and then a double look all the time.

Love them both

Rolex 116619LB, 116719 BLRO
Panerai Pam 422, Pam 90
Headhunter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 02:20 PM   #98
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Black dial watch is usually harder to spot from afar. Try a white face watch and the chances of folks noticing it is higher.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 02:28 PM   #99
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
16710 pepsi on jubilee is easily the most “second glance” watch I own. I am not sure why nor what attracts non watch folk to it but, it gets the most attention. Ironic frankly, especially considering the other watches I have that seem to garner zero interest haha
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 02:29 PM   #100
dmy99
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapegoat View Post
Everyone here in SIN has a rolex. Nothing worth to point out here.

+1 - literally almost everyone on the street!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 02:43 PM   #101
Chaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 x 2
At a recent family dinner wearing chamapagne-dialed Daytona TT auntie pointed at the watch whispering to mom-in-law, "is that real gold? How much is it? More than 10 grand?" To which mom-in-law quietly nodded. Wouldnt have elicited that reaction with my SS SubC.
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 02:45 PM   #102
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I had an older hotel concierge in Panama comment on my Tudor Black Bay S&G. He asks how long I had had it I said a few months and he couldn’t believe it. Then he showed me his which was a Tudor Sub he bought in the ‘80s or ‘90s. I should have asked to swap!

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 03:00 PM   #103
MesaSean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711CHNR
Wearing my BLNR for about a year now and only once it got noticed.....and actually called "the Batman". I bought a Cadillac Escalade Platinum Package and the finance guy spotted it right away.

So I wore the hulk the next day when I picked it up to throw him off. Didn't work.

2019 GMT Master II 126711CHNR Root Beer
2017 Submariner Hulk 116610LV
2017 GMT Master II 116710BLNR Batman
https://www.instagram.com/mesa_sean/
MesaSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 10:29 PM   #104
Molnboman
"TRF" Member

Am totally addicted to wrist watching. Just find it fun to check what people wear day in day out. I fly quite a bit and it becomes a bit of a sport to try and watch what other passengers are wearing without you getting noticed. I try not to judge, just find it interesting to do. Yu do see some flashy watches on a flight sometimes....specially up front!
BR
MM
Molnboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 12:55 AM   #105
glamorama
"TRF" Member

What is the ratio of 'noticed' to 'noticed and commented on'?

I know Americans easily strike up a conversation with strangers but 99/100 times or less I believe people do not comment others watches. It's just a little creepy or inappropriate unless you have a natural reason to have a conversation and then mention it. Most people behave like Molnboman above even if they are into watches.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:33 AM   #106
heygawgaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 16600
first time my SD 16600 got noticed...guy said "nice Invicta!"
heygawgaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:38 AM   #107
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
BLNR like most other SS Rolex's will NEVER get noticed.

The only watch of mine that got any compliments was a DD40 president and RG skydweller. They are like 1000x more blingy and in your face than any SS Rolex.

My SS Panerai was the only other watch that got noticed ever.
Far the opposite for me the BLNR is ALWAYS getting noticed and getting compliments
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:42 AM   #108
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't like walking out of an AD with their bag as it marks you out as a buyer, so I take my own bag and put it in that.
Good idea!

Unfortunately the only thing in the AD bag when I walk out is a catalogue
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 01:55 AM   #109
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Really the only time when I go to an AD. I walk in and they know what I have on my wrist before I get close enough to talk.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:04 AM   #110
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
This is true its for us....unless its another watch person or you are in a AD of any brand. I was with a non-watch guy friend this past weekend. We were in a larger city that has an Omega boutique which I thought would be fun to stop in to. I had on my white Daytona C, I told my friend to watch how we were treated when we walked in. He was shocked at the attention we received, it was rather humorous but a great conversation ensued about the upcoming 321 chronograph movement coming out this spring.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:06 AM   #111
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Only two kinds of people notice watches...

Watch enthusiasts and criminals.

Since I am the former, I just noticed about a dozen Rolex references at my golf club this morning Everything from Daytonas to subs to presidents.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:06 AM   #112
rpl77
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC, 16710B
I was in the TSA pre-check line at the airport, when a guy a few people behind me yells "nice watch--how did you get it?" I was wearing my white DaytonaC at the time, and felt weird striking up a conversation with someone so I just said "thank you."
rpl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:12 AM   #113
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

You mean first time someone commented on your BLNR? With that blue bezel, I’m pretty sure many had noticed it but didn’t comment on it.
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 02:50 AM   #114
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
A couple of times people noticed and asked if it is a real Rolex to which I answered it looks real doesn't it?
One time a guy noticed my watch and said I would like to get an Invicta someday too
One time I was in a camera shop I frequented and got to know the manager quite well. I was wearing my TT GMT II C, he said "Wow, that's a nice watch". I said thank you, he went on to say "Knowing you it must be a real Rolex, it must have cost you over $500?" I said yeah a little over $500.

Most people have no clue what watch you are wearing and how much they are worth especially if I am wearing a JLC, Grand Seikos etc. which is how I like it.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 04:05 AM   #115
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

The only time some random person complimented my watch was at a Best Buy. "Nice Rolex". It was a BB GMT...
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 04:10 AM   #116
mangoseed
Banned

Just because no one says anything doesn't mean no one notices. I never say anything when I see someone else's watch.
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 04:37 AM   #117
Spectral_Method

I had one of the machinists at work comment "That's a nice looking watch" regarding my no-date sub. I really don't like to bring attention to it, so I just replied "oh, this is just a steel diving watch". At that point we just chit-chatted about scuba diving and nice beaches.

I seriously doubt he noticed it was a Rolex, It was probably the polished sides and shiny ceramic that caught his eye.
Spectral_Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 05:44 AM   #118
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebo View Post
Had my BLNR 18 months now and love it, wear it every day. Although I've stopped thinking about it mostly, its just "my watch".

Was at a casual bar/restaurant in Sydney last week and as the waiter delivered drinks he just quietly said "nice watch" and was gone, it even took me a few moments to process what he'd said.

I still remember feeling self conscious walking out of the AD in a not-wealthy part of the UK, I felt like everyone could see it and I would be mugged at any minute. Now I realise almost no-one notices our Rolexes, apart from other fans and really they're just for us, not to show off.
Lots of people notice Rolex’s. Every day I get on the train in to London and wear one of mine, I see guys double-take as they look at my wrist.

Many colleagues over the years have commented on the watch I’m wearing at the time.

On weekends and I’m in a shopping centre with my wife and I see other guys also looking at my wrist - many of which are also wearing a decent watch.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 07:38 AM   #119
lgn15
"TRF" Member

wow!!
lgn15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2019, 03:16 AM   #120
rhallmcp
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue & BLNR
my BLNR was noticed last week at a blackjack table in Vegas. the guy came up to me after we had sat across from each other for about 2 hours, and said "it was nice playing with you. im here for a jewelry convention. and i know exactly what you have on your wrist, and that's a really nice watch!" We chuckled a little, and the wife was right there, so i made sure she heard him acknowledge my watch... she rolled her eyes and said "yeah, i heard him" <- that made it totally worth it :)
rhallmcp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710blnr , compliment