The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 5 February 2009, 11:02 AM   #1
CTUgeepee
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 2
Seven days with the Deepsea

I bought my Deepsea a week ago and i wanted to share my initial impressions with the group. I paid way over the RRP for an 'unworn' pre-owned model, because (a) I was reliably informed repeatedly that there was a five-year waiting list in the UK; (b) UK prices are going up anyway. I'm overwhelmed! The Deepsea is big, it's over-engineered, it's serious and it's beautiful! It's big: it dominates my wrist and demands a bespoke double cuff shirt that covers it from the overly curious. It's over-engineered: the Glidelock mechanism is awesome in its precision. It's serious: the multiple seals and rings defy pressure and provide superb protection. It's beautiful: the ceramic bezel is smooth, elegant and classy. I so can't wait for someone to show off their timepiece in front of me, when i will paraphrase Crocodile Dundee: 'call that a watch? This is a watch!' I own a few other watches but I don't want to take the Deepsea off! i wish i was an octopus so i could wear them all (that would cost a fortune in bespoke double cuff shirts) but I need to start a rotation: three days Deepsea, one day another watch; three days Deepsea, one day another watch. I can't wait to go diving in it. The only downside: a week into ownership, i am still stripping off bits of plastic off the bracelet! I've read different nicknames for the Deepsea, eg, the Beast, or the Bugatti Veyron of watches. I notice that on this wonderful forum it is known as the DS, which is highly appropriate because 'DS' is French for 'goddess' (deesse). In my view, the Deepsea is the goddess of timepieces.
CTUgeepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2009, 08:59 PM   #2
mixedccr

Watch: deepsea
Congrats and welcome to the club!! No, its not over-engineered, no more then a ferrari/porsche/AMG/corvette stuck in rush hour traffic. Even when we're sitting to a 5 course gourmet dinner, i feel it holds its own with aplomb, compared to any 'bling-bling' you care to mention. But of course in the diving/technical diving environment, it is in its element. I must say the glidelock is a vast improvement over the SD4000 fliplock but abit more intricate with its levers and springs. If you care to take a 10x look at the bezel and compare to the other watches, i found it to be precise and intricate. You will soon find yourself 'baiting' strangers and friends alike, in order to use Dundees' quote.....Cheers!
mixedccr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2009, 10:12 AM   #3
CTUgeepee
"TRF" Member

Yep, it's got presence, all right. I love wearing it
Old 7 February 2009, 10:49 AM   #4
benjaminchia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTUgeepee View Post
I bought my Deepsea a week ago and i wanted to share my initial impressions with the group. I paid way over the RRP for an 'unworn' pre-owned model, because (a) I was reliably informed repeatedly that there was a five-year waiting list in the UK; (b) UK prices are going up anyway. I'm overwhelmed! The Deepsea is big, it's over-engineered, it's serious and it's beautiful! It's big: it dominates my wrist and demands a bespoke double cuff shirt that covers it from the overly curious. It's over-engineered: the Glidelock mechanism is awesome in its precision. It's serious: the multiple seals and rings defy pressure and provide superb protection. It's beautiful: the ceramic bezel is smooth, elegant and classy. I so can't wait for someone to show off their timepiece in front of me, when i will paraphrase Crocodile Dundee: 'call that a watch? This is a watch!' I own a few other watches but I don't want to take the Deepsea off! i wish i was an octopus so i could wear them all (that would cost a fortune in bespoke double cuff shirts) but I need to start a rotation: three days Deepsea, one day another watch; three days Deepsea, one day another watch. I can't wait to go diving in it. The only downside: a week into ownership, i am still stripping off bits of plastic off the bracelet! I've read different nicknames for the Deepsea, eg, the Beast, or the Bugatti Veyron of watches. I notice that on this wonderful forum it is known as the DS, which is highly appropriate because 'DS' is French for 'goddess' (deesse). In my view, the Deepsea is the goddess of timepieces.

nice words. couldn't agree more.
benjaminchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2009, 10:57 AM   #5
SirLoki
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminchia View Post
nice words. couldn't agree more.
x2!

RIP JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
The best bastidization I've ever seen on TRF!!
SirLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
PONY

Seven days with the DeepSea

Before the DeepSea came into my life, I was content to wear a different watch each day from my humble collection. It all began when my wife insisted we visit one of the newest " ROLEX " stores in our area. A small AD shop to be sure, but I was in for a surprise. Upon entering, I was greeted by two uniformed security officers and a tall man in a suit at the back of the store. A bit intimidating, but a necessary addition in a place like this.

There were three separate glass cases all filled with every model produced by the Rolex watch maker. The salesperson said they had the largest selection of any other AD store. " Yea, but I don't see the new Deep Sea. I'm on 2 waiting lists and have been told it might be a year before I can buy one. " He looked at me like a car salesman says " Are you going to buy a car today ", which of course I would say I was just looking around. The man behind the counter replied "That's unfortunate sir, I think I could have helped you today". He then walked away to the back of the store and opened a tall floor safe. He reached for something, handed it to the security officer, closed the safe and walked back to where I was about to exit the front door. The wife was still standing at the counter with a odd look on her face. She waved her right hand motioning me to come back. I did.

" We just brought this up from our other store about a 2 hours ago. It's a new model from Rolex for 2009. Care to see it?" What a dumb question I thought to ask. The box was huge covered by a white paper sleeve. He removed it then opened the green case. What happened next to me was the feeling of "Fight or Flight." There was a feeling that my heart was in my throat and I couldn't move my legs. I looked at the wife who was smiling at me as she said "Try it on". I asked the man if I could hold it, to which he said, " It's yours if you want it ". Then I saw my wife wink at the salesman, and I knew then that I had been set up. This was all planned my readers.

My wife whispered " It's time that you got something you really want ". "He"ll take it. " " Do you want to wear it sir? " At first I said no. Then a glance from my wife made me change my mind. I paid the man, shook the hands of everyone inside and walked out the door. As I stepped down to the curb, a voice asked " What time is it sir ?" It was the security guard smiling and giving me a thumbs up. That completed this memorable experience

I know the feeling as I'm sure all other SDDS owners do, that this watch just makes you feel special. I found myself staring at it all the way home. Heck, I even let the little women drive. Everyone can feel what it's like to be content just looking at an object which makes you smile. It's art for some. The Sea Dweller Deep Sea does that for me. I'm sure, if it hasn't already, it will do the same to you.
PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Joey_V
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub 16610 M
I wish my wrists were big enough for the deepsea....

Current Rotation: Rolex Submariner Date (M) - 1/08, Rolex Milgauss GV (V) - 2/10, Rolex SS Black Daytona (V) - 6/10, Rolex GMTIIC (G) - 5/11, TAG Heuer Silverstone (286/1860) - 1/2015
Former-watches: Omega PO/2535.80/2254, TAG Carrera/F1x2/Monaco, Panerai 312K/292L
Wish List: Panerai 270/505, Rolex SMURF, Rolex RG Daytona, Rolex DSSD
Joey_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2009, 06:24 PM   #8
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Nice stories guys! Post some pics if possible!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Big G
"TRF" Member

Just added one to my collection (SS Daytona, Yachtmaster, Panerai PAM 0111, Seamaster Pro and DeVille)

It is awesome

I wouldn't believe all of the waiting list hype though. When I called my usual dealer and was quoted "around 1 year" it was no surprise. I called my local dealer expecting the same and was told he may be able to get me one "very soon"

I left my number and expected the usual long wait

10 Days later the phone rang! A quick call to the bank to move some funds and bingo, on my wrist!!!

Couldn't beleive my luck.

I presume that the financial situation will shorten the list somewhat as peoples watches arrive and they realise that almost £6k can be difficult to justify to the wife (especially when you already have a draw full of other stuff!)
Big G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2009, 12:15 PM   #10
dex

pictures will be nice...excellent watch
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 02:35 AM   #11
nwappraisals

Great post, I hope there will be pics
nwappraisals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 05:57 AM   #12
Subexplorer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
CTUgeepee and Pony:

Both Great stories! Thank you for sharing!!
I bought a DSSD too, last week. Awesome watch indeed!

I guess everybody will appreciate a follow up post with pictures. I already saw post with Pony´s nice review, but more pictures will be appreciated.
Enjoy your watches!
Best regards, Abel

50 Years of ROLEX Passion!
Grail Rolex: 5508 c. 1959 "Bond" Sub.
Subexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 01:47 AM   #13
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

Well now we get all these stories about Deep Sea watches, and wives that say yes to us getting them and winking at sales people. So two things.

1) Post pix of the watches
2) Post pix of the women who winked at saklesmen so you could get the watch.
Why Number 2.

We all want to know what a class act looks like, and perhaps we may even be related and she will wink at another salesman and I too can get a DS.
Parachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 02:03 AM   #14
clew84
"TRF" Member

Watch: me soar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY View Post
Before the DeepSea came into my life, I was content to wear a different watch each day from my humble collection. It all began when my wife insisted we visit one of the newest " ROLEX " stores in our area. A small AD shop to be sure, but I was in for a surprise. Upon entering, I was greeted by two uniformed security officers and a tall man in a suit at the back of the store. A bit intimidating, but a necessary addition in a place like this.

There were three separate glass cases all filled with every model produced by the Rolex watch maker. The salesperson said they had the largest selection of any other AD store. " Yea, but I don't see the new Deep Sea. I'm on 2 waiting lists and have been told it might be a year before I can buy one. " He looked at me like a car salesman says " Are you going to buy a car today ", which of course I would say I was just looking around. The man behind the counter replied "That's unfortunate sir, I think I could have helped you today". He then walked away to the back of the store and opened a tall floor safe. He reached for something, handed it to the security officer, closed the safe and walked back to where I was about to exit the front door. The wife was still standing at the counter with a odd look on her face. She waved her right hand motioning me to come back. I did.

" We just brought this up from our other store about a 2 hours ago. It's a new model from Rolex for 2009. Care to see it?" What a dumb question I thought to ask. The box was huge covered by a white paper sleeve. He removed it then opened the green case. What happened next to me was the feeling of "Fight or Flight." There was a feeling that my heart was in my throat and I couldn't move my legs. I looked at the wife who was smiling at me as she said "Try it on". I asked the man if I could hold it, to which he said, " It's yours if you want it ". Then I saw my wife wink at the salesman, and I knew then that I had been set up. This was all planned my readers.

My wife whispered " It's time that you got something you really want ". "He"ll take it. " " Do you want to wear it sir? " At first I said no. Then a glance from my wife made me change my mind. I paid the man, shook the hands of everyone inside and walked out the door. As I stepped down to the curb, a voice asked " What time is it sir ?" It was the security guard smiling and giving me a thumbs up. That completed this memorable experience

I know the feeling as I'm sure all other SDDS owners do, that this watch just makes you feel special. I found myself staring at it all the way home. Heck, I even let the little women drive. Everyone can feel what it's like to be content just looking at an object which makes you smile. It's art for some. The Sea Dweller Deep Sea does that for me. I'm sure, if it hasn't already, it will do the same to you.
Nice story - that is a GREAT buying experience!! Love the last part where the security guard asks you the time with a thumbs-up. Perfect.

BTW, does you wife have a sister??
Autodromo Prototipo
clew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2009, 03:16 PM   #15
Frank Grayson
"TRF" Member

Question ?

How about comparing the deep sea to the Submariner Steel.
Will not be using the deep sea for diving.
Tried on the Sub . Steel . Liked it , looked and felt good .
Concerned about the weight difference and size difference.
Any thoughts.
This will be my first Rolex purchase.
Frank Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2009, 06:04 PM   #16
nikhileshsingh

Watch: Sub, Explorer II
Pics please
nikhileshsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2009, 03:27 AM   #17
CTUgeepee
"TRF" Member

I'm working on the pix; am not technically the sharpest tool in the box
Old 8 March 2009, 11:47 AM   #18
txbikerdude

txbikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2009, 12:08 PM   #19
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
congrats and welcome to Deep Sea club.
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2009, 02:12 PM   #20
tthopp05

Watch: THE MIGHTY DEEPSEA
Another Deepsea club member that cannot and will not take off my watch,EVER.lol
Best watch out there.
tthopp05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2009, 04:54 PM   #21
leicashot
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEIKO SLA033
Both great stories, but...

......this one got me going....every man's dream, well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONY View Post

leicashot is offline   Reply With Quote