The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 17 February 2024, 10:13 AM   #1
horologymania
"TRF" Member

Watch: 222
Got scammed by the Roger Dubuis Seoul Boutique

Here, I would like to document the extremely negative experience I’ve had purchasing two Roger Dubuis flagship models — the red Excalibur Spider Pirelli and the ceramic Excalibur 42mm.

Although the salesman at the RD Boutique insisted that the DLC on their watches never wears off, it did eventually begin to wear off on my red Pirelli in about a year. If I had known, I would have never even thought about purchasing it. In the past ten years of my watch collecting journey, I’ve never had a boutique salesperson lie about such a core attribute just to make sales happen.

In addition, when the rubber strap for the new ceramic Excalibur initially came out, the salesman at the Korean boutique stated that I will have to wait a year for the strap delivery, unless it is bundled with another watch purchase. That statement also ended up being a total lie, as I actually found out that it was immediately available for pick up at other boutiques in Seoul.

I still think the Ceramic Excalibur is a pretty nice watch, although neither of the strap pairing options look quite perfect. In my honest opinion, the watch looks either too bold on its default calf-skin configuration or gimmicky on rubber.

The quick release strap system sounds high-tech and convenient, but is actually what makes the watch a US$70,000 nightmare. Roger Dubuis only offers three different strap pairing options for the ceramic Excalibur — Alligator, Calf and Rubber. Their patented strap change system means that the buyer is forever stuck with only the three options from the manufacturer, which are US$500 a pop and just poorly designed imo. The quick release buckle is also extremely uncomfortable, making the watch not very wearable.

That being said, I would never ever buy another RD again based on my encounters with the dishonest sales people (at the Korean boutiques especially) who are willing to say almost anything to get you to purchase their products.

For those who would contemplate purchasing a Roger Dubuis, please do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY FROM A BOUTIQUE. Their contemporary products are available for 60% off the retail price in the grey market.
horologymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 10:27 AM   #2
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I'm surprised they don't use ceramic instead of DLC at that price point. Like you said, DLC definitely does wear very easily and yes RD is a steep discount 2nd hand. I see them at huge discounts from retail on various sites all the time. Live & learn I guess. It's too bad the retailer was dishonest with you :\
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2024, 12:31 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Good looking piece nonetheless.
Old 17 February 2024, 07:01 PM   #4
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

It must be so disappointing, but so typical of many salespeople. Nonetheless you have 2 superb watches. Perhaps trying to locate a bespoke strap maker might help. Is there no warranty in place to cover the dlc issues?
Old 18 February 2024, 12:38 AM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Sorry that this happened. The watches look nice but not a brand I would consider, especially after your experience.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 12:45 AM   #6
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Definitely a terrible experience for you OP. Surprised you believed that a coating on metal would not wear. To my knowledge, there is no such thing.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 08:26 AM   #7
Archetype
"TRF" Member

Have you thought of reporting this to RD? and with respect but why did you buy RD from a boutique and not from the grey market? This crystalizes your loses.
Archetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 04:54 PM   #8
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
These watches look pretty nice. Too bad service so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 05:09 PM   #9
dlddrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, DD, BLNR, ND
Those are pretty unique looking watches, but I can’t see where the wear is that you’re talking about, or am I just blind. Also, the straps shown in the picture match the watch quite well, it’s sporty and rugged-looking at the same time which is what the watch conveys.
dlddrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2024, 06:47 PM   #10
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Bold headline!

If you feel that the Sales Person has lied to you, did you try to bring it up with the Boutique Manager and/or the HG.

All Coatings are just like that. They will wear off partly sooner or later
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 09:39 AM   #11
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the boutique. As some others have noted, really cool unique pieces you picked up, sucks the quick release system isn't designed well...
PBJ1925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2024, 10:01 AM   #12
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
The red one is sick looking.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 08:19 AM   #13
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
60 percent discount should of been the key to think twice......
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2024, 09:34 AM   #14
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Not sure that I see a "scam" here, sales staff often don't know everything about the products they sell.

DLC is a coating and it will almost always wear or scratch over time and use, it is not impervious.
Old 7 March 2024, 07:30 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Interesting looking watches for sure. Any watch which loses a lot of value will cause angst at some point for most people.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 08:10 AM   #16
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Not sure that I see a "scam" here, sales staff often don't know everything about the products they sell.

DLC is a coating and it will almost always wear or scratch over time and use, it is not impervious.
Yeah....

I hate that the OP had a horrible experience and feels disenfranchised, but I run into a lot of sales agents that know jack squat about their product.

You should hear what I've been told on car lots. Two minutes on a manufacturers website and I know more than 90% of car dealer sales guys/gals.

I've had similar experiences in watch stores that sell multiple brands. At a WOS in SLC, I asked to see a GS "9F GMT" and the girl had no clue what I was talking about. When she said she liked my watch and asked me what it was, I told her it was a SBGM221 and she asked if that was still made.
She was super young and friendly and I respected her very much for having a job and being a full time student. Just pointing out that you don't need to be a watch nerd to work at a watch place.

That said, I would expect a lot more from a high end boutique. I have zero problem with "I'm not sure, but I can find out for you". Being blindly lied to in order to close a sale is a different matter though.

That red one is pretty freaking cool though OP!
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote