The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 February 2017, 09:41 AM   #1
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master ll
Grand Seiko worth the money

There's been some pretty good threads on the grand Seiko line I decided to start my own by bringing up the point of many similarities between their Top Line and their présage
line or better said between the grand Seiko line and the the Seiko Présage.

There's been talk seiko are changing logos on their watches and so on and so forth there's no question they are an incredible watch however as of pointed out before marketing is still huge and when a watch is not associated to be a Top tier watch many people have issues spending 5 - 8000k on one.

Please have a look at the two pictures I have posted here my question to all of you whether you're a fan of the GS or not would you pay that kind of money for a GS when a similar watch can be bought for say 600 dollars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_8729-81iA1kn77mL._UY700_-207572544.jpg (66.8 KB, 1727 views)
File Type: jpg tmp_8729-51TpMd6_67L._UY700_-1455991258.jpg (53.4 KB, 1722 views)
Old 28 February 2017, 10:27 AM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Probably a great photoshop here makes the 600 one look great, IRL I would imagine the difference as huge
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 11:27 AM   #3
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax21 View Post
There's been some pretty good threads on the grand Seiko line I decided to start my own by bringing up the point of many similarities between their Top Line and their présage
line or better said between the grand Seiko line and the the Seiko Présage.

There's been talk seiko are changing logos on their watches and so on and so forth there's no question they are an incredible watch however as of pointed out before marketing is still huge and when a watch is not associated to be a Top tier watch many people have issues spending 5 - 8000k on one.

Please have a look at the two pictures I have posted here my question to all of you whether you're a fan of the GS or not would you pay that kind of money for a GS when a similar watch can be bought for say 600 dollars
similar?

stop with the cartoon photos and go hold both side by side and also understand your 'movements'.

is a steinhart the same as a rolex?????

speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 11:32 AM   #4
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Probably a great photoshop here makes the 600 one look great, IRL I would imagine the difference as huge
Both pictures were downloaded from Amazon.ca and can be purchased through Amazon
Old 28 February 2017, 11:33 AM   #5
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
similar?

stop with the cartoon photos and go hold both side by side and also understand your 'movements'.

is a steinhart the same as a rolex?????

I can respect that I know the movements are completely different merely asking the opinion of whether or not you would pay the extra money also they look similar
Old 28 February 2017, 11:37 AM   #6
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
I can respect that I know the movements are completely different merely asking the opinion of whether or not you would pay the extra money also they look similar
if looks is all you want buy the presage

make sure you grab the invicta over rolex as well

ive seen a few watches at the variety store that look like Patek Phillipes with diamonds in Toronto

im sure you can find a timex that looks like that presage as well at walmart

Old 28 February 2017, 11:41 AM   #7
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I respect GS but would not buy one.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 12:21 PM   #8
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Pretty sure the first pic has heavy PS work done and the second is a rendering (not a real pic). Google real pics of both pieces and have a look. GS provides great value for the finishing work. However, branding means a lot to some and everything else falls second.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
The SARX quality is top notch. Not sure if I'm ready to fork out for a GS.

Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 01:19 PM   #10
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

I think the same question can be asked with respect to numerous pairs of similar looking watches. And it's a fair question.

I have both a GS and a model from Presage line. Unlike your pair, mine do not look similar so I didn't have the choice you're describing.

As others have pointed out, and as I'm sure you'd expect yourself, there is a material difference between finish and feel of the GS and Presage watches I own. You can see it and you can feel it.

In terms of functionality, do I notice much or any difference? Probably not. Both tell the time, are three handers, and tell the date. Is one more accurate than the other? I don't care' I'm not checking daily variations.

You really need to get examples of both in hand to see if for you the difference is something you want to pay for. You might or you might not, but only having them both in hand will let you make that determination.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2017, 02:54 PM   #11
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Frankly the GS models are underpriced based on the quality of the movements and the finishing of the cases and bracelets. If you need name brand reassurance above appreciating the quality of the GS with your own eyes, then buy Rolex.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 09:33 AM   #12
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
if looks is all you want buy the presage

make sure you grab the invicta over rolex as well

ive seen a few watches at the variety store that look like Patek Phillipes with diamonds in Toronto

im sure you can find a timex that looks like that presage as well at walmart

Well truth be told I do own that very presage watch I just wanted to use pictures that were active and watches that were available on Amazon.

I really don't think you can compare my question comparing a GS to the SP in the same light is comparing a Rolex to invicta... these are still quality Seiko pieces made in Japan in the case of the PRESAGE
Old 1 March 2017, 10:20 AM   #13
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Well truth be told I do own that very presage watch I just wanted to use pictures that were active and watches that were available on Amazon.

I really don't think you can compare my question comparing a GS to the SP in the same light is comparing a Rolex to invicta... these are still quality Seiko pieces made in Japan in the case of the PRESAGE

make no mistake my friend as nice as your presage is....its no GS

not even remotely close

LMFAO

do some research on GS before spouting off on crap
Old 1 March 2017, 01:59 PM   #14
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
make no mistake my friend as nice as your presage is....its no GS

not even remotely close

LMFAO

do some research on GS before spouting off on crap
I appreciate your opinion however the true question here is...Is a Grand Seiko really worth the kind of money that they're asking for when they make a watch that is in many ways looks the same... please refer to the photos that I have posted if you wish to answer the question
Old 1 March 2017, 02:07 PM   #15
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

You can't just look at the superficialities of two watches using pictures: that's a lazy way to answering the question.When you look closely at the movement in a GS you get to see how much more work has gone into it. Look at the finishing on the case and bracelet and the same applies. The quality of the work is easily the equal of Rolex and Omega. The only real way to answer the question for yourself is to get off your a** and visit a GS AD.
Old 1 March 2017, 03:13 PM   #16
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
You can't just look at the superficialities of two watches using pictures: that's a lazy way to answering the question.When you look closely at the movement in a GS you get to see how much more work has gone into it. Look at the finishing on the case and bracelet and the same applies. The quality of the work is easily the equal of Rolex and Omega. The only real way to answer the question for yourself is to get off your a** and visit a GS AD.

Well truth be told I own many watches I visit a AD s quite often in fact I've seen these watches many times at dealers and although as i ve probably mentioned.

I can respect the quality the question Still Remains would you buy it based on the fact that a similar watch sells for about $600 obviously the quality cannot be the same.. if Rolex made a Submariner like days past aka Tudor Submariner instead of a Rolex movement they put say an ETA movement say made them very similar in the way they looked would you buy it...
Old 1 March 2017, 05:58 PM   #17
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

I'd buy the GS. There are loads of watches that look like other watches, but to me, a great watch is more than just looks. The GS watches are top notch...the finishing on the hands is especially jaw dropping...they're like miniature swords.

You can buy a Squale that looks like a Sub, but it's not a Sub. If the meaningful similarity to the individual is looks, I'd advise to save the cash. But if they appreciate the other differences...movements, engineering, finishing, etc. then the price difference may be worth it to them.

I do think the $600 Seiko is a winner as well. To me, Seiko make some of the best value watches across all price points, Seiko 5, Presage, GS, Credor, etc.
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2017, 06:14 PM   #18
yoast
"TRF" Member

I can appreciate the GS, but somehow they always remind me of the story of the Volkwagen Phaeton.
Old 1 March 2017, 10:37 PM   #19
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRust View Post
I'd buy the GS. There are loads of watches that look like other watches, but to me, a great watch is more than just looks. The GS watches are top notch...the finishing on the hands is especially jaw dropping...they're like miniature swords.

You can buy a Squale that looks like a Sub, but it's not a Sub. If the meaningful similarity to the individual is looks, I'd advise to save the cash. But if they appreciate the other differences...movements, engineering, finishing, etc. then the price difference may be worth it to them.

I do think the $600 Seiko is a winner as well. To me, Seiko make some of the best value watches across all price points, Seiko 5, Presage, GS, Credor, etc.
Well said and great point
Old 2 March 2017, 01:02 AM   #20
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Aesthetics are easily copied to create a pastiche of the original. The test comes with knowing whats in side. You can buy a cheap facsimile of a Rolex Sub, but it doesn't have the quality of movement or protection. If you only want the look of an original then go to Canal St. in NYC and buy a $50 fake and be done with it.

By the way you keep asking the same question that's what you're looking for: an excuse not to spend the money but to get away with something at a much lower price that resembles the original.

Personally I would have no hesitation about buying a GS. They represent very good value for what they offer.
Old 2 March 2017, 01:08 AM   #21
ijpx
"TRF" Member

For those living outside Japan, GS is refreshing but I think for the money I'll just get a Rolex like the local Japanese.
ijpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2017, 04:02 AM   #22
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

i get the feeling that the op wants to hear that he has the better value with the presage.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2017, 06:08 AM   #23
madmax21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
i get the feeling that the op wants to hear that he has the better value with the presage.
Know if that were the case I wouldn't have even posted it. I'm just looking to see what the feeling is in the watch community ultimately I may buy one either way regardless the opinions given
Old 2 March 2017, 06:21 AM   #24
Credor911
Banned

You need to do some research to form your own opinion. Personally, I would pay rolex prices for GS. And I firmly believe that GS makes better quality pieces than Rolex. My only complaint with GS is that the case is too thick compared to rolex. The finishing and movement hiwever is better.
Credor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2017, 08:13 AM   #25
goodgulf
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credor911 View Post
You need to do some research to form your own opinion. Personally, I would pay rolex prices for GS. And I firmly believe that GS makes better quality pieces than Rolex. My only complaint with GS is that the case is too thick compared to rolex. The finishing and movement hiwever is better.
Better than Rolex?

Oh, nevermind. You did say better than Rolex.
goodgulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2017, 08:18 AM   #26
Magwitch
Banned

I'll match the GS Spring Drive with a Rolex in fit and finish easily. And the unique movement. It's worth the 5K

Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2017, 08:52 AM   #27
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgulf View Post
Better than Rolex?

Oh, nevermind. You did say better than Rolex.
and he's right

GS has long been referred to as the japanese rolex
Old 2 March 2017, 08:57 AM   #28
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Only you can say if the value is there for you.
Old 2 March 2017, 09:06 AM   #29
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570.. gone...
I am struggling with the same question. I really love the Seiko Spring Drive and am considering between the GS and Brightz SDGM003. But the Spring Drive is really cool but in the end - can I justify speeding several thousand $'s on a watch with a big "Seiko" on the dial?

My wife is usually my sanity check. She has no problem with me shelling out big $ for a Rolex or Omega but she thinks I am crazy to spend over $600 for a Seiko.

(She also calls my Zenith "that watch from the TV maker..." LOL...)
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2017, 09:30 AM   #30
Wingman244
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570.. gone...
Here is a better comparison from cheap to expensive.... SARB to Brightz SDGM to Grand Seiko Spring Drive...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeikoRange.jpg (69.6 KB, 1407 views)
Wingman244 is offline   Reply With Quote