The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 12 November 2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
Read Between The Lines . . .

Hi Pen Buddies, I meant that literally, please read the writing between the lines since it appears too light. What should I do differently?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0002.jpg (35.4 KB, 106 views)
Old 12 November 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
shandy
Banned

I really love your handwriting Faith! As to the question.

I find fine nibs always lay down a lighter line that the broad ones. Also it might be that it could be improved by increasing the ink flow so that it is a wetter writer as the fine nib might let less volume of ink through.
I have heard some folks run a thin piece of plastic , like the wall of a yogurt carton between the tines so that the ink flows more freely but I have not done that myself, I am not brave enough for such measures

If you have a converter it might be worth trying some noodlers ink as that is well know to be a very fluid ink!

Other than that do for a broader nib. Sorry I can't be more help.
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 12:36 PM   #3
shandy
Banned

Oh yes, one more thing. You might want to put a little more pressure on the nib as you put it to paper so that you can see the tines seperate slightly, this may widen the distance a little and help.
Old 12 November 2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Faith,

Before you filled the pen, did you prepare it for ink?

Most FP aficionados believe that it is best to prep the pen by rinsing it with a combination of dish soap and water. That would be about 1 tsp of soap per quart of water. Then rinse the pen thoroughly.

This will rid the pen of any residues left behind from the manufacturing.

Good luck!

And, yes! Your handwriting is to be envied!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 01:07 PM   #5
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Faith,

Before you filled the pen, did you prepare it for ink?

Most FP aficionados believe that it is best to prep the pen by rinsing it with a combination of dish soap and water. That would be about 1 tsp of soap per quart of water. Then rinse the pen thoroughly.

This will rid the pen of any residues left behind from the manufacturing.

Good luck!

And, yes! Your handwriting is to be envied!
I totaly forgot that bit Richard!
Old 12 November 2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Lol-x
Facilitator

I never knew to do that rinsing, thanks for the tip off

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Lol-x
Facilitator

Faith is that your new Lamy you are using?

I feel that the nib on my Lamy doesn't allow the ink to flow freely enough. I'm not sure what to do.

I went to the Noodlers website and they say that there should be a very small gap at the end of the tines such that you can fit a fine piece of paper between them. I know that is impossible on my Lamy.

See the link:
http://www.noodlersink.com/nibs.html

I think the problem is with the nib, if my Lamy is anything to go by, and I have the extra broad nib in mine, so with your finer nib I'm guessing that the problem may be even more significant for you.

Any more information you can provide might enable more assistance to be rendered

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 12 November 2009, 01:46 PM   #8
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Also to consider is what paper are you using?
Is this one of those 60gsm paper with recycled content or it's smoother and thicker?
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

First, thank you one and all for your help. I wish I knew enough about fps to formulate other questions. The only question I have at this point is: Did I make a mistake not purchasing a converter? I attempted to place a thin piece of paper between the tines, but I was unable - not enough room. Despite these difficulties, using a fp seems like a fun way to write. I am really enamored with the Pelikan Demonstrator M205 and am thinking of purchasing it, but don't want to encounter the same problems. I will post a picture of this pen, it's simple and just a beautiful shade of blue. Should I move forward with the Pelikan or order a converter for the Lamy? Any thoughts? BTW, I want you guys to know that I appreciate your feedback and expertise. I feel like I'm asking very basic questions but this is a new type of pen for me, and we all have to gain knowledge somehow and sometime. Thanks again. Faith
Old 12 November 2009, 02:10 PM   #10
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

I love this pen. I love Pelikans because they are lightweight yet well-made. This particular pen appeals to me because it is simple, the color is pretty and I think it's neat that you can see its inner workings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pilot Demonstrator.jpg (21.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 12 November 2009, 02:11 PM   #11
2careless
"TRF" Member

The choice of using a convertor vs a cartridge is mostly on practicality.
Convertor means you can go and buy bottles of ink and fill in all kinds of different color/viscosity/scent to your delights. The down side is that bottle ink is not convenient e.g. you need one bottle (or more) at work and at home.
Cartridge you have fewer choices of inks but they are easily portable. Also, in terms of cost cartridges are much more expensive than bottles.

Last, some small pens are cartridge filled only so the choice is already taken away from you and if you want to use different inks the only option is to get a syringe with a blunt tip to transfer ink from bottle to a used cartridge and then fill up.
Old 12 November 2009, 02:19 PM   #12
shandy
Banned

Thinking on it Faith, when I have used Cartridges I have found the flow not to be as good, I don't know if they use a thicker ink but in any case I would highly recommend a converter, they are very cheap and open you up to a myriad of possibilities with ink. I would recommend FPH's ink review section, it is very well done!

You would also be stepping up quite a bit with the Pelikan, Every one I have used has had really nice juicy nibs and if you are thinking of one any way you have nothing to lose!

Do you prefer fine nibs? If you are not fussed then certainly try a medium or broader nib.

Also you might want to consider ordering the Pelikan from a Nib meister like John Mottishaw. The reason I say that is that he makes sure the pen will write just how you want it to.. This service is not to be underestimated! the standard service that costs no more than the pen is to assure that the ink flow is how you want it. you can take it from there but the costs do add up!
Old 12 November 2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

I love the different colored inks, and as a young girl, I had a pen with perfumed ink. It was wonderful! I think the next time around I will get a converter. In fact, if memory serves, the Pelikan may only be available using this method. I feel like I've received an entire pen education in the short time this "Writing Section" has been up and running. This has become my favorite part of the forums!

Most everyone posting in this section has such sophisticated tastes. While I'm glad I own the 2 Mont Blancs, I love Pelikans best because they make writing a joy. MBs become heavy very quickly. I don't aspire to own pens costing as much as the budget for a third world country, but when I look at some of the pens you guys have posted, it's very impressive! I will look into John Mottishaw's services. Thank you so much!
Old 12 November 2009, 02:20 PM   #14
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
I love this pen. I love Pelikans because they are lightweight yet well-made. This particular pen appeals to me because it is simple, the color is pretty and I think it's neat that you can see its inner workings.
That is a very fine looking pen!
Old 12 November 2009, 02:23 PM   #15
shandy
Banned

I just saw that Richard Binder, another incredible nibmeister has these pens, he is fantastic as well as well as Greg Menuskin (think that is how you spell his name!)
Oh yes, the Pelikan is a piston filler so lovely and simple to fill!
Old 12 November 2009, 02:27 PM   #16
2careless
"TRF" Member

Personally I have my reservations on demonstrators. It's good and fine when there is water or no ink inside the pen. Once inked, if the piston is not clean then there will be ink residue on the "dry" side of the piston and over time this will look very dirty. I'd rather getting an opaque barrel - no see, no pain.
Just my 2c.
Old 12 November 2009, 02:30 PM   #17
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Personally I have my reservations on demonstrators. It's good and fine when there is water or no ink inside the pen. Once inked, if the piston is not clean then there will be ink residue on the "dry" side of the piston and over time this will look very dirty. I'd rather getting an opaque barrel - no see, no pain.
Just my 2c.
Is there any way to clean it periodically to mitigate residue?
Old 12 November 2009, 02:36 PM   #18
smc

Watch: 16610 - Y
Beautiful handwriting :)

the first thing I would check is whether it is clean or not. Both from dried ink and from lint or other fibers. Another thing that would cause this is a misshapen nib. I can't say I've ever used a nib that had a gap large enough for a piece of paper to fit in. More likely however is the angle you are holding the pen at. Most fountain pens need to be held at a less steep angle from the paper (not as vertical) as compared to ball points. The last tip would be to work it in to your style of grip.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2009, 03:30 PM   #19
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is there any way to clean it periodically to mitigate residue?
It really depends on the pen design and to that I'm a newbie.
Sorry I can't be of help here.

I suppose ask the pen shop how to clean it. They should know :-)
Old 12 November 2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Lol-x
Facilitator

Faith, this is what I would do.

1. Get the Pelikan if you really like it, I thought the FPH had these on special. Pelikans are great pens, just make sure if you can to try it out first or get a nib that you know you will like. I personally would forget about fine and medium tips, get something broad or broader and oblique too will give you a great line variation.

2. Get the Lamy nib changed, just tell the seller it isn't working properly. Maybe get a broader nib. Somehow I don't think going from a cartridge to a converter may cure the flow situation, but for the $10 it costs for the converter it's worth a try.

3. As Kai suggests try writing on some other type of paper, that can make a difference.

4. I promise you that a broader nib will give you a juicer flow of ink and a more distinctive line to your writing (i'm not criticising your writing for one moment).

5. If you can go the shop and try the different nibs on offer.

This isn't as good as it gets, this isn't how it's meant to be, you do need to persevere a you will get a very wonderful pen and when you do you will be so happy I promise you. Don't give up. Just think of this as part of the journey that will make the result all that more fulfilling, true!!!

Old 12 November 2009, 05:24 PM   #21
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Faith, this is what I would do.

1. Get the Pelikan if you really like it, I thought the FPH had these on special. Pelikans are great pens, just make sure if you can to try it out first or get a nib that you know you will like.
:
Thanks for all your help, Steve. And as far as purchasing the Pelikan is concerned - break my arm. I'm not going to try to salvage the Lamy as I have my heart set on that demonstrator model; I just love that blue! I'm going to find a stationery store here in Philly where I can at least hold these pens in my hand even if I am unable to write with them. The next post you see might well be that Pelikan!
Old 13 November 2009, 12:49 AM   #22
shandy
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all your help, Steve. And as far as purchasing the Pelikan is concerned - break my arm. I'm not going to try to salvage the Lamy as I have my heart set on that demonstrator model; I just love that blue! I'm going to find a stationery store here in Philly where I can at least hold these pens in my hand even if I am unable to write with them. The next post you see might well be that Pelikan!
Hi Faith.
I was just looking at Glenn Marcus's
site http://www.glennspens.ca/ ( a local fellow here nad a great resource for all things pen!) and he recommends this store in your city, not sure if they do Pelikan though!

Holt's Cigars
1522 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

2154-732-8500

I agree with Steve, if you can get yourself a broader nib you won't regret it, lot of ink flow and much nicer line variation. You have lovely handwriting and I can only imagine what it would be like with a broader nib or a stub or italic!

This might give you an idea. They are samples of what the different Pelikan nibs offer!
Old 13 November 2009, 01:24 AM   #23
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
I am SO taking notes!

If Santa doesn't bring me a fountain pen, I am getting one myself!
Old 13 November 2009, 01:41 AM   #24
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Hi Faith, don't know a thing about pens, just wanted to say you have nice writing

Al
AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 04:27 AM   #25
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Thanks, Shandy, very helpful. I will call over to Holt's today to inquire about that pen.

Al, thank you so much for the nice compliment.
Old 13 November 2009, 09:36 AM   #26
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Faith,

I have been to Holts and loved that shop. I went for cigars, but did see a lot of nice pens while visiting.

Now make sure you pick yourself up a nice Arturo Fuente Chateau to smoke with you are writing with that new Pel! You will be surprised how well a fine pen and fine cigar go together.

And be sure and post a photo of you utilizing both!
Old 13 November 2009, 09:49 AM   #27
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Love your handwriting Faith!!

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2009, 10:07 AM   #28
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Just what the situation calls for - a nice (Cuban?) cigar to smoke while I am writing hate mail to the tobacco industry! All that's left is for me to break open a can of beer and look for a good ballgame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CopyofGraceSlick-1.jpg (27.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 13 November 2009, 10:08 AM   #29
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Schroder,

Thanks for the kind words, Sub Guy! (Congratulations!)
Old 13 November 2009, 11:20 AM   #30
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just what the situation calls for - a nice (Cuban?) cigar to smoke while I am writing hate mail to the tobacco industry! All that's left is for me to break open a can of beer and look for a good ballgame.

Faith!!!!!

I love your hair like that!!!