The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 October 2006, 01:25 PM   #31
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
Well now your prices are on par with the rest of north america. Us Cdns have been paying a lot more retail than you guys for a long time. Maybe you guys will start seeing a little more discounting.
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 02:01 PM   #32
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
I'm glad I got my SD when I did!

A couple observations.
  1. Do you think this will cause or allow other watch makers who sort of compete to ALSO raise their pricing?
  2. I think the ADs will be forced to discount steeply. Selling every watch to the ADs doesn't mean they really sell all the watches. When the ADs back off their purchasing Rolex will have to take notice.
  3. Isn't this what Rolex wants? To make the watch unobtainable to the AVERAGE man, something that requires a person to go that "extra mile" to obtain.

Y'all let me know if I'm way off base. I'm not really a WIS, I don't have a budget for this stuff.

TIA

Mitch
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 02:45 PM   #33
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRonin View Post
I'm glad I got my SD when I did!

A couple observations.
  1. Do you think this will cause or allow other watch makers who sort of compete to ALSO raise their pricing?
  2. I think the ADs will be forced to discount steeply. Selling every watch to the ADs doesn't mean they really sell all the watches. When the ADs back off their purchasing Rolex will have to take notice.
  3. Isn't this what Rolex wants? To make the watch unobtainable to the AVERAGE man, something that requires a person to go that "extra mile" to obtain.

Y'all let me know if I'm way off base. I'm not really a WIS, I don't have a budget for this stuff.

TIA

Mitch
You are not way off base, you have the right to make comments and state your opinions here. And we thank you for doing so.

First off the last couple of years I have noticed that the US has taken a bigger hit when it comes to price increases across the board with other brands. This is like I have said in other threads largely due to the US dollar and how it trades with the Euro. Now what makes it even rougher for you guys is that Rolex USA controls things and not Rolex HQ(Switzerland) since they have made some rules about importing and stuff like that (customs works with them obviously) they have Americans by the "you know whats"

I doubt ADs will discount too much as their cost price has gone up as well.

ROLEX USA (which is independent in its operations AFAIK) is in control not ROLEX, but the bottom line is that Rolex and Rolex USA want to sell watches and as many of them as possible. They are not a company that cares about exclusivity, after all they make about 800,000 watches a year.
Old 3 October 2006, 02:49 PM   #34
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
Thank you sir.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 02:55 PM   #35
ismvli
"TRF" Member

Would think, other countries will follow the price increase?
ismvli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 03:20 PM   #36
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismvli View Post
Would think, other countries will follow the price increase?
From what I have seen in the last 3 years, US price hikes have been the highest compared to other countries. I could be wrong.
Old 3 October 2006, 04:12 PM   #37
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Just remember that ROLEX USA controls its own pricing and its not because of Switzerland handing down the price list. Again this has to do with the adjustment of the dollar I believe since some markets have not seen such a jump.
Roger's right. USA has taken a much bigger hit on the prices as compared with the rest of the world.

For example: just look at the ridiculous price hike on the SS Sub-date...up from $4525 to $5175....almost 14½% - $650 UP!!!

In Auckland, the price rise on this model has been only 8%.

Glad I bought mine when I did!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 04:21 PM   #38
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Roger's right. USA has taken a much bigger hit on the prices as compared with the rest of the world.

For example: just look at the ridiculous price hike on the SS Sub-date...up from $4525 to $5175....almost 14½% - $650 UP!!!

In Auckland, the price rise on this model has been only 8%.

Glad I bought mine when I did!!

Yes but even if they raised the price by 100% you would still buy it since you are such a sucker for cleavage
Old 3 October 2006, 04:29 PM   #39
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Yes but even if they raised the price by 100% you would still buy it since you are such a sucker for cleavage
If I want cleavage that bad, I can get it from some of those shops in the Mall which sell Seikos and Timex!!! You should check out some of those salesgirls. Va-va-voooooom!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 3 October 2006, 10:32 PM   #40
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
As much as I hate to see the price increase for esentially no reason at all, they are still going to sell watches.

As far as people reaching a point in their life and finally being able to afford a Rolex...Rolex doesn't care how hard you worked to buy your watch, they don't care that you searched forever to find the perfect one at the right price (whether it be a discount, or hard to get model) They simply don't care. They only thing they do care about is how many watches they can sell, and the fact that their name is held in high regard.

The general public has an issue with things being expensive. Unless you are a hobbyist, or have general knowledge about something, almost everyone assumes that if something is really expensive, it must be the best around.

For someone that doesn't know Rolex, they are probably used to buying the "really expensive" 600 dollar watch in the mall. If they stumble across an AD and see many, many thousand dollar price tags, their eyes roll and they think to themselves: "that's gotta be the most expensive watch in the world, it must be the best out there". At that point it doesn't matter if the 16610 is $4000, $5000, or $6000, cause compared to the $600 Citizen, they are all really expensive.

Much rambling, and for that I apologize. My point is this: Rolex will continue to raise prices, and continue to sell watches. Will they reach a point where they price themselves out of the market? Nope, the name Rolex is invaluable and will keep that from happening.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 10:38 PM   #41
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
Does anyone find it odd that the new GMT (all gold version) with the ceramic bezel, new movement, solid center, links, and new clasp is CEHAPER than an 18K Submariner without all those features????? Yet, with the TT versions of each, the GMT is more expensive by more than $1000...
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 11:08 PM   #42
madformac
"TRF" Member

It seems total lunacy if you ask me. I think they have been getting advice from the guys setting the gas and electricity prices..

It will force Omega, Panerai, Breitling and others up in price to at least some degree otherwise they risk the "its so much cheaper it can't be the same quality" mentality from consumers.

I think Rolex are expecting customers to just and take it when they walk into an AD..
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2006, 11:28 PM   #43
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
I think Rolex are expecting customers to just and take it when they walk into an AD..
And the sad thing is..... they will.......
Old 3 October 2006, 11:56 PM   #44
madformac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Well this tosser won't. At least not until I can justify in my own mind and not just by wallet alone, that its time for a new Rolex..

But that new TT GMT II does look good though...
Old 4 October 2006, 12:38 AM   #45
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Not all of them! Rolex may have lost a fan or two with this one
Old 4 October 2006, 12:39 AM   #46
Hank G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post

It will force Omega, Panerai, Breitling and others up in price to at least some degree otherwise they risk the "its so much cheaper it can't be the same quality" mentality from consumers..

I totally agree with ya! and something tells me that Omega and Panerai price increases arent to far befind.
Hank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 12:42 AM   #47
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank G View Post
I totally agree with ya! and something tells me that Omega and Panerai price increases arent to far befind.
I've been hearing that Panerai has one coming up in the near future
Old 4 October 2006, 12:44 AM   #48
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Think Its Time For Buyers To Say No.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 12:59 AM   #49
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Think Its Time For Buyers To Say No.
I couldn't agree more, Peter

Unfortunately, very few Rolex customers have the mindset of most of the good people on our forum. Most folks outside of the WIS community are buying Rolex as a fashion statement only. It's they're way of showing off to a degree. The first question a lot of those people ask the AD is "is the first battery change free" To this type of Rolex wearer the higher prices only benefit their reasons for wearing one
Old 4 October 2006, 01:26 AM   #50
madformac
"TRF" Member

I think its a bit worrying myself... All these rises... A man has got to live and buy watches too! Now I'll have to go hungry if I want a new Sub...

I need to go on a diet anyway!
Old 4 October 2006, 01:39 AM   #51
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J. View Post
I couldn't agree more, Peter

Unfortunately, very few Rolex customers have the mindset of most of the good people on our forum. Most folks outside of the WIS community are buying Rolex as a fashion statement only. It's they're way of showing off to a degree. The first question a lot of those people ask the AD is "is the first battery change free" To this type of Rolex wearer the higher prices only benefit their reasons for wearing one
Now that Craig I completely agree with you,but a Rolex don't maketh the man in many cases.But if enough of the WIS world did complain jointly to Rolex, it might rattle there cage slightly.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 4 October 2006, 02:05 AM   #52
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Problem is that even if we all got together it wouldnt be enough to put a dent in any of the big manufacturers pockets to make then do anything. I often wonder how much of the watch buying public us WIS's make up. My guess is about 1% :(
Old 4 October 2006, 02:09 AM   #53
morgman
"TRF" Member

I think this increase will help Omega sell a lot of black Bond SMP's. Although I expect Omega to move everything to Coaxial, which will be even more of a price hit than Rolex just did.
morgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 02:13 AM   #54
madformac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgman View Post
I think this increase will help Omega sell a lot of black Bond SMP's. Although I expect Omega to move everything to Coaxial, which will be even more of a price hit than Rolex just did.
Yeah I totally agree. In fact I think it will help Omega take a larger slice of the market if they use this opportunity wisely.
Old 4 October 2006, 02:33 AM   #55
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I think you're right, Seth. Rolex is going to keep going strong, no matter what their price point is.

And I guarantee that within 6 months, we will have gotten over the sticker shock and start paying these god awful prices again. Why, because a few hundred $$ is not going to make that much of a difference at this altitude. I wish I was wrong, but don't count on it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 02:36 AM   #56
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Problem is that even if we all got together it wouldnt be enough to put a dent in any of the big manufacturers pockets to make then do anything. I often wonder how much of the watch buying public us WIS's make up. My guess is about 1% :(
I think you're right, Roger We do make up a very smal percent
Old 4 October 2006, 02:48 AM   #57
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
I agree with you, Roger. The WIS world doesn't even amount to a small blip on their radar screens. The biggest market for Rolexes is US and Asia. They sell hundreds of thousands of watches a year. How many of the buyers are members of fora like ours (or any of the others)? Maybe a couple thousand. Do the math. That's less than 1%.

We could scream our bloody lungs out and Rolex wouldn't hear us.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2006, 03:11 AM   #58
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Ya even with big mouths like me and JJ we'd be lost like a fart in the wind.
Old 4 October 2006, 03:17 AM   #59
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Hey, tosser...speak for yourself. ROLEX loves me!!

Old 4 October 2006, 03:26 AM   #60
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
But even from very small wis acorns,the mighty oak tree grows Roger.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club