The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 February 2013, 02:31 AM   #1
kxux
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
Newbie with questions prior to purchase - 5711/1A / 5167A

Hello Patek aficionados,

I have gradually migrated from Rolex discussion to this one after seeing great pictures of 5711 and 5167 by Puffy, dddreess, kilyung, brady, TimeOnHand and many others on this forum.

I'm thinking it is time for me to acquire my first Patek . I have small collection of Rolexes - DeepSea and GMT IIc. I'm considering trading in the DS for something smaller and more understated. The three pieces that made the short list - PP 5711/1A, PP 5167A and AP 15400.

As a lot of people here I have job where the watch can be scratched by the desk or my computer - nothing extreme. On the weekend we do a lot of family activities like skiing, ice skating, bike riding, swimming and such. I'm looking for watch that could do it all with me without needing to baby it.

I have asked my wife for her opinion on the styles and she likes the 5167 best with 15400 closely second. I'm leaning towards 5711 for its timeless design. It is going to be my watch so the ultimate decision is with me. This post is not one of the 'this or that' question, but rather I want to ask few questions about the pieces and hope for some guidance from owners.

1. How 'flashy' is the PP 5711/1A on bracelet? Does it attract attention? I travel a lot and sometimes to places where having understated non-flashy watch is better way to go.

2. Are there good alternative leather or rubber straps for 5711 - PP or after market? Can you share photos if you use them?

3. If you own both 5711 and 5167 which one wears better for you? I had 5712 on my wrist the other day and it felt great for the 20 minutes I had it. But how does it feel over 24 hours? How does it feel on hot day? My Rolexes have good adjustability that I sometimes use in hot weather (DS bracelet is the best).

4. I saw that some of you own the AP 15400 - how does it compare to 5711? How does it wear / does it have big wrist presence?

I appreciate all the input. This forum is invaluable source of information. Thank you all.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Puffy
"TRF" Member

hi welcome to the pp section

i've done a small 5711 vs 5167 comparison, see here..

as for 5711 straps, you can get straps for it but it means you need the end pieces and a clasp as well. i think i was quoted £3500-4000 from patek...
Old 26 February 2013, 03:18 AM   #3
simbal
"TRF" Member

Personally I feel 5167/1a is the most comfortable watch I ever had. Sometimes I forget I am wearing a watch which is unusual for me. It is also one of the most understated watch I have owned. No one has yet to ask me about it since I have owned it. So if comfort and real understated quality is what you are looking for, it is hard to beat the 5167.
simbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 03:29 AM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The rubber 5167 is most comfortable but 5711 is most beautiful. What's more important to you?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 03:32 AM   #5
vpr80
"TRF" Member

And the AP 15300/15400 is 95% as nice for 50% of the price so go see that one yourself. Depending on your wrist size, the 15300 will be a bit smaller, but way bigger than both the 5167 and 5711. The 15400 will be pretty big and might be a bit a much, but go see for yourself.
vpr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 03:41 AM   #6
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80 View Post
And the AP 15300/15400 is 95% as nice for 50% of the price so go see that one yourself. Depending on your wrist size, the 15300 will be a bit smaller, but way bigger than both the 5167 and 5711. The 15400 will be pretty big and might be a bit a much, but go see for yourself.
Thanks. I asked the AD (they happen to be both PP and AP dealer) to call me when they have these pieces in store for me to try. They only had 5712 - which is really nice piece, but I'm afraid it is not exactly understated one ;-).
Old 26 February 2013, 03:43 AM   #7
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The rubber 5167 is most comfortable but 5711 is most beautiful. What's more important to you?
Mike, thanks. I guess I need to find them both at the same AD, try them on and one will be singing more than the other. I like the 5711 in the pictures, but I never had one on my wrist (5712 is the closest reference I had on my wrist and it was very nice).
Old 26 February 2013, 03:45 AM   #8
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
hi welcome to the pp section

i've done a small 5711 vs 5167 comparison, see here..

as for 5711 straps, you can get straps for it but it means you need the end pieces and a clasp as well. i think i was quoted £3500-4000 from patek...
Thanks Anders, I read through the post and found it very informative. You should get PP to pay you for enabling ;-).

Ouch that price for 5711 strap is quite steep. I guess that comes with the PP territory.
Old 26 February 2013, 03:47 AM   #9
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbal View Post
Personally I feel 5167/1a is the most comfortable watch I ever had. Sometimes I forget I am wearing a watch which is unusual for me. It is also one of the most understated watch I have owned. No one has yet to ask me about it since I have owned it. So if comfort and real understated quality is what you are looking for, it is hard to beat the 5167.
Joe,

thanks. I have been hearing this from every 5167 owner how light weight the watch is and how well it fits. I had it on my wrist about 6 months ago while in Caribbean, but at that time I was not ready to pull the trigger. I really need to get one on my wrist soon.
Old 26 February 2013, 04:12 AM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
There are many factors you may want to factor in before making your choice. Some may chose to factor in the brand, the actual watch, history, the functions, the way it looks (many various details , the way it wears, and ones life style). For me it was kind of fun to include all of these as it gives me something to think about everytime I put my watch on. A little research can yield a wealth of information.

Whether it is the AP 15300 or AP15400 they wear a bit differently than the Pateks you mentioned. The APs you mentioned have a thicker case and the bracelet is much different than anything else I have ever worn. I would highly recomend if at all possible trying on all three in person before making your decision.

Unfortunately none of the watches you mentioned are easily adjustable like the current system Rolex uses, however if you get them sized correctly you shouldn't have much of an issue when it gets warmer out. You always should leave a bit of give with the bracelet.

The AP is the least waterproof at 50mm, so if you chose to you could go under water with either of these watches.

Good luck with your hunt. I look forward to seeing which watch you decided to get.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 04:21 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would say coming from the 44mm DSSD the 41mm AP 400 would be the best transition for you as Im sure you'll find the Naut very slight in comparison but maybe thats what youre after. It wears smaller than the GMTC but the GMTC wears about the same as the 400 or a little smaller. And as has been mentioned, the AP is half the price of the PP and both are HH so as the 5711 is still a basic three-hand steel watch youre paying an awful lot just for the Patek name.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 04:24 AM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
finding the 5167 comfortable and understated and with the rubber strap, a nice contrast to my favorite rolex.

and it makes me smile a lot

and a big / unexpected bonus about the 5167 is its supreme legibility in the dark... after all this is the core function of any watch... being able to read it !!!!

for years i was used to checking my sub in the dark and having the tritium tell me exactly what time it was (luminova is rarely up to the task in the dark), no one has satisfied that service for me, until the 5167... it is very welcome return of no light legibility
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1002037.jpg (94.7 KB, 1271 views)
Old 26 February 2013, 04:34 AM   #13
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would say coming from the 44mm DSSD the 41mm AP 400 would be the best transition for you as Im sure you'll find the Naut very slight in comparison but maybe thats what youre after. It wears smaller than the GMTC but the GMTC wears about the same as the 400. And as has been mentioned, the AP is half the price of the PP and both are HH so as the 5711is still a basic three-hand steel watch youre paying an awful lot just for the Patek name.
The first point is a good point. However I never had the DSSD but I had some larger watches and I ended up getting not only the 5711 but the 5167 as well. After wearing a number of different sizes I found out I actually liked watches which I barely noticed I was wearing that is until I needed or wanted to look at them. True almost any watch wears smaller in many aspects than a DSSD. But these Pateks wear smaller and lighter than quite a few out there.

The second point maybe the way you see things, however this can be said about almost any luxury item. Why pay so much for a Rolex when you could get a timex that cost $20 and it's more accurate. Function alone is generally not the motivating factor.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 February 2013, 06:35 AM   #14
Puffy
"TRF" Member

5167 next to other divers....

christ the DSSD is an ugly watch

Old 26 February 2013, 08:09 AM   #15
descartes
"TRF" Member

You really need to see the AP 15300/400 in person, and try it on. Pictures do not do it justice. The fit, finish and overall quality of the watch is amazing. I was never a big Royal Oak fan until I tried one on and then I had to have it. There is not a watch that is as comfortable with with that degree of presence, IMO.

Personally, I feel that the RO has a more robust feel than the 5711, though they are both very similar. The RO, while pricey, is indeed more bang for buck than the PP.

Since I bought the AP 15300 I've had trouble taking it off. It is so verstile. Dressy or casual. I find myself opting for it more than either PP 5110 or the Rolex sport watches I have.

The only issue I see with the RO 15300/400-- and this applies to the 5711 and 5167-- is that they are all scratch magnets. All three watches are so finely polished (with brushed and mirrored surfaces) that you will pick up scratches if you wear it, even for light duty. If you are thinking of wearing it as I true sport watch I could caution against that and keep a Rolex in the collection for that purpose.
descartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 08:39 AM   #16
bellvederecar
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:

I agree.
bellvederecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 09:36 AM   #17
h999r
Banned

Watch: -ing Barts.
Quote:

Deepsea got my vote :)
h999r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2013, 10:01 AM   #18
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
There are many factors you may want to factor in before making your choice. Some may chose to factor in the brand, the actual watch, history, the functions, the way it looks (many various details , the way it wears, and ones life style). For me it was kind of fun to include all of these as it gives me something to think about everytime I put my watch on. A little research can yield a wealth of information.
Yes, I have been going through this forum which is amazing in terms of photos and information. I also reviewed the obvious sources like Patek and AP website and other pages I could find. I'm pretty sure one of the listed references will end up on my wrist sooner or later. I just need to track them down at AD and try them on. I purchased all my previous watches (some of which I have traded) only after having them on my wrist. The only exception was 36mm Exp 1 which I liked until it was time to move on.

Quote:
Whether it is the AP 15300 or AP15400 they wear a bit differently than the Pateks you mentioned. The APs you mentioned have a thicker case and the bracelet is much different than anything else I have ever worn. I would highly recomend if at all possible trying on all three in person before making your decision.
Thanks for this. I was under impression that 15300 has been retired? Maybe just my misunderstanding.

Quote:
Unfortunately none of the watches you mentioned are easily adjustable like the current system Rolex uses, however if you get them sized correctly you shouldn't have much of an issue when it gets warmer out. You always should leave a bit of give with the bracelet.

The AP is the least waterproof at 50mm, so if you chose to you could go under water with either of these watches.

Good luck with your hunt. I look forward to seeing which watch you decided to get.
Adjustability is something that has me little worried. I guess I would wear it just like my GMT where I can stick my pinky under the clasp when I'm in colder environment. Water resistance had me little worried about the AP though I would probably only swim with it if I could not find safe place for it when I travel. I would just not feel safe leaving the watch in my hotel room or on the pool deck.
Old 26 February 2013, 10:36 AM   #19
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxux View Post
Yes, I have been going through this forum which is amazing in terms of photos and information. I also reviewed the obvious sources like Patek and AP website and other pages I could find. I'm pretty sure one of the listed references will end up on my wrist sooner or later. I just need to track them down at AD and try them on. I purchased all my previous watches (some of which I have traded) only after having them on my wrist. The only exception was 36mm Exp 1 which I liked until it was time to move on.

Thanks for this. I was under impression that 15300 has been retired? Maybe just my misunderstanding.

Adjustability is something that has me little worried. I guess I would wear it just like my GMT where I can stick my pinky under the clasp when I'm in colder environment. Water resistance had me little worried about the AP though I would probably only swim with it if I could not find safe place for it when I travel. I would just not feel safe leaving the watch in my hotel room or on the pool deck.
The 15300 was officially retired, however they were still going to continue to manufacture them for a period of time. Sounds odd, but it's true. Not sure when they were actually going to stop making them however. So it may be harder to get but it still may be possible to get BNIB.

Thomas in the AP forum would probably be able to provide better details on the AP15300.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 26 February 2013, 11:31 AM   #20
kxux

Quote:

I would not call it ugly. I quite like it, but it is somewhat impractical in some situation. When running you can feel its weight quite a bit, with tighter fitting shirts it is not good and I find it challenging with my winter coat that has tight fitting sleeves. With short sleeve it is good piece.

But obviously not good enough not to be replaced by AP or PP in my stable.
Old 26 February 2013, 11:36 AM   #21
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I would say coming from the 44mm DSSD the 41mm AP 400 would be the best transition for you as Im sure you'll find the Naut very slight in comparison but maybe thats what youre after. It wears smaller than the GMTC but the GMTC wears about the same as the 400 or a little smaller. And as has been mentioned, the AP is half the price of the PP and both are HH so as the 5711 is still a basic three-hand steel watch youre paying an awful lot just for the Patek name.
Good point about the size of DSSD. I will try to get my hands on both 15400 and 15300 if I can.

I'm more concerned about how I like the watch. The brand is less of a concern. Tough I liked the 5712 which felt really nice on the wrist. I was not 100 sure about the bracelet and dial seemed little out of balance to me.
Old 26 February 2013, 11:52 AM   #22
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by descartes View Post
You really need to see the AP 15300/400 in person, and try it on. Pictures do not do it justice. The fit, finish and overall quality of the watch is amazing. I was never a big Royal Oak fan until I tried one on and then I had to have it. There is not a watch that is as comfortable with with that degree of presence, IMO.

Personally, I feel that the RO has a more robust feel than the 5711, though they are both very similar. The RO, while pricey, is indeed more bang for buck than the PP.

Since I bought the AP 15300 I've had trouble taking it off. It is so verstile. Dressy or casual. I find myself opting for it more than either PP 5110 or the Rolex sport watches I have.

The only issue I see with the RO 15300/400-- and this applies to the 5711 and 5167-- is that they are all scratch magnets. All three watches are so finely polished (with brushed and mirrored surfaces) that you will pick up scratches if you wear it, even for light duty. If you are thinking of wearing it as I true sport watch I could caution against that and keep a Rolex in the collection for that purpose.
I will try to get my hands on all the pieces before making decision. I like that they wear smaller. I like the enthusiasm of the AP fans here. The brand has good following. I'm really undecided at this point and the passionate responses keep me considering both stables.

You say that these watches are scratch magnets - that worries me - coming from a guy that had his GMT PCL brushed after 6 months. I just could not look at the hairline scratches. I guess I may be better off with the rubber bracelet on the 5167 ;-).

I will keep the GMT as that is my b-day present from my wife. Though she told me if I need to sell it to fund another piece she is ok with it - very practical girl.
Old 26 February 2013, 01:18 PM   #23
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Regarding scratches, it's all about how you take care of them. I've worn my 15300 and 5711 in regular rotation over two years now. I think they still look great.

Old 26 February 2013, 02:05 PM   #24
Lamkyle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Those from my wife
have you consider AP diver then?
it's more durable, water resistance and subtle..
and it is a beautiful piece too
Lamkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 12:14 AM   #25
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
My vote goes to the Aquanaut!

For all reasons mentioned in posts above, it really is a tough watch to beat. It was on my wrist this past weekend at the Daytona 500 and now again as I wear a suit and tie to a meeting. For versatility and comfort I would suggest there is none better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1180230.jpg (83.9 KB, 1118 views)
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2013, 12:22 AM   #26
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Regarding scratches, it's all about how you take care of them. I've worn my 15300 and 5711 in regular rotation over two years now. I think they still look great.

Very nice Mike. Great pictures.

Out of curiosity - how often do you wear these pieces in say a month. I'm afraid with my 2 watch collection (if you can call it that) the watch i pick will see a lot of wrist time. Actually I'm thinking about having it as daily watch (I dislike the term beater some use here as I try not to beat my watch unless I have to ;-)..
Old 27 February 2013, 12:24 AM   #27
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamkyle View Post
have you consider AP diver then?
it's more durable, water resistance and subtle..
and it is a beautiful piece too
Yes I did consider it (before I acquired DSSD), but now I'm looking for something smaller and lighted as daily nice watch that stays under radar.

Diver is really nice. Even my better half liked it when I tried it on in St. Thomas last year.
Old 27 February 2013, 12:26 AM   #28
kxux

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
For all reasons mentioned in posts above, it really is a tough watch to beat. It was on my wrist this past weekend at the Daytona 500 and now again as I wear a suit and tie to a meeting. For versatility and comfort I would suggest there is none better!
Brian, great shot of the beautiful Aquanaut. Love it. Now I need to get my hands on one. I agree that given my requirements this may be the best way to go.

Unless I want to spend extras 5k on leather or rubber band with Patek buckle as Anderson advised.
Old 27 February 2013, 12:41 AM   #29
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxux View Post
Very nice Mike. Great pictures.

Out of curiosity - how often do you wear these pieces in say a month. I'm afraid with my 2 watch collection (if you can call it that) the watch i pick will see a lot of wrist time. Actually I'm thinking about having it as daily watch (I dislike the term beater some use here as I try not to beat my watch unless I have to ;-)..
Unlike much of my collection, these two get regular weekly use at least once a week.
Old 27 February 2013, 03:35 AM   #30
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

You're picking between some great pieces. Here's my 5167 that I wear on a weekly bases as part of the rotation. Has held up pretty well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361900104.135103.jpg

Enjoy the hunt!
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote