The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 22 August 2021, 11:13 AM   #1
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

Omega stainless steel worldtimer - a review

So first off I’ll start by saying that I’m mainly a Rolex wearer and have never bought omega before. When I came across a picture of the stainless steel worldtimer, however I knew I had to go try it on at the store.

The worldtimer is part of the aqua terra collection, which means that it comes with 150m water resistance and is amagnetic up to 1.5 Tesla. Being that it is a worldtimer, it allows you to read 24 time zones at a glance using a 24 hour inner disc and it also distinguished which locales use daylight savings and which don’t by color coding the city names. It also has the date at the 6 o clock position and comes with an exhibition caseback. In the center is a slightly raised globe map of the northern hemisphere created with a laser and with a textured appearance. The Seamaster name is also on the globe.

The watch is large at 43mm case with at least 14mm thickness but coils be thicker I can’t recall.

The watch retails at 9100 with bracelet and 8900 with rubber strap.

I did not include a picture of the watch as there are pictures on the internet of much better quality that I could achieve.

I bought this piece for several reasons:
1. IMO it is the most beautiful worldtimer dial at any price range.
2. With the water and magnet resistance plus date function you get tremendous value for the money.
3. Worldtimers are not offered by most brands and it’s a unique watch in my collection.

So let me start with the pros:
The dial is simply gorgeous and makes the watch look more expensive than it is. The watch is a real attention getter and not meant to be an under the radar piece. Even though some might say it’s a little busy, I found it incredibly easy to see the time. I enjoy heavier watches and the worldtimer offers a great wrist presence in this regard. The bezel is very plain and unassuming allowing the dial to steal the show. The great thing about this piece is that not only are the aesthetics near perfect but the date function is very practical too. Not all worldtimers have the date.

One caveat is that at 43m, 14mm thickness or more, and with that dial this watch is not really as versatile as other pieces. My sleeve has a hard time going over the watch. Many people say the watch is too big for their wrist. I have a 6.5 in wrist and the watch does dominate it but I’m mainly wearing this piece as a casual sport watch and I think the larger size actually works bette for that. However I probably wouldn’t wear it to a formal event because it would dominate my wrist.

The main con with this watch is the bracelet. There are no micro adjustments only half links. Also I find the butterfly clasp very annoying compared to the Rolex bracelets. The rubber strap is very high quality and I got both the bracelet and the strap. The strap actually works better with the watch than the bracelet in terms of aesthetics and I would recommend wearing this watch with the strap. I will say though that the bracelet is very comfortable. The other small issue I have is that the omega label is painted on the dial in white and not applied or reflective like the hour markers.

Overall this is a unique and fantastic piece. Don’t let the large size prevent you from buying this piece. I’m not sure if Omega will discontinue this piece but the stainless steel version only came out in 2019 and it’s not a limited edition. So I’m sure it will be around for a few more years. I’m shocked it hasn’t gotten as much attention as it deserves. Anyway hope that helps for anyone looking at this piece.
Fencer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Pix???

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2021, 11:23 PM   #3
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 August 2021, 01:15 AM   #4
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

Better photo in the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 August 2021, 04:13 PM   #5
watchrocker
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Ohh, looks so good
watchrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2021, 01:04 PM   #6
Fencer28
"TRF" Member

UPDATE ON WORLDTIMER REVIEW:

So I have owned the watch for a solid month now. Some things I have noticed…

The watch is extremely readable. The key is having an arrowhead on the minute hand it’s amazing and I can very quickly read the time under any light condition.

The bracelet is extremely comfortable but is just okay in terms of aesthetics. The rubber strap is the way to go. I got a rubber strap thrown in with my purchase.

The lume is actually really stylish its triangular rather than linear or circular.

Reading the time for the other time zones is not that easy due to the small font size, but I really bought the watch for the aesthetics and I doubt I will need to know the time in Azores anytime soon.

At 43mm the watch is a little big on my wrist but I wear it as a sport watch and it looks fine.

Overall I’m extremely pleased with the purchase I think it’s a great watch!