The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Gallery

Old 1 July 2021, 07:27 PM   #1
KevWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 and 126621
Watches you’ve tried on over the years

Surely I can’t be the only watch nerd on here who has taken pictures of watches I’ve tried on, or held, over time.

Thought it would be a fun idea to share some of the memorable pieces that have stood out, good or bad, in the format of pictures.

What were your experiences with each?

Here’s mine:

DJ36 - one of my favorite references I’ve owned. Ultimately parted ways with it to trade into a DJ2 41mm blue dial, seen further down below. Big mistake.

GS Snowflake blue dial from a Hodinkee event in NYC. My first time trying on a GS. Mesmerizing dial.

Modern Pepsi on jubilee from that same Hodinkee event. This was at the center of attention that night, as it was a new release at the time. Still think the color/hue of the bezel does not hold a candle to a 16710 Pepsi.

Timex X Todd Snyder purchased for around $100. Classy, cheap, good size. Why not?

My milestone purchase: an immaculate 16710 with a full black insert. Fun for about a day. Decided to swap dials to something more colorful. Felt too much like a sub.

Swapped out the black for a coke. Slightly less understated. About a week later I treated myself to…

…The classic and beloved Pepsi. Felt so right and I’ll likely never convert back to the previous inserts.

My friend’s 16570. A no fuss tool watch that shares so many of the same characteristics as the 16710. Totally disappointed with the fact that the bezel numbers fade over time. Deal breaker for me, though I still love the white dial variant.

Oh boy. This is an all original 1019 Milgauss family heirloom passed down 3 generations to a friend of a friend. He had absolutely no idea what it was and what it’s worth, and couldn’t care less. His daily beater and I totally respect it.

My long gone 116300. Rolex’s first attempt at a 41mm DJ which was quickly discontinued and updated. Way too big for my liking. No regrets selling this one.

My old and sold 39mm Explorer 1 MK1. The one with the solid white gold 3,6,9 Arabic hour markers. Perfect size. Regret selling this one. The ideal under the radar daily.

This one needs no introduction. The quintessential grail watch owned and daily worn by a coworker. First time I felt nervous and genuinely starstruck wearing a watch. The 5711 is everything.

If I had to wear one watch for the rest of my life with a max budget of around $2k, the 3510.50 speedy is it. Owned by my friend who didn’t want to break the bank, but wanted something special. The bracelet reminds me of the president.

I was on the hunt for a CHNR and found out this existed. A truly under appreciated watch and my first foray into PM. Rose gold is a winner.

The classic tank. What a cool watch for the money.

My first time trying on a 4 digit. Man this thing was flimsy but elegantly delicate.

WG DD 40 blue dial. A statement piece that can be worn daily. What more can you ask for?

16234 DJ is such a timeless piece. Goes well with everything.

First time trying on a 34mm. The 1002 is pure elegance. Looks fitting in pictures but in person I found it a bit too small.

AP 15450 looks best with the white dial. 37mm is perfect for those who cannot justify spending the extra million dollars or so for a 2 mm difference for the coveted 15202 39mm. I’m just trying to make myself feel better. I actually need a 15202, but this fills the void in a big way. Not mine.

The premium that the 116500 commands in the used market makes me sick. But I totally get it. It’s annoyingly perfect.

When I slapped a jubilee on my 16710, I finally realized what all the fuss is about. It’s loud but covers all the bases. It’s the watch lover’s watch. Nothing else I’ve owned has led to more genuine conversations with other watch nerds. That’s what it’s all about.

Buying a Grand Seiko is like buying a Lexus. You know you’re buying a quality product at a financially responsible price, but you can’t shake the thought that if you had just spent a few more bucks, you could get way more attention from people you don’t care about. I’ll overcome that insecurity eventually… I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KevWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2021, 04:57 PM   #2
The7
"TRF" Member

That 16710 with jubilee is so perfect. This will be my next watch for sure.
The7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 08:18 AM   #3
mjwalter80
"TRF" Member

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some pics like this in my phone. That AP and 5711 are amazing! Also the dial on the first GS is stunning. One of those will end up in my collection at some point.
mjwalter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 11:47 PM   #4
Oyster Perp
"TRF" Member

Had this for a while.

Had this for a while, took a dislike to it and exchanged it (as I tend to do often) Immediately regretted it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold rolex 2.jpg (91.1 KB, 175 views)
Oyster Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 03:56 AM   #5
SeaByMe
"TRF" Member

None :(
SeaByMe is offline   Reply With Quote