The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 November 2021, 10:49 AM   #91
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I love watches. We all do hence we are here. But honestly, my interest is waning and it has everything to do with the current environment. I am exhausted from trying to play the interest game with the hope that I get blessed with a watch. I have plenty that I currently enjoy, all of which I have gotten at MSRP because of my AD. However, now even my great AD can't get me watches anymore. And the new watch buyer is no longer the clientele that I want to be associated with. It has taken the fun out of the hobby so I am having some real thoughts about consolidating my entire collection to a single watch and focus on other things in my life.
Old 15 November 2021, 11:20 AM   #92
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Personally, if you look past AP, PP and Rolex, its never been a better time to be into watches
Anything that isnt Instagram worthy sells for a decent discount new and tanks in value Pre Owned
Plenty of bargains out there if you're not concerned with Resale or Flexing

I'm friendly with a few dealers, anything that isnt Rolex doesnt move and has to be priced very competitively in order to generate any interest from customers otherwise it just sits in their cases for ages until being sold at cost/a loss
It sucks for anyone looking to trade out of their 12 month old Tag, but its great if youre looking to buy right now

Likewise models being recognized by non watch people.
I was in a meeting and one of the guys there got a few comments on the 36mm $6k Vintage DateJust he was wearing and eye brows were raised how someone relatively young "could afford a Rolex"
Meanwhile, no one noticed the $15k Panerai I was wearing (not flexing, just making a point)
The weight the 5 Pointed Crown carries is heavy and i doubt the juice is worth the squeeze anymore, which is fine by me, plenty of great options out there
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 11:28 AM   #93
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Personally, if you look past AP, PP and Rolex, its never been a better time to be into watches.
Preach! So many great timepieces coming to market from majors, minors, and your fave independents. Tudor has surely stepped up too

248898166_2282933438509691_1047766778410371085_n.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 11:52 AM   #94
effovex
"TRF" Member

My take is that folks who are “quick” to jump onto a bandwagon are typically quick to jump off it too (likely to something else). The average person is impatient and while people are going grey, there comes a point where grey prices will no longer be worth it even to the big spenders since other luxury items can be purchased (cars, boats, etc) that will be better to flex.

This mania will certainly not go on forever. There will absolutely be a cool down once the hypers are on to the next craze.

Just like in fashion, media, music - what’s popular now will not be popular forever. At the very most, it will drop and then plateau.
effovex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 12:14 PM   #95
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

I enjoy collecting far less than 5-10 years ago. Not so much worried about the criminal aspect but far too many people are looking for watches to flip. AND my AD of 15 years lost the brand last year.
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 12:18 PM   #96
butchcoolidge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by effovex View Post
My take is that folks who are “quick” to jump onto a bandwagon are typically quick to jump off it too (likely to something else). The average person is impatient and while people are going grey, there comes a point where grey prices will no longer be worth it even to the big spenders since other luxury items can be purchased (cars, boats, etc) that will be better to flex.
The issue is that prices of cars, boats, etc. are all going up too. We are in the roaring 20s and there is just too much money in the system. It will need a big market collapse to flush everything out.
butchcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 12:59 PM   #97
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Would you rather have interest decline in watches year after year?

Before the social media / digital economy bailout, that's where it was heading...
Perfectly stated!

While I try to understand where the OP is coming from, to be complaining or lamenting about times past with this collection just doesn't really line up for me to get where the 'sadness' is coming from.

♛ 116619 - ♛ 116689 - ♛ 116500LN Blk - ♛ - 116500LN Wht ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 16520 - ♛ 16610 - ♛ 5513 Birth Year - Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL

This is to be sad about? What am i missing OP? Your collection is six figures..are you sad the value is through the roof?
Old 15 November 2021, 01:04 PM   #98
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Social media has made the world worse across the board as far as I’m concerned lol

This, this right here!! At one time I blamed the internet in general but its not that it is "social media"

Simply the largest dumpster fire in human history.
Old 15 November 2021, 01:46 PM   #99
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_seth View Post
This, this right here!! At one time I blamed the internet in general but its not that it is "social media"

Simply the largest dumpster fire in human history.
While I think there is some definite good with social media, I tend to agree that it has seemingly brought many of the worst quality traits out in humans.
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 01:49 PM   #100
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Would you rather have interest decline in watches year after year?

Before the social media / digital economy bailout, that's where it was heading...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 04:30 AM   #101
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondope View Post
While I think there is some definite good with social media, I tend to agree that it has seemingly brought many of the worst quality traits out in humans.
100% agree
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 07:23 AM   #102
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
During my physics tutorials one of the older professors would regale us young students with his predictions of the impact that the 'new' developing computer technologies would have on society during our lifetimes. He talked about miniaturisation, mobile phones the size of a cigarette packet, cashless payment systems, computer-assisted design systems, medical advances, neural networks and - most alarmingly - he warned of something he called 'social manipulation', facilitated by instant mass communication that would allow the widespread transmission of toxic material. He warned that this would transform and undermine society as we knew it. And he was right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGMT View Post
Other contributors have echoed this. I think it's worth remembering that social media can be a huge force for good. Indeed, this very forum, which we all enjoy and value, is effectively a social media platform that can only exist through computer technology. We all need to embrace the opportunities that social media affords us, but maintain our standards of decency and be ready to deflect those who will abuse the technology to exploit us.

Stan.
I'm quite jealous over the quality of education you received, at least from this one professor. I received two computer engineering degrees from a well regarded university in the states - 30 years after you - and never had a single professor mention any of the topics that your professor did. It's a bit mind-blowing really... The only person I've heard speak philosophically on the subject is Jaron Lanier, but of course this is 50+ years after your professor's revelations.

But I would push back fairly hard on the characterization of TRF, or any forum, as social media. Social media is a very specific beast. A highly profitable beast funded entirely by advertisers and constantly tweaked by algorithms to maximize this profit stream. To achieve this, the worst of human impulses are exploited at every turn. It's not an accident, it's an engineered result. It's the digital equivalent of McDonalds adding opioids to the french fries. Will we get hooked? Yes. Is it in our best interest? No.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 08:49 AM   #103
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Well in the timespan you mention Rolex went from a tool watch, to an expensive watch, to a status icon. As the prices go up, it’s tantamount to wearing a vest made of 1000 dollar bills.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 09:15 AM   #104
ryangambrill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor GMT
Has the hobby changed over the past 10-20-30 years? Yes.

Will it change over the next 10-20-30 years? Yes. Just not sure how the future will look.

——————-

First join TRF in 2008. Was away for many many years. Wow. The past month of forum activity and searching has been eye opening. Not for the better.

—————

Not going to stop pursuing my hobby. Also not going to buy into all the hype flex and other nonsense.

Current:
- 16622 & 18078
- Tudor GMT - 79830
Past:
- Sub Serti Silver 16613
- Sub SS w/Date
- Sub SS & Sub TT w/ Serti
ryangambrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 09:25 AM   #105
PaulChronometer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Horage Array
Great threat ­­­­­– I fully agree with the OP.

The Rolex brand is being undermined by the very restrictive distribution/pricing schemes + all the flexing going on by people on TV, YouTube and social media who have no interest in watches except for showing that they have a lot of money to spend. A rather sad and stupid way to loose reputation like that, for a brand with a legacy like Rolex.

I sold my Rolex Explorer and got a Tudor Prince Date+Day in steel. For watch lovers, there are many interesting brands around. I also have a Horage Array, by a young Swiss company making their own movements. An outstanding watch, and I am happy to have something unique while supporting the creativity and enthusiasm of newcomers.
PaulChronometer is offline   Reply With Quote