The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 November 2021, 07:40 AM   #1
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Is my Rolex Oyster Perpetual 41mm Silver Dial authentic?

Dear All,

I'm super new to this forum and to Rolex in general.
For this reason I have a ton of questions and maybe you can help
I really hope I can start here a really professional discussion about my newly acquired watch.

I bought my first Rolex a couple of weeks ago from Chrono24 directly from Chrono24 itself.

It is my first watch ever!!

As the title says, it is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 41mm Silver Dial.
I just loved the model and funny enough is the one who bought me into buying a Rolex.

The watch looked good, papers and everything, was certified by them, they did a test of water resistance and they gave me papers with the results.

Even though I am absolutely new to the watch world I consider myself a very thorough person. So I asked them multiple questions, contacted the dealers, went into threads and forums to check and then I bought the watch.

The watch came with everything they said and there i started a further research. Brought the watch to a watchmaker (not a Rolex expert) and he said that all was good. Brought also the watch to an official Rolex retailer to adjust the bracelet and they didnt notice anything wrong about it.

The things i further checked are.

FROM THE CASE AND AESTHETIC THINGS IN GENERAL
1. The etched crown at 6 o clock and is there, impossible to find at naked eye, but is there. Haven t seen it with a macrolense so i cant tell you whether or not the dots are on different depths but i suspect so from what i ve seen (i recognized was not engraved, so not superficial).
2. The R of the engraved Rolex word inside the dial matches with the hours on the left end and with the X of Rolex in the right.
3. The serial number is Y3***V2 and matches the guarantee card I have . I have to say this serial number scared me at first since I have asked some official dealers and some of them responded it was a 2002/2003 serial number. Then they double checked and they noticed the second V in the number and said that it must be random since there is a letter instead of a number in the sequence. Maybe you can confirm this aswell.
4. The new warranty card that contains the serial number has also a working chip. I saw the chip through a powerfull light and then tried to read it with my new cellphone and leads me to the Rolex official website. I took it as a good sign.
5. The bracelet and colours match the descriptions of the model. The dial has a golden champagne feel to it when under the light, the luminova resists a long time and is blue, in the dial everything seems to be perfect and aligned.

FROM THE MOVEMENT SIDE... AS MUTCH AS MY NOVICE EYES CAN TELL
6. I tested the power reserve and the watch did 68 hours of run with a single full wind (20 turns).
7. The crown is smooth and the interaction with the movement seems to be buttery smooth. Only thing here is that my crown often doesnt pop out in position instead needs a simple twist clockwise and then put itself in position by popping out. I was concearned at first but it seems a common Rolex trend. Maybe you can also confirm here.
8. The second hand doesnt thick but has a smooth movement aswell as the hour mark. The seconds instead seem to reflect the Perpetual movement.
9. When I move the watch fast i can hear the rotor moving. I saw that is a feature of the new 3230 and 3235 movement to be more noisy as it is more heavy so I took it as a good thing.

WHAT I M AFRAID OF
10. My Rolex is not precise as it should be, sometimes by little, sometimes by what I consider a lot. Did a couple of tests with atomic clock, it is constantly fast of a couple of seconds a day. In this past days I tested it often. It happens that if i m lucky with always the dial up my Rolex is 1 second late, but more than one time was 3, 4 or even 5 seconds fast. To give a point of contact here and why i m concearned. I put my rolex with the dial facing down for just 7 hours today and when i took it again it was 3 seconds fast, in just 7 hours!!
11. The golden colour of the hands seem dark in the sun. I ain t no gold expert but it seemed suspiciously darker. I have to mention, only when under the sun.
12. I discovered by pointing a light on it from above that my luminova has some shades in it. Meaning it seems that it is uneaven in some areas and you can see it only by pointing a light sideways.
13. The watch dealer was Chrono24 and they tested it but my Rolex was not opened to check the movement due to warranty and this makes me really anxious. Chrono was actually not the one selling it but another site called Zeitauktion who was selling through them.
14. The watch weirdly doesnt match the dimensions, it says 41 mm but after checking is 39.5mm. I have checked it by calculating from 4 to 10 o clock.
15. When is really silent at home and i listen to the watch i can hear ticking (this is probably the movement working so apologize for my newby question).

Can you tell me what you think about it?

I have attached some pictures to give you a visual of the watch.
What scares me are super clone and frankenstein watches. The case seems legit in everything but is it possible for a plus 2 minus 2 sec a day watch to be 3 seconds late in just 7 hours?
Should I let someone open the case and check the movement inside?

I saw some super clones and i was really scared as some of them match the exterior 1>1 exactly like mine and this really scares me.

You can take any point on the list and respond when sure about it. This might help not only me but a lot of other newbies.

Thank you sooo much for you help and sorry for being too long
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pictures.zip (1.00 MB, 243 views)
Eppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Moony17
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you got an authentic watch. Authenticating it yourself will be difficult though. I suggest you bring it to a Rolex Service Center and have them check it. You can state that you suspect it’s running too fast. If the watch is still under warranty, I believe they’ll do this for free. They will test water resistance, and how to watch is running. They will also open the back (warranty won’t be voided because it’s Rolex that’s doing it). From my experience, the process took 3 days. In any case, the watch is assumed authentic if they take it in for this procedure.
Moony17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 10:35 AM   #3
Eppi
"TRF" Member

I know I can't authenticate it by myself but I guess there are some guidelines to be at least 90% sure that is real.

At this point I'm also asking myself nowadays if there are sure ways to distinguish between fake and real rolexes.
Old 27 November 2021, 10:53 AM   #4
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I’m not an authenticator but it looks fine to me. The date filled out is a little weird but that’s human. When you received the watch, did you wind it about 40 turns? If not you might be running low on reserve which could affect the performance. Anyway nice watch.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 10:58 AM   #5
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Hey Laszlo thank you for your suggestion.
To be honest no I didn't wind it 40 times when I got it. I just winded it 20 times. I also didn't wear it at all, all this tests I did where with the watch staying static for the entirety of the day.

As said sometimes just misses 1 second other times is 3 seconds fast in just 7 hours. Is the only thing that really "keeps me up at night" about it.

Should I wind it 40 times now?
Old 27 November 2021, 12:05 PM   #6
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppi View Post
To be honest no I didn't wind it 40 times when I got it. I just winded it 20 times. I also didn't wear it at all, all this tests I did where with the watch staying static for the entirety of the day.

As said sometimes just misses 1 second other times is 3 seconds fast in just 7 hours. Is the only thing that really "keeps me up at night" about it.

Yes, you can wind it now and don’t worry you can’t over wind it. Wear it and while it’s charged keep tabs on the time. A few seconds a day is normal. Also, it’s not a perfect instrument. Anyway enjoy the watch. Don’t stress. Haha, it’ll be okay!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 02:04 PM   #7
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
I’ve had a Rolex brand new from AD run 7 seconds fast per day. I wouldn’t worry about a couple of seconds a day…

I think you are over thinking the whole thing. Also if you want us to authenticate it the only way we can do that is with pictures.
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 03:41 PM   #8
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
from the pictures the watch looks pretty authentic to me. dont worry, enjoy your watch.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 05:30 PM   #9
Eppi
"TRF" Member

So you are both telling me that looks authentic and that the time keeping is normal.

But what bout the +2 -2 superlative chronometer thing. Shouldn't the movement be going exactly by those standards?
Old 27 November 2021, 05:34 PM   #10
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So you are both telling me that looks authentic and that the time keeping is normal.

But what bout the +2 -2 superlative chronometer thing. Shouldn't the movement be going exactly by those standards?
If that's the case then bring it to Rolex to discuss and at the same time, you'll have it authenticated if they are willing to look at it under warranty.
Old 27 November 2021, 05:51 PM   #11
Soultime
"TRF" Member

The size isn't an issue either.
The 41 Datejust is 39.xx mm. I think it's the same for the OP.

And sometimes a new movement takes a while to settle down to a regular rhythm. After a few months, if its still consistently +/- a few seconds a day, you can then get it regulated.

Enjoy your Rolex!
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 05:52 PM   #12
afmars
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:

Ok I see the pictures now. Definitely authentic. The +2 -2 is tested as a bare movement — Once the movement is installed in a case, shipped overseas, etc it’s possible that changes. Track the time over 2 weeks and average it out. If it’s under 6 seconds per day I would leave it be. If it’s more or if it bothers you just take it into an AD or RSC as another poster mentioned
afmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 06:00 PM   #13
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Its a mechanical watch. So all things make a difference. Movement, heat, lubrication, wear etc.
And these all vary over time. Until eventually in many years it may need a service to bring it back to new.

It's what gives them personality......
compared to just looking at the time on your phone.
And once it settles into a regular pattern you will learn to love it, as the thought that all those tiny cogs and wheels can be so accurate when there are 86,400 seconds a day.

Wind it 40 times and then just wear it all day every day.
Old 27 November 2021, 06:24 PM   #14
Eppi
"TRF" Member

I wonder if it would be good to open the watch to check the movement and get over with it.
I asked the ADs in my area but noone is willing to authenticate the watch.

Are there any guidelines that a Rolex should "check" for it to be 99% authentic?

Also side question... should I wind it only once 40 times or should I do it every 24h?
Old 27 November 2021, 06:59 PM   #15
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wonder if it would be good to open the watch to check the movement and get over with it.

Are there any guidelines that a Rolex should "check" for it to be 99% authentic?

Also side question... should I wind it only once 40 times or should I do it every 24h?
Wind it once (you can't overwind it) about 40 turns, then just wear it every day. The arm movement will keep it charged.

If you bought it off a reputable dealer on Chrono24, it's almost certainly genuine. They would lose their reputation if they sold fakes and go out of business.

Every check you have done suggests it's genuine.

Put it now, smile to yourself, and be happy. You own your first Rolex!
Old 27 November 2021, 07:30 PM   #16
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:

from the pictures i'm almost 99% sure its authentic as i've already said. regarding the movement inside, every watch enthusiast who at least own one or two rolexes should be able to tell if the movement is real or not by winding it and setting the date/time. you can feel the smoothness and resistance when winding the watch and turning the minute, hour hands to see if the gearing ratio is right.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 09:07 PM   #17
Eppi
"TRF" Member

Regarding setting the time.

I also experience a little "play" when setting up the minutes hand.
If I twist clockwise and suddendly counterclockwise there is a little play before it start twisting.
Is that also normal?
Old 27 November 2021, 09:33 PM   #18
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Regarding setting the time.

I also experience a little "play" when setting up the minutes hand.
If I twist clockwise and suddendly counterclockwise there is a little play before it start twisting.
Is that also normal?
Normal also......there is always some play in the movement.

On my BLNR you have to tinker quite a bit to set the minute hand exactly. It has some play and a 'rubbery' feel to try and set it exactly (which I do twice a month).
Old 27 November 2021, 09:54 PM   #19
RobJohnFL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
Take it to RSC Cologne for regulation, as you’re still in the warranty period.
They will only perform warranty/service work on a watch that is 100% factory spec.
Only then, you will have peace of mind that it’s 100% authentic.
RobJohnFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 09:58 PM   #20
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Never download a zip file from somebody you don’t know.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 09:59 PM   #21
RobJohnFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
This!
Old 27 November 2021, 10:06 PM   #22
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Great watch. You are way overthinking it and are being paranoid at a level that you need to set aside. You bought the watch from a legitimate source and they answered all of your questions and provided all of the documentation needed. Put your watch on, wear it, enjoy it and go on with it. If you can not, then take the watch to the RSC and have them authenticate it. Pay the fee and don't play the check the movement game or anything else. Once authenticated, just enjoy your watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 10:19 PM   #23
RobJohnFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations. Great watch. You are way overthinking it and are being paranoid at a level that you need to set aside. You bought the watch from a legitimate source and they answered all of your questions and provided all of the documentation needed. Put your watch on, wear it, enjoy it and go on with it. If you can not, then take the watch to the RSC and have them authenticate it. Pay the fee and don't play the check the movement game or anything else. Once authenticated, just enjoy your watch.
He doesn’t need to pay anything. The watch is in warranty period.
All he needs to do is to state that he is not content with accuracy and have it regulated under warranty.
Old 28 November 2021, 01:20 AM   #24
BDII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126710 BLRO
I personally would get it authenticated just for peace of mind. There’s a story on the forum of a guy buying a watch from an AD that had the original movement stolen and replaced.
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 02:19 AM   #25
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post

I am surprised the forum allowed a zip file to be embedded
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 02:53 AM   #26
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
To be honest no I didn't wind it 40 times when I got it. I just winded it 20 times. I also didn't wear it at all, all this tests I did where with the watch staying static for the entirety of the day. As said sometimes just misses 1 second other times is 3 seconds fast in just 7 hours. Is the only thing that really "keeps me up at night" about it. Should I wind it 40 times now?
Yes, as others have stated here, wind the watch 40 times, preferably first thing in the morning, set the time to the time of an online time site, and begin wearing it 12-15 hours per day, *every* day, for at least two weeks. Starting on the 2nd morning, compare the time of your watch to the online time site you used and note the results. Continue wearing the watch every day for 12-15 hrs, and continue checking the time on your watch each subsequent morning (against your timekeeping web site), and note the actual time, accumulated time, and the deviation. If you're wearing the watch all day, and are reasonably active, you shouldn't need to keep winding it. After a full week on the wrist, note the number of 'secs per day' that the watch is either ahead or behind. Wear it for another week, 12-15 hrs/day, and continue noting the timekeeping results. If the watch is significantly more than +4 (or -4) secs/day, then maybe consider taking it to the Rolex Service Center for inspection, authentication, and regulation. You should give a new watch several weeks of full-time wear to allow it to 'settle in' before making any decisions. Hope this helps.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 08:12 AM   #27
Eppi
"TRF" Member

First of all, thank you all for the replies, it is much appreciated, really!

Second, today I have wind it 40 times and wore it the whole day as many have suggested, I have then put it back dial up in his rolex box. Hours past 19 is already 2 seconds fast.

I know I might be overthinking it but if that was a mistake, it was a pretty costly one that it wouldn't sit very well with ne that's why I'm so "obsessed". I want a lifetime friend but I don't want a fake friend.

Do you know if there are many op of this year cloned?
Do they clone also this "entry watches"?
And finally do you know if you came across of a 3230 clone movement already or do you think that will take time.

Thank you all again
Old 28 November 2021, 12:51 PM   #28
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Your watch is 99.999% accurate, 2 seconds fast from the 86400 seconds in a day.
That is an incredible achievement for any mechanical time piece.
Your watch doesn’t require any adjustment.
There are many very high end mechanical watches that don’t even come close to this kind of accuracy.

A watch regulated on the bench will not show the same results on the wrist.
Your wearing habits will influence this.

Only a quartz or a Grand Seiko spring drive will perform better.

Relax about it and enjoy wearing it
Old 28 November 2021, 01:43 PM   #29
dannyp
Banned

Doesn't seem to have been discussed much, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt there are many fakes that could maintain that level PR, especially with that level of accuracy. With a few exceptions out of Swatch Group companies (Tissot, Hamilton), the standard for "cheap" movements is still under 48, to my knowledge.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 02:03 PM   #30
77T

Quote:
First of all, thank you all for the replies, it is much appreciated, really!

Second, today I have wind it 40 times and wore it the whole day as many have suggested, I have then put it back dial up in his rolex box. Hours past 19 is already 2 seconds fast.

I know I might be overthinking it but if that was a mistake, it was a pretty costly one that it wouldn't sit very well with ne that's why I'm so "obsessed". I want a lifetime friend but I don't want a fake friend.

Do you know if there are many op of this year cloned?
Do they clone also this "entry watches"?
And finally do you know if you came across of a 3230 clone movement already or do you think that will take time.

Thank you all again

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding your two questions, TRF has a rule about discussing replicas. Glad your purchase appears to be genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote