The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 November 2021, 05:58 AM   #31
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Did you buy the rolex’s at retail?
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 06:27 AM   #32
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Did you buy the rolex’s at retail?

No i didn’t. Paid 30k EUR for Daytona and 22.5k EUR for oyster Pepsi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 November 2021, 06:30 AM   #33
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Honestly, I don't see the point in having a 5711 and 5712 (no offense to those that do); especially if it means upending your collection in order to do so.

Some feedback here is true. The two watches fit well and bought them at greys. I’d be able to get a black one as I’m on the list for one. So it’s not like I’ll never be able to get one again.

Old 9 November 2021, 07:01 AM   #34
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Honestly, I don't see the point in having a 5711 and 5712 (no offense to those that do); especially if it means upending your collection in order to do so.

That right thought. I’d rather not have to use those two nice modern Rolex to finance the 5711. Maybe it’s just not my time and should just wait until I get offered a 5712 after buying another 100k+ of Rolex and Patek at my AD, until I build up more purchase history.

Old 9 November 2021, 07:08 AM   #35
joa
"TRF" Member

isn't it a lot like with relationships?

as soon as one starts even thinking about switching IT'S OVER :))
Old 9 November 2021, 07:21 AM   #36
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Would you do this trade for a 5711?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
50K plus two highly in demand Rolex for a 12 year old watch? No way.

Yeah. That’s the thing. I’m only thinking about giving them away because I don’t have 100k cash for the watch right now. Maybe I should just keep slowly building history with watches I like at my AD until I get the 5712 offered in 1-2 years. And forget about the 5711.

Old 9 November 2021, 07:28 AM   #37
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I prefer the 5711 to both of your rolex.

Not sure I would be happy about a 5711 that is 12 years old?

For the price I would think you could get a newer example… but in the end of condition is perfect then I guess it doesn’t matter.

Agree 5711 over 5712 if for no other reason, the better water resistance…ie the 5711 can do what your Daytona and gmt does.

Btw: make sure you are dealing with a reputable seller!
A friend has a counterfeit 5711 and it is insanely close to perfect.

Uff that’s scary!! I’ve been in Hong Kong and have seen some very crazy counterfeits.

The 5712 is an amazing watch too. But love the dial of the 5711.

Old 9 November 2021, 07:30 AM   #38
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
5711 blue is one of my all time favorite watches but you’re giving up too much, IMO.

I’m feeling it too. After reading your comments here, I’m leaning towards thinking it’d be much better to just give out cash than getting those two pieces out of my collection.

Old 9 November 2021, 07:49 AM   #39
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

don't do that one, you are getting caught up in the hype I think.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 08:58 AM   #40
Tzmore
Banned

They all both look good on you though, But I don't think I would involve in such trade because I can't afford to loose both watches for one.
Tzmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 09:49 AM   #41
WWC
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t do it. But you’ll be kicking yourself the day when the 5711 hits 150k, if it does that is.
Cosmograph DAYTONA 116520 | DEEPSEA 126660 | Explorer 214270 | GMT Master II BLRO 16710 | GMT Master II VTNR 126720 | Submariner LV 16610 | Sky-Dweller 326139 | Prince Oysterdate 90630
WWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 10:27 AM   #42
Crown & Shield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyjo View Post
Here is the math
Your Daytona trades around 34k
GMT Oyster Pepsi around 22k
50k cash = 106k
The 2009 5711 trades around there.
Fair trade money-wise.

However I still wouldn't do it.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Absolutely agree with this.
I would keep the Daytona and the GMT and buy a 5524G instead...
Crown & Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 10:58 AM   #43
bugimas
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36, SEIKO Turtle
If you are thinking this is your 'exit watch' and calling it a day, I think its fine to proceed with the trade, put it on your wrist, and never look back. If its not for the recent hype, the 5711 will be stealthy on the street on commoners.

Good luck OP!
bugimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 05:22 PM   #44
Neom
Banned

For me, Patek shines on complications and grand complications, not on "sports" watches. Therefore, I wouldn't do the trade except if I am going for a perpetual calendar, a chronograph or the likes of it
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 06:15 PM   #45
miccro
Banned

Watch: 5513,1675,1680
if its your dream watch and you are not just riding the hype wave then yea. I see the 5711 holding and increasing in value, but I buy watches to wear and enjoy, personally id put the Monet into a higher complication Patek.
miccro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 10:51 PM   #46
mjm700
"TRF" Member

I think you need to dissect the trade from the purchase. If you are seriously looking to trade those two pieces then i suggest there must be a reason. Not wearing them, not seen as long term, interest has waned, etc. To me that is a separate consideration from whether the 5711 is worth it to you, and whether that particular piece is appropriately priced.

I’m wearing mine right now on a short business trip for the first time in a long while. Plenty of folks on the forum that wear theirs daily or near daily but plenty more that rotate it and wear it less these days given attention / hype (several posts on this). I love mine but I’m in the second group and turn more often now to other watches in my collection that I feel more comfortable wearing daily. Everyone has a different view/approach and comfort. You might want to check your own. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:01 PM   #47
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I personally would not. I’d rather keep the Daytona and GMT. Maybe part with something else in your collection? Or just keep everything and take that extra 50 towards a 5205. Adding a nautilus as your one and only Patek is not a move I would make personally.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2021, 11:32 PM   #48
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I prefer the 5711 to both of your rolex.

Not sure I would be happy about a 5711 that is 12 years old?
What's wrong with one from 2009? Geneve seal? and possibly a slightly different dial than the current versions or not (colour and the lines in between and placement of the PP logo)?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 12:00 AM   #49
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I think you will regret the decision after the initial excitement wears off. 5711 is nice, but so are the 116500 and the GMT. To add 50k of cash on top is literally begging the grey dealer to rip you off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
50K plus two highly in demand Rolex for a 12 year old watch? No way.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agree with this. I mean… If it’s your ultimate Grail and you’re 100% positive that you would keep forever… then yes I would make the trade if I were you….(depending on condition and service history that is)
Me personally… No I would not. I do like certain PP watches and I’ve had 5712 twice, and gave it a good run. I did love the dial, but, for my own personal lifestyle/taste, it’s just too dainty feeling for me…..YMMV. The hype wore off quickly in my case
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 02:28 AM   #50
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Absolutely not, at least for me. But if that is what will make you happy, then yes! Life is short, do what makes you happy and forget what everyone else thinks. Myself included!
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 03:24 AM   #51
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

It's a tough choice TBH because steel white dial Daytona and the GMT Pepsi are both REALLY amazing watches! Regardless of the hype around those two Rolexes, I love them both very much.

Now the 5711, while is a simple watch, is so desirable, and I know people who owned one and absolutely loved it. Given that you bought your Daytona and Pepsi from grey, you won't have any issues getting them in the future.

I do think that 50k additional cash is kinda of high... 40k seems more reasonable imho.
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 08:45 AM   #52
Xerxes77
Banned

No
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 09:15 AM   #53
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
What's wrong with one from 2009? Geneve seal? and possibly a slightly different dial than the current versions or not (colour and the lines in between and placement of the PP logo)?
Imho the Geneva Seal PPs are a plus.

When was it last serviced?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2021, 08:29 PM   #54
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Unless it's vintage Rolex, Omega or super rare complex watches, newer seems to be better. Perhaps it's because there is less likelihood that the watch is scratched, has been polished or needs a service. And few who are into Pateks seem to care about the subtle differences in the dial color, movement or font that would drive sports Rolex buyers wild.
Look at the thin price premium that a 3700 has over a 5711. And why does the 5968a sell for more that a 5980/1a? To be fair, based on recent auction prices, Rolex buyers seem willing to spend as much on a Hulk as they do on a Red Sub 1680.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2021, 01:35 AM   #55
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Hmmm , I can only tell you , that although I have several sought after PP ‘s , My 5711 white seems to get 3 times the wrist time of any of the others . To me it is subtle elegance ,extremely thin , under the radar , very comfortable and truly a masterpiece. It would be the last one I would ever sell. I would do the swap but 50 difference is too much IMO. Like the others me would offer 40 . Great timepiece - well hold value well I think .
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 07:40 PM   #56
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Very mixed opinions here. The thing though is that the 5711 will continue to go up and up. Patek wasn’t specific about not ever bringing it back in a renewed reference. Very likely it comes back in a new reference on the Nautilus 50th anniversary.

For now, I decided to go for a nice discontinued annual calendar at my AD, and continue to build a relationship with them. It’s gonna be my first complicated watch, and first dress watch from Patek which already makes me extremely excited to get on the wrist!
Old 13 November 2021, 01:04 AM   #57
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexperfect View Post
I’m feeling it too. After reading your comments here, I’m leaning towards thinking it’d be much better to just give out cash than getting those two pieces out of my collection.

Since you have already tried on the 5712, how do you like it compared to the Rolex’s? They are very different watches for very different feel, the Rolex’s are very good tool/daily watches but the PP is more refined and comfortable.

If it is financially feasible, maybe you can pare down to a one Rolex plus cash trade so you can have best of both worlds.

And please don’t take this question the wrong way. It seems like you may not have a relationship with a PP AD, how can you be on the 5712 list? My AD who’s been able to get most of what I want still cannot confirm something like 5712. If you are indeed on a confirmed waitlist, you may as well be patient and wait it out. This will also prove that you do love the Nautilius and not just the hype.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 01:48 PM   #58
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Never
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 08:03 PM   #59
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
The 5712A IMO blows away the 11A and I have owned both. The 11A is overhyped and gets boring over time. Also, You currently have the 4 most sought after SS Rolex and dont need to add anything there… White Daytona, GMT Pepsi, Hulk, and Blue Sky on Jubilee. I would keep those and enjoy the variety of your collection and build up your purchase history assuming you can actually trust your AD and then get a Naut or Aqua of your choice brand new with your name on the papers.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 08:33 PM   #60
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Since you have already tried on the 5712, how do you like it compared to the Rolex’s? They are very different watches for very different feel, the Rolex’s are very good tool/daily watches but the PP is more refined and comfortable.

If it is financially feasible, maybe you can pare down to a one Rolex plus cash trade so you can have best of both worlds.

And please don’t take this question the wrong way. It seems like you may not have a relationship with a PP AD, how can you be on the 5712 list? My AD who’s been able to get most of what I want still cannot confirm something like 5712. If you are indeed on a confirmed waitlist, you may as well be patient and wait it out. This will also prove that you do love the Nautilius and not just the hype.

I’ve done purchases with them and already got a very hot piece with them. I initially wasn’t accepted in the list for the 5712 but recently I was added after starting to improve the relationship.