The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 November 2021, 07:18 PM   #1
Jetflu
"TRF" Member

Icon20 5235/50R-001 - Difficult to obtain?

Hey everyone!

Wanted some advice on getting this PP Complication watch at one of the Patek Philippe salons. I have no prior relationship with the salons/any ADs. Would be great to hear all of your opinions on this watch and the ease of getting one.

Also, would purchasing this timepiece get me on the list for an Aquanaut?

Thanks in advance for all the advice!
Jetflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
This timepiece is gorgeous but very underrated. It is selling at a discount in secondary market. You should be able to get one without problem at the boutique but it won’t be easy to get Aquanaut with only that purchase. You can be on the waiting list for a very long time.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2021, 11:15 PM   #3
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
What a coincidence, I was at my local boutique last night looking at this exact reference! From my experience, it was not hard to get my hands on it and be in a position to purchase. I e-mailed my sales assistant on Tuesday saying I was interested in this reference, and she was able to get one for me to see within a couple of days (it is a large store, with multiple locations in a major metropolitan area).

The 5235 is a fantastic piece, and if you are drawn to the regulator dial/complication, as I am, it’s the only one in Patek’s current lineup. (There’s a nice section on regulators in the Wristwatch Handbook, if you have not seen it.)

Aquanaut list: In talking with my local representatives, it seems that I need about 80-90K in spend in order to get on the aquanaut waiting list, which if I were to get on it right now, would likely mean an aquanaut in hand (no guarantee on which model) in the first quarter of 2023. Also, my sense is it’s not just the spend that will get one on the list, it’s the relationship, too (which I appreciate, because for me the hobby is as much about relationships as it is about the pieces). I am not actively seeking an Aquanaut. If they offer me one, I’ll buy it and wear it to the beach, hiking, etc, in place of my Rolex Explorer.

Great piece, good luck!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 03:20 PM   #4
Jetflu
"TRF" Member

I agree. It is unlike anything Patek makes! A striking piece for sure. Thank you for your advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
This timepiece is gorgeous but very underrated. It is selling at a discount in secondary market. You should be able to get one without problem at the boutique but it won’t be easy to get Aquanaut with only that purchase. You can be on the waiting list for a very long time.
Old 13 November 2021, 03:25 PM   #5
Jetflu
"TRF" Member

Thats good to know! I just mind end up purchasing it :)

I have always wanted the Aquanaut for a long time now, and where Im from, there is no AD here. So I was thinking that my best bet would be with the PP Salon in either London or Paris than a local AD there.

I was thinking there's not better way to go about this than to start establishing a relationship directly with PP. I plan on visiting one of these cities next month, so I hope they have it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time out to educate me :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
What a coincidence, I was at my local boutique last night looking at this exact reference! From my experience, it was not hard to get my hands on it and be in a position to purchase. I e-mailed my sales assistant on Tuesday saying I was interested in this reference, and she was able to get one for me to see within a couple of days (it is a large store, with multiple locations in a major metropolitan area).

The 5235 is a fantastic piece, and if you are drawn to the regulator dial/complication, as I am, it’s the only one in Patek’s current lineup. (There’s a nice section on regulators in the Wristwatch Handbook, if you have not seen it.)

Aquanaut list: In talking with my local representatives, it seems that I need about 80-90K in spend in order to get on the aquanaut waiting list, which if I were to get on it right now, would likely mean an aquanaut in hand (no guarantee on which model) in the first quarter of 2023. Also, my sense is it’s not just the spend that will get one on the list, it’s the relationship, too (which I appreciate, because for me the hobby is as much about relationships as it is about the pieces). I am not actively seeking an Aquanaut. If they offer me one, I’ll buy it and wear it to the beach, hiking, etc, in place of my Rolex Explorer.

Great piece, good luck!
Old 13 November 2021, 06:43 PM   #6
clkol
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 372
Stunning piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetflu View Post
Hey everyone!

Wanted some advice on getting this PP Complication watch at one of the Patek Philippe salons. I have no prior relationship with the salons/any ADs. Would be great to hear all of your opinions on this watch and the ease of getting one.

Buy the watch - it is truly astonishing.
I enjoy my WG version every single day.
Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8936-2.jpg (209.4 KB, 725 views)
clkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 07:22 PM   #7
Jetflu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkol View Post
Buy the watch - it is truly astonishing.
I enjoy my WG version every single day.
Cheers
Looks amazing! If I'm being honest, I would pick this over the rose gold version if it was still continued. Unfortunately, most of the ADs seem to have been sold out of this model for this year.

Will try my luck at the salons too. Would you know if salons are given preference in terms of stocks over ADs?
Old 13 November 2021, 11:02 PM   #8
KWSub
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
I love this timepiece! One of my favorite watches from anyone, period. It’s such a interesting piece. It’s Patek’s only regulator dial, it features the micro-rotor 31-260 caliber that’s only available on this watch and the new 5236p, it has a unique 3.2Hz beat rate, and a beautiful two-tone, vertically grained dial that really changes color depending on the lighting. All of this in a 40.5mm by 10mm case, which is about perfect for me. And after a few minutes, it’s actually really easy to tell the time on it.

Fwiw, I heard from my AD that they aren’t produced in high quantities. I was told that it’s an “application” piece for the AD. Not for the customer, but that the AD has to specifically request this piece. As opposed to most other complications and calatravas that are delivered regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KWSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 01:22 AM   #9
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks amazing! If I'm being honest, I would pick this over the rose gold version if it was still continued. Unfortunately, most of the ADs seem to have been sold out of this model for this year.

Will try my luck at the salons too. Would you know if salons are given preference in terms of stocks over ADs?
I can be wrong but a few people have posted that the salon in Geneva now only sells the hot models to locals and not tourists anymore to keep away flippers. But of course it is best to visit them and inquire.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 03:33 PM   #10
felfyre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey everyone!

I have no purchase history with Patek, but luckily I got a 5164a. Have to purchase 5235r and a few cufflinks.
felfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 06:58 PM   #11
Jetflu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felfyre View Post
I have no purchase history with Patek, but luckily I got a 5164a. Have to purchase 5235r and a few cufflinks.
That’s amazing! Would you mind letting me know how? Did you go directly to a salon? Or an AD?
Old 15 November 2021, 07:23 PM   #12
felfyre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s amazing! Would you mind letting me know how? Did you go directly to a salon? Or an AD?
It was with boutique. My country only has 1. I know right? I am still flabergasted at how it happened. Maybe visitting the boutique frequently, and letting them know numerous times that you only want that specific model. And in my case the 5164a was on shipment, they let me know asap (I was still on the area when they phoned me). The only thing left for me was to decide which watch to pair, and they currently have a 5235r on shipment too!

I wish you goodluck on your pursuit!

But I doubt the other posters saying that the 5235r is quite rare, As in the past 3 months I saw 2 pieces on their inventory including mine.
felfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 10:29 PM   #13
Jetflu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWSub View Post
I love this timepiece! One of my favorite watches from anyone, period. It’s such a interesting piece. It’s Patek’s only regulator dial, it features the micro-rotor 31-260 caliber that’s only available on this watch and the new 5236p, it has a unique 3.2Hz beat rate, and a beautiful two-tone, vertically grained dial that really changes color depending on the lighting. All of this in a 40.5mm by 10mm case, which is about perfect for me. And after a few minutes, it’s actually really easy to tell the time on it.

Fwiw, I heard from my AD that they aren’t produced in high quantities. I was told that it’s an “application” piece for the AD. Not for the customer, but that the AD has to specifically request this piece. As opposed to most other complications and calatravas that are delivered regularly.

Beautiful! Looks great on your wrist!
Old 16 November 2021, 02:02 AM   #14
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
I have seen it once in the AD display case at beginning of the year. But I was able to get it fairly easy in July. My AD did tell me these are hard/becoming hard to get. Not sure if true but I really like this watch regardless.

Has grown on me a lot since wearing it more. Very unique and I have gotten a lot of comments on it in the wild, more so than my Rolex or nauti/aquanauts

archer1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2021, 11:52 AM   #15
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I can be wrong but a few people have posted that the salon in Geneva now only sells the hot models to locals and not tourists anymore to keep away flippers. But of course it is best to visit them and inquire.
I confirm that almost all boutiques in Geneva sell the hot pieces to VIPs, locals or best customers.
They get a loooot of flipper visits from the neighboring France, tourists and locals. ADs/Boutiques are very used to spot them.

Remember that Geneva has a lot of "local" high profiles because of the UN organisations (UN, WHO, WTO, etc), NG organisations, wealth destination and a "special" link with the petro-dollars countries.
Also a lot of high profile collectors are visiting CH and/or the manufactures.

So, contrary to popular belief, it is not easy to get a watch in Geneva and a lot of units already go to Blue blood/VIP xxl level we cannot compete with.

However, most of the boutiques offer almost all the current models to try.

Good luck.
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2021, 01:10 AM   #16
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I very much prefer the WG version but others love the rose so it's personal preference.

I love the cool icy dial of the WG and the regulator makes it quite unique.
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2021, 04:04 AM   #17
hlkenlh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212A
Visited Switzerland in Sept, I found 2-3 AD that has this piece available

hlkenlh is offline   Reply With Quote