The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 November 2021, 11:16 PM   #1
April26
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36
Been offered but don’t love it

Hi everyone

Been offered a Rolex sports model this morning that I’m not in love with, I did have my name down for it but now I’ve gotten the call I feel like it’s to similar to other pieces I have in my collection, It’s taken me a couple years to build up this relationship with my Ad and I am hoping it won’t mess up my relationship if I refuse it (99% sure) but there are a couple pieces of jewellery I am going to buy for Christmas. ($2000), anyone been offered anything else after they have refused?
April26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:20 PM   #2
BrunoBMI
"TRF" Member

Which sports model we are talking please?
BrunoBMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:23 PM   #3
MikeMWatchFan
"TRF" Member

I’ll give you $1000 if you let them sell it to me instead… and I don’t even know which one it is yet…. Air King?
MikeMWatchFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:23 PM   #4
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
submariner?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:25 PM   #5
impartialcafe
"TRF" Member

Rejected an OP41 Black Dial which I never inquired about the other day, having bought a Sub last year. Probably better for the relationship in the long run to only purchase pieces with a lesser chance of eventually (or shortly) flipping.
impartialcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:25 PM   #6
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by April26 View Post
Hi everyone

Been offered a Rolex sports model this morning that I’m not in love with, I did have my name down for it but now I’ve gotten the call I feel like it’s to similar to other pieces I have in my collection, It’s taken me a couple years to build up this relationship with my Ad and I am hoping it won’t mess up my relationship if I refuse it (99% sure) but there are a couple pieces of jewellery I am going to buy for Christmas. ($2000), anyone been offered anything else after they have refused?
OP - this cryptic cliffhanger thread requires you at least tell us which watch you seemingly have been offered.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:37 PM   #7
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Turned down several. Hasn’t affected standing at all. They appreciate honesty and will note you’re unlikely a flipper. That said, buying does increase your spend history. But they do allocate fairly - so if you’ve recently purchased a sports model (unless you’re a whale / VVIP) they may not offer you another one for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:39 PM   #8
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I turned down a white gold Daytona on OF last year. Ended up being offered and accepted a black dial Daytona 2 months later.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 11:43 PM   #9
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
Find out in nine days
Old 27 November 2021, 11:56 PM   #10
April26
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
OP - this cryptic cliffhanger thread requires you at least tell us which watch you seemingly have been offered.
It’s a sea dweller bi metal.

I have a good purchase history any way and I was going to
Go there and buy some earrings for Christmas anyway so I’ll still be adding to my purchase history just don’t want to mess up my AD relationship.
Old 28 November 2021, 12:40 AM   #11
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Is your contact a SA or a manager or someone else? Generally should be fine, will sell right away to someone else. The only slight downside is that the SA sometimes has to pitch to the managers or owner for the desirable models so in that sense the SA (if your contact) did that. But that depends on the AD. And regardless it’s not such a desirable model, and more importantly I wouldn’t buy anything I didn’t really like.

When you turn down you may want to revise your list to what you really want, upon reflection.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 12:47 AM   #12
Rexplorer214270
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO;PP5230G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats View Post
Is your contact a SA or a manager or someone else? Generally should be fine, will sell right away to someone else. The only slight downside is that the SA sometimes has to pitch to the managers or owner for the desirable models so in that sense the SA (if your contact) did that. But that depends on the AD. And regardless it’s not such a desirable model, and more importantly I wouldn’t buy anything I didn’t really like.

When you turn down you may want to revise your list to what you really want, upon reflection.
Agreed. OP, I would say this could hurt you somewhat in future particularly if they have to pitch you for a desirable or allocation model. That being said if it doesn’t work for you, makes sense to pass
Rexplorer214270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 01:38 AM   #13
Stewart_88
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Go there and buy some earrings for Christmas anyway so I’ll still be adding to my purchase history just don’t want to mess up my AD relationship.
I'm in London for the day and literally just walked out of the AD after trying on the TT sea-dweller. Lovely watch but id rather the tt black sub due to the thickness.
Old 28 November 2021, 01:42 AM   #14
sj24k
"TRF" Member

Yeah. I’d turn down a TT sea dweller too. In a heartbeat. Zero interest in that watch.

Have turned down plenty of watches and have never once considered how it will impact my so-called “standing.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sj24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 01:49 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If it doesn’t float your boat, pass. If you buy a watch with hesitation going in, it’s unlikely you’ll warm up to it
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 01:53 AM   #16
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It will sell in an hour. I get your predicament but if I was AD, I’d see that as honesty which is important to most ADs. I’d know if I sold you a watch it is for you not to be profited on.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 02:22 AM   #17
VDMTom
"TRF" Member

I turned down a few sports (deepsea) last year, still got a Batman/Explorer Polar this year and Rootbeer last year,

Pretty sure they appreciate honesty.
VDMTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 03:38 AM   #18
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
If they are a reputable company, they should be able to respect your decision and appreciate that you are declining it to allow it to go to someone who really wants it as opposed to buying it and selling it for a profit.

If they cannot respect that decision, they don't deserve your business.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 03:56 AM   #19
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi everyone

If you asked for this and now say no, they won't bother wasting time calling you again for something else. These are very busy salesmen and would rather make one call and move on
TunaTuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 04:44 AM   #20
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Refused a TT Daytona. If you don't love it, what's the point? I will note that unlike other people who are FOMOing on future opportunities... after turning away the TT Daytona I did in fact receive a call after (for a 41 Sub) so it isn't a death blow.
Old 28 November 2021, 05:06 AM   #21
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
I wouldn’t buy it since you don’t want it. Having said that if you put your name down for a watch (watches) and they call you it doesn’t look good. If they offer you one you didn’t ask for that’s a different story. Just apologize and say you really have your heart set on such and such… it should be fine but I wouldn’t turn down another I ask for
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 05:51 AM   #22
rkny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMWatchFan View Post
I’ll give you $1000 if you let them sell it to me instead… and I don’t even know which one it is yet…. Air King?
Gross.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 06:06 AM   #23
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

You said you had your name down for it. They come through. Then you decline. I think your next request might not be seen seriously. Just my 2d.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 06:23 AM   #24
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMWatchFan View Post
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 07:08 AM   #25
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Watches View Post
I wouldn’t buy it since you don’t want it. Having said that if you put your name down for a watch (watches) and they call you it doesn’t look good. If they offer you one you didn’t ask for that’s a different story. Just apologize and say you really have your heart set on such and such… it should be fine but I wouldn’t turn down another I ask for
+1

OP, you probably should have taken you name off the the "list" or "expression of interest" or whatever they call it these days. Unless they knew that you wanted to see it in person first for fit/feel, you should be prepared to buy.

Depending on the AD, SAs will either queue up or make a pitch for their clients, if the SA did so and you turned it down, then likely the manager will chose the next SA. Your SA could have pitched another client of his. Your SA may not make the same effort to get you next watch because he won't know whether you're a real buyer or just kicking the tires.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 07:14 AM   #26
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Meh. All this teasing for a mere tt SD43.

If you’re going to make a teaser type thread pls make sure the piece is worth the tease
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 07:23 AM   #27
TomCarter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemwatchfan View Post
i’ll give you $1000 if you let them sell it to me instead… and i don’t even know which one it is yet…. Air king?
lmao
TomCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 07:26 AM   #28
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you don't want it, don't buy it. Leave it for somebody who does want that particular model.

No Dealer really cares that you passed on an offer, they are just looking for a buyer. They have plenty of others on the list and it will be gone before the day is out.
Old 28 November 2021, 07:50 AM   #29
April26
"TRF" Member

The Ad said on last visit to put lots of models on wish list and there was no limit, he said to give more of a chance of getting something, that was the one I wanted the least but maybe serves me right for being so greedy, going there next eeek so I’ll just explain to them that it’s the skydweller I have my heart sat on and that’s the watch they said I would get for Christmas! I’ve been a good customer to them and referred people on to them so if they want
To get funny about it so be it, I’m sick
Of these games
Old 28 November 2021, 08:19 AM   #30
AnakChan
"TRF" Member

This must be TT SD43 production month for Rolex ‘cos 6 days back, my AD in Australia received and offered me the same and I turned it down. A TT rose gold GMT would have been a different matter but a yellow gold TT isn’t my cup of tea.

I’m sure it’ll still sell quick or sold by now though.
AnakChan is offline   Reply With Quote