The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 September 2020, 06:59 AM   #151
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’m gonna travel with the receipt when I wear my leather jacket
Excellent idea.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 24 September 2020, 07:06 AM   #152
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Well I’m going to weigh in and I’ll probably get flamed

This seems like an unnecessary tax grab and yes I get that it’s law.

I’m FAR from conservative and agree with paying my fair share of tax, but this hardly seems fair to me. Fair being the operative word.
Old 24 September 2020, 07:17 AM   #153
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
sage advice. Are you allowed to not answer?
Be respectful and courteous with your answers but be short and to the point. I'd try to be vague and forgetful.
Old 24 September 2020, 07:34 AM   #154
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

This seems like an unnecessary tax grab and yes I get that it’s law.
Laws, especially tax laws, are written by those who would benefit from them most.
Old 24 September 2020, 07:51 AM   #155
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
I always carry a copy of the receipts of my watches with me in an app on my phone.
Old 24 September 2020, 09:59 AM   #156
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post

Tell that to the judge

I am not sure why you are so upset but it‘s getting ridiculous now....
And your Stasi and Gestapo remarks are totally out of line!
And your line about our officers and unmentionables was as well.
Old 24 September 2020, 12:06 PM   #157
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Not a traveler but this sounds like an absolute border shakedown to me. OP had the watch over 3 years prior. I think I’ll stay home
OP did confess it’s a gift, something once said can never be unsaid.

But otherwise I agree it’s a shakedown, plain and simple.
Old 24 September 2020, 07:27 PM   #158
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Like it or not, you don't mess with Zoll.
Among the shipping circles, they have a plain tax collector reputation.
Back in my sailing days, they would come on board and search each and every crew cabins for cigarettes. The allowed quantity is 200 sticks. 201 and you're eligible for a fine.
They'd give individual tickets from 5 euros and above for just about anything they considered misdeclared.
Now, I can only wish they're as effective in detecting the real threats...Oh well...
Old 24 September 2020, 07:52 PM   #159
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Sad to hear. Youe fiance should have said that she bought it herself. Or that she only borrowed from you. Your admission that you gave it to her was used against you.

Curious if you would still have been taxed if you were married.
Old 24 September 2020, 09:02 PM   #160
Cru Jones

Thank you very much for sharing this story. I had never given it any thought, and now I will.
Old 25 September 2020, 12:04 AM   #161
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
I always carry a copy of the receipts of my watches with me in an app on my phone.
To be honest, you can fake these and put them on your phone and no one would notice.
Old 25 September 2020, 12:32 AM   #162
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
To be honest, you can fake these and put them on your phone and no one would notice.
How would that be honest?
Old 25 September 2020, 02:36 AM   #163
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
Quote:
True, let them prove they are fake. I show them a receipt.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:55 AM   #164
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
True, let them prove they are fake. I show them a receipt.
All it needs is one phone call. Every AD or grey seller will cooperate with customs.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:57 AM   #165
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
All it needs is one phone call. Every AD or grey seller will cooperate with customs.
I think that could get you in more trouble.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:01 AM   #166
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

How much can you even trace back? If it's an inheritance you still need to show papers on a 50 year old watch?
Old 25 September 2020, 03:05 AM   #167
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
How much can you even trace back? If it's an inheritance you still need to show papers on a 50 year old watch?
I know right!! Great question. The only answer is, “but it’s the Zoll!!! Don’t mess with the Zoll!!!!”

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 25 September 2020, 03:09 AM   #168
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
could you imagine them trying to 19.5% a 4 digit daytona
Old 25 September 2020, 04:01 AM   #169
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
could you imagine them trying to 19.5% a 4 digit daytona
sounds like lots of people here would be having a great day knowing they did so much to help out their country
Old 25 September 2020, 11:47 AM   #170
Ballzzz

Scam
Old 25 September 2020, 11:52 AM   #171
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Lesson learned for traveling abroad. Like being held hostage.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2020, 12:28 PM   #172
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

What a nightmare!
Old 25 September 2020, 12:49 PM   #173
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
So, been reading this thread with interest since I do a ton of international traveling, (well, pre-covid). I have worn a Rolex going through customs in Europe, Central and South America, Asia, Australia, Africa, England, Canada, Mexico- the list is quite extensive. Of course coming back to the US as well. These watches have run the gambit, from a Daytona, GMT, EXplorer, Datejust and soon my SkyDweller. Forgive the Dorklehead question, but am I reading that at any of these customs offices, they can see the Rolex on my wrist, and demand I produce a receipt or they will impose a tax? I don’t get it.... ? My answer would be consistent, since I have purchased all my watches from the same AD here in my hometown. They know me well at the store and of course could vouch for me, but what if it is the middle of the night here in my hometown and I am halfway across the world (the store is closed). None of this seems to make sense.
Old 25 September 2020, 01:04 PM   #174
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
So, been reading this thread with interest since I do a ton of international traveling, (well, pre-covid). I have worn a Rolex going through customs in Europe, Central and South America, Asia, Australia, Africa, England, Canada, Mexico- the list is quite extensive. Of course coming back to the US as well. These watches have run the gambit, from a Daytona, GMT, EXplorer, Datejust and soon my SkyDweller. Forgive the Dorklehead question, but am I reading that at any of these customs offices, they can see the Rolex on my wrist, and demand I produce a receipt or they will impose a tax? I don’t get it.... ? My answer would be consistent, since I have purchased all my watches from the same AD here in my hometown. They know me well at the store and of course could vouch for me, but what if it is the middle of the night here in my hometown and I am halfway across the world (the store is closed). None of this seems to make sense.
Paul, I know it sounds crazy, but I think it can work that way. As my previous post stated, me and my wife were stopped over a ring she was wearing in Florida coming back from a cruise . When I say stopped, I mean taken to the "special" area and all our bags thoroughly searched and got interrogated. The customs people seemed young/new and were real pricks. I must hold my opinions back or this will become political and I will need to find a new forum, LOL
Old 25 September 2020, 03:05 PM   #175
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Paul, I know it sounds crazy, but I think it can work that way. As my previous post stated, me and my wife were stopped over a ring she was wearing in Florida coming back from a cruise . When I say stopped, I mean taken to the "special" area and all our bags thoroughly searched and got interrogated. The customs people seemed young/new and were real pricks. I must hold my opinions back or this will become political and I will need to find a new forum, LOL
Save me a spot there Wade, we will express our opinions together.

Part of my job is training LEOs, some police departments, boarder patrol, military units and yes, Customs, how to fly drones. Being an ex Military Pilot myself, I get along with most everyone on these teams, and find a mutual respect in every one of these groups... EXCEPT... Well, I’ll see you over there Wade.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:11 PM   #176
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes they can....if:

-you’re a resident and they believe you purchased from another country and owe tax to import said goods

-you’re just a tourist but they have reason to believe you’re bringing into their country to sell

As I’ve stated before if it’s on your own personal being and is obviously used, 99% of the time you’re good to go. But if it’s on your body and you also have the box/paperwork accompanying it in your bag......then it looks like you might be moving it and run into some trouble.

Again, it’s honestly not that crazy when you stop limiting this to simply wristwatches and encompass *all* goods with this policy. You can’t have tax free open borders worldwide, these rules are in place to protect the MSRP/pricing in their own countries. I’ve did a lot of import/export over the years and still do.....I can say with complete confidence that if these policies didn’t exist? I could EASILY pull down 6 figure profit within a few months just running goods from certain sectors with my checked luggage packed out. Just Apple alone is 30-40% more expensive in some countries.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:23 PM   #177
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Yes they can....if:

-you’re a resident and they believe you purchased from another country and owe tax to import said goods

-you’re just a tourist but they have reason to believe you’re bringing into their country to sell

As I’ve stated before if it’s on your own personal being and is obviously used, 99% of the time you’re good to go. But if it’s on your body and you also have the box/paperwork accompanying it in your bag......then it looks like you might be moving it and run into some trouble.

Again, it’s honestly not that crazy when you stop limiting this to simply wristwatches and encompass *all* goods with this policy. You can’t have tax free open borders worldwide, these rules are in place to protect the MSRP/pricing in their own countries. I’ve did a lot of import/export over the years and still do.....I can say with complete confidence that if these policies didn’t exist? I could EASILY pull down 6 figure profit within a few months just running goods from certain sectors with my checked luggage packed out. Just Apple alone is 30-40% more expensive in some countries.
I believe you, it just sounds...... incredulous. I travel all over the world and I wear my Rolex. So I enter a country, they stop me and say the Rolex on my wrist I am bringing in to the country to sell for a huge profit and have to pay tax on the price I would get for selling it in their country? That is nothing more then extortion. My SkyDweller is two months old, of course I have it for international travel, what if they challenge me? I don’t cary the @($(@) receipt around with me. They can call my AD, what if it’s in the middle of the night in San Diego? They force me to pay or I am refused entry? thrown in jail? What? It just doesn’t seem reasonable in a situation like mine. Now, if they searched and found box and papers in my luggage, of course, but I get the feeling if I am just wearing my Rolex in and out of a country (as I always do) I am vulnerable to a shake down.

Great, one more thing to worry about.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:41 PM   #178
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe you, it just sounds...... incredulous. I travel all over the world and I wear my Rolex. So I enter a country, they stop me and say the Rolex on my wrist I am bringing in to the country to sell for a huge profit and have to pay tax on the price I would get for selling it in their country? That is nothing more then extortion. My SkyDweller is two months old, of course I have it for international travel, what if they challenge me? I don’t cary the @($(@) receipt around with me. They can call my AD, what if it’s in the middle of the night in San Diego? They force me to pay or I am refused entry? thrown in jail? What? It just doesn’t seem reasonable in a situation like mine. Now, if they searched and found box and papers in my luggage, of course, but I get the feeling if I am just wearing my Rolex in and out of a country (as I always do) I am vulnerable to a shake down.

Great, one more thing to worry about.

If you explained said situation they’d probably let it slide. If not, you’d then have two options:

1. Leave at airport and pickup when you depart, as it verifies you’re taking it back out of country (most airports allow this).

2. Pay tax and then when you leave go back to the customs office with your paid paperwork showing they made you pay but it was never to be imported and you should get your money back. This is an incredible hassle and not guaranteed though.

Again, I’m just trying to inform everyone about what’s a possibility. I’ve never ever been questioned about something on my body or even in my bag if it looks used/worn. If it looks new and/or is accompanied by original packaging, then you best be prepared if you get searched/pulled aside. And I’m telling you, most tourist countries are really amping this up since they’ve lost so much $ with less influx of money from tourists this year. I say that from what I’ve experienced the past months, not some hunch or educated guess
Old 25 September 2020, 07:39 PM   #179
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I’m actually surprised we don’t see more of this at the end of those “how many watches should I take on my vacation?” threads. If they’re going to tax someone with a four year old watch on their wrist what are they going do to the guy with three extra watches in his luggage?
Old 25 September 2020, 07:54 PM   #180
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
I’m actually surprised we don’t see more of this at the end of those “how many watches should I take on my vacation?” threads. If they’re going to tax someone with a four year old watch on their wrist what are they going do to the guy with three extra watches in his luggage?
It’s always a possibility. I would never take a watch roll on vacation though, as it means you’re always leaving 1 (or more) in the hotel room. That’s nutty to me!

But in regards to the tax, a lot of people aren’t even aware if they buy say a new cell phone overseas, that should be declared on the way back in. For some reason a lot of people think if you pay tax in one country it’s covered in your home country but it’s not the case
Closed Thread