The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 September 2020, 11:16 AM   #1
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
FPJ CS Availability

To anyone that was recently looking for a CS, may I ask what you’ve been told about availability?

I’m keen to compare notes. I was told availability is uncertain and deposits can’t be accepted. Between the 1815 up/down and the CS, and the latter is pulling on heartstrings a lot stronger.

Thanks!

PS: only looking to buy from AD/boutique and not going grey.
Old 24 September 2020, 11:30 AM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Don’t know the answer to your question , but can comment on the decision you are facing - last year I was physically at a large pre-owned dealer - made an appointment specifically to look at the 1815 u/d... but walked out w a Journe (38mm octa lune). The 1815 u/d is a phenomenal watch but journes just seem to evoke more emotion when on the wrist.

W regard to availability, I suspect there will be a bit of a wait for a new CS given the pandemic shut-downs and the rise of FPJ’s popularity over the past year or so. But if it’s what your heart wants, I guarantee it would be worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:08 PM   #3
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
...but journes just seem to evoke more emotion when on the wrist...
Exactly! Love the ALS but the CS is something else.

As of now, timeline is uncertain and being told it will be some time next year. Thought about going WatchBox, but going AD for all the expected reasons plus the price difference isn’t tremendous.
Old 24 September 2020, 12:22 PM   #4
loftycomfort
"TRF" Member

There’s been a frenzy on the CS. When I bought mine at the AD back in July, there were a few to choose from. Two and a half weeks ago there were two left. As of today they are all gone, and I am not sure about the ETA for the next shipment.
loftycomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 12:53 PM   #5
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
I was looking at CS, but a new CS is near double an pre owned up/down. I went with an OG Pt Datograph

I understand why a CB has its price, but even with the CS’ handsome looks, I will not buy into bubble market on a model that should not be difficult to produce.

Now... some of the high end Journes... those are a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 01:34 PM   #6
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Can’t speak to that question, would suggest calling a Boutique, I’m sure they would be helpful.

However, you will not be disappointed with a CS, I’m partial to the platinum, you can play around with straps and it can become one of the most versatile watches in your collection. Casual on a brown, Formal on black, perfect balance on dark blue or dark brown.

Go for it.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 01:58 PM   #7
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post
Can’t speak to that question, would suggest calling a Boutique, I’m sure they would be helpful.

However, you will not be disappointed with a CS, I’m partial to the platinum, you can play around with straps and it can become one of the most versatile watches in your collection. Casual on a brown, Formal on black, perfect balance on dark blue or dark brown.

Go for it.

Thanks. Yes it’s the PT that I’m interested in... of all the iterations, it’s the one I like best. Price wise same as the Havana, and 10% more than the RG. I suspect the Havana is even harder to land but since it’s not my first or even second choice, I didn’t bother asking.

The black label is interesting, I don’t think the AD will be able to source it but I will check back again.

You’re right about the versatility. I’ve seen some pictures of the CS paired with straps in different colors, and all look great.
Old 24 September 2020, 02:24 PM   #8
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftycomfort View Post
There’s been a frenzy on the CS. When I bought mine at the AD back in July, there were a few to choose from. Two and a half weeks ago there were two left. As of today they are all gone, and I am not sure about the ETA for the next shipment.

Congrats on your CS! Do share pics. I’ve been tracking it here for some months now and it’s never been available for purchase. It’s great you were able to get it in good time.
Old 24 September 2020, 02:38 PM   #9
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
I was looking at CS, but a new CS is near double an pre owned up/down. I went with an OG Pt Datograph

I understand why a CB has its price, but even with the CS’ handsome looks, I will not buy into bubble market on a model that should not be difficult to produce.

Agreed. I was close to going FP instead of ALS but with the bubble ALS just made more sense to me. FP was great value used before the bubble. Stupid me for not buying a resonance when I was going to
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 02:39 PM   #10
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

FPJ CS Availability

Quote:

Congrats on your Datograph, outstanding watch.

Yes the difference in price new from AD is quite bit, but within the parameters of what I want in a dress watch, it’s these two that are the final choices, both excellent. I like the CB honestly, but the absurd prices don’t make sense to me. The CS hasn’t been similarly afflicted it appears.
Old 24 September 2020, 04:50 PM   #11
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Congrats on your Datograph, outstanding watch.

Yes the difference in price new from AD is quite bit, but within the parameters of what I want in a dress watch, it’s these two that are the final choices, both excellent. I like the CB honestly, but the absurd prices don’t make sense to me. The CS hasn’t been similarly afflicted it appears.

Thanks for the congratulations on the datograph!

I frankly love the Pt CS, and since I love PR indicators I too was thinking about the CS, or 1815/UP Down.

I just got really sour how Journe got extremely hot in the past 6 months.

At that the full boutique prices with Tax I thought a preowned Dato was better spent.

I hope hype on CS will slow down but we will see. WatchBox manipulates the supply and therefore the prices so got to be careful. But maybe just paranoid.

Best
Thanks

Old 24 September 2020, 05:47 PM   #12
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

What's the MSRP for the platinum CS? Grey is goes for € 35kish as full set here in Europe
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 06:44 PM   #13
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhahn44 View Post
What's the MSRP for the platinum CS? Grey is goes for € 35kish as full set here in Europe

Roughly the same give or take exchange variations.
Old 24 September 2020, 08:10 PM   #14
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I ordered for a friend from Tokyo Boutique. With a 50% deposit.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 09:19 PM   #15
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongster View Post
I ordered for a friend from Tokyo Boutique. With a 50% deposit.

You’re a good friend!

I considered the Tokyo boutique option, but as of now I have no visibility to when travel will resume.

How did you/your friend pay the deposit? If travel isn’t an option, do they offer to ship?
Old 24 September 2020, 10:21 PM   #16
vtac82
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
which one are you after? I was just at FPJ Tokyo...
vtac82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 10:44 PM   #17
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtac82 View Post
which one are you after? I was just at FPJ Tokyo...

CS platinum silver dial. Would love to know if you saw any CS there!
Old 24 September 2020, 11:38 PM   #18
Pongster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
You’re a good friend!

I considered the Tokyo boutique option, but as of now I have no visibility to when travel will resume.

How did you/your friend pay the deposit? If travel isn’t an option, do they offer to ship?

They dont offer to ship. Paid by bank wire.

So either another friend based in Tokyo can pick it up OR they will hold it until travel allowed provided i pay in full by year end (or pay the price increase if decide to pay next year). But for former option I have to pay local taxes.

Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 02:15 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Thanks for the congratulations on the datograph!

I frankly love the Pt CS, and since I love PR indicators I too was thinking about the CS, or 1815/UP Down.

I just got really sour how Journe got extremely hot in the past 6 months.

At that the full boutique prices with Tax I thought a preowned Dato was better spent.

I hope hype on CS will slow down but we will see. WatchBox manipulates the supply and therefore the prices so got to be careful. But maybe just paranoid.

Best
Thanks

Hard to fault you for that decision
Old 25 September 2020, 02:39 AM   #20
JCC296
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Best
Thanks

I would disagree that Watchbox manipulates the supply. They do inflate the preowned/grey prices, but the supply itself is running extremely low from the factory in Geneva. Many of the FPJ models are sold out for 2021 allocations and early 2022 at boutiques. They used to take 50% deposits and now down to 25% (due to uncertainty on delivery) and hot models like CB, RQ etc they stop taking deposits. The brand is just doing very well in general and preowned market is strong. Numbers of 5711 blue dial alone listed on chrono24 is twice of ALL FPJ watches listed

Oh, and beautiful Dato you have there!
JCC296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:16 AM   #21
shafran
"TRF" Member

A used cs is definately available.

From watchbox and others. The issue is that all new Journes are out of stock and need to be ordered. Due to limited production, there is a wait from everything at the boutique right now. If you dont mind preowned under warranty, it is available. There is surely a Journe bubble. I traded out of 1 of my Jounres way too soon, the other just a little too soon. I still have two though. Lange( I have both Lange and Journe) is a better deal now, but somehow I find the Journe watches sublime.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 08:38 PM   #22
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shafran View Post
From watchbox and others. The issue is that all new Journes are out of stock and need to be ordered. Due to limited production, there is a wait from everything at the boutique right now. If you dont mind preowned under warranty, it is available. There is surely a Journe bubble. I traded out of 1 of my Jounres way too soon, the other just a little too soon. I still have two though. Lange( I have both Lange and Journe) is a better deal now, but somehow I find the Journe watches sublime.
Depends on how you define a bubble I suppose. I think it is quite possible that this is just the new normal for FPJ. When you only make around 800 watches a year, all it takes is a small uptick in demand to really affect inventory. FPJ has gotten much more popular across the board the last year, and we are really seeing that play out in availability. It isn't hard to squeeze it with such low production.

And the good news is outside of the totally "unobtainables" like the CB and new Dubai, most things can still be had with a wait of a year or under. I think Havanas are around a year, same with Elegante. Unsure on CS but my strong guess speaking to the Boutique weekly is less than a year. If you want something from the higher end of the range, particularly in a low run color, then yes, you might be waiting awhile, but for the most part it's easier to get your desired FPJ than it is to get any Patek sport model (assuming same level of "relationship with the boutique").

Black label stuff has become a kind of application piece now, that they usually special order and have built for you, unless one is on the yearly build list and not pre-sold, so if you want a black dial anything it could be a wait (and of course requires previous FPJ ownership history now).

edit: Shafran, I do strongly agree with you that FPJ is no longer the incredible value it was over a year ago, but I think when compared with Patek (and VC, AP, Breguet, etc.) FPJ is still providing strong value when viewing complication, build quality, value retention and pricing (to acquire). I have several FPJs ordered and coming in sometime during the next year or so, and feel like dollar for dollar, even purchasing brand new, I am getting more watch for my money then I could from pretty much any manufacturer (eye of the beholder of course).
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 05:46 AM   #23
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC296 View Post
I would disagree that Watchbox manipulates the supply. They do inflate the preowned/grey prices, but the supply itself is running extremely low from the factory in Geneva. Many of the FPJ models are sold out for 2021 allocations and early 2022 at boutiques. They used to take 50% deposits and now down to 25% (due to uncertainty on delivery) and hot models like CB, RQ etc they stop taking deposits. The brand is just doing very well in general and preowned market is strong. Numbers of 5711 blue dial alone listed on chrono24 is twice of ALL FPJ watches listed

Oh, and beautiful Dato you have there!

Agree with your points. Nice resonance in your avatar!