The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 September 2020, 09:34 PM   #1
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Chipped Crystal

Should I purchase this watch that I love from a trusted watchmaker, or not? I can afford it, the watch is in good condition, only problem is the chip on the crystal at the 12 hour marker. It’s surely not a crack inside of it as it was just serviced. But the chip kinda bothers me even though it’s not super easy to see. Should I buy it and change it right away? Or simply Buy it and Change the crystal but later on, when I’ll need a full service? I’m dubious but I really want the watch, it is exactly how I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 81B0A65E-EB17-4385-9210-91367D4F7F04.jpeg (69.1 KB, 527 views)
Grimoald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 09:35 PM   #2
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

It’s a Rolex Datejust 16234. It has papers, original box, manual, etc.
The seller is a trusted source. Any opinions on this?
Old 24 September 2020, 09:39 PM   #3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
I would not consider the watch to be in Good condition with a chipped crystal, I would ask the seller to replace or discount the price for the replacement cost...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 09:40 PM   #4
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I would not hesitate. I would like to say I would buy it and wait but that would bother me and I would have to have it done right away. I would certainly take the new crystal into account for the purchase price. You say it was just serviced - did the chip just happen or did they not replace the crystal?
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 09:40 PM   #5
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Thank you! Yeah I think I’m gonna do that. At least a discount if they don’t wanna change the crystal now.
Old 24 September 2020, 09:41 PM   #6
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesnyder View Post
I would not hesitate. I would like to say I would buy it and wait but that would bother me and I would have to have it done right away. I would certainly take the new crystal into account for the purchase price. You say it was just serviced - did the chip just happen or did they not replace the crystal?
I need to ask, I believe they didn’t notice and simply didn’t change it.
Old 24 September 2020, 11:10 PM   #7
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If a watchmaker has just serviced it & they didn’t change the crystal- which can be seen - makes me wonder what else they didn’t change that was damaged inside the movement that can’t be seen?

Personally I would find another, it’s not like a Datejust is a rare or difficult watch to source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2020, 11:23 PM   #8
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
If a watchmaker has just serviced it & they didn’t change the crystal- which can be seen - makes me wonder what else they didn’t change that was damaged inside the movement that can’t be seen?

Personally I would find another, it’s not like a Datejust is a rare or difficult watch to source

I must say they’ve been in the business for quite a while. I wouldn’t trash them completely for a chip in the crystal they probably thought wasn’t a major problem. I’m gonna ask them though, and maybe wait for another piece to arrive or simply to have the crystal replaced if possible, or a discount.
I highly doubt they didn’t service it or that they left damaged parts inside, but that’s just me.
Old 25 September 2020, 01:44 AM   #9
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimoald View Post
I must say they’ve been in the business for quite a while. I wouldn’t trash them completely for a chip in the crystal they probably thought wasn’t a major problem. I’m gonna ask them though, and maybe wait for another piece to arrive or simply to have the crystal replaced if possible, or a discount.
I highly doubt they didn’t service it or that they left damaged parts inside, but that’s just me.

If your ok with it that’s all that matters

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 02:40 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The last time that I bought a Rolex from a dealer that had a chipped crystal, they were more than happy to change it when it was pointed out.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:45 AM   #11
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If this was overlooked than the watch has not been serviced by somebody worthy of the title watchmaker

Bring it to Rolex and it will set you back 900 Euro for a service and crystal. Rolex is not likely willing to change the crystal without a service.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:56 AM   #12
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
I need to ask, I believe they didn’t notice and simply didn’t change it.
is the watchmaker blind?
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 03:34 AM   #13
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Ok so Yes, they didn’t notice. It’s easy to spot on the picture I posted but not so much in “real” life. They accepted to sell it for discount of about the same price of a Rolex crystal. So then if I want to change it I can do it, but they also suggested not to change it now because it could bother me even more if I had to chip the new crystal after a week or two from the moment of purchase. Again, the watch runs fine, it was checked and pressure tested, and I trust this guy, made other deals with him and they were completely fine. Thank you all for your advice, I think I’m buying this one. Will keep you updated if there will be more problems with it.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:36 AM   #14
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
If this was overlooked than the watch has not been serviced by somebody worthy of the title watchmaker

Bring it to Rolex and it will set you back 900 Euro for a service and crystal. Rolex is not likely willing to change the crystal without a service.
When it’ll need a service, I would be happy to bring it to Rolex for a complete service.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:37 AM   #15
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The last time that I bought a Rolex from a dealer that had a chipped crystal, they were more than happy to change it when it was pointed out.
Yep, they suggested to me to “wear it For some time, and if I’m not ok with it they change the crystal”. I’m price-wise paying for a watch with no crystal since they excluded the price of a Rolex sapphire from the total amount. 👍🏻
Old 25 September 2020, 03:38 AM   #16
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
is the watchmaker blind?
It’s not super easy to see in real life I must admit. Less than many chips i’ve seen on other crystals. They sell a lot of watches, everyone can overlook a little detail. It’s not like it’s a damaged marker or something like that.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:45 AM   #17
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
...but they also suggested not to change it now because it could bother me even more if I had to chip the new crystal after a week or two from the moment of purchase.
That's the weirdest bit of caution I've heard from a seller, and the more I think about it, the more suspicious it comes across.

Your sapphire crystal isn't going to get "dinged up" from wearing it for a week or two, or even several years, unless you do something drastic to it (bump it hard against a sharp object or outright drop it). Most of us here have watches with sapphire crystals in excellent condition, without any cracks, and we've been wearing our watches for years- for others, decades.

What does get dinged up is the case itself. Minor scratches- sometimes from bumping the watch against something, sometimes from the fibers in our clothes rubbing against it. But cracking the crystal from regular wear? Come on, that's nonsense.

I understand the seller has previous good history, but there's a first for everything. I'd have that thing checked out by someone else the minute you take possession of it, and have the crystal replaced ASAP. Cracks grow- and if you were to listen to this seller's advice, any potential growth in the crack would render your watch unusable near any water.
Old 25 September 2020, 03:47 AM   #18
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
That's the weirdest bit of caution I've heard from a seller, and the more I think about it, the more suspicious it comes across.

Your sapphire crystal isn't going to get "dinged up" from wearing it for a week or two, or even several years, unless you do something drastic to it (bump it hard against a sharp object or outright drop it). Most of us here have watches with sapphire crystals in excellent condition, without any cracks, and we've been wearing our watches for years- for others, decades.

What does get dinged up is the case itself. Minor scratches- sometimes from bumping the watch against something, sometimes from the fibers in our clothes rubbing against it. But cracking the crystal from regular wear? Come on, that's nonsense.

I understand the seller has previous good history, but there's a first for everything. I'd have that thing checked out by someone else the minute you take possession of it, and have the crystal replaced ASAP. Cracks grow- and if you were to listen to this seller's advice, any potential growth in the crack would render your watch unusable near any water.
Honestly they offered me to try it and I can replace it from them if I want to, there’s really no need to get it checked and replace it immediately. It’s not a crack, It’s just a superficial chip, doesn’t extend below whatsoever. It passed the test, I think it’s fine.
Old 25 September 2020, 04:15 AM   #19
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
have them fix, then buy it! i would not take it until it was done, trusted seller or not...
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 04:18 AM   #20
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
RSC nyc fixed a scratched crystal on an OP39 I used to have for ~$315, ask the seller to do it or reduce price?
Old 25 September 2020, 04:24 AM   #21
Grimoald
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
RSC nyc fixed a scratched crystal on an OP39 I used to have for ~$315, ask the seller to do it or reduce price?
They reduced it for the price of a Rolex crystal, will change it when I want to. I think I’m gonna live with this esthetic little damage until it gets annoying and then I’ll change it.
Old 25 September 2020, 05:18 AM   #22
al1786
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
When you do get around to replacing the crystal the replacement will not have the laser etched crown, instead it will be a laser etched S indicating a service crystal.

al1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 05:43 AM   #23
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
They reduced it for the price of a Rolex crystal, will change it when I want to. I think I’m gonna live with this esthetic little damage until it gets annoying and then I’ll change it.
Old 25 September 2020, 05:48 AM   #24
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Agreed. It doesn't seem all that confidence inspiring. If a seller offers to knock off the price of repairing it to a good standard, why haven't they already had it repaired to a good standard?
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 05:53 AM   #25
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
service

In my experience RSC would not let that crytal go back out the door during service.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:19 PM   #26
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1786 View Post
When you do get around to replacing the crystal the replacement will not have the laser etched crown, instead it will be a laser etched S indicating a service crystal.

Wrong
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:31 PM   #27
bmb15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
is the watchmaker blind?
Yes, he must be blind, but he certainly is a genius to service a Rolex movement without seeing it …
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 11:41 PM   #28
The Continental
Banned

Either have them change the crystal for you or discount the price of the watch by the price of a new crystal. If they won't do either........bye-bye!!!
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 06:24 AM   #29
scooter2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by al1786 View Post

My 2001 14060M was serviced in 2015 at RSC UK.

It had a chipped crystal and was replaced costing me £78 within the £680 price which also included a new bezel insert, new crown, new oyster link and full service.

The new crystal came with the etched crown at 6 o'clock.

scooter
scooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote