The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 24 September 2020, 09:28 PM   #31
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
I do.
Along with the thousands (millions?) of people that associate the Jubilee bracelet with a more feminine look. That doesn't mean men can't wear it, it just means it's less masculine, in the same way that a YM is more svelte than a Sub.

Is a piece of steel being shaped in a more svelte way a bad thing?
It is to some men I suppose.
K

I’ve asked just about every guy I know in the last six months if they thought the Jubilee bracelet I was wearing was feminine and not one said yes. Millions???? Yeah no. I’d hate to see what people like you think of the presidential bracelet. that must be practically menstrual to you.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 24 September 2020, 09:38 PM   #32
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcambrid View Post
I feel like anyone who wants to use the ridiculous moniker of “batgirl” needs to donate $100 to the forum for the right to do so...those funds will then be converted to wiskey for the rest of us that have to tolerate this BS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 24 September 2020, 10:03 PM   #33
David001
Banned

I'm pleased to see that you guys have a sense of humour, sometimes watch forums can be a little dry and I wondered if this thread would get deleted, but here it is still and there are no death threats or insults.

Vive la difference as they say.
Old 24 September 2020, 10:08 PM   #34
LDN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I’ve been studying watches for 40 years. I love them. I’m obsessed with time really. I’ve looked at every brand there is. One of my favorite brands is Rolex. Same as many here. I’ve been drooling over Rolex my entire life. I’ve seen the Jubilee bracelet thousands and thousands of times since the 1970s and not once did I ever even think of the word feminine when looking at one. I truly have no idea where you people come up with that. Some of the most masculine men I knew in movies and TV shows wore Jubilee bracelets on their Rolex. There’s nothing feminine about the vast majority of Rolex watches. There are a few feminine Rolex watches but those are very obvious.
This!
Old 24 September 2020, 10:12 PM   #35
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
The term batgirl was invented by people whose feelings were hurt over the new BLNR getting a Jubilee bracelet. It’s meant as a derogatory term.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Agreed!
Old 24 September 2020, 10:14 PM   #36
LDN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
These are old school gender traits but typically masculine is tool focused and form secondary. It’s often simple, brutal, industrial with few frills.

The GMT Master 2 on Jubilee is colorful, shiny, delicately designed and travel-focused. I see it as a traveler’s watch; whimsy and style.

A Submariner is a tool to save your miserable life while doing dangerous hard work or military endeavors.

That’s just how I see things. I really like pretty feminine watches as well as “tool” style masculine watches. Just like I enjoy a pretty Ferrari convertible and a rugged off-roader.
Wow! This is getting quite complicated!
Old 24 September 2020, 10:15 PM   #37
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
The term batgirl was invented by people whose feelings were hurt over the new BLNR getting a Jubilee bracelet. It’s meant as a derogatory term.
Unfortunately for them this is the correct explanation. Also, these folks apparently spend too much time thinking about comic book heroes when they’re not on TRF
Old 24 September 2020, 10:21 PM   #38
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
I have the Batgirl. The name doesn't bother me, although I refer to it as the Batman Jubilee. I guess I'm secure enough in my masculinity to wear it proudly. I do agree the Jubilee seems more dressy than the Oyster, and it is extremely comfortable on the wrist. It's part of the collection and gets alot of wear.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41Mint Green
Old 24 September 2020, 10:35 PM   #39
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Wow, I had no idea the derision this would cause lol! Even in the for sale section, the term Batgirl is used. Thanks for the explanations.
Old 25 September 2020, 07:37 AM   #40
jamescarter2a
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mostly Rolex
If Rolex itself says it's Batman and not Batgirl...
Attached Images
File Type: png Batman BLNR.png (40.1 KB, 166 views)
Old 25 September 2020, 07:44 AM   #41
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescarter2a View Post
Wow that’s awesome. I just checked it out myself. It’s exactly as you have in your pictures. I guess that’s it then. Rolex themselves have spoken. Case closed. Batman it is.

Instagram - patton250
Old 25 September 2020, 07:46 AM   #42
Dahh
Banned

People don't like when they hear those names, but I don't see anything wrong with these names though
Old 25 September 2020, 07:56 AM   #43
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That is cool.

So will people now accept comic book hero nicknames?

"Hulk" doesn't come up with anything, but that makes sense since that model is no longer offered.
But "Kermit" also negative.
Same with "Bluesy".

"Pepsi" leads to the red/blue GMT.
"James Cameron" and "Cameron" lead to the D-Blue.

Obviously, someone at Rolex has decided to code those search results.
Will be interesting to see if more in the future appear.
Old 25 September 2020, 08:02 AM   #44
jamescarter2a
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mostly Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
That is cool.

So will people now accept comic book hero nicknames?

"Hulk" doesn't come up with anything, but that makes sense since that model is no longer offered.
But "Kermit" also negative.
Same with "Bluesy".

"Pepsi" leads to the red/blue GMT.
"James Cameron" and "Cameron" lead to the D-Blue.

Obviously, someone at Rolex has decided to code those search results.
Will be interesting to see if more in the future appear.
"Kermit" did come up with 126610LV when I tried it earlier today

Also found several others but I'll let you search for yourselves ;)

Good guess on Cameron, I hadn't tried this one !
Old 25 September 2020, 08:18 AM   #45
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
"Kermit" did come up with 126610LV when I tried it earlier today

Also found several others but I'll let you search for yourselves ;)

Good guess on Cameron, I hadn't tried this one !
I tried "Kermit" again and this time it worked!
Had never thought to search by nicknames. Thanks for sharing that.

Hmmm, are Sesame Street nicknames any sillier than comic book heroes?

As for Batman vs Batgirl, I think much of the world would find spending so much money on anachronistic mechanical watches much sillier or more offensive than those appellations.

As for whether a Jubilee is more feminine, of course that's a matter of opinion.
But many people I know feel that way. Like my wife who chose a Jubilee bracelet for her DJ over an Oyster for exactly that reason. And multiple family members.

I have a GMTc LN.
If I were to get another GMT, I'd prefer Batgirl over Batman because I think polished links look better on a Jubilee.
Would have no problems calling it Batgirl.

Old 25 September 2020, 08:45 AM   #46
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Rolex site shows the closest thing to a Batman because it has discontinued the Batman. For Rolex there is only one steel GMT with a black and blue bezel. For the rest of us, the oyster-bracelet version of that GMT is still very much bought and sold on this forum — and very much appreciated. A nickname is an abbreviation of sorts. That’s why very few three-syllable nicknames survive in the Rolex world. “Batman-on-jubilee” defeats the whole point of nicknames. I’m sorry it offends 126710BLNR owners, but when someone says “Batgirl” I know immediately which watch he is referring to. If he says “Batman,” I don’t.
Old 25 September 2020, 08:47 AM   #47
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
What a ridiculous thread.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 25 September 2020, 08:56 AM   #48
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
Rolex site shows the closest thing to a Batman because it has discontinued the Batman. For Rolex there is only one steel GMT with a black and blue bezel. For the rest of us, the oyster-bracelet version of that GMT is still very much bought and sold on this forum — and very much appreciated. A nickname is an abbreviation of sorts. That’s why very few three-syllable nicknames survive in the Rolex world. “Batman-on-jubilee” defeats the whole point of nicknames. I’m sorry it offends 126710BLNR owners, but when someone says “Batgirl” I know immediately which watch is referring to. If he says “Batman,” I don’t.
Well then learn the model numbers. They are different. Seems that would make most people happier here anyway since they seem to hate these nicknames.

There are two parties here. There are people that don’t care about the name and there are people that do. Seems to me a great compromise would be since there are people that don’t care about the name they would respect others that do and not use it. If you find yourself unable to do that it has to be more than the name. I think some people just like irking fellow forum members that actually own the reference.

Instagram - patton250
Old 25 September 2020, 09:04 AM   #49
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Can't chose your own nicknames. Def Batgirl girl watch for feminine men. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 25 September 2020, 09:10 AM   #50
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Datejust jubilee has been the businessman's choice for decades. I can understand those that think it's a little old fashioned but a girl's bracelet? Absolute crap Imo. Absolute crap and a stupid nickname.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 25 September 2020, 09:13 AM   #51
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
It's just feminine that's all. It's pretty and delicate and style-forward. I prefer the Jubilee bracelets.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:37 PM   #52
David001
Banned

Quote:

As for whether a Jubilee is more feminine, of course that's a matter of opinion.
But many people I know feel that way. Like my wife who chose a Jubilee bracelet for her DJ over an Oyster for exactly that reason. And multiple family members.

Agreed, and having the term Batgirl means I instantly know which watch we're talking about, so it's just convenience.

Personally it wouldn't bother me if any of my watches had a female nickname. I've got no ego tied to it, hell sometimes I even wear my wife's Bell & Ross black BRS Ceramic.
Old 25 September 2020, 02:44 PM   #53
David001
Banned

Quote:

There are two parties here. There are people that don’t care about the name and there are people that do. Seems to me a great compromise would be since there are people that don’t care about the name they would respect others that do and not use it. If you find yourself unable to do that it has to be more than the name. I think some people just like irking fellow forum members that actually own the reference.
Dude, if you think it's necessary to have a safe space where some people can operate without emotionally breaking down if the Batgirl term is used then I'm happy to drop it.

Old 25 September 2020, 03:01 PM   #54
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:

These nicknames are silly, but c'mon, would Batman wear a Rolex on a Jubilee bracelet?

No, but Bruce Wayne would. Batman would just ask his car or Alfred for the time.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 25 September 2020, 04:42 PM   #55
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robf52 View Post
I have the Batgirl. The name doesn't bother me, although I refer to it as the Batman Jubilee. I guess I'm secure enough in my masculinity to wear it proudly. I do agree the Jubilee seems more dressy than the Oyster, and it is extremely comfortable on the wrist. It's part of the collection and gets alot of wear.
I’m in exactly the same boat!
I love my Batgirl
Old 25 September 2020, 07:59 PM   #56
Jamhot
"TRF" Member

Once more, with feeling. FACT:The Batman nickname is derived from the black & blue bezel & the same bezel is still in use. FACT: The Pepsi nickname has not changed, regardless of its Oyster bracelet, Jubilee bracelet, Meteorite dial or white gold case.
Therefore, it is logical to conclude that the nickname is and always should have been the Batman. The forum has already informed you of the derogatory nature of the fringe nickname "Batgirl". This has nothing to do with gender but it is about consistency. That is why the Batman is identified as such on the Rolex site and that the Kermit is back. For all the trolls out there, are you going to come out with a new nickname when you put your Batman on a strap?
Old 25 September 2020, 09:05 PM   #57
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Dude, if you think it's necessary to have a safe space where some people can operate without emotionally breaking down if the Batgirl term is used then I'm happy to drop it.

Safe space? If you knew me in person you’d realize how ridiculous that statement is being applied to me.

And the only point I’ve been trying to make as we try to stay friendly on this forum and since we know this term was created out of distain for the new reference and meant as an insult why continue to use it when it bothers some of the people that own one? Most of the people that use the term, several of the last few posts in fact, were done as an insult. I realize there’s a few virtue signalers in here as well pretending it’s about women but most use it in a bad way and almost everyone knows it now. Some people just enjoy perplexing other people I guess. BTW I don’t own one.

Instagram - patton250
Old 25 September 2020, 09:29 PM   #58
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
These are both nicknames for the 126710BLNR, right? Just wondering, as until recently I had never heard the term Batgirl used.
Yes these child like names are now used by many that are to lazy to learn the correct reference numbers for Rolex watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 25 September 2020, 09:42 PM   #59
David001
Banned

Quote:
Safe space? If you knew me in person you’d realize how ridiculous that statement is being applied to me.

And the only point I’ve been trying to make as we try to stay friendly on this forum and since we know this term was created out of distain for the new reference and meant as an insult why continue to use it when it bothers some of the people that own one? Most of the people that use the term, several of the last few posts in fact, were done as an insult. I realize there’s a few virtue signalers in here as well pretending it’s about women but most use it in a bad way and almost everyone knows it now. Some people just enjoy perplexing other people I guess. BTW I don’t own one.
Maybe I'm looking for humour in a place it isn't to be found.

The watch is beautiful with either bracelet, I thought it was a light hearted tease, but if some people genuinely are upset by it then obviously I've misread the situation.

I'm an ex-military guy and with an English sense of humour thrown in I think it's easy for things to wash over me.
Old 25 September 2020, 09:44 PM   #60
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm looking for humour in a place it isn't to be found.

The watch is beautiful with either bracelet, I thought it was a light hearted tease, but if some people genuinely are upset by it then obviously I've misread the situation.

I'm an ex-military guy and with an English sense of humour thrown in I think it's easy for things to wash over me.
Fair enough.

Instagram - patton250
Closed Thread