The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2017, 02:48 PM   #1
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Is this a Rolex owner issue?..

About 3 months ago I purchased a new 214270. I think the lumed numerals and updated movement brings it back to its roots a bit more so than other references. It wears perfectly and looks amazing, plus no one knows it's a Rolex which is great (or terrible depending on who you are). Yet I can's stop thinking about flipping it for a SubC, even though I've tried it on and it feels a bit bulky compared to my Uncles 14060. Then I start looking at GMT's and think I need a pepsi or a BLNR. I cant tell if the Explorer isn't the right watch for me, or if I just want all of them!
HOW DO YOU GUYS DEAL WITH THIS
flip and buy, save and buy... How do you know which models are for you and which aren't?
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
there's no right answer, but i did have a exp 6d and it didn't last...

howver, a 14060 is almost never kicked out of a collection (smart uncle), nor a GMT -- especially a 5d version.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 03:10 PM   #3
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubins930 View Post
You pretty much just keep buying.....this is a bad group to hang out with with regards to your wallet heh.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 03:48 PM   #4
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Get into other brands. You'll still spend a lot of money, but you'll be concerned with more than which Rolex to buy. The resultant confusion will put you in a semi-comatosed state so you won't worry about it anymore.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I had 114060... flipped for 214270... flipped for 116610LN... I feel your pain!! However, I am finally content (or maybe just exhausted). If you have the itch, flip and give the next one a try! I think if you land on a SubC or BLNR, you will be a bit more content. I will definitely add an Explorer reference back and some point. For now, loving my Sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 04:50 PM   #6
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
About 3 months ago I purchased a new 214270. I think the lumed numerals and updated movement brings it back to its roots a bit more so than other references. It wears perfectly and looks amazing, plus no one knows it's a Rolex which is great (or terrible depending on who you are). Yet I can's stop thinking about flipping it for a SubC, even though I've tried it on and it feels a bit bulky compared to my Uncles 14060. Then I start looking at GMT's and think I need a pepsi or a BLNR. I cant tell if the Explorer isn't the right watch for me, or if I just want all of them!
flip and buy, save and buy... How do you know which models are for you and which aren't?
Either keep buying, or start off buying used (to minimize your losses) and flip until you find one you really like. Once you find the one that you love, wear it a year or two before a service is needed and flip it and buy a NIB one
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:08 PM   #7
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsykedaddy View Post
Either keep buying, or start off buying used (to minimize your losses) and flip until you find one you really like. Once you find the one that you love, wear it a year or two before a service is needed and flip it and buy a NIB one
Not the worst advice I've ever heard

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:56 PM   #8
juliet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
I have the 214270, sent a lot of time deciding before purchasing it. I had thought that I wanted a GMT but in the end preferred the Explorer. I'm looking for my next watch and am trying to like the Sub but it just doesn't really do it for me. In fact I'm not sure that anything in the Rolex line appeals compared to my Explorer. Thinking of just saving up and getting a Patek 5196. For me the Explorer is the perfect tool watch, it just does its job, very easy to wear, very comfortable.
juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:59 PM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
I guess this is what's called collecting. Glad to have my collection but the down side is not to spend enough time with any of my watches. There are advantages to being a one watch guy.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:55 PM   #10
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Life's too short, flip flip flip!
Old 15 June 2017, 09:27 PM   #11
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would work to a two watch collection. That way as your tastes and money change you can have some consistency in the collection. For me a one watch flipper is always on the hunt and any misstep is felt immediately. Thus more flipping. With a two watch collection one is always right.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 09:49 PM   #12
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I too purchased a 214270 2.5 months ago. It replaced my old 16750 that my son picked as his graduation present. Thought I was going to be happy with the Explorer but found I really missed the date and GMT function so just flipped it this week for a 216570 (black dial) and am happy with the switch.
Uhtred59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 12:18 AM   #13
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I am into saving and buying, but you can also try flipping.
Old 16 June 2017, 12:26 AM   #14
drm20

Watch: Just one more
Keep trying/buying different models until you find what you really like. You can always sell what you don't like in the classifieds here.
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 12:38 AM   #15
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

I picked up a 214270 in February and it was supposed to be the icing on my collection. I love it. But it also introduced me to the Rolex brand and caused some shuffling to occur in the watch box. Three months after adding the Explorer, I picked up a 116710 BLNR. Aside from two Omegas that are now on the chopping block, the collection finally feels stable. Between the understated elegance of the Explorer and the useful beauty of the GMT -- not to mention a few other brands -- I'm satisfied. At least until Basel 2018.
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 12:56 AM   #16
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
About 3 months ago I purchased a new 214270. I think the lumed numerals and updated movement brings it back to its roots a bit more so than other references. It wears perfectly and looks amazing, plus no one knows it's a Rolex which is great (or terrible depending on who you are).
It sounds like you really love the watch and it's even better than you expected. You should definitely flip it!

Old 16 June 2017, 01:07 AM   #17
dubins930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
It sounds like you really love the watch and it's even better than you expected. You should definitely flip it!

It does slightly boggle the mind when you say it aloud haha
Old 16 June 2017, 01:53 AM   #18
jhcam8
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Get into other brands. You'll still spend a lot of money, but you'll be concerned with more than which Rolex to buy. The resultant confusion will put you in a semi-comatosed state so you won't worry about it anymore.
jhcam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 04:02 AM   #19
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

If you don't have an endless supply of $ the easiest way to stop watch lusting is to stay off of TRF. All of the great pictures will convince you that you "NEED" to flip for this watch or that. It's a never ending void and buying "stuff" never fills holes. Sounds like you have a nice watch. Put it on, go outside and enjoy it.
Btw I'm not being harsh, I give myself this talk regularly.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 05:19 AM   #20
rpl77
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC, 16710B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfd70 View Post
If you don't have an endless supply of $ the easiest way to stop watch lusting is to stay off of TRF. All of the great pictures will convince you that you "NEED" to flip for this watch or that. It's a never ending void and buying "stuff" never fills holes. Sounds like you have a nice watch. Put it on, go outside and enjoy it.
Agree 100%. I bought a DJ2 and the DaytonaC in a span of a month, and yet felt the itch ti buying something else. After I deleted the Tapatalk app from my phone and stayed off the forums for a few days, the itch to buy a 16710 Pepsi has significantly decreased..not entirely gone, just decreased
rpl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 06:04 AM   #21
dubins930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfd70 View Post
Not harsh at all, the "be happy because you have something great" is also something i require from time to time. Thank you!
Old 16 June 2017, 06:12 AM   #22
KBM

flippind used watches until falling in love and then buying that one nib is actually a great approach.

I don't think I could have only one, but as mentioned above, it'd be great to spend that much more time with a watch I love.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 06:54 AM   #23
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Just keep on buying until you drop and hang dry then you will stop since there is no money left. kidding aside, Rolex is a material thing that fuels your desire and might not bring happiness
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 06:58 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
flippind used watches until falling in love and then buying that one nib is actually a great approach.

I don't think I could have only one, but as mentioned above, it'd be great to spend that much more time with a watch I love.
Yup. Play the field and sow your wild oats before you settle down with a keeper.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 07:02 AM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Its been trial and error for me Aaron.

In the beginning (like when dinosaurs roamed the earth) I thought I was content to have one. Then, like you I started to pay more attention to other references.

The big mistake was joining here

Seriously though, if you buy right, you can minimize your losses and flip a few before you settle into what works best for you. Sadly, you may have a few missteps along the way that cost you a few dollars, (I know I sure did) but its all part of the hobby and in the grand scheme its not likely to make a difference to your retirement.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 07:16 AM   #26
WatchOut4It
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
After I deleted the Tapatalk app from my phone and stayed off the forums for a few days, the itch to buy ...

It's a good thing you found a backup to Tapatalk! Where would we be if we didn't have the forums? (Best not to answer that... ;-)
WatchOut4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 07:51 AM   #27
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
It wears perfectly and looks amazing, plus no one knows it's a Rolex which is great (or terrible depending on who you are).

I cant tell if the Explorer isn't the right watch for me, or if I just want all of them!

How do you know which models are for you and which aren't?
Give some serious thought to flipping a watch that wears perfectly and looks amazing...in my experience, a watch like that deserves a spot in your collection. Smarter play would be saving up and adding the sub-c (another great watch, IMO) at some point down the road.

How do I know which models are right for me? Give you a hint, wearing perfectly and looking amazing go a long way toward making my decision.
And by the way, the EXP will not likely be leaving my collection anytime soon.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 08:24 AM   #28
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

The big mistake was joining here
Yes.

OP,
I am not a fan of flipping, but then again, I would never keep a watch that I don't have a special connection with, so if you feel you are not that hot about the explorer (which is a beautiful watch), then flip and get something that you like.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 09:11 AM   #29
ttomczak

Watch: The Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
You pretty much just keep buying.....this is a bad group to hang out with with regards to your wallet heh.

This!

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2017, 09:33 AM   #30
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Most Rolex models have an allure of some kind for a whole host of different reasons.

You buy the one you like most, enjoy it, develop an eye for the subtleties between the different references, and before you know it, you've zeroed in on another reference and then it's a fait-de-complit before you pull the trigger again.

And the the cycle repeats as far as ones wallet allows it to.

I've never yet flipped one of my Rolex watches and I'm Almost embarrassed to now own up to how many I possess. (I bought another today!)

By nature I'm a collector anyway and always have been through life. My collecting radar has now focused on Rolex, and I'm happy that it has.

As you can see, you're not the first, and certainly won't be the last to succumb to the loonacy of it all.

Welcome to the madhouse.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
214270 , explorer , rolex , submariner