The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 January 2020, 03:01 AM   #1
prk154
"TRF" Member

Explorer Looking to Trade Up

Hello all,

I've been trying to trade up my Mk1 Explorer for a while now and I'm suffering with the same frustrations that I'm sure most of you are.

My name is on the "list" at many local Ads with no hope in sight, but it pains me to pay so much over retail for a "common" black sub or GMT from a gray.

I've been offered more than what I paid for my Explorer and now I'm wondering if I should apply the funds and buy a sub or GMT from a reputable gray or wait for "the call?"

Last thought, I've always loved the SD4k and I've come across one on a gray sight with no box or papers and about 1.5k under what they've been typically going for. Do I pay up for it with the thought that 1.) I'm getting the watch I've always wanted and 2.) It most likely won't lose value?

Thanks in advance!
prk154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 03:03 AM   #2
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
If you’re in a hurry buy rom Gray. If you make money on your explorer that lessens the pain of paying over retail.

SD4K is a great watch.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 03:09 AM   #3
Aircraftman
"TRF" Member

Keep your Explorer you will regret getting rid of it.

Save up for your new watch in 2020!

Favorite watch: Seiko Orange Monster cause when I’m wearing it I’m diving in some far flung corner of the planet!
Aircraftman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 03:15 AM   #4
MSchu
Banned

who offered you more than you paid?
I have a couple pieces I can move to buy something else.
MSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 03:24 AM   #5
prk154
"TRF" Member

I've obviously given up hope that the AD will offer me any of the rarer pieces (hulk, blnr, Pepsi, etc.).

So I've settled with the decision of black sub/GMT via waiting for AD, paying gray premium for the same, OR paying extreme gray premium for a higher value piece.
Old 2 January 2020, 03:29 AM   #6
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Do what is going to make you happy, if that means going gray to grab a GMT now I’d say do it...you’re going to have a good starting point after selling your explorer for a profit. I got sick and tired of playing the AD games and waiting for a hopeless call I’d likely never get, got the watch I wanted and couldn’t be happier. As high as the premium may be on the Pepsi right now I wouldn’t be surprised to see it go north of 20k once again in 2020.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 03:36 AM   #7
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Do what makes you happy. The wait for a black sub shouldn't be that bad.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 03:45 AM   #8
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

I would trade it and I did trade my Explorer I early last year. Did end up losing money, but was happy with what I end up buying later on.

If it is an older model and is out of Rolex warranty, and you don’t intent to sell anytime soon, I don’t think box and papers matter that much. When it is time for service, send it to RSC and you will get 2 year warranty from Rolex from the date of service. To me, that is worth more than any box or paper. It confirm the authenticity and establishes the ownership to you as per the service record.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 05:40 AM   #9
prk154
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the help.

I think the logical plan is to hold onto my Explorer until I get a call from an AD. Basically, only pay retail for the trade up.

I've also been tracking a few SD4ks for sale here and notice that they're not selling very quickly...wondering if the market is softening on them. Most likely the prices are just too high.
Old 3 January 2020, 06:21 PM   #10
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by prk154 View Post
Hello all,

I've been trying to trade up my Mk1 Explorer for a while now and I'm suffering with the same frustrations that I'm sure most of you are.

My name is on the "list" at many local Ads with no hope in sight, but it pains me to pay so much over retail for a "common" black sub or GMT from a gray.

I've been offered more than what I paid for my Explorer and now I'm wondering if I should apply the funds and buy a sub or GMT from a reputable gray or wait for "the call?"

Last thought, I've always loved the SD4k and I've come across one on a gray sight with no box or papers and about 1.5k under what they've been typically going for. Do I pay up for it with the thought that 1.) I'm getting the watch I've always wanted and 2.) It most likely won't lose value?

Thanks in advance!
Without spend history it could be a long wait for you, if ever at all on a steel GMT or Sub.
You really need to become a repeat customer, so if the AD sells jewellery and other watches and “bits”, starting to spend wouldn’t be a bad thing (if you’re against the grey market)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 07:47 PM   #11
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Get the box and papers. If you even have a 1 percent chance of selling it in the future I would recommend it a large number if buyers will not even consider buying it without proper paperwork. Any modern Rolex should have them. If you are going to keep it then none of the above matters. You will get a card back when you service it and can always source a box but even thats not good enough for most people spending 10k plus on a watch. I know its silly to want a warranty card thats most likely expired but people pay for a watches provenance. Vintage is a different story. Good luck
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:06 AM   #12
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

You will regret selling your Explorer so my advice to you would be to keep it and save up for the Sub or GMT, good luck.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 02:27 AM   #13
Kestrel
"TRF" Member

Do what you want, but that explorer is a great watch. I don’t see it as trading up per se. in many cases the simple, well made, well balanced watch is the best, even if it is not the most complicated or expensive.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 04:05 AM   #14
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Get the box and papers. If you even have a 1 percent chance of selling it in the future I would recommend it a large number if buyers will not even consider buying it without proper paperwork. Any modern Rolex should have them. If you are going to keep it then none of the above matters. You will get a card back when you service it and can always source a box but even thats not good enough for most people spending 10k plus on a watch. I know its silly to want a warranty card thats most likely expired but people pay for a watches provenance. Vintage is a different story. Good luck
This is good advice. If the SD4K is with owning, it's worth owning the full set.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 07:00 AM   #15
Bob_Loblaw
"TRF" Member

Short hands

Quote:
I've been trying to trade up my Mk1 Explorer...
I've been offered more than what I paid for my Explorer..."
The short hands on the MK1 make that a unique watch. People will pay a premium for that in the future, as well as in the present. I don't presume to know your financial position nor to suggest what you should do. If I were in your position, I would put the MK1 in a safe and seek other sources for purchasing another watch.
Bob_Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 07:04 AM   #16
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Maybe paying grey for a Sub,which will give you a lifetime of service. isn't a bad idea .Small fee when spread over decades.You also make a profit on the Explorer ....
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 07:38 AM   #17
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraftman View Post

Agree. No way I would even remotely consider selling any SS model.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 08:11 AM   #18
Wood&Leather
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircraftman View Post

This. It’s the last real tool watch Rolex makes. And it’s just really freakin cool
Wood&Leather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 12:28 PM   #19
Rhone1

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Do not get rid of the Explorer! As someone earlier said, just save up for the next one.

I am still kicking myself for letting a bunch of great pieces go that I can now not find.

Seriously, keep the Explorer!
Rhone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2020, 11:11 PM   #20
JDR888
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 214270
Keep the Explorer. You'll regret selling it.

Apologies but I fail to see how selling your Explorer is 'trading up' other than from a monetary value perspective, especially if you're looking to move into a Sub/GMT?? Granted you get an improved movement if you pick up a GMT or improved depth rating with the Sub but these would be marginal to me at least.

I have a 214270 & 114060 and I certainly don't view the 214270 as a lesser watch to my 114060. I'll happily acknowledge is that they're different watches, offering different functionality but to my eyes neither one is better than the other. They simply offer something different......

I'll concede that the 214270 tends to get more wrist time because it's suitable for more scenario's in my daily life i.e. formal work-based environment of shirts/suits etc. but I certainly couldn't sell one over the other because I would miss both equally.

You may find yourself feeling the same if you let the Explorer go.........

Current stable: 214270, 126234, 126710BLRO & Pelagos 39mm
JDR888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 12:18 AM   #21
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Only you will know what the best thing to do is. FWIW I owned a Sub, GMT2, DJ41, 42mm Polar Exp, etc... Sold them all and bought a 214270 Mk 1 - and I’m sooooo happy with it, it’s everything I need and like - understated and refined, a real GADA piece. I actually enjoy that the non-lumed numerals make it a little more unique and the smaller hands aren’t really noticeable to me...but you already know that stuff as a fellow owner.

I wouldn’t call it “trading up” though - a Rolex is a Rolex, you get the same insanely rigorous QC, aesthetic beauty, and bulletproof movement as with anything they make...unlike say Fender guitars who make the American models, then the Jap models, Mexican models, then the Squire series...craftsmanship and quality ain’t the same AT ALL...I digress.

Go ahead and scratch the itch by trading in if that’s what your heart tells ya - I had to satisfy that curiosity a bunch of times before eventually coming full circle back to being a one-watch guy, so I totally get it. IMO though, the Exp is gonna be hard to replace.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2020, 12:30 AM   #22
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Have you considered an Expl. II?

It’s a natural progression for an Explorer owner methinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2020, 02:02 AM   #23
prk154
"TRF" Member

Man, a lot more love for the Mk1 Explorer than I expected. I really do like my explorer for the reasons you all have already discussed, especially how understated it is. I really do think that it could be someone's only watch.

However, I find myself missing the date function and I really dislike how the bezel is a scratch magnet. That is why I'm leaning towards a ceramic bezel/date model.

Lastly, and I know I'm going to be ripped for this, but the fact that it is the seemingly less desirable "T-Rex" version does somewhat bother me. I'm basing the less desirable comment on the re-sale value compared to the Mk2 and the majority of the comments I've seen on the forum (obviously besides this thread haha).
Old 7 January 2020, 05:27 AM   #24
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Man, a lot more love for the Mk1 Explorer than I expected. I really do like my explorer for the reasons you all have already discussed, especially how understated it is. I really do think that it could be someone's only watch.

However, I find myself missing the date function and I really dislike how the bezel is a scratch magnet. That is why I'm leaning towards a ceramic bezel/date model.

Lastly, and I know I'm going to be ripped for this, but the fact that it is the seemingly less desirable "T-Rex" version does somewhat bother me. I'm basing the less desirable comment on the re-sale value compared to the Mk2 and the majority of the comments I've seen on the forum (obviously besides this thread haha).

If you’re a one-watch guy, just go ahead and do the trade/cash in and get the Sub - as with any SS sport model, if you find you made a mistake you’ll likely only lose a couple hundred bucks re-acquiring another Exp...if you did that, maybe you’ll spring for a Mk2 dial. If you really like the date function...then there ya go. Your money, your decision sir.

I actually like the idea that the hands are too small on the T-Rex, it gives it character and makes it a little “strange” for a modern Rolex at least...maybe it suits my personality ha. I won’t deny that there is a reason the Mk2 pieces are more expensive - but again, the Mk1 just sings to me personally...resale value wouldn’t matter between these two though, in other words you can pick up a Mk1 for around 5k, a Mk2 for around 6-6.5k...and sell them back for that same amount right?
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
214270 , explorer , sd4000 , sd4k