The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Rolex Offer The Day-Date In Stainless Steel?
Yes, great idea! 281 59.66%
No, stupid idea!! 157 33.33%
I could care less!!! 33 7.01%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 January 2018, 04:30 PM   #121
osamu
"TRF" Member

I hope they don't, and like the distinction between the DJ and DD.

That being said, given my budget, I'd be more likely to buy one in SS than in PM. Would feel bad for all the WG DD owners, but I guess the WG SkyDweller owners already had to deal with it.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2018, 06:28 PM   #122
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Id buy one in a heart beat if it came on an oyster braclet or leather as ive never liked the president look
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 11:04 AM   #123
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
It's my pleasure. I could go on all day about steel Date+Days.

Here are a few threads from Adam and others: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=485333

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=525591

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=455045
Stock seems to be running low in HK, so I just caved and bought a black to go with the silver dial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Black DD.JPG (249.5 KB, 160 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 11:14 AM   #124
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Stock seems to be running low in HK, so I just caved and bought a black to go with the silver dial
Ha!! Congrats on your second! I'm lucky that I don't live in a place where they're available.

I kind of can't believe more people aren't buying these up. AFAIK, it's the longest running Tudor/Rolex reference, and people would be going nuts if something like a 79190 was still available new.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 11:20 AM   #125
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Maybe that’s the answer....Tudor to release the steel Prince Date Day over here in the European market once again.

I’d pick one up in a heartbeat.

Very nice addition Adam.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 12:06 PM   #126
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Ha!! Congrats on your second! I'm lucky that I don't live in a place where they're available.

I kind of can't believe more people aren't buying these up. AFAIK, it's the longest running Tudor/Rolex reference, and people would be going nuts if something like a 79190 was still available new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Maybe that’s the answer....Tudor to release the steel Prince Date Day over here in the European market once again.

I’d pick one up in a heartbeat.

Very nice addition Adam.
Thanks

I get a lot of PMs asking how and where to buy these.
Old 4 January 2018, 12:41 PM   #127
wildcat465
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118206
What's next? A Rolls Royce with cloth seats and a four cylinder engine? I get that there are folks out there who want but may never own a DD because of its price....that's too damn bad. . .just like I want a Rolls Wraith, but I will never own one...I didn't work hard enough and I'm okay with that...

For some, myself included, owning a DD especially in Pt represents an achievement....its weight reminds me of the hard work that it took earn the money to purchase. It's my reward for great sacrifice.
wildcat465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 12:53 PM   #128
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Def...if it had President bracelet
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 12:58 PM   #129
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat465 View Post
What's next? A Rolls Royce with cloth seats and a four cylinder engine? I get that there are folks out there who want but may never own a DD because of its price....that's too damn bad. . .just like I want a Rolls Wraith, but I will never own one...I didn't work hard enough and I'm okay with that...

For some, myself included, owning a DD especially in Pt represents an achievement....its weight reminds me of the hard work that it took earn the money to purchase. It's my reward for great sacrifice.
Rolex watches don't represent achievements to me. They're simply well built watches meant to last a lifetime.

It has little to do with price. While I could go out and buy a DayDate tomorrow for the day complication, I have no desire to wear a heavy gold watch every day. If I was forced to pick one to wear forever, I wouldn't trade my Tudor Date+Day for a gold DayDate, but I might trade for a steel Rolex DayDate.
Old 4 January 2018, 01:05 PM   #130
GMT Aviator

Quote:

It’s not about the cost, prestige or bragging rights, or trying to get something for less money to pass it off as something else, for me it’s about the day register.

It’s a hugely convenient addition to the dial which I miss when I’m not wearing a Seiko.

Rolex make incredibly robust, durable mechanical watches which we all enjoy here. I don’t necessarily want my daily watches made from PM and I just wish Rolex would offer this relatively simple complication in something less ostentatious.

Offering it in steel or TT like they do the DJ I can’t see would do any harm to those who still want to spend the extra dollar on PM with president style bracelet and neither do I think Rolex would be taking anything away from those owners who worked hard for their luxury items, myself included, by doing so.
Old 4 January 2018, 01:17 PM   #131
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Personally I would not. The Day-Date to me has always been the flagship Rolex and making it in stainless steel would take away the allure of its elegance IMO. Just my 2 cents

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 01:25 PM   #132
wildcat465
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s not about the cost, prestige or bragging rights, or trying to get something for less money to pass it off as something else, for me it’s about the day register.

It’s a hugely convenient addition to the dial which I miss when I’m not wearing a Seiko.

Rolex make incredibly robust, durable mechanical watches which we all enjoy here. I don’t necessarily want my daily watches made from PM and I just wish Rolex would offer this relatively simple complication in something less ostentatious.

Offering it in steel or TT like they do the DJ I can’t see would do any harm to those who still want to spend the extra dollar on PM with president style bracelet and neither do I think Rolex would be taking anything away from those owners who worked hard for their luxury items, myself included, by doing so.
I'm only suggesting that a DD comes only in PM. It's place in the pecking order would plummet. Rolex will never produce a regular production SS DD. Just like a Rolls will never a four cylinder and vinyl seats Because it will damage the brand. There are plenty of other robust, reliable watches capable of supplying the day and date without having to diminish the DD by making it in SS.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 4 January 2018, 01:44 PM   #133
GMT Aviator

Quote:
I'm only suggesting that a DD comes only in PM. It's place in the pecking order would plummet. Rolex will never produce a regular production SS DD. Just like a Rolls will never a four cylinder and vinyl seats Because it will damage the brand. There are plenty of other robust, reliable watches capable of supplying the day and date without having to diminish the DD by making it in SS.

Yes, I see your point and respect your view, although it didn’t sway Rolex from fitting vinyl seats to the Skydweller.
For me, as a daily, I’d love the complication in something like a steel cased WG Fluted bezel DJ on say an oyster bracelet. That would be a perfect daily for me and I wouldn’t be so worried about having it on my wrist with some of the places I travel as I would for instance if I were wearing a pink or yellow gold DD.
The PM DD’s are the ultimate Rolex and it should stay that way, but come on Rolex, if you’re reading this, offer us a day register somewhere else in the line up. Pretty please.
Old 4 January 2018, 02:04 PM   #134
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think it would help the image of the brand, which has gotten away from its more practical tool roots, especially with all the nonsense PM sport models.

The irony is that, in 1973, the 18kt DayDate was $1850 US, which translates to about $11,000 in today’s money...and that is right in line with the price I said a new steel DayDate should sell for.
Old 4 January 2018, 02:15 PM   #135
GMT Aviator

Quote:
I think it would help the image of the brand, which has gotten away from its more practical tool roots, especially with all the nonsense PM sport models.

The irony is that, in 1973, the 18kt DayDate was $1850 US, which translates to about $11,000 in today’s money...and that is right in line with the price I said a new steel DayDate should sell for.
I’m recommending you for seat on the board at Rolex.

Old 4 January 2018, 02:20 PM   #136
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I haven't voted because I don't like the second and third choices.

I don't think that it should be made in SS; some references should remain PM and that's one of them. However, my disagreement doesn't make it a stupid idea. It's actually not a bad idea at all but I can't imagine Rolex making it.

As for your third point, the phrase you're looking for is 'couldn't care less'. If you say that you could care less, it means that you must care a little bit by definition given that you are capable of caring less than you presently do.

No, I wouldn't buy one.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 03:25 PM   #137
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks, but I'd probably run the company into the ground.
Old 4 January 2018, 03:55 PM   #138
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Daydate should be in precious metal. Don't think Rolex will release one. They will be slapping themselves in the face after all the marketing done on Daydate.
Old 4 January 2018, 04:07 PM   #139
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Daydate should be in precious metal. Don't think Rolex will release one. They will be slapping themselves in the face after all the marketing done on Daydate.
I don't know, back when the price was more reasonable, some used to call it "immensely practical."

Old 4 January 2018, 05:49 PM   #140
BreezyMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DJ 1603
Quote:
I don't know, back when the price was more reasonable, some used to call it "immensely practical."

I love these old ads! Oil fires in a day date that’s bossed up!
BreezyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2018, 08:40 PM   #141
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:

I concur!!!
Old 4 January 2018, 11:59 PM   #142
Jimbogigolo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona W&B
I would buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Jimbogigolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 12:25 AM   #143
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
A SS Day Date = a participation trophy.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 07:17 AM   #144
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaMike View Post
Quite frankly, why bother putting a day on a watch, any watch? I understand the worth of having the current date on a watch but if you have to look at your watch to see what day it is... Ouch! :-(
Outside of being able to quickly check to make sure your memory is correct, it's really nice for traveling.
Old 5 January 2018, 09:21 AM   #145
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Outside of being able to quickly check to make sure your memory is correct, it's really nice for traveling.
x2. And having a job with recurring weekly deadlines, I find myself checking the day more often than the date. The day of the week is generally more relevant to me than the date, so very useful to have on a watch.
Old 5 January 2018, 09:48 AM   #146
wildcat465
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
x2. And having a job with recurring weekly deadlines, I find myself checking the day more often than the date. The day of the week is generally more relevant to me than the date, so very useful to have on a watch.
x3...and the day function is certainly more useful than having a diving watch that will never go deeper than a swimming pool.
Old 5 January 2018, 10:12 AM   #147
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
x3...and the day function is certainly more useful than having a diving watch that will never go deeper than a swimming pool.
Agreed, although I must admit that I did use the timing bezel on my Sub for some things during the day, like parking meters. More than Rolex making a steel DayDate, I wish Tudor reissued the 7020/0, although it was a little bigger than I'd want. It really had it all.

*not my pic:
Old 5 January 2018, 11:04 AM   #148
GMT Aviator

Tudor 7020/0?

Who knew? Love the little gems this forum throws up from time to time.
Old 8 January 2018, 01:59 AM   #149
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Ok. With over 400 votes, the yes beats no almost 2 to one.

However, many of the no votes appear to be from those who buy PM and would break with the brand over a SS.

So, it looks like a toss up for Rolex Marketing. At lease that is what they told me, after the cease and desist letter they sent.
Old 8 January 2018, 04:23 AM   #150
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Ok. With over 400 votes, the yes beats no almost 2 to one.

However, many of the no votes appear to be from those who buy PM and would break with the brand over a SS.

So, it looks like a toss up for Rolex Marketing. At lease that is what they told me, after the cease and desist letter they sent.
I think many of us would like one, but the question is how to make it viable to coexist with the PMs, maybe on a strap would be an option, but then it would lose half of its audience.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote