The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2018, 04:18 AM   #61
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I would ask the recipient why they sold it. No need to be upset over a decision that could have been completely justified by a certain individual circumstance ie they needed the money more than the luxury watch.. I do believe, once a gift is given, the recipient has the right to do as they wish, but me personally, as a courtesy to the giver, would either refuse the gift or let them know my intentions.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:28 AM   #62
run23
"TRF" Member

gift gone wrong

Agree the answer is ‘totally depends’: relationship to the person/meaningfulness of gift in context; income level of recipient etc.

I mean, if you think expensive watches are a waste, and $x thousand means a lot to you, then I can see the temptation to sell

Like I can imagine if someone gave me a horrendous (to me) figurine sculpture as a wedding gift (they happened to dig gaudy art pieces) that I could sell for $10,000, and $10,000 meant a lot to me ... I can see the temptation. But if my grandmother gave it to me with tears of pride in her eyes on my wedding day, I’d do all I could to keep it I guess.

In other words, what would you do if someone gave you what you thought was an ostentatious piece of jewelry that you could get a lot of money for. Answer is ‘it depends’
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:01 AM   #63
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Plans are for my DJ to be gifted to my daughter upon her College graduation or golden birthday. I’ve stressed if she’d rather opt for something else of comparable value/meaning that is her choice. We both agree, the gift is not the actual item one receives; rather the gift is in being valued.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:08 AM   #64
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
An interesting perspective as I've always questioned 'The Golden Rule' myself. While it sounds OK in principle, "doing unto others as you would like for them to do unto you" is unsound in many instances.

For example. Just because you enjoy eating liver, do you serve it to dinner guests who despise it? Or if you happen to be a masochist, do you take it out on others in a sadistic manner?

In many ways, The Golden Rule can screw-up the universe (or mankind in general).
I think you need to revisit Sunday school and learn a little more about the golden rule.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 05:43 AM   #65
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
It’s a gift. Once given, it’s no longer your concern.
Many years ago my brother gave me his old car. Nothing too fancy, but in good shape and worth ~$3k as a trade at the time. It was a generous gift. Keep in mind that $3k was worth more 25 years ago as well. After a couple of years working, before starting medical school, I sold it and bought a newer more reliable car with less mileage. One I hoped would last my 4 years of school without problems. It did, and was a good decision. No tears were shed, no angry glances cast. Somewhat different as I used it for 2 years, but it was still a functioning gift that I sold away without a second thought. Is a watch really any different
I’ve bought my wife jewelry hat she exchanged, Ive bought her jewelry she rarely wears, Ive gifted her jewelry that she returned. If she said she wanted to scrap the whole lot for a monster right hand ring, who cares? It’s her stuff. Whatever makes her happy.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:34 AM   #66
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I would never give them anything else. Unless they literally had to to put food on the table, they’d be done. Same reason I get ticked at half the clowns on Pawn Stars......”I just sold the Rolex my grandpa wore his entire life and I coveted as a child for 4500.....I think we’ll take the money, have a nice dinner and let it all ride at the craps table”. Asshats!
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 06:48 AM   #67
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
A gift is a selfless donation to another. If you feel angst about the fate of the gift it was not really a gift. It was more an investment in a relationship, from which you expect a continuing return of gratitude expressed as possession of the gift.

A true gift is gone from the mind of the giver once delivered. If the watch was really a gift, why do you care what has become of it?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:11 PM   #68
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Whilst I think I'd be a bit miffed, once it's given it's gone. That's the whole point of a gift.

I think the 'Golden Rule' here is to 'know your audience'; you wouldn't buy a steak for a vegetarian so it would seem to me to be prudent to do a little research and find out what appeals to your intended recipient.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 12:23 PM   #69
yhzdude

what is sold at the right price?
was it an employee?
ex wife? date ? girlfriend? friend...it all depends...that is a generous gift..
if the person respected you a little bit..they would not sell it. My take on it..especially something expensive.
If they needed cash etc..1 st the should not accept the gift, if the only intention was to resale.
Sucks in my opinion.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 01:22 PM   #70
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
On my infinite and beyond shit list, nothing ever, ever again. Maybe an annual card that says "you're an a...hole"
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 03:32 PM   #71
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Just out of curiosity. (1) Was the recipient a male or female? (2) What was the nature and/or occasion of gift (e.g. birthday, Christmas, retirement, friendship, engagement etc.)? (3) Your 'connection' to the person receiving the gift watch? (4) And lastly, your perceived strength and/or deepness of that connection?

Maybe the answers (or a plausible explanation) can be found within these parameters.
There are always going to be what if scenarios in every aspect of every situation given. When a specific question is asked, it becomes more relevant your answer as to why the gift was sold. This is a very vague question, on how would you feel if this were you. Answer anyway you wish..
Egelber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 04:46 PM   #72
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
If there wasn't any sentimental value attached to that Rolex it wouldn't be a big deal if the person that received the Rolex cashed it in.
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2018, 07:07 PM   #73
arika
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livermoron View Post
That would probably be the last gift i ever gave that person. i have been gifted some very nice items over the years and aside from sentimental value and insulting the giver, i'd have to be on the verge of bankruptcy to consider selling them.

This. I would never sell a gift due to sentimental and relationship value; and hope no situation would arise that would force me otherwise. I have a box full of broken gifts that I can no longer use, but can’t bring myself to throw away. But then again, once I give something it is no longer my and I don’t really have a say in it. Still would hurt nevertheless.
arika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:34 AM   #74
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
A gift is a selfless donation to another. If you feel angst about the fate of the gift it was not really a gift. It was more an investment in a relationship, from which you expect a continuing return of gratitude expressed as possession of the gift.

A true gift is gone from the mind of the giver once delivered. If the watch was really a gift, why do you care what has become of it?
^^^ This

I get tons of stuff at Christmas time that I have no use for. I keep it for a year in case the giver wonders if I'm using it, then goes to Goodwill for a nice tax deduction.

My garage would be filled top to bottom if I kept all the crap that comes into my life!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 02:51 AM   #75
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egelber View Post
Hey all, not sure if the title is correct, but my meaning behind it is this. How would you feel if you bought a Rolex as a gift to someone, and they sold it?....
I think before gifting someone something of high value, you need to make sure that's something she/he really wants (unless it is a watch passed down from a relative). Personally, if someone gave me a Rolex that I don't care for, I would at least keep it for awhile, make sure I really don't like it and don't wear it, then maybe I would consider selling it.

Tech gift is a different story... My in laws gave me a GoPro Black camera, which I really have no use for. It has been sitting in the drawer for 6 months! My wife would not let me sell it! and it is just going down in value everyday... soon it will be a piece of junk.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:21 AM   #76
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I agree with most of the others here...It depends.
Old 16 January 2018, 03:30 AM   #77
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
First off - you don't just gift a Rolex to any Tom, Dick or Harry
I hope you know the giftee well enough to determine if A). They even like watches, B). The Rolex you give them is a model they will actually wear and C). Their current financial situation.

If they don't like watches and you gave them one anyway, what do expect?
If someone gave me a Yachtmaster II, I'd sell or flip it instantly because I'd never wear it. I'd hope you have the smarts to inquire first. And if I'm financially strapped and you gave me a watch worth thousands, sorry but I needed the money more than the watch anyway and I'm selling it.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:32 AM   #78
Jedi5
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMachV View Post
To me, it doesn’t matter about the backstory or the circumstances. If I gave a gift to someone, It’s not about me at all. They can do whatever they’d like with it and no hard feelings here.
This is where I am also.

Even if there was a backstory to this story, for some, the reasoning still wouldn't be good enough.

You can't give a gift to someone with strings or expectations attached.

Live and learn.
Jedi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 04:37 AM   #79
GBD
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't matter to me at all. A gift is supposed to make the recipient happy, not the the giver. If it turned out the gift wasn't a good fit for the recipient, I would rather they do what suits them best - what makes them happiest, even if that meant selling it.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote