The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 14 December 2020, 06:08 AM   #31
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
What a total stunner! Thanks for sharing OP, enjoy it, well deserved no doubt!
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 06:23 AM   #32
Oldfellow
2024 Pledge Member

Great watch, and excellent review and photos.
Best post here for a while. Congratulations.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 07:02 AM   #33
climblaw25
"TRF" Member

Watch: too much Netflix
Dude -- you are making want one of these REALLY bad. Great write up. Congrats, and enjoy!!!
climblaw25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 07:42 AM   #34
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

As a sailor this watch was always something I wanted for the movement, but I can’t wear it with my chicken wrists. I always wondered if the case size was strictly due to the movement or more about legibility. Perhaps yo would know?
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:13 AM   #35
PNBLWZD
"TRF" Member

Great pics and write up! I too had this watch on my wishlist for a long time and kept putting it off. After watching gray prices keep going up I finally got one a few months ago and really like it also. I agree; Super comfortable and looks great, like a super sized Daytona.
PNBLWZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:14 AM   #36
drrd
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this.

Very nice write up and great pictures.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:23 AM   #37
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Congrats !!! great pics and review
This. Amazing
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:24 AM   #38
Doood
"TRF" Member

This is a great reference. Love the case silhouette. Do you like the new hands? I regret not getting one before they made the change, but was just not ready yet to confidently pull this off and am still not, but maybe in 10 years. This is an unapologetic watch, for sure, maybe even more so than the TT sea dweller. Congratulations and great pics as always. Do you miss your hulk?
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:30 AM   #39
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
fantastic pick up, it’s an awesome watch if you have a place for it in your collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:45 AM   #40
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
This is a watch I love and have had my eye on for a few years. Love the way it looks and feels on the wrist. Have not been able to pull the trigger on one yet but soon..very soon.
forgedblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:58 AM   #41
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
As a sailor this watch was always something I wanted for the movement, but I can’t wear it with my chicken wrists. I always wondered if the case size was strictly due to the movement or more about legibility. Perhaps yo would know?

Size feels natural with the dual dial set up and I am sure the Rolex targeted in on the 44mm size as optimal to fit the sub second dial and countdown dial. I can really read the exact time with the white dial and the hash marks between the lume markers. Super crisp and the fine point of the minute hand is very precise.
The dial is really very beautiful and symmetrical. The watch doesn’t feel large compared to a 44mm Panerai or large AP ROOC. To me it feels like a well balanced 42mm watch on my wrist.

To answer another question regarding the new 10th anniversary dial and hands: I initially tried on the YMII back when it had the thinner blue metallic hands. The blue hands contrasted more but I much prefer the white gold markers and the larger 12 and 6 o’clock markers. It sets the dial up better and in total darkness, both the larger hands and markers really glow more and is easier to orientate the time at a quick glance. The lume is surprisingly good. FYI: the countdown red triangle is NOT lumed and was very wise of Rolex to do this as it would clutter the the dial under low light conditions and make it very hard to tell what hand is what.

This is more of a personal style preference but the watch being more monochromatic is cleaner looking to my eyes without the blue hands. Everything is a trade off.

As a historical info to this movement. The 4161 is the second generation of this movement. When initially introduced only in yellow or white gold back in 2007, it had the caliber 4160. They had some initial issues with some lag time between button push and start of the timer. Rolex revised the movement when they introduced the YM2 in all SS. That movement was upgraded with several key benefits like more shock proof, instant activation of the timer, etc.. Rolex stepped up to fine tune a very complex movement to really perfect it to the caliber 4161. The Sky Dweller benefited from this 2nd gen YMII movement upgrade.

My current accuracy test are yielding a +1 second a day in any position I have rested it over night. Seems to keep perfect time on the wrist so I am smiling. I have yet to do a power reserve test because I don’t want to take it off my wrist to do the test yet.

“ Rolex says they spend over 35,000 to develop the in-house caliber 4161. It is comprised of over 360 parts. Out of those parts, Rolex says “some of them are made by UV-LiGA, a micromanufacturing technology entirely mastered in-house by Rolex. This technology allows the production of components whose tiny proportions or complex geometry rule out manufacturing by traditional machining methods.”

The caliber 4161 is equipped with Rolex’s own Parachrom hairspring. It is made from a niobium and zirconium alloy, resulting in a hairspring that is anti-magnetic and up to 10 time more resistant to shocks than traditional hairsprings. Rolex marketing brochures claim the 4161 has an accuracy of -2/+2 seconds per day. For this reason, they feel their watches surpass the requirements of a COSC certification, so in 2015 they made their own Superlative Chronometer certification which is issued once the movement has been cased. MSRP $18,750 usd”.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:58 AM   #42
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Congrats! Excellent review, thank you for the effort. As always, your pictures delight. Enjoy the new timepiece!
Old 14 December 2020, 10:10 AM   #43
redhead4rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Those are some great shots! Congratulations!
redhead4rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 10:17 AM   #44
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I want to thank my forum brothers for all your kind words. It doesn’t get said enough that the members and their enthusiast participation is what makes TRF what it is.

The photography was done with a Samsung Note 20 Ultra. Some watches can be difficult to get a decent pic but the YMII is a super model and has enough contrast and colors to showcase a real world look. I will have more pics to come with snow on its way here in the North East.
Old 14 December 2020, 10:28 AM   #45
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Beautiful!
I have to be honest, I always loved the YMII. Never got to buy one as I had other watches that came on the way
I love your pics snd you really got me now thinking I need to add one to the collection!
Enjoy in great health!
Old 14 December 2020, 10:34 AM   #46
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
An excellent review of a watch that was never on my radar. I had always thought it to be a little busy or even ostentatious, but your review allowed me a second glance and more of an understanding of the watch. As others have said, your photos are top notch. I have a lot more respect and a bit more interest in a watch that previously had not garnered muc attention from me.
Old 14 December 2020, 10:37 AM   #47
Goin2drt
Banned

Thanks for sharing and congrats. I also love this watch and never understood why it does not get more love. It is amazing and so beautiful looking.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 11:40 AM   #48
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Awesome. Have a soft spot for this reference. Congrats!
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 12:39 PM   #49
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

We were not going on vacation this winter so it was a good time to make a purchase I have been thinking about for a long time now.
Old 14 December 2020, 12:42 PM   #50
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Double.
Old 14 December 2020, 01:00 PM   #51
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for this review! I love this complication, I’ve never considered the YM2 because it’s just too big for me to wear comfortably, but if it looks just right for you!
1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 01:13 PM   #52
Ksporty
"TRF" Member

Great reference and great review. It’s not for everyone, but I love it.
Ksporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 01:15 PM   #53
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Epic review. Thanks!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 01:37 PM   #54
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Mystro, do you perhaps know if there is any other difference than the hands between the first and second generation YMII ?
Old 14 December 2020, 01:41 PM   #55
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Cheers! Great review and congrats!
Old 14 December 2020, 02:49 PM   #56
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Great review always such an enjoyable read. Always liked that reference and as always with your reviews have got me seriously considering it again. Your pictures as always are second to none. Big congrats and Happy Holidays to you and yours.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 04:15 PM   #57
DomM
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG Daytona,GMT,SUB
I also own the same YM 2. I have several Rolex watches including Daytona, gmt2, sub. The YM2is my favorite watch of them all for many of the same reasons you mention. The fact it is less common and not liked by many just adds to its desire for me.
DomM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 04:21 PM   #58
scombs263
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Great post. Even better pictures. Well done.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 08:15 PM   #59
18078pres
"TRF" Member

I like the reference, but the name on the bezel is it's achilles heel
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2020, 09:08 PM   #60
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
Thankyou for such a wonderful post
tudk is offline   Reply With Quote