The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 October 2021, 12:07 PM   #31
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
It’s a real problem and with social media, more people than ever recognize more than Rolexes. It definitely depends on where you are, but I’ve found it fun to explore some of the lower cost watches that you can wear without any worry. My Tissot PRX isn’t the same as my AP Royal Oak Chronograph, but I really like it for what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 05:11 PM   #32
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I can't say I really worry about it when wearing a watch, but I wear a Sub ND, and it's a pretty below the radar sort of watch as far as Rolex goes IMO. I doubt anyone notices it other than the occasional watch enthusiast.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 11:48 PM   #33
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Nobody has ever noticed my OP; my Sub LVc is another story. Younger guys have commented, making me feel uncomfortable since I’m probably old enough to be their mother’s. Haha! Cooler weather along w/long sleeves is a welcome thing for me during these hyped times. Sad to admit!

JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2021, 11:55 PM   #34
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I'm always curious about first posters. Joined in April.

Hmmmm.
Old 20 October 2021, 01:01 AM   #35
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Just don't wear anything more expensive than Omega or Tudor in Caracas, Beirut or London
Being a Londoner I wear my black Sub date up town with no problem, but I do not nightclub or hang about late at night in dodgy areas.
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 01:12 AM   #36
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
Being a Londoner I wear my black Sub date up town with no problem, but I do not nightclub or hang about late at night in dodgy areas.
I think the issue is that many of these incidents are taking place in not so dodgy areas in broad daylight. I know in LA there has been a huge uptick of midday armed robberies around Melrose which is by no means a sketchy area. Not trying to feed the sensationalism but it definitely feels different than it did pre-Covid and crime stats would agree with that “feeling”.
Old 20 October 2021, 02:06 AM   #37
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

3 years ago, the manager of our hotel in Portugal, was having a smoke 'out the back' and was robbed at gunpoint for his watch.........an Invicta.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2021, 04:27 AM   #38
Helseth
"TRF" Member

I wear my watch while I'm at work, if I'm meeting a friend/my fiance either at their place or outside. Would not wear it while leaving the country though.
Helseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 12:28 PM   #39
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
There are only a few places I won't wear the nice ones.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 02:56 PM   #40
maylebox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
This luxury watches craziness make this situation and yes it’s a reality
In 2019 in Barcelona was many cases with people who are rubbed for watches

I would think there are a quite a few Rolex owners who bought their watch in the hopes it would actually help them get "rubbed" :)

But seriously, I have a bunch of other great watches that don't draw attention or have recognizably expensive brand names and I'm happy to wear them on my trip to Barcelona, etc. One less thing to worry about during my travels.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 09:33 PM   #41
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I'm always curious about first posters. Joined in April.

Hmmmm.
And then starts an "Is it Safe" thread to boot.....

So, you get rubbed, you have insurance and they pay out the loss. OK now lets see you replace your Rolex......
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 11:31 PM   #42
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I never gave it much thought unless I was traveling someplace I didn’t know well that I thought it might be an unnecessary risk. Then it happened to someone I know, in my city, in my neighborhood. Then another. Then a third. It’s a legitimate concern in some places and I find myself wearing my Apple Watch as much ore more than my nice pieces, and Tudors more often than Rolex’s. I’d never wear my Daytona to a high profile restaurant and valet one of my sports cars. It’s just not worth it, and I’m well past the point in my life when I care what other people think about what I own.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 01:50 AM   #43
JTL31

To add to my previous comment… Yes, watches are insured, a thief is welcome to have them. As a 5’2” old(er) woman I just don’t want to get threatened or hurt in the process. This crazy hype business drives me crazy…
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 10:25 AM   #44
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
3 years ago, the manager of our hotel in Portugal, was having a smoke 'out the back' and was robbed at gunpoint for his watch.........an Invicta.
They did him a favor taking that cruise ship special watch.

Just kidding. Glad he was ok and not harmed.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 11:05 AM   #45
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
No one knows your locale better than you, so it is up to you to determine if where you are going is safe enough to wear your valuables.

If you are new to wearing high-end watches, you may feel self-conscious and feel that everyone is looking at your wrist. That is not the case with others and if you feel that way, it will subside with time.

I own a lot of watches across a large price range, mainly because I like to have a large collection of differently priced watches, but it also affords me the choice of where and when to wear which watch.

Be aware of your surroundings, to be sure, but thinking of where you might be going in advance is also wise and should inform your choice of watches to wear and when.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 09:47 PM   #46
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
OP, poof.....
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 12:01 AM   #47
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

I really don’t give it much thought and very few people even look at your watch. They only see if if you aren’t wearing a long sleeve shirt anyway.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 12:08 AM   #48
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiempo View Post
First , my apologies for my English .

The situation is getting worst everyday with so many people injured and robbed.
Wearing Hi end watches makes a big risk today and finally i start thinking , i have the watches to wear and enjoy using them and not for keeping them in a safe or a box .
Also when traveling , become a big issue and thinking what to do or what to take with me .
Maybe we are getting too much media info?. I don't know but looks and feel real the risk .
I do not travel where I do not feel safe. If I do not feel safe I do not wear watches.

Simple

I wear my watches everywhere I go and have never had any issues
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 06:32 AM   #49
watchbobby
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
This is an issue that has been discussed ad infinitum on this and other forums (Is it safe to travel with my Rolex in .......?). The answers all range, with various justifications or cautions, from yes it is to no it's not.

There is no answer- whatever makes you feel safe, then wear it. Personally, I'd be perfectly happy if going abroad wearing one of my nicer Timex's (yes, they do exist).
watchbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 07:21 AM   #50
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Just don't wear anything more expensive than Omega or Tudor in Caracas, Beirut or London

London is the best city in the world, even has this thing called history.

DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 12:28 PM   #51
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I generally like to wear my steel Rolex wherever I go. Obviously that’s sometimes not the best idea, but I have my watch insured, pay attention to my surroundings, time of day and location and have no problems to stick my watch in my pant pocket. Most importantly I don’t leave my baby in my hotel room. My experience is strictly US and Europe. London and the south of France in the summer and Ibiza seems to be a problem I hear…
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 11:32 AM   #52
Ftech1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622, 126710
Was just in Cabo for a few days with friends. Wore my Tudor BB41. While walking around downtown I saw plenty of people wearing Rolex's. Stopped into the local AD and had a nice chat with someone else in there who was wearing a Sub. Felt safe the whole time.
Ftech1 is offline   Reply With Quote