The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which design do you prefer?
Datejust 46 21.00%
Royal Oak 78 35.62%
Nautilus 95 43.38%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 September 2018, 01:43 AM   #31
PathfinderMP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 Blue 126300
I’ve got to say, I love the Datejust, and like the look of the Royal Oak, but truth be told I’ve always hated the Nautilus. It looks like a 1980s calculator watch to me. To each their own, I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 September 2018, 01:43 AM   #32
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
of which AP owned a share of. Developed for AP among others. Rolex has a habit of buying suppliers too and then calling them in house because they now make them, regardless of how they were developed.

I think you got him there.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:50 AM   #33
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
A movement that is not proper, is of JLC origin.

In reliability I prefer a Rolex 3035/3135 than a 3120 AP/JLC

The G Shocks are quartz and rubber, nothing to see

In my mind Rolex is kind of like Microsoft. For the most part it was never originally their idea, they just bought the best designs they could buy. Then as they got bigger they kept buying all of their original suppliers.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 01:52 AM   #34
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Datejust all the way. I don’t dislike the other two but their design is more fashion than classic and timeless to me. I’m a little shocked at the poll results so far though...
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:57 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
Datejust all the way. I don’t dislike the other two but their design is more fashion than classic and timeless to me. I’m a little shocked at the poll results so far though...
me too. 20% of people would still want a DJ if it was the same price as the other two and you would still get the same finishing and all the same qualities included in that price... simply shocking

im guessing you are shocked the opposite way
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 02:03 AM   #36
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
From a group of people who enjoy and appreciate the finer things or details I'm not.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 02:11 AM   #37
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephist View Post
If you could ever only have one watch and all of these three had the same price
IMO you should have set a price. Say they are all the price of a Nautilus. Who would buy a DJ for 30k... no one

the 20% of people who would still pick a DJ over the other two are probably thinking at 8k and i can have all 3 i prefer the DJ.

No one is debating wether the DJ is great watch, it clearly is. However setting the hypothetical price at the Patek level and the choice becomes clearer.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 September 2018, 02:21 AM   #38
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
IMO you should have set a price. Say they are all the price of a Nautilus. Who would buy a DJ for 30k... no one

the 20% of people who would still pick a DJ over the other two are probably thinking at 8k and i can have all 3 i prefer the DJ.

No one is debating the DJ is not a great watch, it clearly is. However setting the hypothetical price at the Patek level and the choice becomes clearer.

That's one way to do it, but that's just never the case. Heck whether it's luxury or custom, handwork and craftmanship is something you just have to pay more for.

This same debate occurs on many more items than just watches. So what it comes down to is either you can appreciate those finer details and are willing to pay for something that has nothing to do with function. So if you don't get it, then I say your best to choose the cheaper item. That or maybe that less costly item appeals to you more, then even better for you. You achieved happiness and it cost you less.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 September 2018, 07:54 AM   #39
Mephist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Yeah, and at this point I wish more of my brethren would show up and back me up.

This stuff about what do you think I should get and what is the best two watch collection just simply make me sick. If you need help with something it should never be about someone else determining what is best for you. Someone we don't even know. If you want to live my life I'll tell you exactly what you should do. If not ask questions with a bit more insight to the finer details. Do some searches first and check out reviews. Go to an AD in your area and check these things out first hand. But by all means realize the reason they sell all of these various designs is because of choice and some just work better for others.
You have to relax a little. If threads like this makes you sick, as your doctor I would advice you to stay out of them. You got the free will to not click on threads like this, no one is forcing you. However I think you are misinterpreting this thread. I am not asking anyone to determine what is best for me and I sure don't want to live your life

If you read the first lines of my post you would see "Just for my own curiosity, I would like to know what design of these three you prefer?"

That's all. I am not all knowing so hearing other peoples opinion and experience is interesting and educational to me.

As Arnold Edinborough said it "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly."

Most of what I read I have heard before and most does not surprise me, but the poll results and this quote below for example was very interesting to me and something I did not know.

Quote:
JLC of which AP owned a rather large share of. Developed for AP among others. Rolex has a habit of buying suppliers too to vertically integrate and then calling that component in house because they now make them, regardless of how they were developed.

AP makes the movement in house, they own it. Its not an ETA kit they are buying from swatch.

3120 is completely in house... the one with the tie to JLC is the 2121 ultra thin

So to me this thread is interesting and educational and I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their opinion.
Old 19 September 2018, 08:27 AM   #40
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Valid thread, interesting question.

This is a discussion forum and we are all here to discuss and consider each other’s opinions.

On the original question, I have always said that I lack the WIS maturity that i think is needed to like and enjoy Patek. For the longest time it didn’t do anything to me, which serves me fine because I can’t afford it anyway. 🤪

OP is as old and outdated looking to me, kind of like Lamborghini cars of 1980s. Beautiful but from a different era. However, having seen some wrist rolls on instagram and watched some relevant videos here and here, I have become a fan ( I still don’t like the off shore line though, may be that will come in time too. )

From these three, I would go with the classic Datejust for its conventional design. But if I were to consider the price points and public desirability situation of these three, DJ would be my last choice.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 09:24 AM   #41
mmazzini1
"TRF" Member

RO- the first one. And also the one with the best caliber IMO- so an easy win

mmazzini1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 09:41 AM   #42
Hank
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
The Royal Oak superior to the Datejust in movement? on the bracelet? in the crown? I can not disagree more. In all that the Datejust is more robust.

The royal oak movement is not more durable, many have had problems with the crown, which is released and the bracelet is not longer lasting.

In the finishes if the Royal Oak is superior

Rolexes are built like a tank and I consider them to be one of the most reliable brands, hence very robust no doubt. I just feel that the overall design, fit and finish of both AP and PP are more refined than the DJ. I’m simply expressing my views and no offense intended whatsoever. Cheers!

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 09:43 AM   #43
mmazzini1
"TRF" Member

It also depends on the model- a 15202 is another planet vs a DJ but has also a completely different price tag... The 15202 movement is “state of the art”

mmazzini1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 09:53 AM   #44
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Such a price range !!
The 5711 would be my pick but honestly for the fraction of price I went for the DJ
Old 19 September 2018, 10:37 AM   #45
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Michael_Patek_39.jpg
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 10:40 AM   #46
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Michael_Patek_05.jpg
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:15 AM   #47
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

The datejust does little for me. I’d choose the 5711 over the 15202
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:35 AM   #48
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Royal Oak! I would maybe not have said that if I had not seen one and tried it on in person. Gets my vote without a doubt.

Basically, I had the same experience with the Royal Oak. Only recently did I see one in real life, and also started to learn more about it. Especially love the case and the bracelet is definitely one of the nicest and well made money can buy.
Old 19 September 2018, 11:48 AM   #49
0miles
Banned

I would still go with the DJ regardless.
0miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 11:59 AM   #50
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
I don't think you can compare a DJ to the RO or Nautilis. I am not saying though DJ is a bad watch, it is a great watch but is not a comp to the other watches.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 12:21 PM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Jumbo and it’s not even close
Old 19 September 2018, 12:46 PM   #52
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
the AP holds zero appeal to me.

that DJ is stunning imo. love it.

the 5711, meh. I would buy one if I could at retail. but not with todays insanity.
Agree.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:05 PM   #53
Eagle dunes 75
2024 Pledge Member

Royal Oak. Iconic design.
Eagle dunes 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:16 PM   #54
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
The Rolex needs to be a Day Date with a President bracelet to play in this game. I’m biased as an AP owner. Not a fan of the PP bracelet.

I like the 5711 dial better though.

All great watches in their own right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D0DE0ED8-D854-439B-AC44-451E9696A8AF.jpeg (190.0 KB, 129 views)
lig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 02:56 PM   #55
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
I did my homework....

And I could say IMHO.....

No way I would buy a Audemars Piguet Royal Oak...

Because.....

1. Brand identity is no where near Rolex and Patek Philippe...

2. No quick set on the date.....

3. Most Royal Oak & Royal Oak Offshore have problem with their crown....

Conclusion.... I vote Patek Philippe Nautilus my first choice and Rolex DateJust my second choice....

Date setting...^^^...

Eric explain about Royal Oak & Royal Oak Offshore having problem with their crown...^^^...

Check out the example of the video....^^^....

Again this is just my opinion....

Do your homework and find out what watch is right for you....

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 05:55 PM   #56
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

The good news is that if you own an AP 15202 or a PP 5711 you can always sell it and buy a Datejust.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 06:03 PM   #57
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
Such a price range !!

The 5711 would be my pick but honestly for the fraction of price I went for the DJ

Exactly and the DJ is a great watch and a great value too. That was my point as well. If they are the same price and that price is 30k who is then going to buy a DJ?

Plenty of people make individual value judgments at actual prices which are very far apart

Old 19 September 2018, 08:21 PM   #58
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 10:05 PM   #59
Double Barrel
Banned

Everyone is missing the point.
Obviously the datejust is the winner based on aesthetics.
Imagining it priced similar to the Patek and AP would mean the same attention to finishing - hand finishing the stainless steel by using machines (yes hands were used to operate the machine so it's apparently hand finished) - and that would blow these two other watches away purely based on design.
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote