The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4 December 2018, 09:29 AM   #1
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Patek Nautilus 5711 vs AP Royal Oak 15202 Ultimate comparison thread

I have received questions from members on several occasions regarding the considerations of the Patek 5711 vs the AP15202 (40 anniversary).
Previously I had responded in another members thread with a comprehensive reply but the thread was not titled in the most searchable terms.
So I have decided to share this with a more searchable title and hope it will provide some insight to potential owners regarding these two amazing and timeless watches. Below is my experience when ownership of each was fresh in my mind.

Pros
1)5711 will accommodate a smaller wrist better due to the shorter lug transition to bracelet. Overall the 5711 will accommodate a wider range of wrist sizes.
2)5711 has usable water resistance
3)5711 has a quickset date
4)5711 has a screw down crown
5)5711 has crown guards.

Pros
1)15202 is nearly identical to the original
2)15202 uses the original JLC movement
3)15202 fits a larger wrist better than anything I have owned.
4)15202 uses a color matched date wheel (much appreciated.) (1 of the few and minor changes from the original)
5)15202 the case finishing is magnificent.
6)15202 was Gentas first in 1972

Cons
1)5711 the movement has had some reliability issues specifically with the date advancement. update, the movment issues seem to be a thing of the past.
2)5711 does not use the original 2 hand movement (purchased by AP)
3)5711 the loss of the monocoque case (to provide a see through case back) is for me the most egregious departure from the original, not just for the aesthetics but because it altered the intent of the original design which only had access to the movment via the dial side.

Cons
1)15202 has a spring loaded clasp, not as foolproof as friction imho
2)very small crown is difficult to use (unintentionally pushes in while setting the date) which is amplified by the lack of a quickset date.
3)15202 WR does not recommend swimming. No screw down crown. (Although There is conflicting information.... This does not inspire confidence in this wearer.)
4)15202 the original style slimmer hands are considerably less visible in low light compared w the 5711 which is very good.

Imho as far as looks they are both magnificent and timeless, either could be chosen on looks without fault. For me it came down to practicality as a watch I could get a lot of wear out of and not have to be too concerned with. The 5711 is more equipped for this task, the case finishing hides routine marks better than the AP whose meticulously angular finishing, while beautiful was painful to see marked up in my experience with both my 15202 and SS Diver

PS subjectively, the Patek blue is just perfect. Enlarged pictures of the 15202 represent an incredibly balanced and beautiful dial however on the wrist much of the magic was lost in my experience, I would enjoy the sidecase view more than the dial side. On the other hand the 5711 on the wrist was considerably more compelling. Regarding the Patek 324 movment, I found it a bit boring and dated vs the AP historic, storied and quirky choice.
On paper the comparison is much closer than the moment they are on the wrist.

Original thread here :https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=433530

Here is another excellent comparison thread. https://www.fratellowatches.com/pate...uet-royal-oak/

I look forward to any additional facts, opinions and comments