The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2018, 11:51 PM   #31
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appa666 View Post
Both legendary.

Despite the SS watch bubble and difficulties of obtaining one, I would love to have both in my collection at MSRP.

However, considering the realities, i think its redundant to own both. Take your chance for something different, when I had chance to choose my Nautilus I went for 5712 instead.

Ultimately speaking, its not redundant to own both in your collection. Jumbo is more true to the OG genta design with lack of second hand, and 5711 is three handed with quick date set.

I will be more than happy to have both, but only if I am paying zero premiums, and it doesnt effect my other collection choice.

I'm not sure I could ever come to grips with the lack of a second hand... I have considered a jumbo purchase a few times and that always gets me. The quickset and push down crown I could get over but when I look down at my watch, I want to see it's alive! Not sure I would be ok with not seeing the second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 01:46 AM   #32
appa666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I'm not sure I could ever come to grips with the lack of a second hand... I have considered a jumbo purchase a few times and that always gets me. The quickset and push down crown I could get over but when I look down at my watch, I want to see it's alive! Not sure I would be ok with not seeing the second hand.

It’s a beauty my friend. If you can get one at retail I would say do it, and most likely you won’t regret for doing it.
Worst case even you don’t like it, flip it for what you paid for I assume many people will line up for it
appa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 01:48 AM   #33
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbo View Post
Royal oak is the chef d’oeuvre of his life

« you my Royal Oak are the chef d’œuvre of my career, made by the Artisans du Brassus, you are the magic realisation of a childhood dream »
Love it!
Old 5 December 2018, 01:57 AM   #34
Hramez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Philippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I have received questions from members on several occasions regarding the considerations of the Patek 5711 vs the AP15202 (40 anniversary).
Previously I had responded in another members thread with a comprehensive reply but the thread was not titled in the most searchable terms.
So I have decided to share this with a more searchable title and hope it will provide some insight to potential owners regarding these two amazing and timeless watches. Below is my experience when ownership of each was fresh in my mind.

Pros
1)5711 will accommodate a smaller wrist better due to the shorter lug transition to bracelet. Overall the 5711 will accommodate a wider range of wrist sizes.
2)5711 has usable water resistance
3)5711 has a quickset date
4)5711 has a screw down crown
5)5711 has crown guards.

Pros
1)15202 is nearly identical to the original
2)15202 uses the original JLC movement
3)15202 fits a larger wrist better than anything I have owned.
4)15202 uses a color matched date wheel (much appreciated.) (1 of the few and minor changes from the original)
5)15202 the case finishing is magnificent.
6)15202 was Gentas first in 1972

Cons
1)5711 the movement has had some reliability issues specifically with the date advancement. update, the movment issues seem to be a thing of the past.
2)5711 does not use the original 2 hand movement (purchased by AP)
3)5711 the loss of the monocoque case (to provide a see through case back) is for me the most egregious departure from the original, not just for the aesthetics but because it altered the intent of the original design which only had access to the movment via the dial side.

Cons
1)15202 has a spring loaded clasp, not as foolproof as friction imho
2)very small crown is difficult to use (unintentionally pushes in while setting the date) which is amplified by the lack of a quickset date.
3)15202 WR does not recommend swimming. No screw down crown. (Although There is conflicting information.... This does not inspire confidence in this wearer.)
4)15202 the original style slimmer hands are considerably less visible in low light compared w the 5711 which is very good.

Imho as far as looks they are both magnificent and timeless, either could be chosen on looks without fault. For me it came down to practicality as a watch I could get a lot of wear out of and not have to be too concerned with. The 5711 is more equipped for this task, the case finishing hides routine marks better than the AP whose meticulously angular finishing, while beautiful was painful to see marked up in my experience with both my 15202 and SS Diver

PS subjectively, the Patek blue is just perfect. Enlarged pictures of the 15202 represent an incredibly balanced and beautiful dial however on the wrist much of the magic was lost in my experience, I would enjoy the sidecase view more than the dial side. On the other hand the 5711 on the wrist was considerably more compelling. Regarding the Patek 324 movment, I found it a bit boring and dated vs the AP historic, storied and quirky choice.
On paper the comparison is much closer than the moment they are on the wrist.

Original thread here :https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=433530

Here is another excellent comparison thread. https://www.fratellowatches.com/pate...uet-royal-oak/

I look forward to any additional facts, opinions and comments

Excellent analysis, thank you

My vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hramez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 09:09 AM   #35
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
I really don’t know which reference I prefer. Both superb.
I think it goes to personal preference. Or like always on TRF, but them both!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A7E2B8EA-AF05-4723-AA67-E7605674BD0E.jpeg (216.9 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpeg D758B021-0725-4D82-BA3D-275C9C2A5BED.jpeg (212.6 KB, 639 views)
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 09:11 AM   #36
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
I really don’t know which reference I prefer. Both superb.
I think it goes to personal preference. Or like always on TRF, but them both!
The gold pieces bring a whole new dimension to the conversation. Both are exquisite
Old 5 December 2018, 09:16 AM   #37
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Thanks Gus , it really does change the conversation!
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 11:58 AM   #38
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Patek Nautilus 5711 vs AP Royal Oak 15202 Ultimate comparison thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by appa666 View Post
It’s a beauty my friend. If you can get one at retail I would say do it, and most likely you won’t regret for doing it.

Worst case even you don’t like it, flip it for what you paid for I assume many people will line up for it

I have a 5711 and 15300. I feel the 15300 with the second hand and white date wheel (really like that about the original) just ticks all the boxes for a 39mm Royal Oak. Not saying the 15202 doesn't tempt me from time to time but I just don't think it would be a keeper for me right now. Maybe that will change....

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2018, 12:08 PM   #39
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Didn’t bother reading any of the posts in this thread: buy them both.
Old 5 December 2018, 02:08 PM   #40
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Agree with most of the OP's points.

I owned both and only kepth the 5711, the non quickset date on the 15202 drove me crazy and every time I wound it I felt like the crown was going to break.

The clasp on the 5711 might be more secure, but it's a pain to open, it almost feels ike the bracelet will eventually break from pulling so hard. The 15202 on the other hand is a joy to open and feels very solid.
Old 7 December 2018, 02:13 AM   #41
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Great post, Gus. Although the 5711 blue dial is legendary, one reason I really like the 5711 white dial is the matching date wheel background to the dial color which makes that dial perfect IMO.
Agreed matching date wheel is a nice touch and the lack of one always makes me wonder, what we’re they thinking.?

Don’t know if you have seen it but There is a 5711 where the owner requested a matching date wheel from Patek they agreed and it looks great
Old 7 December 2018, 07:19 AM   #42
tng11
"TRF" Member

Good and fair comparison!

I have owned the 15202 and that is literally the only watch out of dozens that I've moved on that I truly, truly regret selling. Even though I am still heads over heels in love with my 5712, I want a 15202 back really badly. There's something quite romantic about it having changed very little since 1972, and how well everything flows together (e.g. the datewheel that matches the dial colour, the simplicity without a seconds hands, etc.) I wouldn't want a 5711 and 15202 at the same time, but on the other hand, the 5712 and 15202 would complement each other very well!

The thing that frustrated me the most with the 15202 was the lack of a quickset date. But I do have the date adjustment tool ready for the day when I get a 15202 back... so that is now less of an issue!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 01:39 PM   #43
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed matching date wheel is a nice touch and the lack of one always makes me wonder, what we’re they thinking.?

Don’t know if you have seen it but There is a 5711 where the owner requested a matching date wheel from Patek they agreed and it looks great
Have not seen the matching date wheel modern blue dial 5711, but that's the setup I'd want.
Old 9 December 2018, 02:08 AM   #44
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Very nice review, Gus, seem to remember something similar on the Other Brands forum too. Just on the blue dials, I'd say for me the two grey blue "original" dials have been superseded my more vibrant modern blue dials on the 15400 and 5711P.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 07:05 AM   #45
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
And the 5740!

Old 9 December 2018, 08:58 AM   #46
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
My vote. I actually find the 15202 and 15300 still too big. Going to shoot for a 15450 blue and try my luck there.

Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 07:11 AM   #47
subtona
"TRF" Member

5711 with matching date wheel to address one of my original cons
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 40F208C9-6E0B-4050-8C17-075A3A6EAEE7.jpeg (225.2 KB, 362 views)
Old 31 May 2021, 04:16 PM   #48
draken1
"TRF" Member

They are not comparable. They do not look like each other. Only the designer is the same. You can compare a steel datejust to a plain blue face overseas for that fact.

Audemars Royal oak bracelet finishing is close to none. You can recognize the brand 30 feet away similar to rolex.
draken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 06:56 PM   #49
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have received questions from members on several occasions regarding the considerations of the Patek 5711 vs the AP15202 (40 anniversary).
Previously I had responded in another members thread with a comprehensive reply but the thread was not titled in the most searchable terms.
So I have decided to share this with a more searchable title and hope it will provide some insight to potential owners regarding these two amazing and timeless watches. Below is my experience when ownership of each was fresh in my mind.

Pros
1)5711 will accommodate a smaller wrist better due to the shorter lug transition to bracelet. Overall the 5711 will accommodate a wider range of wrist sizes.
5)5711 has crown guards.

Pros
4)15202 uses a color matched date wheel (much appreciated.) (1 of the few and minor changes from the original)

Cons
1)5711 the movement has had some reliability issues specifically with the date advancement. update, the movment issues seem to be a thing of the past.
3)5711 the loss of the monocoque case (to provide a see through case back) is for me the most egregious departure from the original, not just for the aesthetics but because it altered the intent of the original design which only had access to the movment via the dial side.

Cons
2)very small crown is difficult to use (unintentionally pushes in while setting the date) which is amplified by the lack of a quickset date.
3)15202 WR does not recommend swimming. No screw down crown. (Although There is conflicting information.... This does not inspire confidence in this wearer.)
4)15202 the original style slimmer hands are considerably less visible in low light compared w the 5711 which is very good.

Imho as far as looks they are both magnificent and timeless, either could be chosen on looks without fault. For me it came down to practicality as a watch I could get a lot of wear out of and not have to be too concerned with. The 5711 is more equipped for this task, the case finishing hides routine marks better than the AP whose meticulously angular finishing, while beautiful was painful to see marked up in my experience with both my 15202 and SS Diver

PS subjectively, the Patek blue is just perfect. Enlarged pictures of the 15202 represent an incredibly balanced and beautiful dial however on the wrist much of the magic was lost in my experience, I would enjoy the sidecase view more than the dial side. On the other hand the 5711 on the wrist was considerably more compelling. Regarding the Patek 324 movment, I found it a bit boring and dated vs the AP historic, storied and quirky choice.

Here is another excellent comparison thread. https://www.fratellowatches.com/pate...uet-royal-oak/

I don't think you can use the point of 15202 being Genta's first as a pro point though. Isn't it 5402 the RO that was designed by Genta? I get what you mean that the RO was first designed by Genta but it isn't the 15202
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 08:03 PM   #50
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

15202 for me, and I’ve owned both.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 10:51 PM   #51
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draken1 View Post
They are not comparable. They do not look like each other. Only the designer is the same. You can compare a steel datejust to a plain blue face overseas for that fact.

Audemars Royal oak bracelet finishing is close to none. You can recognize the brand 30 feet away similar to rolex.
You don’t see a resemblance between these two iconic watches? The integrated bracelets & porthole designs with the ultra slim profile, and the earliest SS sports watches offered to the masses? Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I don't think you can use the point of 15202 being Genta's first as a pro point though. Isn't it 5402 the RO that was designed by Genta? I get what you mean that the RO was first designed by Genta but it isn't the 15202
Fair point, the 5711 wasn’t the original either (3700) but both are the refined descendant of the original Genta designs. Intent is to acknowledge the brand that offered the market the first SS sports watch at a time when this was not the norm.
Old 1 June 2021, 04:28 AM   #52
Uros
"TRF" Member

I love the 15202 for having two hands only, dial is so calm and when you look at it doesnt remind you immediately that the time is flying...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 04:38 AM   #53
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros View Post
I love the 15202 for having two hands only, dial is so calm and when you look at it doesnt remind you immediately that the time is flying...

Well said.
Old 1 June 2021, 04:42 AM   #54
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Like them both but one is the original and one was designed as a woman’s watch.

https://www.watchfinder.com/articles...t-royal-oak-vs
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Figured someone was eventually gonna post this....

Any wristwatch is a derivative of a women's watch; until after the turn of the last century, men wore exclusively pocket watches.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 08:37 AM   #55
7sins
"TRF" Member

LOVE my jumbo, would subjectively say it is aesthetically more pleasing and has much more presence than a 5711, regardless of metal.Will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 08:12 PM   #56
subtona
"TRF" Member

Adding a point to the list regarding bracelets

Quote:

Pros
5)5711 has crown guards.
6)5711 uses a locking pin and sleeve system for their bracelet.
(This system will not come apart by accident vs the screw bars used by AP (Rolex). screw bars are a very robust and durable system of connecting the bracelet to the watch and between links but I have had several experiences with these screw bars either loosening or backing out completely both with Rolex and AP. This is typically resolved by using the correct loctite.)

Pros

Cons
1)5711 the movement has had some reliability issues specifically with the date advancement. Resolved.

Cons

Old 1 June 2021, 09:10 PM   #57
jds1017
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros View Post

Agree! The dark datewheel is a nice touch as well...
jds1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 09:17 PM   #58
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
LOVE my jumbo, would subjectively say it is aesthetically more pleasing and has much more presence than a 5711, regardless of metal.Will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

That is a beautiful watch and fits your wrist perfectly
As said earlier in the thread, when are talking about the PM variations it becomes another conversation
Old 2 June 2021, 04:30 AM   #59
Robine
Banned

How "exciting"!

And, who is the "winner"?
Robine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2021, 04:35 AM   #60
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robine View Post
How "exciting"!

And, who is the "winner"?

that's for you to decide.

i have attempted to be objective in my comparison.