The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2021, 01:06 PM   #61
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
It is not local,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
This is the first I've heard of a 'market adjustment' on a new car sticker.
Do these tend to be local/regional market dependent or is this a national thing?
or National, it is in fact Worldwide.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 01:59 PM   #62
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I paid 3k over for a lexus but the dealer gave me 5k over what I paid for my 4R (msrp) on trade so I figured it was hype for hype just like watches lol
Old 23 October 2021, 04:15 PM   #63
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
This is the first I've heard of a 'market adjustment' on a new car sticker.
Do these tend to be local/regional market dependent or is this a national thing?
That's not a new car. It's a 2015 Hyundai. The used car market is just completely bonkers with the chip shortage and supply chain issues impacting new cars.

I actually got a fantastic deal this summer on a low mileage Audi Q5 with the supercharged V6, S-line, and all the options, clean Carfax, excellent condition. Many of the cars out there now have blemished Carfax reports with multiple accidents. You have to pounce literally the instant you find something good.

I can literally sell my car now for several grand more than what I just paid for it a couple months ago. My wife's Q7 is now selling for $4k to $5k more than what she paid for hers 2 years ago. That's insane.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 06:30 PM   #64
Atone
"TRF" Member

Watch: TinTin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Supply and demand. Period. It’s unreal.
This is bonkers.
There are buyers out there too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HOLY CRAP!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Friend just paid 15K over for a Tundra. He simply couldn't find one. Insanity, best to sit tight and watch this all unwind.
Yes, I agree. I think I caught the Covid boredom bug and wanted to get a fun new car or upgrade my off road vehicle but not worth it at all in this market. It’s just nuts.
Old 23 October 2021, 07:16 PM   #65
TimekeeperED54
Banned

Watch: Rolex HULK
Well, I will say if you have it spend it...ain't no crossing over to the other side with $$.
TimekeeperED54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 07:29 PM   #66
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
^^^

FYI, I know all sorts that are not rich that buy exotic cars. Leasing or a large balloon payment is very common.

I know plenty of dudes that depend on their paycheck to buy their exotic.

Smart? No. Hell no. But imo, not smart to finance a Rolex either. To each their own. It’s their only life to live, and if that’s their priority, good for them.

It’s all relative folks.

Everyone should stop judging others and mind their own damn business.
If you can get a super low, or even better 0%, interest rate and know you can afford the payments, then buying a Rolex on finance to spread the payments is actually the smartest thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Nothing more than virtue signaling.
Yup, gotta love virtue signallers for giving us all a good laugh, especially when they are doing it on a forum dedicated to luxury watches.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 09:34 PM   #67
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Dude!!!! ^^^^

I want that car!!! But dang…..
For that price, they can keep it.....no way it's worth it at that price, actually, even at MSRP, I think it overpriced....the car sounds like absolute $hit......definitely not a supercar/hypercar for that price.

For that money my man, the SLS with Gullwing doors is the one you need to get, heck the SLS Black Series is still a better bargain than that "market adjustment" car.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 10:36 PM   #68
Time4aRolex
"TRF" Member

“Market Adjustment”

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
Time4aRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:07 PM   #69
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You need to look outside your home market if dealers are expecting big markups on anything outside of rare GT cars and black series etc.

Run of the mill cars can be found at sticker with some searching. Shipping is about 1-2 bucks a mile depending on where to and from.
Old 23 October 2021, 11:18 PM   #70
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Millions have no access to safe drinking water.
I allow my less fortunate neighbors to drink out of my moat at no cost.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:26 PM   #71
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

This will last as long as people are willing to pay. I’m not and will wait it out. Months or years if at all possible. If everything keeps going up then the whole system will collapse and we are all in Venezuela. At that point who cares? We will be fighting to survive
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:30 PM   #72
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
For that price, they can keep it.....no way it's worth it at that price, actually, even at MSRP, I think it overpriced....the car sounds like absolute $hit......definitely not a supercar/hypercar for that price.

For that money my man, the SLS with Gullwing doors is the one you need to get, heck the SLS Black Series is still a better bargain than that "market adjustment" car.
Agree. On every point. Still want it. But definitely not doing in.

Very much want an SLS. But not doing that either. Not yet anyway.

Oddly, for me, I’ve been looking at 720 spiders. Considering what it is, they aren’t terribly priced. But nothing happening anytime soon anyway.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2021, 11:35 PM   #73
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
This will last as long as people are willing to pay. I’m not and will wait it out. Months or years if at all possible. If everything keeps going up then the whole system will collapse and we are all in Venezuela. At that point who cares? We will be fighting to survive
Imo, It’ll last until supply comes up and competitors have more offerings.

This is truly a supply and demand scenario.

Dealers can do it because their competitors are in the same boat. But once more product is available, prices will have to come down. Buyers will start looking for the best deals again, rather than simply being grateful that a car is actually available.

If they could collude and keep stock low, they would, and this would never end. Dealers are working less, have less expenses, but are making more. Dealer incentives and discounts no longer eat away at margins. Dealerships are loving this.

Old 23 October 2021, 11:44 PM   #74
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

You can always sell your Patek and Rolex watches and send them some.

Quote:
Millions have no access to safe drinking water.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 12:12 AM   #75
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I paid 3k over for a lexus but the dealer gave me 5k over what I paid for my 4R (msrp) on trade so I figured it was hype for hype just like watches lol

That’s a realistic situation. That said, we’ve been in the market and I’ve made it a point that any dealer around me I know of whose gouging will never get my business now or in the future. Cars, as a whole, aren’t unneeded luxury purchases like a Rolex. People need them to get from a to b, to their job, school, grandmas, etc. For me, adding a little premium is fine but flat out gouging on “necessities” is a solid nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 12:24 AM   #76
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
If you can get a super low, or even better 0%, interest rate and know you can afford the payments, then buying a Rolex on finance to spread the payments is actually the smartest thing to do.

Yup, gotta love virtue signallers for giving us all a good laugh, especially when they are doing it on a forum dedicated to luxury watches.
I won’t try to speak for you or anyone else, so I’ll direct this only towards me.

In a perfect world, that might be okay for big ticket items. But that lasts until it doesn’t. Then you are left with a liability, a monthly payment and something that is one again a depreciating asset.

Buying a Rolex on credit is the dumbest thing I could possibly do.

If I need the relatively small amount that my investments throw off based on 10-30 thousand dollars, I can’t truly afford this watch in the first place.

Adding debt for toys is pure folly, for me. To me.

Clearly for others it works okay. And I fully support that. But when the bubble bursts, and it eventually will, those with payments for toys, might wish they didn’t. But again, that depends on each individual and their situation.

Old 24 October 2021, 12:27 AM   #77
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I'm kind of amazed people are going for it. Unless your current ride just got totaled or something.

What happens in a couple/few years when you want to trade in or sell it. I seriously doubt it will hold it's value.

Isn't it like buying an overinflated house in a bubble and then expecting to get your money out when you sell it later???
Old 24 October 2021, 01:01 AM   #78
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I'm kind of amazed people are going for it. Unless your current ride just got totaled or something.

What happens in a couple/few years when you want to trade in or sell it. I seriously doubt it will hold it's value.

Isn't it like buying an overinflated house in a bubble and then expecting to get your money out when you sell it later???
Exactly right, regarding your last sentence.

But it’s not much different from anything else. Some need it. Others want it bad enough.

One neber knows what tomorrow will bring.

Edit to add, I’m one that is okay paying over. At least I was. Lately, less so. But for a house, I’d be okay with it. As long as the intention truly is to hold it long term. Imo, best, safest long term place to protect money and even make some in the process.

Old 24 October 2021, 01:10 AM   #79
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Quote:

One never knows what tomorrow will bring.
The actuaries do.....lenders, insurance companies, big brother.....all know.

Point......if there's a way to put an ass in a car, house, whatever and a loan is involved, they win and know it.....
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2021, 01:21 AM   #80
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
The actuaries do.....lenders, insurance companies, big brother.....all know.

Point......if there's a way to put an ass in a car, house, whatever and a loan is involved, they win and know it.....
Great point.

Old 24 October 2021, 01:21 AM   #81
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

The car market is crazy across the board. We moved from the burbs to the city and needed to downsize from 3 cars to 1 car. We kept our paid off Acura MDX high mileage family beater and sold both of our Audis. Didn't even need to list them.

Sold one to the parent of one of my kid's friends in grade school, and the other to our previous next door neighbors, good friends of ours. As they were no-hassle sales, we sold them for KBB private party prices even though we could have gotten a bit more listing them. We got WAY more than we would have 6 months prior. They got great deals compared to similar pre-owned vehicles on the market. Our cost of ownership ended up being quite low for both cars we sold accounting for the sales prices. Everyone was happy. Now we just need old Bessie to hold out for the next couple of years. Fortunately an Acura with 100k miles has a lot of life left in general.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 05:20 AM   #82
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Nothing more than virtue signaling.
Wrong.

Quote:
I bet that person has never done anything about getting drinking water to people that don’t have it.
Wrong again. Well done.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 07:11 AM   #83
rlj676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wrong.

Wrong again. Well done.
Instead of virtue signaling completely off topic in here wouldn’t it actually help if you started a thread with how you’ve done this alleged help you won’t bother expanding on here and get others to do so as well.

Otherwise it is the definition of virtue signaling.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 07:37 PM   #84
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Instead of virtue signaling completely off topic in here wouldn’t it actually help if you started a thread with how you’ve done this alleged help you won’t bother expanding on here and get others to do so as well.

Otherwise it is the definition of virtue signaling.
I have no virtue whatsoever. Giving to charity is the easiest method, and there are plenty to choose from.

All I'm doing is pointing out the utter absurdity of wealthy Karen crying that she can't get her completely unnecessary trinket. That's it. That's all I'm saying. Seems to have hit several nerves...
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 09:01 PM   #85
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Good thing I’m more of a Ferrari guy… oh… wait…

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 09:04 PM   #86
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
All I'm doing is pointing out the utter absurdity of wealthy Karen crying that she can't get her completely unnecessary trinket… Seems to have hit several nerves...
As would be the case with a true Karen… what did you expect? Not saying you’re wrong, just that you could have seen this coming.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like Karen any more than you do, I just have less illusions about reasoning with her. In a world in which the honor system has failed, trying to guilt people into behaving the way you want them to is not an effective technique. If anything, that’s the big Achilles heel of the whole woke movement, however much merit it may otherwise have.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 25 October 2021, 09:06 PM   #87
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I allow my less fortunate neighbors to drink out of my moat at no cost.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Me too, as an added benefit, it reduces the feeding cost for the alligators

Old 25 October 2021, 09:11 PM   #88
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

Tomorrow the cost of using the damn thing will be so high with fuel cost and emissions taxes and all that you may be better of paying the premium today and enjoying it while you can. Also don’t underestimate the shift in perspective on luxury goods. There’s a lot of precarious wealth around at the moment. Folks that don’t know whether they’ll still be as rich tomorrow as they have become overnight today. These folks may be scared they could miss out if they wait. As in: you can take my assets, but not the fun I’ve had with them…

Old 25 October 2021, 09:38 PM   #89
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Very curious what is going to happen to this luxury goods/ car bubble.

ADM on hard to get GT Porsche/ mid engine Ferrari is nothing new. 20-50k over has been going on for a while. It probably helps with holding up used car prices a bit. 100k IMO is simply unsustainable. Ask the guys that pay double for the 991R and the manual GT3 showed up.

But when this extends to run of the mill cars, I doubt it will end well. Unless maybe when we get into hyperinflation.

My personal strategy is if I can't get it at MSRP, I don't buy it. Just a matter of personal principle. I have access to Rolex models because I have been in it long enough, bought enough 'stuff' where I have an established 'relationship'. In essence, I paid the ADM by buying jewellery. However, I bought them because I want them, not buying it to get a Rolex.

I was looking at PP/ RM years ago and didn't go for it at MSRP. Now it is way too late and I am staying out.

But that is just me, I buy these things because it is what I want, not because it is what everyone else wants. I don't plan to make money off it. If you only hold it short term and plan on trading it in while the price keeps creeping up, I can see people doing it and still come out ahead.

YMMV.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 12:15 AM   #90
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Don't really want to start a sh!t storm but I thought this was an interesting article.

As someone nearer the end than the beginning I've wondered for long time if all this consumerism is sustainable. We've gone through a 70 year period of ME, and since Covid and global warming we're getting a bit of a taste of how interconnected we all are on this planet.

I know, I know this is a Rolex forum ........yada yada..... but I'm sure there were guys with expensive watches that didn't make out all that well on the Titanic.

Tell me what you think. I'm putting my Gucci helmet on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...delays/620465/