The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 October 2021, 05:14 AM   #31
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 05:24 AM   #32
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliaalsayegh View Post
High recommend it

Hard to tell…but is this the SS? Either way…SPECTACULAR.

jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 06:18 AM   #33
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post

Why would you even post this

Old 28 October 2021, 02:52 AM   #34
jed11
"TRF" Member

Opinions…too similar? And by similar I mean only from a feel and aesthetic standpoint. I own the Fifty Six already…

Old 28 October 2021, 02:59 AM   #35
eliaalsayegh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx
Yes its SS
eliaalsayegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 03:00 AM   #36
eliaalsayegh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Hard to tell…but is this the SS? Either way…SPECTACULAR.

Yes its SS
eliaalsayegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 04:04 AM   #37
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed11 View Post
Opinions…too similar? And by similar I mean only from a feel and aesthetic standpoint. I own the Fifty Six already…

Maybe sell the Fifty Six if you get this CDV. The CDV is more popping and elegant. Definitely more of a statement piece in a collection.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 09:32 AM   #38
jed11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Maybe sell the Fifty Six if you get this CDV. The CDV is more popping and elegant. Definitely more of a statement piece in a collection.

Yeah that’s an option…but really like the fifty six despite it being the very entry level point for VC. But that’s why I love it…dressy SS watch that I can wear everywhere. So I’m going to hold on to it.

Old 4 November 2021, 01:00 PM   #39
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I agree with some of what has been said in this thread but not all. First, the Cornes de Vache is definitely more of a heart v. head purchase. Compared to the 1815 Chronograph, which is about the same price as the Cornes de Vache in gold, the Lange offers a lot more in terms of modern movement design and finishing. That written, I really like the case and dial of the Cornes de Vache better.

As far as price goes, I think what Vacheron is asking is fair. A hand finished manual chronograph is not going to be cheap and it's a bargain in steel compared to the discontinued platinum version. Yes, the Speedmaster 321 has the same movement but there is a huge difference in finishing and brand, which makes the large premium for Cornes de Vache justifiable.

From a pure value perspective, the discontinued Breguet versions are probably the way to go, as you get finishing that is far superior to the Omega, if not up the finishing of the Cornes de Vache, in precious metal at a price that is about half of the Cornes de Vache's. Still, there's the case and dial of the Cornes de Vache. I couldn't really fault one for choosing the Cornes de Vache, the 321, the Breguets, or the 1815 Chronograph. However, if you want steel, there's only one choice.

As for the Fifty Six, I very much like it but it's not a Cornes de Vachea and I could easily see both in a collection, even a small one.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2021, 09:31 PM   #40
Cthulhuwatch
"TRF" Member

I, too, struggled to choose between CdV in steel and boutique edition of 1815, but as soon as I saw them both in the flesh, I just knew..

Love my CdV!
Cthulhuwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2021, 01:06 AM   #41
jed11
"TRF" Member

I'm really loving all the love that the CdV is getting...and rightfully so.
Old 13 April 2022, 07:22 AM   #42
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

Just dug out this old thread as I am very close to pulling the trigger on the CdV as well, having seen it multiple times at a boutique.
Whenever I saw it in person, I liked the steel version more than the gold one.
Now that I look at pictures, I am a bit worried about legibility of the steel version due to potentially not enough contrast between the hour/minute hands and the dial, whereas in the gold version there is more contrast.
This concern never occurred to me when I saw the watches live, but now having doubts and second guesses again.
Any owners with views on legibility?
It'd be a big one for me so want to get it right...
d-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 11:24 AM   #43
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dawg View Post
Just dug out this old thread as I am very close to pulling the trigger on the CdV as well, having seen it multiple times at a boutique.
Now that I look at pictures, I am a bit worried about legibility of the steel version due to potentially not enough contrast between the hour/minute hands and the dial, whereas in the gold version there is more contrast.
This concern never occurred to me when I saw the watches live, but now having doubts and second guesses again.

The silver on silver is indeed harder to read. But the steel version is probably the best version I have seen and the strap makes the whole watch just right with the vintage look.

My first Vacheron and made me wonder why I waited so long to get into the brand.

llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 12:41 PM   #44
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dawg View Post
Before I ordered the platinum version when I learned it was discontinued, I was concerned with the same thing. However, in reality, it's easily readable due to the high hand polished hands that pick up tremendous light against the satin dial, even in low light. (The same goes for the steel version, which I tried on before I made my choice.) Yes, the gold version, which is actually my favorite version and one I've actually thought about adding, has better visibility, but you should have no problem with the steel version. For what it's worth, I think the Cornes de Vache in any metal is a stunning watch and I absolutely love wearing mine. On the wrist, I prefer it to my 1815 Chronograph.
Old 13 April 2022, 01:27 PM   #45
nickorette
"TRF" Member

Funny this thread just popped up, I just picked up my Cornes De Vache 1955 on Sunday from the boutique. I had ordered about a month or so prior.

I too considered precious metal versions, but in the end I chose steel because the black/red dial print over grey looked more aesthetically pleasing to me then the black/blue over white.

As far as competition goes, I already have an 1815 (up/down), not a fan of Breguet (their dials) and the Patek didn't have much of a story to me whereas the Cornes De Vache most certainly does. Most importantly however is the unique case design, the way light dances off the lugs and bezel is absolutely spectacular.

I thought the 1142 movement to be a positive actually. While technically not period correct for the Cornes De Vache, it was in existence during that time and is of course made completely in house now and finished to Geneva seal standards. I also find it a quirky tidbit that both my 321 Speedmaster and the Cornes De Vache have the same movement architecture despite 80 years since initial development and manufactured by two completely different companies.

IWC: Portuguese Min. Repeater, Pilot 36, Pallweber RG, Vintage Pilot's, Ingenieur Patek: 5098P, 5738R, 5120G, 5172G JLC: Reverso Classic, Duomètre, Polaris Memovox 50th, MUTM Enamel AP: 15450 Lange: Lange 1, Copper Blue, Richard Lange, 1815 Up/Down Rolex: 116000, 116520, 126655, 124060, 116505, 228238 Panerai: Luminor 676 Omega: Aqua Terra, SM 300, Museum N°10, SM 321, CK 859 Cartier: Santos Medium, Tank LC VC: Cornes De Vache, Triple Calendrier, 222, 4300V/120R FPJ: CS LF: Classic Micro Rotor
nickorette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 06:28 AM   #46
d-dawg
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated and really helpful.

Also on the latest photo pretty good legibility so I may have overthought that point - you may know how it goes when you sneak around a model for a long time...

Will keep all of you posted on how things progress, just need to find a time to stop by my VC dealer...
d-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2022, 10:07 PM   #47
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Absolutely love the CdV, probably my favorite VC reference. I was always partial to the platinum version, but recently tried the rg and was smitten. Simply beautiful! Here are a couple of pics I took at the boutique.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 12:38 AM   #48
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
I've been infatuated with this watch for a long time; I've always said that if I was going to splurge on a dress chrono, this would be it.

I was able to try it on in Vegas a couple weeks back while looking at other models and while it is indeed beautiful, I came away with the feeling that it was better in pictures than it was on the wrist. I've come to the realization that I'm not a fancy lugs kind of guy, and spending this much on a dress watch just wouldn't fit my WFH-sweats-and-a-tee lifestyle.

It's very nice - just not for me.

Old 17 April 2022, 03:57 PM   #49
Hermansen
"TRF" Member

The CdV is so nice!
I heard that the steel version is to be discontinued now. Anybody else heard the same?
Hermansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 12:23 AM   #50
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
I've been infatuated with this watch for a long time; I've always said that if I was going to splurge on a dress chrono, this would be it.

I was able to try it on in Vegas a couple weeks back while looking at other models and while it is indeed beautiful, I came away with the feeling that it was better in pictures than it was on the wrist. I've come to the realization that I'm not a fancy lugs kind of guy, and spending this much on a dress watch just wouldn't fit my WFH-sweats-and-a-tee lifestyle.

It's very nice - just not for me.

With the calf strap and steel case, I don’t really consider it dressy and would wear it with jeans and t-shirt all day long. I even wear my blue dial 5172 with casual attire. I am also a t-shirt and jeans person but is finding the joy of wearing nice dress piece with it.

You cannot be that rigid on what watch you wear if you are indeed WFH-sweats-and-a-tee lifestyle
Old 18 April 2022, 12:37 AM   #51
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
With the calf strap and steel case, I don’t really consider it dressy and would wear it with jeans and t-shirt all day long. I even wear my blue dial 5172 with casual attire. I am also a t-shirt and jeans person but is finding the joy of wearing nice dress piece with it.

You cannot be that rigid on what watch you wear if you are indeed WFH-sweats-and-a-tee lifestyle
I never got the aversion people have to dress watches. Wear them with anything; I assure you Ben Clymer won't come out of the woodwork and slap you in the face.

Wearing this with sweats and sneakers right now.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 12:50 AM   #52
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I never got the aversion people have to dress watches. Wear them with anything; I assure you Ben Clymer won't come out of the woodwork and slap you in the face.

Wearing this with sweats and sneakers right now.

My wife does that. She needs to match the color of the strap and/or dial with the outfit.
Old 18 April 2022, 01:02 AM   #53
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
My wife does that. She needs to match the color of the strap and/or dial with the outfit.
I literally have like 20 quick release straps for that very reason.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 01:03 AM   #54
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I literally have like 20 quick release straps for that very reason.

Ah. So I am not alone.
Old 5 May 2022, 11:49 PM   #55
moting
"TRF" Member

Watch: addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermansen View Post
The CdV is so nice!
I heard that the steel version is to be discontinued now. Anybody else heard the same?
Is it just a rumor or from a reliable source?
moting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2022, 12:58 PM   #56
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermansen View Post
The CdV is so nice!
I haven't heard that and I can't believe they'd discontinue the steel version, as it's the newest, unless they're going to discontinue all of them. If so, the steel version (all versions, really) could become a very desirable watch. After hearing Christian Selmoni's comments regarding the platinum salmon dial Malte perpetual calendar chronograph, I see a platinum version with a salmon dial coming next year.
Old 7 May 2022, 01:06 AM   #57
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I haven't heard that and I can't believe they'd discontinue the steel version, as it's the newest, unless they're going to discontinue all of them. If so, the steel version (all versions, really) could become a very desirable watch. After hearing Christian Selmoni's comments regarding the platinum salmon dial Malte perpetual calendar chronograph, I see a platinum version with a salmon dial coming next year.

My boutique SA said he had not heard anything but he would not be surprised. He also mentioned that other models like 1921 may have a smaller production to make room for the new 222.

As expected, demand for 222 is probably off the chart.
Old 9 June 2022, 01:44 PM   #58
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660

Old 9 June 2022, 02:05 PM   #59
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

Stunner! The CdV (yous in platinum?) has a beautifully finished in-house-produced version of the lemania movement.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2022, 12:20 AM   #60
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Stunner! The CdV (yous in platinum?) has a beautifully finished in-house-produced version of the lemania movement.

Thank you! Yes, a recent add. The movement is stunning, and I loupe it a lot. :)