The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 October 2021, 12:46 PM   #1
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Suggestions for next piece?

I have narrowed my next watch item to 3 (or 4). Before listing them, my current collection consists of the 2020 Submariner Date (126610LN), the CHNR "Root Beer" (116711CHNR), the ALS Saxonia Thin 37 in rose gold, an older Datejust 161014, and an AP Royal Oak 15500ST silver/white dial. The Sub, Root Beer, and ALS were purchased at the same AD.

Here are the options I am consider...

1. Daytona 116508 or 116518LN, both with the Paul Newman'esque. To be honest, the Daytona is not my favorite watch in the world, but I have no chrono in my collection, so it can't hurt to pick up a Daytona. Yellow gold just to add some further diversity. Leaning a little towards the full bracelet because I don't have a full PM piece, and I appreciate that this version has a touch of vintage flair to it. Not sure if I have a good chance of being allocated one by my AD soon, but I have a pretty decent watch for my wife that's supposed to have my name on it, and that will definitely help in my spend history.

2. PP Aquanaut 5167A. For the men's PP sport watches, I always liked the Aquanaut better than the Nautilus, at least when it comes to the basic time and date only models. I like the casual yet refined look the Aquanaut has, but it's another steel time and date only watch, which I'm not sure really adds much diversity to my collection. Again, not sure what my chances are with this piece, but I'll be talking to my AD about it soon.

3. ALS 1815 Up/Down in rose gold. I love the understated small details of this piece. If going this route, I would trade in my Saxonia for it. I do like the Saxonia a lot, but I feel that it has a very svelte look that is better suited to business casual attire at a minimum, which I rarely dress in these days. As such, the Saxonia gets very little wear time now. I feel that I would get more use out of the Up/Down, because to me, it can be pulled off better if dressing on the nicer side of casual, yet still fulfill the role of a dress watch, which I still want in my collection. This option would be the cheapest and easiest, since I would apply a trade in for it, and can likely get without too much trouble from my AD. I probably will still be thinking of one of the above 2 pieces in the future too, so perhaps getting another ALS will put me in a better position to request the Daytona or Aquanaut one day.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 09:58 PM   #2
llngoc
"TRF" Member

At most Patek AD, I believe that purchase history of other brand helps but to a much lesser extent when it comes to the hot piece. The purchase history of Patek matters more. At least that’s what my AD told me since Patek does keep an eye on who’s getting these hard to get pieces. It makes sense as Patek probably does not want to award a Rolex buyer with a Nautilius/Aquanaut.

But of course your mileage may vary and your AD may do things differently.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 10:13 PM   #3
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
I would go for the Daytona as to have a diverse complications in your collection……as you already have a Datejust and Royal Oak - both are classic icons by the way, I would not consider to add PP aquanaut to your lineup as it would be redundant.

Current collection: 1) Rolex Submariner 116610LV, 2) Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional 311.30.42.30.01.006, 3) Panerai Luminor GMT 10-days PAM533
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 10:25 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wouldn’t add a Dayton if you aren’t into chronographs, but YMMV.

The Aquanaut is sublime, but will be difficult to get at an AD
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2021, 10:33 PM   #5
cotway
Banned

Watch: Zeitwerk Date
I am in the same boat as you with regards to a chronograph, I don’t have one in my current collection either and I am not a big fan of the Daytona…I just purchased a Lange 1815 Annual Calendar in rose gold and absolutely love it. My vote is for the Lange!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cotway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 02:33 AM   #6
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
At most Patek AD, I believe that purchase history of other brand helps but to a much lesser extent when it comes to the hot piece. The purchase history of Patek matters more. At least that’s what my AD told me since Patek does keep an eye on who’s getting these hard to get pieces. It makes sense as Patek probably does not want to award a Rolex buyer with a Nautilius/Aquanaut.

But of course your mileage may vary and your AD may do things differently.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention they the piece that’s on request and supposedly allocated for my wife is a ladies Nautilus (7118 with diamond bezel). So we’ll see if that helps with future PP sport models.
Old 26 October 2021, 03:28 AM   #7
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
Oh yeah I forgot to mention they the piece that’s on request and supposedly allocated for my wife is a ladies Nautilus (7118 with diamond bezel). So we’ll see if that helps with future PP sport models.

Believe it or not, even the ladies 7118 is becoming “hot”. But ones with diamond may be less so as man cannot wear the diamond one.

However, I am trying to get a 5268R for my wife and it is considered a desirable piece too. I was actually surprised. It is madness almost everywhere nowadays.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 04:48 AM   #8
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

I would vote for the aquanaut if your AD says it is doable. I also prefer it to the nautilus and I think the rubber really adds to wearability.

VC Overseas could be an option if the rubber strap sports watch is appealing. Plus a superb watch in its own right.

Something slight lay different that I tried on this weekend at the boutique is the Bulgari Octo Finnisimo in ceramic.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2021, 06:04 AM   #9
Longhorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK SMASH
Great position to be in! My only piece of advice is to not feel beholding to go about adding to collection based on a checklist based on arbitrary ideas of diversity. It may limit your ability to bond or truly enjoy an acquisition.
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 05:33 AM   #10
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Suggestions for next piece?

Feels like none of them are properly singing to you yet. I would keep the money in my pocket until something does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2021, 11:04 AM   #11
Ragnarok
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3714 Portugieser
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaixguard View Post
I have narrowed my next watch item to 3 (or 4). Before listing them, my current collection consists of the 2020 Submariner Date (126610LN), the CHNR "Root Beer" (116711CHNR), the ALS Saxonia Thin 37 in rose gold, an older Datejust 161014, and an AP Royal Oak 15500ST silver/white dial. The Sub, Root Beer, and ALS were purchased at the same AD.

Here are the options I am consider...

1. Daytona 116508 or 116518LN, both with the Paul Newman'esque. To be honest, the Daytona is not my favorite watch in the world, but I have no chrono in my collection, so it can't hurt to pick up a Daytona. Yellow gold just to add some further diversity. Leaning a little towards the full bracelet because I don't have a full PM piece, and I appreciate that this version has a touch of vintage flair to it. Not sure if I have a good chance of being allocated one by my AD soon, but I have a pretty decent watch for my wife that's supposed to have my name on it, and that will definitely help in my spend history.

2. PP Aquanaut 5167A. For the men's PP sport watches, I always liked the Aquanaut better than the Nautilus, at least when it comes to the basic time and date only models. I like the casual yet refined look the Aquanaut has, but it's another steel time and date only watch, which I'm not sure really adds much diversity to my collection. Again, not sure what my chances are with this piece, but I'll be talking to my AD about it soon.

3. ALS 1815 Up/Down in rose gold. I love the understated small details of this piece. If going this route, I would trade in my Saxonia for it. I do like the Saxonia a lot, but I feel that it has a very svelte look that is better suited to business casual attire at a minimum, which I rarely dress in these days. As such, the Saxonia gets very little wear time now. I feel that I would get more use out of the Up/Down, because to me, it can be pulled off better if dressing on the nicer side of casual, yet still fulfill the role of a dress watch, which I still want in my collection. This option would be the cheapest and easiest, since I would apply a trade in for it, and can likely get without too much trouble from my AD. I probably will still be thinking of one of the above 2 pieces in the future too, so perhaps getting another ALS will put me in a better position to request the Daytona or Aquanaut one day.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
A side question, how are you enjoying your saxonia thin ? Do you prefer the simplicity of the dial?

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 10:05 AM   #12
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
A side question, how are you enjoying your saxonia thin ? Do you prefer the simplicity of the dial?

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
It's a great piece, and the simplicity is actually what makes it great. It's just that I feel that due to the extreme simplicity and size of it, it's best suited as a dress watch, or at least business casual attire. To my eyes, ALS' more complicated and slightly larger pieces would work better with more relaxed attire, so long as you are dressing better than sports wear.