The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 October 2021, 01:29 AM   #31
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I have a buddy that was in the exact same position for many years. Had a Ferrari but drove an Acura to the office. That level of wealth, i can understand not wanting clients to see. But Rolex? A submariner like the majority of these guys seem to wear, no big deal.

If my FA wears a $10,000 watch, i wouldn’t think twice. If he’s wearing a Mille or a rainbow Daytona, i have questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 01:38 AM   #32
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I have a buddy that was in the exact same position for many years. Had a Ferrari but drove an Acura to the office. That level of wealth, i can understand not wanting clients to see. But Rolex? A submariner like the majority of these guys seem to wear, no big deal.

If my FA wears a $10,000 watch, i wouldn’t think twice. If he’s wearing a Mille or a rainbow Daytona, i have questions.

This is an excellent example of how you feel personally and what is interesting is I totally agree with you on the sub. Now tell me how the other 200 clients the FA has feels about this.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 01:43 AM   #33
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
This is an excellent example of how you feel personally and what is interesting is I totally agree with you on the sub. Now tell me how the other 200 clients the FA has feels about this.

Quote:

I imagine it’s a generational thing. I am 34 and don’t see it as a big deal or a flash of wealth. I would imagine a 70 year old might feel a bit differently.

Old 28 October 2021, 01:47 AM   #34
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I am retired now...I was in sales b2b field sales rep and retail sales from 1973 to 2019. I wore good watches, Rolex, Panerai, Omega...stainless & gold.
Never had a comment, never affected my business.
Don't worry, be happy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 28 October 2021, 01:49 AM   #35
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
I imagine it’s a generational thing. I am 34 and don’t see it as a big deal or a flash of wealth. I would imagine a 70 year old might feel a bit differently.

Nope. I imagine there are plenty of 70-year-olds that agree with you and plenty of 34-year-olds that don’t. The truth is we have no idea. I have been married 25 years and I could write a very large book about what I don’t know about my wife. So there is no way to know and most people/clients are not going to tell you unless you get to know them really well.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 October 2021, 01:50 AM   #36
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I am retired now...I was in sales b2b field sales rep and retail sales from 1973 to 2019. I wore good watches, Rolex, Panerai, Omega...stainless & gold.
Never had a comment, never affected my business.
Don't worry, be happy.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
So you’re saying you had 100% closing ratio? Outstanding. Unheard of.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 October 2021, 02:01 AM   #37
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

With timepieces we are actually only including one item in the overall picture of how a person presents itself.

Back in the 70s/80s IBM had a LAW of how its sales force presented themselves. The blue suits etc. They were probably the largest "tech" company around. And they all looked like clones of each other.

When tech in Silicon Valley started, Casual Friday started because HP, really the first game in town had it's people come in on Friday dressed casually to help with shipping and getting orders out. We all know how that evolved.

I knew sales guys in tech in the 90s in Silicon Valley that initially had to take off their ties to visit tech firms like Intel. Then soon guys were wearing golf/tennis shirts instead of white shirts to work then that morphed in khakis.

If you came in wearing a suit you were treated as an alien.

I think every area AND every profession has its uniform, and if you want to be a rebel some people love it and others distrust it. And soon that rebel dress, becomes the new uniform.

Things change.
Old 28 October 2021, 02:05 AM   #38
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Don't think the clients sitting across from you in any sales relationship aren't counting your money to see if you aren't bilking them.

About 20yrs ago, A multi-million (probably billions at this point) dollar industry that I used to work in was changed forever by an individual wearing a Rolex SS Daytona and driving the wrong car in front of the wrong people at a very important meeting. It was noticed and the client responded with a vengeance.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 02:24 AM   #39
Dr. Robert

Watch: 1655
Quote:
So you’re saying you had 100% closing ratio? Outstanding. Unheard of.
I’m a closer, made salesman of the year every year. I still do some sales part time….. I love selling. It’s not difficult.
Make the customer your friend and business partner, pay attention, give excellent follow up service. It isn’t brain surgery.
Old 28 October 2021, 02:26 AM   #40
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I must admit that my watch choice for the day was completely dependent upon the customer. Some of my prospective customers would probably be put off by a flashy watch.

For those scenarios I would usually wear a JLC RDM MUT or a g shock if casual.

For the customers that made a good deal of money and liked watches - I’d wear anything I wanted. Usually the Platinum DDII. I had one repeat customer that used to swap watches with me for the day.

I had the better end of the deal because his daily was an exquisite PP perpetual calendar. :). We had fun with it and have become friends even after I changed employers.

For the aspirational customers that liked nice things and were open to enhancing their bottom line with my gear and were open to practice management consultation I usually wore a SS Daytona and drove my 911 instead of the company car. The messaging is pretty clear - partner with me and you’ll get where you want to be.

Personally I think the bottom line is - get to know your customers really well and proceed accordingly.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 02:28 AM   #41
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
I’m a closer, made salesman of the year every year. I still do some sales part time….. I love selling. It’s not difficult.
Make the customer your friend and business partner, pay attention, give excellent follow up service. It isn’t brain surgery.
Lol. K

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 October 2021, 02:44 AM   #42
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

I believe that every customer expects that you are personally successful if they are letting you control their money. I’d rather count on someone who is competent. Not that wearing an expensive watch equals competence, it more signals it.

Now the opinion of Rolex as an expensive watch will vary depending on who you are dealing with. My friends all have much more expense watches but most have a Rolex or two in the collection. I personally like Rolex because I am so hard on watches and Rolex has proven the most durable. Watches are meant to be worn. I don’t do safe queens any more and I don’t have to service them any more, either. . I don’t want to think about protecting the watch from daily life.

If anyone asks,”Why Rolex and not a “better” watch?” that’s the answer that they get.

I’ve never had anyone that I’ve done a deal with comment on my watches unless they were also interested in watches and liked the reference. That’s it.

Most people won’t notice at all, anyway.

If you are wearing business attire, a Rolex will fit the look and won’t stand out. If you are wearing a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops, a full gold Rolex is going to stick out.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 02:46 AM   #43
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
If I felt like I was getting ripped off, I would definitely look negatively on the person having a nice watch.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 03:03 AM   #44
Ljesnjak
"TRF" Member

I must tell a personal story regarding this:

3 weeks ago, I went into the local Rolex AD. The point was to try on. A DJ36 before I buy one myself, because I found the 41 too big, but the other AD didn’t have a 36 in. When I was done with the trying I went upstairs just to have a quick and very uninterested glance at the Omegas (uninterested only since I was determined to get my dream watch for my 30th birthday, the DJ). When I was there an older gentleman was looking at a couple of watches and our eyes met and we nodded at each other. On the way out the two of us met in the security door. He asked me if I bought a watch and I told him I was only trying one on. We spoke a little outside the boutique and he told me that he bought his own Rolex DJ, the one on his wrist, in Paris back when he was 34 (he was around 65 now) because his boss told him: Karl, you are an excellent sales man, but why do you make it hard for yourself, no one is taking you seriously! Go buy yourself a Rolex and a nice suit and dress the part!

He was working as a key account B2B at some company. I told him that I just quit my job as a real estate agent to switch to a account manager job with realtors as a clientele instead and he said: get the watch, don’t hesitate. So I did. Now we have to see what the realtors think, but I believe what most of you have said: reflect the customer, and I know a lot of the realtors celebrate achievements with watches, so I think it’ll be ok.
Ljesnjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 03:17 AM   #45
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Don't think the clients sitting across from you in any sales relationship aren't counting your money to see if you aren't bilking them.

About 20yrs ago, A multi-million (probably billions at this point) dollar industry that I used to work in was changed forever by an individual wearing a Rolex SS Daytona and driving the wrong car in front of the wrong people at a very important meeting. It was noticed and the client responded with a vengeance.
an entire industry was changed by what watch and car some dude had?

and one client saw it, didn't like it, and changed the industry?

you are a smart guy. you have to know this sounds implausible at best.

needs a little color. having a real hard time imagining how an entire company, if it was a good one, let alone an entire industry can be effected so severely by one person and their customer.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 03:23 AM   #46
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljesnjak View Post
I must tell a personal story regarding this:

3 weeks ago, I went into the local Rolex AD. The point was to try on. A DJ36 before I buy one myself, because I found the 41 too big, but the other AD didn’t have a 36 in. When I was done with the trying I went upstairs just to have a quick and very uninterested glance at the Omegas (uninterested only since I was determined to get my dream watch for my 30th birthday, the DJ). When I was there an older gentleman was looking at a couple of watches and our eyes met and we nodded at each other. On the way out the two of us met in the security door. He asked me if I bought a watch and I told him I was only trying one on. We spoke a little outside the boutique and he told me that he bought his own Rolex DJ, the one on his wrist, in Paris back when he was 34 (he was around 65 now) because his boss told him: Karl, you are an excellent sales man, but why do you make it hard for yourself, no one is taking you seriously! Go buy yourself a Rolex and a nice suit and dress the part!

He was working as a key account B2B at some company. I told him that I just quit my job as a real estate agent to switch to a account manager job with realtors as a clientele instead and he said: get the watch, don’t hesitate. So I did. Now we have to see what the realtors think, but I believe what most of you have said: reflect the customer, and I know a lot of the realtors celebrate achievements with watches, so I think it’ll be ok.

I barely wear a watch these days. Not sure if I ever will again...regularly.

but about a month or so ago I was wearing my patek 5726. I visited with a customer. A customer that I had previously gotten minimal traction with.

this meeting went differently. customer was super interested and attentive. he also stated to his CFO that I was clearly the person they needed to be dealing with going forward. while I was there.

as the meeting ended, he said "nice watch, that is a nautilus right"? Conversation took off from there.

Needless to say, I got the work.

Once can never tell. Sometimes it might work, sometimes it might turn someone off. Life is short. And people are horrible.

OP and anyone else, if you are truly good at what you do, have honor and integrity, it is just a numbers game. with enough time, you will be successful, without question. regardless of what watch you wear.

BUT, if you are the douche bag, that comes out too. and hey, so many D bags out there that do well too. so again, life is short, do you. wear what you want, be confident, and do good things.

Old 28 October 2021, 03:30 AM   #47
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I had a guy wearing a 1665 double red seadweller in a meeting once and i was completely oblivious to anything else going on. I just wanted it to be over as quickly as possible so we could talk about his watch .

Old 28 October 2021, 04:08 AM   #48
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

needs a little color. having a real hard time imagining how an entire company, if it was a good one, let alone an entire industry can be effected so severely by one person and their customer.
I have no idea if Fleetlords illustration is correct or not but an actor wearing a Rolex sports watch with a suit/tux did change watch culture and what was acceptable with what from a Dr No movie in 1962.

Clark Gable not wearing a undershirt in It Happened One Night supposedly gave men the ok to not wear one either.

Just sayin.
Old 28 October 2021, 04:27 AM   #49
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I have no idea if Fleetlords illustration is correct or not but an actor wearing a Rolex sports watch with a suit/tux did change watch culture and what was acceptable with what from a Dr No movie in 1962.

Clark Gable not wearing a undershirt in It Happened One Night supposedly gave men the ok to not wear one either.

Just sayin.
That’s marketing and advertising. Which certainly has the power to shape culture. Which is why it’s such a massive industry.

Not sure the analogy/comparison works here tho.

Any business changed that much by one customer, wasn’t much of a business. An industry? Well, hard to believe, but I’m open to it.

Just looking for a little color so I can understand. Because at the moment, that’s tough to grasp.

Old 28 October 2021, 05:00 AM   #50
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s marketing and advertising. Which certainly has the power to shape culture. Which is why it’s such a massive industry.

Not sure the analogy/comparison works here tho.

Any business changed that much by one customer, wasn’t much of a business. An industry? Well, hard to believe, but I’m open to it.

Just looking for a little color so I can understand. Because at the moment, that’s tough to grasp.
I get your point but I'd argue that it's NOT marketing or advertising but something far more subtle in the cases I mentioned. The catalyst was that the GUY was really cool, and people were in the mood for change. The anti-conventional, if you will.

I realize that now product placement is blasted in your face on steroids but I think the subtle versions are more impactful.

Take tattoos. Big no, no. But then some cool people (or rebels) showed up with them and suddenly they're almost everywhere except the boardroom.

It's sort of how fashion evolves, from the street to the shops and not the other way around, in some cases.

Anyways not wanting to get off on a tangent....
Old 28 October 2021, 05:07 AM   #51
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
Just don’t wear your Rolex to Paul’s Poker Game!
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 05:14 AM   #52
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
Just don’t wear your Rolex to Paul’s Poker Game!
And if you invite him over to your house for poker night, make sure all the bedroom doors are locked or you may have a permanent house guest.
Old 28 October 2021, 05:14 AM   #53
Thug
"TRF" Member

Some of you sound like you’re projecting. There’s really nothing accurate that you can judge from seeing someone with a watch without knowing more. I would not think the salesman is more successful or paid too much because he has a gold Rolex or some other expensive watch on.

That being said, I do think a lot of guys have large watches these days that can’t fit under cuff properly so it visible to everyone, in a bad way.
Thug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 05:17 AM   #54
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I barely wear a watch these days. Not sure if I ever will again...regularly.

Exactly where I am and it is causing me to think about my collection and what I want going forward. I am thinking I would rather have one knockout piece rather than 5 hype pieces.

Something that I would enjoy wearing and not feel guilty about what is not being worn.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 06:25 AM   #55
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Exactly. I want to do business with someone who is successful and has the trappings to show for it.

This is correct. Not sure why anyone who can afford any of this would be embarrased by it.

Exactly. Why would I take the financial advice from someone who is not doing well for themselves financially? Am I supposed to trust them to build my wealth if they can't even do it for themselves?

In addition, if my financial advisor has to intentionally dress like a bum to meet me, that's the level of conniver I don't need.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:19 AM   #56
rick lee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
I sell final expense life insurance, mostly to poor people. 75-90% of my business is replacing overpriced polices people have already bought. So they're already thrilled I've saving them some money or getting them more coverage for what they were already paying. I have been wearing my James Cameron every day for a month now. Not a single comment. The only guy to ever comment on my Explorer II was a near drooling vegetable, but he was a watch guy. One woman commented on my IWC Aquatimer, but she had no idea what it was. No one should ever be afraid to appear successful at their job.
rick lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 07:26 AM   #57
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

I think some of you are missing the point here and not addressing what the OP was talking about. He was wondering if wearing something flashy like a watch could affect sales. The answer to that is most definitely sure, probably, maybe or as my friends in the south say might could. Lol. Point being why would you want to take a chance if you get paid by how much you close? I remember attending a seminar in the 90s on in-home sales and the presenter gave a statistic that had been studied that said salesmen that had facial hair had anywhere from a 10 to 15% less closing ratio then people that didn’t. This had been studied so there is no arguing about it. So those people with beards had to ask themselves is their beard worth $30,000 if they were making $200,000 a year. That will make you think a little. Once again sales people should be chameleons and not draw attention away from what they are trying to do and that is close a sale. That means they should dress appropriate for their profession and not stick out in any way that will be distracting. That’s my opinion based off of the dozens of sales books I’ve read, seminars I have attended and my own personal experience. Obviously many of you are looking at this from the customers perspective and what you would think of the sales person wearing a flashy watch and that opinion my friends is going to be drastically different from individual to individual. However in sales it’s a numbers game.

Instagram - patton250
Old 28 October 2021, 09:12 AM   #58
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It does when the client is among the largest retailers in the country. I’d say they’re a pretty solid company and they clearly sweat the small stuff.

The “incident” permanently changed vendor relationships. Put alotta people out of work, including me.

I’ll pm you if you’re interested, if not we’ll leave it there.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 09:45 AM   #59
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
It does when the client is among the largest retailers in the country. I’d say they’re a pretty solid company and they clearly sweat the small stuff.

The “incident” permanently changed vendor relationships. Put alotta people out of work, including me.

I think many in this thread would like you to expand on this incident. I for one am curious as to what and why this happened.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2021, 10:07 AM   #60
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Student of business.

And have learned respect for you posts. I often tend to agree with your logic. Not always. But often.

Super interested in learning more on this…