The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 September 2020, 09:14 PM   #31
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
All my significant watches were bought unseen, I rarely even drive the cars I buy before pulling the trigger.

No I am not crazy, just busy with work and if i want something i simply get it without stuffing around. I do my research before hand like any normal person and I am yet to be filled with buyers remorse.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 09:38 PM   #32
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I have bought sight unseen frequently. Sometimes you get stung, on fit particularly
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2020, 09:43 PM   #33
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Bought my 116610LV unseen from an AD. Called mostly all ADs in Canada and found one in the case out East, wired the money and two weeks later flew out to obtain! Best decision I made at that time!
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:44 AM   #34
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
I bought my prowneed milguass sight unseen, I had a DJII so I knew how it would feel on the wrist, I did buy from an AD and I was sent a bunch of photos. I am looking at buying a 16803 from the same AD
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:53 AM   #35
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
I buy sight unseen always.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:59 AM   #36
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Every watch I've ever purchased I bought sight unseen. Namely, my BLNR, 16710 Pepsi, and Tudor GMT. I'm 32 years old. I call myself HENRY - high earner, not rich yet. I do well enough that I feel comfortable purchasing luxuries without significantly sacrificing "important" things in life. Fortunately, I've never been disappointed by any of my purchases. But these are still expensive purchases and it has me wondering...

1) How many of you have purchased a watch sight unseen (photos aside) and been completely disappointed upon receipt?

2) How many of you have difficulty choosing when there are multiple color options? E.g. white vs. black dial Daytona - I used to think I wanted the white dial, and maybe that's the hype and popularity influencing my opinion, but now I'm really drawn to the black dial.

With most, if not all, SS references being absent from AD display cases, it's rather difficulty to "see" first hand whether or not I really like a watch or which color I prefer.

My peers either 1) don't make enough to feel comfortable buying luxury watches or 2) do make enough but don't care to. So I can't look to their wrists.

***disclaimer - I know what I said in my "I have everything I need" thread, but looking and admiring isn't a crime!

All of my watches - i have purchased because I have either had seen it / felt it / tried it on. That could be from store demos, friends, or other collectors. That said most of the recent transactions for my watches have been done through the phone via CC and i pick it up at my earliest convenience. So i know what I'm buying and what I'm getting into - not really sight unseen
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:00 AM   #37
deuxani
"TRF" Member

Never. I’ve had it happen too often where I knew I wanted a certain model, I decided I was going to buy it only to put it on my wrist the first time and not loving it enough. Now I try on a model at least at 2 different occasions to see if I am still in love with it.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:47 AM   #38
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Great question.

If you have a local grey dealer nearby, that’s a fantastic way to see in person. I’ve only had watches gifted that were sight unseen to me and luckily no disappointment at all.

I wonder if there is a difference amongst Rolex sight unseen purchases vs other brands (especially if new to the brand). I once considered an aquanaut purchase. When I tried it on, I wasn’t disappointed and did see the beauty of it but also knew it was not what I wanted.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:51 AM   #39
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
All but one have been bought sight unseen. There isn’t an AD within a 100 miles of me. A local jeweler was sent a brand new 116600 from an AD loosing their dealership and called me first to see if I wanted it....yep snatched it up. The AD that had the watch completed the warranty card and mailed it to me a couple days later. All other watches were purchased from trusted sellers sight unseen, no other choice really.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:56 AM   #40
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
75% of my watches were bought unseen. Thankfully they have all worked out.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 05:08 AM   #41
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I've bought both ways. Probably more like 70% sight unseen in person.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 05:13 AM   #42
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

I don't get why you had to explain you are a HENRY but I digress.

1) I've never been disappointed in a watch i bought sight unseen but there have been times I bought one and while it was nice, I knew it wasn't for me

2) With multiple color options I tend to go for black, always. Yes even the explorer II, yes even if all my watches have black dials. The only exception are dressier watches a la DJ or reverso, etc. Hype is overrated and I'm not one to jump on polar or panda or "hulk/ kermit" band wagons.

Black daytona is killer.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 05:38 AM   #43
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I want a white face daytona. Only time I've ever seen one was in passing on someone's wrist. Just a glimpse.

So I plan to buy that one sight unseen.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 06:17 AM   #44
deuxani
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
I want a white face daytona. Only time I've ever seen one was in passing on someone's wrist. Just a glimpse.

So I plan to buy that one sight unseen.
This watch is a great example of the dangers of buying unseen As soon as it was presented I knew I would go for the white dial. I’ve had the white dial on my wrist 3 times and the black dial once and guess what, I thought the black dial looked so much better in real life. Never thought that could happen based on the photos I saw on internet, but yeah. It’s a lot of money to take that risk.

Another example, I always thought the Hulk was ugly and I couldn’t imagine someone buying a green watch..... till I saw it in real life and I had to have it.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 06:42 AM   #45
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
What does this thread mean? Lol

I'm halfway through and haven't figured it out. I'm giving it 4 more posts. Haha
Old 6 September 2020, 06:45 AM   #46
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
it depends on whether the watch is local
or not. i think with enough research you won’t make big mistakes. i have purchased my current house unseen so i think watches shouldn’t be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 07:18 AM   #47
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxani View Post
This watch is a great example of the dangers of buying unseen As soon as it was presented I knew I would go for the white dial. I’ve had the white dial on my wrist 3 times and the black dial once and guess what, I thought the black dial looked so much better in real life. Never thought that could happen based on the photos I saw on internet, but yeah. It’s a lot of money to take that risk.

Another example, I always thought the Hulk was ugly and I couldn’t imagine someone buying a green watch..... till I saw it in real life and I had to have it.
Very interesting. If it were my only watch, I would likely go black.

For me I want to slim down my collection. Probably going to still have 3-4 black face watches and not a single white. Well, after I let go of my white milgsuss.

So I'm comfortable wanting a white version even without seeing it in person.

Also, I guess I did buy the Hulk unseen.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 07:21 AM   #48
THE_FOOT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tiffany OP 41mm
I'm in the uk and bought a james cameron and a polar explorer 2 from an Italian dealer, my friend brought the deep sea over for me, then mailed the explorer.
THE_FOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:27 AM   #49
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
I don't get why you had to explain you are a HENRY but I digress.
That's fine. I thought it was relevant because I don't have a gazillion dollars to just buy mistakes. While I am comfortable spending the money that I do, it's still a big deal when I do.

Like many, I do an ungodly amount of "research" online prior to purchasing - but it's just not the same as seeing something in person and trying it on first. There have already been a few members that have admitted to buying something sight unseen and being disappointed. Given the current climate of Rolex, it's difficult for most to buy at MSRP. Let's say I buy a 116500 at current grey market price but it doesn't fit me or I end up not liking it for reasons I could not tell from pictures/videos/reviews. Grey dealers often charge a little premium (as they saying goes, buy the dealer) and I probably wouldn't be able to sell it for as much as I bought it for. So I would take a loss. Can I afford to? Sure, probably. Would I prefer to? Nope, not at this bracket. It would be different if I bought a $200 watch, didn't like it, and had to sell it for $150. Wouldn't want to, of course, but it would be easier to swallow.

Quote:
1) I've never been disappointed in a watch i bought sight unseen but there have been times I bought one and while it was nice, I knew it wasn't for me
I guess we have different opinions on the definition of "disappointed."

Quote:
Black daytona is killer.
100% agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I'm halfway through and haven't figured it out. I'm giving it 4 more posts. Haha
Sounds like a you problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuxani View Post
Fully agree! The internet is littered with more photos of the white dial 116500 and it's hard to deny that it's a beauty. But when I see the black dial, I'm far more drawn to it. Let's keep it that way so the black dials remain cheaper!
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 11:01 AM   #50
Me4u2night
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
There are a few situations that I do pay a deposit.

1. If I put the watch on layaway, which I have done so I can reserve the watch and also to transfer some funds from one account to another.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Is layaway still a thing nowadays?
Me4u2night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 11:03 AM   #51
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I'll give you a tip... I try on other peoples' unworn watches in the back at Rolex all the time. Solid gold. Hard to get. You name it. Try before you buy.
Old 6 September 2020, 11:23 AM   #52
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me4u2night View Post
Is layaway still a thing nowadays?
Yes, it is in some places. I know that some big box stores have done away with it or limited its use.

My old AD had a layaway plan and I used it, as I said, to put my name on a watch so that I could juggle my finances, and usually paid it off the same day.

My used watch store has a layaway plan and I've used on numerous occasions to make sure nobody absconds with a watch while I do some research or juggle funds.

I don't buy watches unless I have the money in the bank. Usually, I only keep a couple of thousand, or less, in my checking account at any given time, so I need a little time to tidy things up.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 03:59 PM   #53
Phahrenheit
"TRF" Member

Go to Grey dealers or AD that has some on display to try on?
Phahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 05:10 PM   #54
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
I have purchased most of my Rolex unseen until collection. Luckily my AD will take down my intent to buy without a deposit and once the watch is in, I get to go and see the actual watch before paying on full. If I don't like it, then it will just be offered to the next guy.

Haven't made a bad choice of any of my Rolex so far but have bought other watches totally unseen and had to move on at a loss. Luckily I only buy sight unseen on stuff that is £1k and under.
Old 6 September 2020, 09:59 PM   #55
Rolex74
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD DJII PAM 005
I actually bought my Panerai unseen too, so I have done it twice, and maybe a 3rd time is coming for the blue 16803 sub, but the ones I bought I already knew what I was buying. I have been tossing around the idea of a YG DD, I have a found 36mm within the budget, but I really like the larger 40mm, which is not int he budget, I am quite hesitant to buy sight unseen as I do not want to get it and be disappointed.
Rolex74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:23 PM   #56
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Purchased my SD43 unseen but more importantly unworn because seeing the SD43 many times here on TRF I knew it was a beauty anyways .

I was more concerned with the unworn part with it being 43mm and the fear of it being too heavy or uncomfortable. Not like I could walk into any AD and sample it.

My BIL was wearing a 43mm something ( not sure what brand though) so I asked if I can try that size on my wrist and felt fine so I pulled the trigger with a TS here.

The second I put it on I knew I made the right choice!!
LuckyHubbyW/aDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 10:23 PM   #57
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
My 16710 was bought sight unseen BNIB from a TRF member 12 years ago.

I was in France at that time and the watch in California.

Wasn’t disappointed. But not sure I would do this nowadays.
Old 6 September 2020, 11:52 PM   #58
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
I bought my 2006 16570 sight unseen from Federico at Delray watch. I called him up one day and asked if he could locate one for me. 7 days later it was shipped and in my hands. He told me to trust him on condition and I did. Needless to say I was very happy
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 12:09 AM   #59
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Sight unseen is really only an issue to me with used watches. Brand new watches from an AD, whatever the brand, sight unseen is fine with me if the dealer is not near me.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2020, 01:15 AM   #60
goodolejr
"TRF" Member

Bought both mine sight unseen.

Last edited by goodolejr; 7 September 2020 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
goodolejr is offline   Reply With Quote