The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 January 2021, 07:03 PM   #31
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Sea master gets my vote but I do like the Tudor also

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:18 PM   #32
Polaroyster
"TRF" Member

Pelagos! No doubt. Besides it complements your collection better.
Polaroyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 07:51 PM   #33
unknown
"TRF" Member

Pelagos
Don't like the seamaster.
concerning Omega I only care about their speedsters
Old 17 January 2021, 08:01 PM   #34
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Seamaster but on the metal bracelet, it is extremely comfortable.
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:17 PM   #35
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Difficult choice.... but my vote is for the Seamaster on metal bracelet.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:30 PM   #36
Sjef1
"TRF" Member

My vote
Sjef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:39 PM   #37
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I prefer the Pelagos, and even more so when comparing pricing. I think omega pricing is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 08:39 PM   #38
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Seamaster.

Easy choice.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:02 PM   #39
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
Pelagos.
Old 17 January 2021, 09:18 PM   #40
Stoffel
Banned

I’m not a fan of the seamaster, there’s a few things I don’t like about it but by far my biggest issue is the hideous helium escape valve they just won’t get rid of.

I prefer the Pelagos between your choices but I’d only have the original black two line version. If I wanted a blue dive watch in that price range then I’d go for the Tudor BB58.
Stoffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:20 PM   #41
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze36wv View Post
Hi Everyone. Today I got to try on a Seamaster and I was truly impressed. Wow. I used to have a 2254 that I really like but thought the bezel was awful. Also, on paper this one seems massive. However, on the wrist I was really impressed and instantly loved it. I’ve had a Pelagos in the past that I sold because I thought it was a little too thick. However, I’ve always somewhat regretted it and have thought about getting it back in my collection. I really love the blue of the Pelagos. But this SMP300 blue really has me debating between the two.

What do you guys think between the two?

Neither really add a different brand to my current collection but here’s my current collection:

Hulk (keeper)
Explorer (keeper)
Speedy (keeper)
Snowflake (keeper)
BB58 (keeper)
Damasko DA46 (keeper)
SPB143
Nomos Tangente (currently posted this one for sale)

) I could never get past the UAF scalloped bezel in the Seamaster.

) The hands on the Pelagos looks like a caveman club.

* For a functional tool watch, the Pelagos wins ............... if one can get past those hands.

* For a bit more “dressy” appearance the Seamaster wins .............. if the scalloped bezel is acceptable.
Old 17 January 2021, 09:29 PM   #42
willywatch
"TRF" Member

Have owned them both.The Seamaster is a beautiful looking watch.But the Pelegos
is a true tool watch and much more practical than the Omega.Pick the one that you
like best.both are great watches.One is maybe the most beautiful diver ever made
by Omega,and the other is maybe the best tool watch made by Tudor or Rolex.
willywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 09:47 PM   #43
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Of the two watches under consideration, the Omega would be my choice. Although in truth, neither neither particularly appeal to me.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:41 PM   #44
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Seamaster in Blue, Tudor in Black. The black matte finish of the Pelagos is amazing.
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:47 PM   #45
bejzv
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
In a battle of the blues, I’d go Pelagos. Mainly because I’d prefer to wear it on bracelet. If rubber, I think I’d go SM.
Yes. This is just how it goes for me too
bejzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:48 PM   #46
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
I would go with the Tudor for the simple reason I already have a Seamaster (2010 Vancouver Olympic Seamaster). If I didn't have a Seamster already then the choice would be more difficult.
However if I did take the Seamaster the first thing I would do is change the blue rubber strap . Nothing against rubber straps but the one shown looks horrible.
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:49 PM   #47
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I prefer the Pelagos, and even more so when comparing pricing. I think omega pricing is crazy.

I have a Submariner. It’s my favorite watch. However, I always view the new Seamaster as being a bargain compared to the Submariner.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:51 PM   #48
dmash
"TRF" Member

My father was JUST in this predicament, as in, he's about to buy one of these this week.

So his stipulations were a black diver, 41-43mm, price under $5k. The obvious three choices were a Pelagos vs SMP300 vs Planet Ocean. Hated the hands on the PO so that was out immediately. When comparing the Pelagos and SMP, while the Pelagos is nice, he considered it no contest and the SMP the clear winner. The ceramic bezel, wave dial, skeleton hands, 6oclock date, see through caseback...they were all superior to him.

With him being a 'one watch' type guy, I definitely agree with him. The aesthetic of the SMP works just like a Submariner and can go from shorts/t-shirt to a suit. The Pelagos is just too much of a tool watch and better suited for a 2+ watch collection.

GL OP!
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:52 PM   #49
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
that is a tough one. i do like the seamaster and i own a blue pelagos. i was thinking of picking up the white seamaster but i need to try one on. the l2l is roughly the same so it should fit.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 10:56 PM   #50
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just to pick your brain....then do you also think Rolex pricing is crazy?

I wouldn't be able to understand how you think $5k for an Omega ceramic diver (which some would consider superior from a technical perspective) is crazy, when Rolex charges $9k for their competitor. Furthermore, the price gap actually grows larger when you can buy the Omega brand new for $4k. The Omega SMP300 is one of my default suggestions when anybody asks me for a watch suggestion around $3-$4k and I know it's going to be one of their only watches.

Just not sure how you anyone can objectively state Rolex is double the watch (as the price is 2x). That's just simple fanboy bias towards the crown. I say that as somebody who loves the Sub and will have another shortly, but I'd never claim it's *far* superior to the SMP, it's more just a personal preference with the cyclops, mercedes hand and glidelock.
Old 17 January 2021, 11:03 PM   #51
harrisonkris66
"TRF" Member

Seamaster gets my vote i just brought one in black. I like the tudor and was in the same dilemma but wqs put off the tudor after reading about reliability and build quality problems. Also thought it looked too slab like on the side view. Thats my 5 eggs
harrisonkris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:10 PM   #52
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Just to pick your brain....then do you also think Rolex pricing is crazy?

I wouldn't be able to understand how you think $5k for an Omega ceramic diver (which some would consider superior from a technical perspective) is crazy, when Rolex charges $9k for their competitor. Furthermore, the price gap actually grows larger when you can buy the Omega brand new for $4k. The Omega SMP300 is one of my default suggestions when anybody asks me for a watch suggestion around $3-$4k and I know it's going to be one of their only watches.

Just not sure how you anyone can objectively state Rolex is double the watch (as the price is 2x). That's just simple fanboy bias towards the crown. I say that as somebody who loves the Sub and will have another shortly, but I'd never claim it's far superior to the SMP, it's just a personal preference with the cyclops, mercedes hand, glidelock and value retention.

When i checked, the 43.5mm Ceramic Diver was £7k. At £3.5k I’d have a very different view. So not sure where the discrepancy is.

And no, I don’t think Rolex pricing in general is crazy. I own both, and I think the Rolex feels like a more premium product. I also think that there modern Omega’s lend themselves a little too much to current fashion/trends so not convinced that the designs will stand the test of time. Clearly the Speedmaster is an exception and the latest references look terrific, and i did recently recommend to a friend who was looking to spend that kind of money and wanted a Chrono.

I personally put Omega somewhere between Tudor and Rolex, and at somewhere between £3.5k and £5.5k they are a very attractive proposition. But more than that, not for me.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 17 January 2021, 11:16 PM   #53
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Tough call but I would go with the Pelagos. I have owned both but the Pelagos is less repetitive in my collection.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:23 PM   #54
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I prefer Rolex/Tudor aesthetics over omega (sans speedy) any day of the week. That said I haven’t seen this SMP in person yet, but if it looks quite nice...... seems I need to make a trip to my omega ad

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2021, 11:31 PM   #55
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When i checked, the 43.5mm Ceramic Diver was £7k. At £3.5k I’d have a very different view. So not sure where the discrepancy is.

And no, I don’t think Rolex pricing in general is crazy. I own both, and I think the Rolex feels like a more premium product. I also think that there modern Omega’s lend themselves a little too much to current fashion/trends so not convinced that the designs will stand the test of time. Clearly the Speedmaster is an exception and the latest references look terrific, and i did recently recommend to a friend who was looking to spend that kind of money and wanted a Chrono.

I personally put Omega somewhere between Tudor and Rolex, and at somewhere between £3.5k and £5.5k they are a very attractive proposition. But more than that, not for me.

It’s 4.45kGBP.....

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...21030422001001

And that’s pure retail. You can find them cheaper EASY.

That’s why I’m saying I fail to understand how you think it’s not worth it. When I can grab this watch brand new for 3.5kGBP that’s a very, very nice watch IMO.
Old 17 January 2021, 11:54 PM   #56
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I do t have either but reviewing specs and technology, seems the seamaster is comparable to the sub, if not better according to some!
So I would vote the omega over the Tudor here
Old 17 January 2021, 11:57 PM   #57
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Omega for me. Really don’t like the Tudor hands
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:14 AM   #58
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

It’s a tight race for me. In a vacuum I choose the Pelagos because I slightly prefer its design and vibe. However, in the context of your collection I’d go with the Seamaster — you’ve already got the Hulk and BB58 representing that brand lineage.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 12:30 AM   #59
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
It’s 4.45kGBP.....

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...21030422001001

And that’s pure retail. You can find them cheaper EASY.

That’s why I’m saying I fail to understand how you think it’s not worth it. When I can grab this watch brand new for 3.5kGBP that’s a very, very nice watch IMO.

Not sure why you fail to understand, I’ve just explained it. I was looking at a different model. This model at £4.5k is a decent buy, and probably a reasonable premium over the Pelagos.

Old 18 January 2021, 12:40 AM   #60
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Both solid choices.
You've been down the Pelagos road.
Give the SMP a try. Looks much better on bracelet as opposed to the rubber strap.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote