The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2021, 01:29 AM   #1
IanV8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Tudor GMT

I'm fortunate to have amongst my small collection of Rolex a BLRO but, although I wear all of my watches so they are by no means 'safe queens', I am careful that they don't get too beaten up.

With that in mind, I was looking at the Tudor GMT for frequent wear as it's close in looks to the BLRO (which I absolutely love) and I wouldn't feel quite so bad if it got a little more wear and tear. Seeking experiences/opinions of those on here who own a Tudor GMT.
IanV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:37 AM   #2
Viking
"TRF" Member

I have owned both a Tudor GMT and 16710 BLRO. I sold the Tudor because it was too big, thick, and heavy, and I was disappointed with repeated date change issues.

More importantly, I owned both of these watches for a short period of time, and when I put them next to each other for comparison, the 16710 was clearly the more stunning piece. IMO, it is superior to the Tudor GMT in every way. It has a better size (mostly the thickness), the aluminum bezel colors are more sharp, the bracelet is better looking and lighter, the movement work better (particularly the date change), and the dial simply has more pop. I don't miss the Tudor.

Thus, I think you might be disappointed with the Tudor GMT if you also own a BLRO, even if you just use it for occasions when you want to keep your BLRO safe.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:51 AM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
I have owned both a Tudor GMT and 16710 BLRO. I sold the Tudor because it was too big, thick, and heavy, and I was disappointed with repeated date change issues.

More importantly, I owned both of these watches for a short period of time, and when I put them next to each other for comparison, the 16710 was clearly the more stunning piece. IMO, it is superior to the Tudor GMT in every way. It has a better size (mostly the thickness), the aluminum bezel colors are more sharp, the bracelet is better looking and lighter, the movement work better (particularly the date change), and the dial simply has more pop. I don't miss the Tudor.

Thus, I think you might be disappointed with the Tudor GMT if you also own a BLRO, even if you just use it for occasions when you want to keep your BLRO safe.
Respectfully disagree w/ Greg. I own both as well and since buying the BB GMT the 16710 rests comfortably in the case.

The BB GMT has become my favorite watch. Freakishly accurate, smoothest winding of any watch I've owned, and perfect size for my 7.25" wrist. The combination of boxed sapphire crystal, muted Pepsi bezel, & stair step taper bracelet give it a stunning vintage vibe w/ modern construction.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290308_1024.jpg (208.3 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290312_1024.jpg (264.9 KB, 646 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:59 AM   #4
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Has the date issue been resolved ?
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:00 AM   #5
holdingon
"TRF" Member

no its not solved. I think this is lemon and will be revised soon.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:29 AM   #6
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
I happened to look at the Tudor GMT yesterday while at the AD. Tried one on with the NATO because AD did not have one on bracelet. I like it but not sure it will satisfy my craving for the Rolex Pepsi. It was a bit bulky. Also tried on the blue BB58. Looks beautiful but a bit small.

What’s wrong with the date issue?
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 02:36 AM   #7
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I have owned the Tudor GMT twice. I really want to like it. But also being an owner of other Rolex GMT’s it just never got any wrist time. You can certainly love the Tudor for what it is. And it’s a fantastic watch. But I’d you’re looking for it to keep up with your BLRO I think you’ll be disappointed like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 January 2021, 02:54 AM   #8
IanV8
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the responses. I was looking at the Tudor GMT because I love the BLRO and thought the Tudor might be a good 'daily' as a compromise. I'd like to try something in the Tudor range as I've never had one and they seem to be good value compared to other brands in the price bracket. I've even considered the P01 which seems to seriously divide opinion but my rule is that I buy what I like. I'd need to see the P01 on my wrist first.

Your first hand experiences of the GMT are much appreciated and I guess I could try the GMT and if I didn't get along with it give it to my son or daughter to see if they did.

Just occurred to me, while writing this, I feel a little uncomfortable considering a £3k purchase as "if I don't like it, I'll just give it away". I think that I need to give my head a bit of a shake!
Old 18 January 2021, 03:45 AM   #9
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I say go for it. I’ve recently picked up my second Tudor GMT. Suffered the date wheel issue and got messed about by the AD with my first so I sold it. Missed having it in the collection so grabbed another a few weeks back.

Pros for me are design and function - date, GMT, power reserve and WR add to a nice package. Accuracy is great and I also really like the leather strap and deployant clasp. The watch also works well on a variety of straps. As you say £3k is a chunk of change but in the current market, the watch does offer great value when you look at competitors.

Cons - I didn’t like the steel bracelet. Didn’t feel as elegant as my Rolex models and hated the fact the micro adjust offering was poor and no on the go adjust. Another con is that it’s still unknown as to whether or not the date issue is resolved. From my brief research before second time purchase, there are reports that 2020 movements used in the Q serial models are good - but take that with a pinch of salt.

Some say the watch is a bit chunky, and I get their point, but I quite like the extra little bit of heft and it adds to the robustness of the watch. Like you’ve suggested you might do too, I wear mine more as a beater and the proportions of the watch work well in this respect. Whilst the watch is bigger than say my sub, it’s by no means unwearable or disproportionately big - it’s just designed this way and it’s subjective as to whether you think that’s a good or bad thing.

These are pretty easy to pick up at ADs so you should be able to try one on pretty easy once we’re out of lockdown. A few jewellers are also now offering Tudor for home delivery which is the route I opted for second time round.

Good luck & keep us posted!

nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:04 AM   #10
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I'd be a bit wary, still, of the Tudor date-change issue.
(And never risk buying an older one from a Gray dealer!)

Several posters have reported the bracelet would not 'accommodate" them too well.

I was originally turned off buying that model when the date-change issues popped up here at TRF and over at WUS.

I ended up with another brand GMT and could not be happier. I am actually happy now that I was encouraged to look elsewhere.

Tudor has received a lot of negative press for their "seeming" inability to deal with the issue early on, and it has dragged on for quite a while.

The question is: Is it really fixed now, or not?

On the other hand, my Tudor Pelagos LHD is absolute perfection, is my second-favorite watch, and it gets a LOT of arm time. It is a great Tudor model.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:06 AM   #11
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

I bought a Tudor Pepsi as a placeholder until I bought a Rolex BLRO. Now that I own the Rolex there is no way I could part with the Tudor! A beautiful, uncluttered look. The bezel colors, substantial bracelet, time accuracy, vintage appearance! I rotate my Rolex BLRO, BLNR and Tudor when I fly as a commercial airline pilot. Depending on the locations I fly to the Tudor is a watch of choice. It's a do-everything watch. I fly with mine, swim, dive, hike, etc.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:08 AM   #12
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Dan Pierce! I so enjoy the pictures you post and watch comments!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:10 AM   #13
IanV8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
I say go for it. I’ve recently picked up my second Tudor GMT. Suffered the date wheel issue and got messed about by the AD with my first so I sold it. Missed having it in the collection so grabbed another a few weeks back.

Pros for me are design and function - date, GMT, power reserve and WR add to a nice package. Accuracy is great and I also really like the leather strap and deployant clasp. The watch also works well on a variety of straps. As you say £3k is a chunk of change but in the current market, the watch does offer great value when you look at competitors.

Cons - I didn’t like the steel bracelet. Didn’t feel as elegant as my Rolex models and hated the fact the micro adjust offering was poor and no on the go adjust. Another con is that it’s still unknown as to whether or not the date issue is resolved. From my brief research before second time purchase, there are reports that 2020 movements used in the Q serial models are good - but take that with a pinch of salt.

Some say the watch is a bit chunky, and I get their point, but I quite like the extra little bit of heft and it adds to the robustness of the watch. Like you’ve suggested you might do too, I wear mine more as a beater and the proportions of the watch work well in this respect. Whilst the watch is bigger than say my sub, it’s by no means unwearable or disproportionately big - it’s just designed this way and it’s subjective as to whether you think that’s a good or bad thing.

These are pretty easy to pick up at ADs so you should be able to try one on pretty easy once we’re out of lockdown. A few jewellers are also now offering Tudor for home delivery which is the route I opted for second time round.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Thanks, that's really helpful. Love that strap!
Old 18 January 2021, 04:10 AM   #14
jackminny15
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changin'
It’s heavy. It’s thick. If you’re ok with those things it’s a fine watch — assuming you don’t get one with the date-wheel problem. I had one, no issues, but just couldn’t get past the weight and thickness and sold it off.
jackminny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:24 AM   #15
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
GMT owner here, love everything about it except the micro-adjustments aren't quite enough to find the perfect setting. That's where I still feel Rolex has a huge edge as it pertains to their glidelock bracelet. No issues with date-wheel (Q - from 2020).

Don't give it a second thought in trying to beat the brakes off this thing as an enjoyable daily.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:29 AM   #16
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I think the Tudor GMT is a fine watch worthy of being bought and worn on its own merit. But I have a feeling if you are getting it to use as a “beater” version of the BLRO, you may not appreciate it. I’d personally just wear the heck out of the BLRO.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:38 AM   #17
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
One GMT is enough !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:39 AM   #18
bremersm
Banned

I have owned mine since May of 2019 and have had no issues. I bought mine on the second hand market and have no issues with the date. The watch is a strap monster as the kids say these days. I could afford a a Submariner Or a GMT Master II but with the Tudor in my opinion is the best of both worlds.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:41 AM   #19
Davidt
"TRF" Member

Isn’t part of the attraction to Rolex that if maintained, their watches are robust, built like tanks and will last a life time or two?

I don’t see the issue with wearing a BLRO every day.
If scratches are an issue (I quite like them) - get it polished at service every few years.
If you smash a crystal or a bezel - it’s a new watch and parts are available.
I’d just wear the hell out of it and not worry about it. .

The Tudor GMT is a lovely watch and should be considered on its own merit, not a disposable substitute for something else.
Davidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 04:46 AM   #20
IanV8
"TRF" Member

TRF at its best. Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited by IanV8; 18 January 2021 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 18 January 2021, 04:57 AM   #21
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I really like the BB GMT, value for money its incredible. My biggest problem was I found the watch uncomfortable on my wrists, I think its just a bit too big for me, and it felt like it was digging in to my wrist... Im actually currently trying to sell it, if it wasn't for that I would wear it probably the most out of my collection.

Also the date issue has now been resolved apparently on the newer releases of this model.
Old 18 January 2021, 05:53 AM   #22
Rollieboo23
Banned

Got mines 02/2020. And it’s running fine.

I don’t know why everyone is saying it’s “too big”. It’s fine to me and i don’t have the biggest wrist either
Rollieboo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 05:55 AM   #23
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Tudor GMT

I really like the BB GMT and would own one myself had I not already owned another.

My only gripe with the Tudor GMT from trying it on for a week are as follows. It is quite the chunker (thick at 14.5mm) but the sides are beveled so they do not appear so visually. What did bug me was the Oyster style bracelet with its rudimentary 3 slot micro adjustment. With permission, I took that off and wore it on a NATO and it worked great essentially the same comfortable experience wearing my BB ETA. For the record, I have 6.5in wrist. However, the bracelet of the Black Bay series of watches (marketed as diving watches) are poorly designed due to the lack of adjustment systems such as divers link. At their price point, it is inexcusable as lower priced dive watches have superior adjustment systems (i.e Sinn, Seiko, Oris)

I never experienced the date issue for the week I wore it. My friend has owned the watch for a year on my recommendation and has never noticed any date issue. His was purchased January 2020. I find that a lot of the complaints are anecdotal or people who do not actually own the watch and simply parrot the issue due to Tudor resentment. Also, the people asking for recalls need to ask themselves when has Rolex themselves ever admitted fault in any of their movements?

What I love about the watch includes the matte dial, the full red GMT hand, the 48 click Bezel vs Rolex 24 click, the subdued Red/Blue combo on the aluminum bezel, the large winding crown, and the fact that it is a “true GMT”
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:22 AM   #24
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieboo23 View Post
Got mines 02/2020. And it’s running fine.

I don’t know why everyone is saying it’s “too big”. It’s fine to me and i don’t have the biggest wrist either
Actually I should have worded my point better, because you’re right it’s not too big. It is too thick and too top heavy though, for me personally.
Old 18 January 2021, 06:38 AM   #25
kizerman
Banned

I've also owned both and the Tudor GMT is disappointing. Even without the date issue, it is too think and I could never get it to sit comfortably on my wrist, something that many others complained about also.

The rivets on the bracelet were a negative for me also. I could never warm up to them.
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 06:47 AM   #26
ScrantonStrangler
"TRF" Member

I owned one for several months, and honestly really liked it. I've got 7.25" wrists and it wore nicely, but was too thick...put it on a NATO and the damn thing was like a doorknob magnet. I never had date change problems, but it sucks that they can't (won't) confirm that the issue has been fixed.

I'm hoping they'll make a BB58 GMT, though I'm not holding my breath. They'd probably have to design a smaller GMT movement with datewheel to fit in the 39mm case, I'm not sure if the current movement would fit. A 39mm Tudor GMT with date would be killer.
ScrantonStrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 11:48 AM   #27
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

I have the Tudor, had the Rolex...a few times.

The Tudor hits the spot for me in terms of the toolwatch feel that drew me to sports watches so long ago. I also prefer the size. I wear it often. It's a rugged watch and mine has taken a few knocks and just keeps on looking better and ticking away flawlessly. I don't baby it and it does exactly what it should do without drama. Great watch, if you ask me.
Old 18 January 2021, 01:16 PM   #28
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
I have the BB GMT, I wear it generally as a travelling watch, tend to wear my Seamaster as a daily as it wears comfier.

GMT is quite a bulky unit. Mine had the date issue, was sent to RSC London and they replaced the movement, its been fine since.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2021, 01:33 PM   #29
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I really like the Tudor GMT. I especially like the design of the bracelet with rivets. Great looking watch!!
Old 18 January 2021, 01:37 PM   #30
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
The question is: Is it really fixed now, or not?
I’m curious about that, too. Someone on WUS said the chatter about date wheel issues is a lot less recently on FB Tudor groups, so it’s possible that the newer, maybe 2020 models, either don’t have the problem or it’s become rare enough that few people are complaining.

Now about the issues with the 32xx movements . . .
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote