The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 January 2021, 04:05 PM   #1
porky51
"TRF" Member

Question on 214270 MK1 RSC service experience

Hi, I own a 2014 214270 MK1 version and wondering if anyone has sent theirs in to RSC for service yet.

I read that the RSC will update the dial and hands to the MK2 automatically. Is this true? Or does the RSC gives you the option to choose between keeping it original or updating it?

What was your experience for having it serviced?

Thanks for sharing your comments.
porky51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:12 PM   #2
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by porky51 View Post
Hi, I own a 2014 214270 MK1 version and wondering if anyone has sent theirs in to RSC for service yet.

I read that the RSC will update the dial and hands to the MK2 automatically. Is this true? Or does the RSC gives you the option to choose between keeping it original or updating it?

What was your experience for having it serviced?

Thanks for sharing your comments.
Fellow 214270 MK1 owner here. I’m also curious to hear responses to this. I’d certainly ask RSC to keep the original dial and hands.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 05:17 PM   #3
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I think the change of dial and hands would be at the owner's request.
If one stipulates no dial and hand change as they are to be retained at service time. It won't happen unless Rolex makes an outright mistake.

There's no need to change the dial and hands unless they're actually damaged.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2021, 11:33 PM   #4
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I think the change of dial and hands would be at the owner's request.
If one stipulates no dial and hand change as they are to be retained at service time. It won't happen unless Rolex makes an outright mistake.

There's no need to change the dial and hands unless they're actually damaged.
Agreed. I don’t believe they’d change dial and hands unless the originals were damaged. The Mark I’s weren’t considered defective so no need to swap them out.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2021, 12:01 AM   #5
winst
"TRF" Member

If you wanted to put the MK2 hands on you might get lucky if your AD had a Rolex parts account and watchmaker and were prepared to do it, but to try and end a debate on the matter recently, I contacted Rolex London RSC in December asking if I had a 2012 MK1 and sent it in for service could I have just the hands changed to MK2 but they said no, but I could have a MK2 Dial and hands put on. Costs were as follows:

Service - £550
Dial & Hand Exchange to convert to MK2 - £450

Total cost £1000. Then, I also asked if I could keep the original dial and hands once they had replaced them to which they replied by all means yes but that would add 50% to the cost of the dial and hand exchange so another £225. So if I had a MK1 Explorer 214270 which I had owned from new and would have purchased for significantly less than the current price now and when it was due for service and I preferred the MK2 look but had the opportunity to keep the Original MK1 Dial and Hands should the watch be more desirable and valuable with them on in the future would I do it, yes I definitely would.
winst is online now   Reply With Quote