The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2021, 12:48 AM   #121
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Why would they do that? It's simply an advertised asking price, not an auction result.

At some point, there will be a stigma associated with wearing a white Daytona because people will wonder if you were fool enough to pay $20k. Peoplenwill start carrying their AD reciepts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yup, the watch itself will start to get a “$50 McDonald hamburger” or “sucker” vibe. A high street value doesn’t always equal real world prestige in many over inflated goods. After awhile it works against it.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 01:06 AM   #122
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Nahhh it’s 99.99% of Daytona owners love what they are seeing! The only question is whether to entertain the thought of letting it go.
True... I do love seeing these high grey market prices.

Nice to know I won't lose money on the MSRP paid back in 2017

Letting go at these prices? Nope, no plans to sell even if skyrocketed up even more.

All my watch purchases are "fun" money and have never relied on those funds and never will.
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 01:16 AM   #123
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
The truth is the sun still rises from the east and sets at the west
Old 26 March 2021, 01:24 AM   #124
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX* View Post
The truth is the sun still rises from the east and sets at the west
Assuming you are on Earth sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 01:29 AM   #125
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
True... I do love seeing these high grey market prices.

Nice to know I won't lose money on the MSRP paid back in 2017

Letting go at these prices? Nope, no plans to sell even if skyrocketed up even more.

All my watch purchases are "fun" money and have never relied on those funds and never will.
I do as well. I’ve no plans to sell mine but I must admit if it does hit Nautilus prices +/- 105k or if it hits 150k...... never say never tbh.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 01:52 AM   #126
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

To the moon!

Back then, I didn’t foresee any true roadblocks to ascending valuation for these.

Plenty of money flooding into passion assets...so much so that the difference between $38k and say $50k isn’t an issue in any way...except for FOMO motivation to buy now...but the brakes won’t be hit on these for awhile..

In other words, in the current market, it’s much more about obtaining the watch than the money...I mean what else would they use it for

Have to agree the people who are paying 38-40K for these now are not going to flinch at 50K. The money is not the issue as you say its getting the watch on their wrist is all that counts.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 01:59 AM   #127
Db7566
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
So much bitterness...

The market price is the market price. Same for a steak, a pair of jeans, or a Birkin.

There is nobody to “blame”. Nobody is forcing anybody to play. Nobody cares if you only buy at MSRP. Nobody cares if you paid $50k over retail for that Seiko. None of this will change a thing.

Either play the AD game, or the market game. Take your pick. If you genuinely want the watch, buy the damn thing. You only have to answer to the person staring back in the mirror. Or, your significant other

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 March 2021, 02:09 AM   #128
vh2k
"TRF" Member

I love how DAVIDSW is in this thread monitoring all the comments... and sitting back and laughing.

He raises prices $200-400 every week and he gets a ton of free publicity every time he tests the price elasticity of these models. Love it!

Come on, David... say Hi to your loyal and fanatical followers.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 02:40 AM   #129
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
I love how DAVIDSW is in this thread monitoring all the comments... and sitting back and laughing.

He raises prices $200-400 every week and he gets a ton of free publicity every time he tests the price elasticity of these models. Love it!

That Ferrari ain't cheap...
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 02:41 AM   #130
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:

Wise man...
Old 26 March 2021, 02:43 AM   #131
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

Good for David - you are the best! If you are listening, please get me the hulk at 10k!
Old 26 March 2021, 02:47 AM   #132
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Can I ask why does everyone here love David so much?
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 02:48 AM   #133
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
For all those that continually say the Daytona is a crazy price on the grey market, and you’d have to be nuts to pay that money, it’s worth remembering that for every one of you, there are thousands that think we’re all nuts for paying the ‘retail price’ for a watch!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 02:49 AM   #134
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
For all those that continually say the Daytona is a crazy price on the grey market, and you’d have to be nuts to pay that money, it’s worth remembering that for every one of you, there are thousands that think we’re all nuts for paying the ‘retail price’ for a watch!!

This

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 02:58 AM   #135
turkeysub93
"TRF" Member

Not sure how much of a bubble this actually is as at the end of the day this is a tangible good that lasts decades if not maybe a century so the value can be retained or transferred. Tulips are literally flowers that start wilting and die after a few days so the tulip-mania comments don't really connect.

Also take into account the tulips were selling at multiples of the average workers salary. The Daytona is slightly above average salary (31K) but still well under what imagine (at the risk of sounding arrogant or pompous) the average salary of those in the market to buy Rolex or multiple Rolex watches.

Also don't think you can compare the Panerai boom with this Rolex boom as they are two different case studies. Panerai whored themselves out with limited editions ad nauseam whereas Rolex watches are very timeless pieces that don't change much other than minor tweaks and 50 year anniversary pieces.

There is substantially more wealth today than a decade ago so doesn't it make sense that less watches from a luxury watch manufacturer (albeit one that produces watches in the hundreds of thousands) would be available for purchase? Particularly those that have a classic design and from a brand with as much clout tin the marketplace that Rolex has?

Bit of a tangent...wear whatever the hell you want if it makes you happy and doesn't compromise your financial wellbeing otherwise. Nice to to get away from work emails from a bit...
turkeysub93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 03:33 AM   #136
Driver8
"TRF" Member

All I will say on this is that people need to be mindful of the fact that, a) these are luxury goods that pretty much serve no purpose other than being items of enjoyment, so you should only buy one if you can afford for the value to crash down to nothing. And b) you need to be mindful that the secondary market price for anything can change dramatically overnight.

With that in mind, and provided they satisfy themselves of those two points above, then if someone wants to pay $38k for a Daytona, I say good luck to them. Personally I have FAR better things to spend $38k on, but if $38k is pocket-change to some people and they absolutely HAVE to have a Daytona on their wrist, then who am I to argue?

What I do have an issue with is when people struggle to pay the asking price, but do it anyway in the silly belief that prices will just continue upwards forever. Of course, the prices MAY keep going up, but likewise they may fall. No-one has a crystal ball, so just be careful.

To give a personal example, back in 2007 I bought an 16610LV from my AD. At the time I waited a whole 4 months for it, which back then was frankly unheard of, as it was probably the first Rolex that was massively in demand and "hard to get". For some reason I never gelled with it, and about a year later I looked to sell it, but after speaking to a couple of watch dealers I knew, I found out that Rolex had decided to release quite a few more LV's onto the market in recent months before later discontinuing it, and as a result the previously massively in demand LV suddenly wasn't in demand any more. So much so (and I kid you not) a dealer I spoke to said I'd be better off swapping the green bezel for a black one as "the green ones have been flooded and no one wants them now". I didn't swap the bezel and in the end I sold it for a loss.

My point is that the LV was hugely in demand...right up until it wasn't. OK, it's now back in demand again, but all this nonsense around value gains should be taken with a pinch of salt. You shouldn't be buying if you can't afford to lose it.

If you can wait, buy at an AD. If you can't wait but can EASILY afford to buy at a grey, then buy grey. If you can't wait and can't afford the grey prices, then ya just gotta move along because paying $38k for something that the manufacturer says is worth about a 3rd of that is madness (unless $38k is pocket change to you).
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 03:37 AM   #137
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman37 View Post
He's considered the gold standard of the secondary reseller experience. You pay $500-1,000 more than other places... but you have 100% assurance you will get exactly as described within 24 hours. His reputation is second to none!

[D - Please don't forget to PM me that $1,000 discount code.]
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 04:18 AM   #138
T01
"TRF" Member

Crazy.
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 04:18 AM   #139
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by collarcity View Post
Don't blame the greys. Blame the buyers.
Exactly!!!
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 04:32 AM   #140
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911_3.6 View Post
The hype over the $38K stickered Daytona has overshadowed the real story here.

Newsflash! Explorer 2 Polar dial reaches $15,000.

Simple supply and demand story here and right now, Rolex sports models are hard to get. The stickers on this one add a premium, but curious to see if the next one without stickers is listed at $38K as well.
Newsflash - no it hasn't - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=794676

...unless you purposefully try to look for the most expensive and hyped listings.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 05:37 AM   #141
911_3.6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Newsflash - no it hasn't - https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=794676

...unless you purposefully try to look for the most expensive and hyped listings.
Just to clarify, the link above is for a 6 year old used watch with scratches and wear noted. Just a few months ago, $10,250 got you an unworn Polar not a used one.

I was referring to the new and unworn Polar Explorer 2 at DavidSW listed for $14,875.

Like all SS models, prices are increasing as demand outgrows the supply, but it seems like just a few weeks ago, $12,000 got you an unworn Explorer 2.
911_3.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 06:29 AM   #142
Madman37
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He's considered the gold standard of the secondary reseller experience. You pay $500-1,000 more than other places... but you have 100% assurance you will get exactly as described within 24 hours. His reputation is second to none!

[D - Please don't forget to PM me that $1,000 discount code.]
I have a grey seller here in UK who does this at better prices. For the prices he charges and the way everyone bangs on about him I thought he has a red carpet prepared with drinks a meal etc when you make a purchase.
Madman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 06:38 AM   #143
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Love seeing the price increase <-- Just for the fun of it

Love mine, but... it isn't a $40k watch.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 07:04 AM   #144
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Making all the 116520 go crazy also.....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 07:17 AM   #145
Anton911
Banned

Watch: Daytona,hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Making all the 116520 go crazy also.....
This,oh yes.
Anton911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 08:37 AM   #146
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Love seeing the price increase &lt;-- Just for the fun of it

Love mine, but... it isn't a $40k watch.
Not sure what that means. It's worth what people are willing to pay for it. That's called the market.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 11:47 AM   #147
poliwog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
All I will say on this is that people need to be mindful of the fact that, a) these are luxury goods that pretty much serve no purpose other than being items of enjoyment, so you should only buy one if you can afford for the value to crash down to nothing. And b) you need to be mindful that the secondary market price for anything can change dramatically overnight.

With that in mind, and provided they satisfy themselves of those two points above, then if someone wants to pay $38k for a Daytona, I say good luck to them. Personally I have FAR better things to spend $38k on, but if $38k is pocket-change to some people and they absolutely HAVE to have a Daytona on their wrist, then who am I to argue?

What I do have an issue with is when people struggle to pay the asking price, but do it anyway in the silly belief that prices will just continue upwards forever. Of course, the prices MAY keep going up, but likewise they may fall. No-one has a crystal ball, so just be careful.

To give a personal example, back in 2007 I bought an 16610LV from my AD. At the time I waited a whole 4 months for it, which back then was frankly unheard of, as it was probably the first Rolex that was massively in demand and "hard to get". For some reason I never gelled with it, and about a year later I looked to sell it, but after speaking to a couple of watch dealers I knew, I found out that Rolex had decided to release quite a few more LV's onto the market in recent months before later discontinuing it, and as a result the previously massively in demand LV suddenly wasn't in demand any more. So much so (and I kid you not) a dealer I spoke to said I'd be better off swapping the green bezel for a black one as "the green ones have been flooded and no one wants them now". I didn't swap the bezel and in the end I sold it for a loss.

My point is that the LV was hugely in demand...right up until it wasn't. OK, it's now back in demand again, but all this nonsense around value gains should be taken with a pinch of salt. You shouldn't be buying if you can't afford to lose it.

If you can wait, buy at an AD. If you can't wait but can EASILY afford to buy at a grey, then buy grey. If you can't wait and can't afford the grey prices, then ya just gotta move along because paying $38k for something that the manufacturer says is worth about a 3rd of that is madness (unless $38k is pocket change to you).
Much as I agree with you, your comparison about the LV is pretty irrelevant in today's market. There was no social media back then, no instagram whatsoever.

Most of the hype there is today is inflated by what people post online. For all we know, even the 116520s in pristine condition would probably soon be approaching the $30k mark.
poliwog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 12:05 PM   #148
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've often wondered this myself.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 12:44 PM   #149
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Cool story.
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 12:51 PM   #150
Milibrk@
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He owns a Ferrari.
Milibrk@ is offline   Reply With Quote