The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 April 2021, 05:35 AM   #1
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

Want to help with a tough decision? It could be fun...

Ready to play?

Okay, so here’s the situation. I’m a pretty big guy and I have a large wrist, so about 8 to 10 years ago when large watches were having a moment I was totally there for it. I got really into Panerai and Breitling.

Okay, so as time passed my tastes changed and 3.5 years ago I bought a Speedy, which quickly became my favorite watch. Then, for my 40th birthday I splurged and bought myself a ceramic Submariner with date. It’s literally perfect in just about every way.

So I still have a Breitling Navitimer World, and at 46mm it just feels like a monster on my wrist now. I’ve decided to sell that bad boy and replace it with something else. I’ve got it narrowed down to two options, and I’ll provide some pro’s and con’s below, but I’d love any help, opinions, and perspectives you all can/want to provide.

In terms of what might fit best in my collection, you’ll need to know my collection:
- Ceramic sub
- PAM 292 (black ceramic radiomir)
- Bell & Ross Vintage BR126
- Speedy
- Navitimer World (Being replaced)

Option 1: Tudor GMT
I’d likely get it on the Tudor cloth strap since I don’t love the bracelet, and I have the sub on the world’s most perfect bracelet
I know this watch has been problematic for some, but I have only heard good things about Tudor’s willingness to fix anything under warranty, so I’m not so concerned about the date wheel issue. I just really like the watch.

Pro’s - It’s a beautiful, rugged looking watch, I’m replacing a GMT, and this is a GMT, I think it will look great on vintage leather and other aftermarket straps, unlike my sub with the chunky lugs, would be a great summer watch due to water resistance and easy strap options

Con’s - It’s another sport watch, it could have issues (but I’d be fine with a wait for service if I had to), I don’t really love the Tudor bracelet, and I’m conflicted because I basically think you should always buy things on the bracelet (convince me I’m wrong please)

Option 2: Breitling Navitimer black face, white outer ring42mm (one of the older models)
I originally thought I’d trade or sell the World for a smaller Navitimer, but then I got to looking around...

Pro’s - It’s beautiful and totally iconic, it’s a casual watch that can easily go dressy with a suit or blazer, Breitling’s modified valjoux movement is basically bulletproof, and it generally looks okay on aftermarket straps, but not fantastic

Con’s - It’s a busy face, not a GMT, I don’t like the bracelet (never liked the bracelet for my World either), the Breitling leather straps are too short for my wrist, and it’s not a rugged watch in a world where I rarely dress up

Okay, I’m sure I could go on, but this is already a long post and I really want to have some fun hearing from you all!

What would you do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yisrael42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 06:35 AM   #2
WalterE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many says wife
What I'd do? Explorer 2 226570, particularly as this year is its 50th anniversary.
It's versatile (great bracelet and wears straps well), rugged, with strong personality and a GMT
WalterE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 06:38 AM   #3
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Breitling Navitimer seems to play a special role in your journey... so that is the answer. Don’t listen to everyone with their irrelevant Rolex recommendations.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 06:42 AM   #4
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

My take on TRF is that the Tudor GMT date issue has been pretty much resolved if you’re going to purchase new from an AD (& given the issue, I would only do new via AD).

Do you need a GMT? Is an aluminum bezel to your liking? You may not be happy with that after the ceramic on the Sub. The GMT looks fantastic with several kinds of straps, and I’ve always been told to buy a watch with bracelet- cheaper than buying with a strap if you ever want the bracelet.

I think it’s a great watch, especially since you have a large wrist. Too big for me. Not a fan of Breitling, though reliability seems to be getting better.

YMMV, no bad choice here.
Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 07:06 AM   #5
Master_Grogu
Banned

Not a fan of either to be frank. Depending of your budget, I would look elsewhere.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 07:26 AM   #6
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Neither, I’d look at GS for a change and some real perfection
Old 11 April 2021, 07:32 AM   #7
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterE View Post
What I'd do? Explorer 2 226570, particularly as this year is its 50th anniversary.
It's versatile (great bracelet and wears straps well), rugged, with strong personality and a GMT
+1 This, or the most recent previous iteration of the Exp II. Rugged no-nonsense with GMT function, and looks great on a big wrist.

Otherwise, Tudor GMT is a solid choice.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 09:44 AM   #8
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

If those were my only 2 options, I’d go Tudor.
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:05 AM   #9
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
A classic Navitimer has a place in any collection. I don't know if you've looked into the logistics of selling your current Breitling, but if you check out the Breitling website, you'll find they have a trade in program. You provide the required information to Breitling and they give you a trade in offer, which, if you accept, you can apply to the purchase of a new Breitling.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:19 AM   #10
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

I am also a large mammal with huge wrists. I own two Rolex GMTs and a Sub. But at this exact moment I am wearing a spectacular Tudor GMT on bracelet. What's not to like about the bracelet? It's brushed, substantial and balances the watch nicely. The aluminum bezel's colors are incredible. 41mm is a sweet spot and the dial looks large because of the smaller sized aluminum bezel. Complaints about PCL on the Rolex GMTs are answered by purchasing a Tudor GMT. I strongly recommend this watch. I have owned mine for 3 years. Never an issue and keeps time as well as any of my Rolex. I also own two Breitlings and prefer my Tudor GMT over both.
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:21 AM   #11
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

And no cyclops to boot if that is your preference! A great under the radar watch I wear in situations where the Rolex with its cyclops and jubilee bracelet would attract too much attention.
Old 11 April 2021, 10:45 AM   #12
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
+1 This, or the most recent previous iteration of the Exp II. Rugged no-nonsense with GMT function, and looks great on a big wrist.

Otherwise, Tudor GMT is a solid choice.

I guess I should have mentioned that I’m not trying to add a bunch of funds to the purchase. An Explorer or Rolex of any kind is out of the question for this particular deal.

Old 11 April 2021, 10:46 AM   #13
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 Stealth View Post
I am also a large mammal with huge wrists. I own two Rolex GMTs and a Sub. But at this exact moment I am wearing a spectacular Tudor GMT on bracelet. What's not to like about the bracelet? It's brushed, substantial and balances the watch nicely. The aluminum bezel's colors are incredible. 41mm is a sweet spot and the dial looks large because of the smaller sized aluminum bezel. Complaints about PCL on the Rolex GMTs are answered by purchasing a Tudor GMT. I strongly recommend this watch. I have owned mine for 3 years. Never an issue and keeps time as well as any of my Rolex. I also own two Breitlings and prefer my Tudor GMT over both.

Love this! Do you keep it on the bracelet all the time, or do you ever opt for leather, or nato (Tudor or otherwise)? Also, feel like posting a pic?

Old 11 April 2021, 11:00 AM   #14
bremersm
Banned

I am a less large mammal but owned and loved the BB GMT. I sold it recently as I wanted a simpler one watch life and got a 39mm Explorer. Out of the two you have proposed I would go BB GMT.

That said if you want a GMT function and do not want to deal with the issues the Grand Seiko 9F GMT would be a fun alternative.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:29 AM   #15
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyL147 View Post
If those were my only 2 options, I’d go Tudor.
X2.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:43 AM   #16
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I love the Navitimer and I consider it to have the same significance to Breitling as the Submariner does to Rolex. If I had to choose between the two you are considering, I would absolutely choose it and I think it stands out as something different among your other watches (if you were to sell your current Breitling).

Are you set specifically on a Navitimer with a black face? If not, have you also checked out the Montbrillant 01?
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 11:51 AM   #17
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Tudor GMT is a great option. I sold my first after a little bit of a bad experience with the date issue. Missed having one in the collection so picked up another a few months later...with a renewed vested interest in the watch I have been keeping an eye out for reports of date window problems and have not seen much, if anything, in recent months. As someone mentioned above, I’d only buy from AD with full 5 year warranty.

The bracelet is nice, but lack of micro adjust and any kind of on the go adjustment ruins it. Like you, I also have a sub so perhaps have been spoiled with the glide lock. Additionally, the cost difference between leather and bracelet options followed by adding the other is neither here nor there. My recommendation is to therefore pick it up on the leather.as this way you’ll get Tudors OEM clasp which also works on a number of rubber aftermarket straps. Plenty of decent fabric options to mix it up too.

Some people are put off by the BBs slab side, but I don’t actually mind on this one. It adds to the tool aesthetic/feel of the watch for me and if you have a larger wrist I doubt this will be a problem for you.

Several pics below showing a range of strap options. Good luck with acquisition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 12:23 PM   #18
Rippin12
"TRF" Member

I love the classic Navitimer (have one myself), but you already have a couple of chronographs. The Tudor GMT would round out your collection nicely.
Rippin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 12:28 PM   #19
yisrael42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk77 View Post
Tudor GMT is a great option. I sold my first after a little bit of a bad experience with the date issue. Missed having one in the collection so picked up another a few months later...with a renewed vested interest in the watch I have been keeping an eye out for reports of date window problems and have not seen much, if anything, in recent months. As someone mentioned above, I’d only buy from AD with full 5 year warranty.

The bracelet is nice, but lack of micro adjust and any kind of on the go adjustment ruins it. Like you, I also have a sub so perhaps have been spoiled with the glide lock. Additionally, the cost difference between leather and bracelet options followed by adding the other is neither here nor there. My recommendation is to therefore pick it up on the leather.as this way you’ll get Tudors OEM clasp which also works on a number of rubber aftermarket straps. Plenty of decent fabric options to mix it up too.

Some people are put off by the BBs slab side, but I don’t actually mind on this one. It adds to the tool aesthetic/feel of the watch for me and if you have a larger wrist I doubt this will be a problem for you.

Several pics below showing a range of strap options. Good luck with acquisition

These strap pictures are fantastic! What’s the blue and red one?

Old 11 April 2021, 12:28 PM   #20
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
This is and continues to be my favorite.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290315_1024.jpg (151.3 KB, 592 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 01:49 PM   #21
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Great strap options! I keep mine on the metal bracelet but WOW!
Old 11 April 2021, 01:59 PM   #22
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Out of these 2, I would opt for the Tudor GMT which is the one you like more (subconsciously)!

If I could push the budget a bit, I would go Explorer II as suggested by others.
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 02:41 PM   #23
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Get the Tudor on the bracelet. Then add any strap you fancy!
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 04:17 PM   #24
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Tudor OEM straps are short.

Breitling makes straps in XL.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 08:02 PM   #25
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yisrael42 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yisrael42 View Post

First one (third & sixth photo) is a Zuludiver marine nationale strap. I think these have been discontinued but Erikas do a similar MN strap which I think I’m also going to add in solid blue.

Second one (fourth photo) is a Crown and Buckle Chevron nato (https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevr...t-crimson.html). I really rate this one, but wish it was a few cm longer. If you’ve got a larger than average wrist, I’d check the length will be sufficient for you.

nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 09:52 PM   #26
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Have you considered the Omega SMP 300 diver? Lots of dial
Options, great watch (like a sub,which you love), and price is very reasonable
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:28 PM   #27
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the Tudor GMT and own one. I have the bracelet, NATO and leather strap and the strap gets most of the wear as I think the strap gives it a retro look. I would get the Tudor GMT. Have some fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191013_104224 (002).jpg (235.8 KB, 350 views)
File Type: jpg 20200401_120415 (002).jpg (216.8 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg 20200401_135920 (002).jpg (229.8 KB, 350 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2021, 10:37 PM   #28
mozchron
"TRF" Member

I'm a thin mammal with small wrists and I love my Tudor GMT, bought new from DSW a few years ago. Its been all over the world, taken a real beating, wears the scars proudly, and keeps on ticking. No issues with the date at all.

The lack of microadjust on the bracelet may be an issue for some. I got a perfect fit, but I also have a BB ETA that I can't get perfect for love or for money, so YMMV.

I would buy it on the bracelet and order the strap/Nato separately.
mozchron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 08:38 AM   #29
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

Explorer 11 42mm either colour.
Try one on. So comfortable.
Easy link is all you need and the bracelet feels (and is )as strong and as well made as the Glidelock.
Case is a few mm longer than a Sub so it should fit great.

toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2021, 09:43 AM   #30
nyc10ken
Banned

Factor in price and Tudors are hard to beat
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote