The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Favorite overall watch type by Rolex?
Submariner 323 27.19%
GMT II 317 26.68%
Daytona 177 14.90%
Yacht-Master 31 2.61%
Explorer 79 6.65%
Explorer 2 50 4.21%
Sea Dweller 90 7.58%
Oyster Perpetual 14 1.18%
Sky-Dweller 62 5.22%
Datejust 45 3.79%
Voters: 1188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 May 2021, 02:37 AM   #121
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Voted Sea Dweller, but really Deep Sea Sea Dweller.

I don't care how many people say it's too thick or it looks like a hockey puck, I listened to the crowd once and ended up selling the Submariner and getting the Deep Sea I wanted in the first place.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 02:39 AM   #122
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
This is tough for me, I love them all. The GMT is slightly above the the water related watches for me. I love the sub, YM, DSSD equally but the GMT is what got me into the hobby.
Old 5 May 2021, 03:08 AM   #123
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Why no YM 2?
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 03:38 AM   #124
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
I thought the Daytona would have a higher voting percentage honestly.
Please let me explain something. Threads like this are cute and fun, as long as you do not believe that they are in any way representative of what the general buying populations wants. The responses you will get in this particular thread are in no way even remotely representative of what the public wants. No matter what happens, even if you get 80% of people in here saying they want a stainless steel yahtmaster, it's of no consequence.

The market is the market because there are some coveted pieces and they are coveted because many people want those pieces. And the demand outweighs the supply. It's really simple.

So you can have 80% of the people, for example, here state that they would rather have a Sub rather than a Sub date, or a YM 2 or YM rather than a pepsi. It doesn't matter. Also, The results are skewed with these comments because you are more likely to find disgruntled buyers who have to settle for something else, or convince themselves that they would prefer something that is not considered hot or hyped, or genuinely, people who are somehow prideful that they want or own a watch that is easily accessible to all. Those are the ones that are more likely to respond to you. Those are the people who you are calling on.

Coming from someone who has pretty much all the stainless steel models or access to all the stainless steel models, the GMT Master 2 blro Pepsi 2018 release and the Daytona 500LN white are two of the most beautiful timepieces in the Rolex catalog!! By far!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 08:42 AM   #125
GMT Aviator

Voted GMT but surprised DJ is at the bottom.

Proves that the main demographic of this forum isn’t in step with the rest of the Rolex buying public.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 08:44 AM   #126
RotorSelfWinding
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Voted GMT but surprised DJ is at the bottom.

Proves that the main demographic of this forum isn’t in step with the rest of the Rolex buying public.
I voted Sub but the Datejust is far and away number 2. In a lineup full of icons the Datejust is in the picture. That fluted bezel on a jubilee is incredible.

As far as the Daytona: There's no justification for paying those prices over a speedmaster. The Speedy is the iconic chrono, IMHO.
RotorSelfWinding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 08:45 AM   #127
nick800
"TRF" Member

Need to be more specific. GMT LN
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 08:45 AM   #128
GMT Aviator

Whoops. Double post. Deleted.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 10:16 AM   #129
Jdilla
"TRF" Member

SD43... sub on steroids
Jdilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 10:35 AM   #130
Kmasur
"TRF" Member

I see the list is not complete. Why is there no Milgauss option?
Kmasur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 10:40 AM   #131
Demon Barber
"TRF" Member

Yachtmaster 40
Demon Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:09 AM   #132
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmasur View Post
I see the list is not complete. Why is there no Milgauss option?
I answered this earlier on.
interestedinwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:13 AM   #133
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm torn between Yacht-Master 40mm platinum dial ref 116622 and Sea-Dweller 43mm mk1 ref 126600. I suppose if I have to chose only one, then perhaps the Single Red, although by a tiny margin.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:14 AM   #134
Shazbot302
"TRF" Member

In no order…

Sub ND
Cermit
Batman
Polar Explorer
Sky Dweller
SD
Shazbot302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:15 AM   #135
LSUmd
"TRF" Member

the correct answer

the correct answer is (in any order or combo) sub, explorer 1 and sea dweller. those polled who selected sky dweller should be jailed

(trying to start a sky dweller fight)
LSUmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:31 AM   #136
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I’m a sea-dweller guy through and through - the SD4K, followed by 5-digits, then SD43.

The DSSD is very cool, though not for me…but it’s part of that family so I’d include it at the end of the line for me.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 04:39 AM   #137
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Daytona will always be #1 to me. Bar none.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:17 AM   #138
MiDoon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonRain View Post
Please let me explain something. Threads like this are cute and fun, as long as you do not believe that they are in any way representative of what the general buying populations wants. The responses you will get in this particular thread are in no way even remotely representative of what the public wants. No matter what happens, even if you get 80% of people in here saying they want a stainless steel yahtmaster, it's of no consequence.

The market is the market because there are some coveted pieces and they are coveted because many people want those pieces. And the demand outweighs the supply. It's really simple.

So you can have 80% of the people, for example, here state that they would rather have a Sub rather than a Sub date, or a YM 2 or YM rather than a pepsi. It doesn't matter. Also, The results are skewed with these comments because you are more likely to find disgruntled buyers who have to settle for something else, or convince themselves that they would prefer something that is not considered hot or hyped, or genuinely, people who are somehow prideful that they want or own a watch that is easily accessible to all. Those are the ones that are more likely to respond to you. Those are the people who you are calling on.

Coming from someone who has pretty much all the stainless steel models or access to all the stainless steel models, the GMT Master 2 blro Pepsi 2018 release and the Daytona 500LN white are two of the most beautiful timepieces in the Rolex catalog!! By far!

I'm going to disagree. To truly know if this is true you would have to know the difference in productivity levels versus demand. So for example if there are just a lot more Submariner produced than Daytona, that would influence the availability.

In the end, you would have to consider this one measurement. If all watches were available at any time for purchase, given the current price point set by Rolex. Which watch would each person choose? For this discussion then consider whatever yo choose there would be a 20 percent loss if you turned around and sold it.

For me, I would choose the SD43. Full disclosure it would have been the discontinued LV.
MiDoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:50 AM   #139
Ensign
"TRF" Member

36mm Datejust

I know it’s like wearing velcro shoes for some, but every time I see a steel 36mm DJ, I am impressed by the proportions and beauty of the dials.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:37 AM   #140
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDoon View Post
I'm going to disagree. To truly know if this is true you would have to know the difference in productivity levels versus demand. So for example if there are just a lot more Submariner produced than Daytona, that would influence the availability.

In the end, you would have to consider this one measurement. If all watches were available at any time for purchase, given the current price point set by Rolex. Which watch would each person choose? For this discussion then consider whatever yo choose there would be a 20 percent loss if you turned around and sold it.

For me, I would choose the SD43. Full disclosure it would have been the discontinued LV.
Larger authorized dealers get approximately one black one white Daytona per month. Also, authorized dealers get significantly more dates versus no date submariners.

Lastly, the requests for the White and the date submariner are more. I hope that helps.

Old 6 May 2021, 07:43 AM   #141
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few

alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:48 AM   #142
zen123
"TRF" Member

This one without a doubt

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
zen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:57 AM   #143
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I missed this and I'm going to echo what the previous person said. You can't count demand for the Daytona being higher than a Sub just because the Daytona is harder to get. The supply is lower than a Submariner to begin with. So it's a false equivalency and your argument is invalid. The average person I talk to far and away prefers a Sub than a Daytona in real life. As far as you stating that there are more requests for a Daytona than a Sub, you need to back that up with statistics and data and I don't think Rolex releases those
Old 6 May 2021, 08:00 AM   #144
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I missed this and I'm going to echo what the previous person said. You can't count demand for the Daytona being higher than a Sub just because the Daytona is harder to get. The supply is lower than a Submariner to begin with. So it's a false equivalency and your argument is invalid. The average person I talk to far and away prefers a Sub than a Daytona in real life. As far as you stating that there are more requests for a Daytona than a Sub, you need to back that up with statistics and data and I don't think Rolex releases those
Ummmm yeah no one said that ....

I'm comparing black or white daytona, sub and sub date, my friend. I stand correct.

Old 6 May 2021, 08:04 AM   #145
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Sub 16610

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 08:06 AM   #146
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ummmm yeah no one said that ....

I'm comparing black or white daytona, sub and sub date, my friend. I stand correct.

The point I'm making is your initial point is not correct.
Old 6 May 2021, 08:11 AM   #147
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The point I'm making is your initial point is not correct.
No. As is no I disagree.

Old 6 May 2021, 11:26 AM   #148
Kmasur
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
I answered this earlier on.
Yes, I now see that you did. After some going through every page, every post of yours, I saw the explanation barely in the previous page. I think it would have been reasonable to include such important info in the very first post, especially if there is awareness by OP if list is incomplete because of limitation of survey size.....many times these kind of threads turn into serious books and not every single post/page will necessarily be read by all.....just saying
Kmasur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 12:20 PM   #149
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Gotta be the Sub.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 12:39 PM   #150
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
DRSD

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk