The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2021, 01:46 AM   #121
Lukebennett21
"TRF" Member

It’s not too late to tie in another OP41 to your DD purchase if you go that route.
Lukebennett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 02:15 AM   #122
reecester
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
reecester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:03 AM   #123
bob sims
Banned

Here it is still working great. My high school watch from the 70's-a Timex Datejust automatic. Have had it serviced zero times in over 40 years and it keeps ticking. Though to be fair have only used it a few of times in the last 20 years-when going to sketchy areas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0083.JPG (81.7 KB, 598 views)
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:12 AM   #124
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sims View Post
Created Friday April 30

Yup. A Coral Red OP 41 with a list price of $5900.
Ordered it from a "trusted seller". Now I see why he is trusted. I paid by wire noon yesterday and got a Fedex shipping code within an hour. Priority Next Day. I had the watch in hand this morning at 1040. 1500 miles away.
I love it! So much so I am seriously considering buying the one they have up now for $14,575 as a spare. That is NOT a joke.Circumstances-I have no immediate family save a near nursing home ready father in his 90's and a few similar aged aunts and uncles.
A bunch of cousins. Some of whom I am reasonably close to, most of whom I could give a **** about.
I am not rich by a long shot. But I have more than enough to get by on the rest of my life. Car is paid for. House is reverse mortgaged so I can stay there
rent free for life and have sucked 300 grand out of the equity. I am done traveling both for health and non-desirability at this point. I have traveled plenty including 4 trips to Europe. My pensions (plural), SS and investments turn out more than I spend by quite a bit.
I am old, fat and dying. Earlier this month I was given 3-5 years to live. 6 on the outside. Sad part is I feel great. I could buy this watch 50 times over and still live very comfortably, though it would extinguish my savings. Won't do that of course but maybe 1 more...and maybe a brand new Day-Date yellow gold. Undecided on the dial. I am assuming I can buy one at MSRP from an AD without playing and of these "games". If not-it is onto the Grays.
The watch by the way is beautiful. The Datejust 36 I have been wearing for 20 years now seems cramped. Will try to post a pic tomorrow but that is not my strong suit.When they say never worn I believe it. Warranty is good till
March 2026. With a little luck I may outlive it.
Bob: I read your original post, then I read through the entire thread. I can't understand the handful of snarky replies a few people have made here. My reaction to your original post was quite the opposite: I found your post to be interesting and profound, and I thank you for posting your thoughts here.

I currently have a family member facing a similar situation. Stage 4. Probably not more than a few years at best. Events like that make one take pause, to think deeply and philosophically. So your post resonated with me. Not that I can personally grasp the severity of your situation, but I think I can understand a little - of course it's never the same as facing such a situation oneself.

It's great to hear you so enthusiastic about your new Red OP. Seems to me that what you wrote is exactly the right reason to buy one of these things: to thoroughly enjoy it, to revel in it, to look at your wrist and say to yourself with conviction "damn this thing is effing awesome!".

Your Red OP isn't a watch to be justified from the outside. It's a feeling to be savored and cherished from the inside.

So what is that feeling worth? Every dime you paid and more. When you look at your wrist, I'm sure you'll have no doubt of that. And that is why I enjoyed your original post.

Best of luck to you, and your health, and your awesome new Red OP.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:17 AM   #125
Doug5551
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here it is still working great. My high school watch from the 70's-a Timex Datejust automatic. Have had it serviced zero times in over 40 years and it keeps ticking. Though to be fair have only used it a few of times in the last 20 years-when going to sketchy areas.
Very, very cool!

Thanks for sharing your history with us.

I was looking forward to seeing your Timex.

I am sure I had some Timex watches from back then, but I am not as fortunate as I don't have mine anymore.
Doug5551 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:20 AM   #126
bob sims
Banned

Timex has great and simple service plan: if it stops working throw it in the ******* garbage.
Old 3 May 2021, 03:38 AM   #127
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBaileyii View Post
Your money. Your life. Screw what the naysayers think/say.

Personally I'd go for the YG Daydate...beautiful watch.

100+mph... balls to the wall all the way to the end. Enjoy your watch(es?)!!

Charles Franklin put it best:
“No one gets out of this life alive. So leave a footprint of your choice. You are writing your epitaph. You are writing it now! Life is a process, not a goal. Live it now, or you will miss it! We have time to spend and no time to waste.”
Yeah I think I will be buying a YG Day Date next. Undecided on dial color. Funny how they call gold dial champagne. I've guzzled enough champagne over the decades and never any precisely that color.
Another question I asked on this thread but didn't get an answer is are Day Date's readily available at MSRP or do they pull the same bullcrap of waitlist, buy jewelry, gift cards, boxes of chocolate, wine, thank you notes, birthday cards, etc.
Would RATHER go to local AD-half a mile from house. But not going for any games-if they won't take the pay go grey!
I think researching this over the last 2 weeks I am already convinced that the main players and profiteers in this game are the AD's.
They ARE the grey's.
Old 3 May 2021, 03:41 AM   #128
konkaniman
"TRF" Member

Bob, congrats and wear the OP in good health for many, many years! Timex looks great too.
konkaniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:43 AM   #129
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alweisenberger View Post
spend that money, can always sell that watch down the road, even if it for less than what you spent, you will still get the $$$ worth of enjoyment out of it
Well since I bought it Thursday they have another one up for $200 higher.
So I am telling people I bought low!
Old 3 May 2021, 03:44 AM   #130
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Nice watch.
Personally I’d never pay a single $ over list price even if that means I’ll never buy another Rolex.
But this is me and that’s you.

Wishing you good health
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 03:46 AM   #131
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Congrats I guess at this point it would be crazy for you to not have gotten it
Exactly!
Old 3 May 2021, 03:56 AM   #132
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
You worked for it you get to spend it how you see fit.
Hope you have Many Happy and healthy in your future.

One frivolous purchase you might make is a modern smartphone. For the camera if not for anything else... your pictures have much room for improvement.
Old 3 May 2021, 04:04 AM   #133
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
if you plan on getting a day date anyway you could've just used that as leverage to get the op at retail
Yeah that is a strategy I was ignorant of. I am not really someone who switches watches. I have bought exactly one watch in my life-a 20 year old datejust I could only afford by throwing in rolls of quarters from a piggybank after I unexpectedly hit 2 jackpots on the dollar Blazing Seven machines at the Silver Legacy in Reno. 97% payback I recommend them highly-they were still there in 2015. Until my father and I reverse mortgaged our houses 3 years ago I never had more than $100, 000 in savings (spent it all on necessities-traveling, booze , broads and gambling) so the idea of simultaneously buying 2 rolexes would have seemed as reasonable as telling to me to build me own space rocket and fly to Mars!
It is a sound strategy though.
Unless the greedy AD's start hemming and hawing "we'll see what we can do", etc.
**** that!
Take the pay
Or I go grey
Old 3 May 2021, 04:07 AM   #134
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
Bob: I read your original post, then I read through the entire thread. I can't understand the handful of snarky replies a few people have made here. My reaction to your original post was quite the opposite: I found your post to be interesting and profound, and I thank you for posting your thoughts here.

I currently have a family member facing a similar situation. Stage 4. Probably not more than a few years at best. Events like that make one take pause, to think deeply and philosophically. So your post resonated with me. Not that I can personally grasp the severity of your situation, but I think I can understand a little - of course it's never the same as facing such a situation oneself.

It's great to hear you so enthusiastic about your new Red OP. Seems to me that what you wrote is exactly the right reason to buy one of these things: to thoroughly enjoy it, to revel in it, to look at your wrist and say to yourself with conviction "damn this thing is effing awesome!".

Your Red OP isn't a watch to be justified from the outside. It's a feeling to be savored and cherished from the inside.

So what is that feeling worth? Every dime you paid and more. When you look at your wrist, I'm sure you'll have no doubt of that. And that is why I enjoyed your original post.

You hit a grand slam with that post!
Old 3 May 2021, 04:22 AM   #135
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
You worked for it you get to spend it how you see fit.
Hope you have Many Happy and healthy in your future.

One frivolous purchase you might make is a modern smartphone. For the camera if not for anything else... your pictures have much room for improvement.
That is certainly true. Really don't want a smart phone. Happy with my flip phone. I know people with smart phones and will revive this thread with pictures of both watches when I think of it. My flip phone has a pretty lousy camera too and I have never figured out a way to transfer pics to a computer.
Those pics were taken on a standalone Coby video camera my mother got around 15 years ago when Foxwoods used to give out those free "Monthly Gifts"
Old 3 May 2021, 07:04 AM   #136
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Every so often it is good to be reminded that"value" is both subjective and relative and can mean so much more than mere dollars and cents. Obviously, this was a good value to you. Nothing else matters. Good for you!
Old 3 May 2021, 07:08 AM   #137
Rushhour
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Blue & CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
You don't have to justify it to us, your money your life and your decision. Hope you'll have many more years to enjoy the watch

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rushhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:12 AM   #138
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Quote:
That is certainly true. Really don't want a smart phone. Happy with my flip phone. I know people with smart phones and will revive this thread with pictures of both watches when I think of it. My flip phone has a pretty lousy camera too and I have never figured out a way to transfer pics to a computer.
Those pics were taken on a standalone Coby video camera my mother got around 15 years ago when Foxwoods used to give out those free "Monthly Gifts"
Not sure anyone has answered your DD question... If you call around, you’ll find an AD with one in stock. If your local doesn’t have one, they can order one for you, probably the standard 90 days or so. Grey prices on DD (depending on tax) are about in line with AD so no real issues going grey unless you wanted to leverage the purchase for more SS models. The only exception here is the rose gold and green dial, that one is hard to get.

I have had a few DD’s and I always like the yellow gold and silver, silver motif or champagne dial. You can’t really go wrong with either.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:33 AM   #139
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Bob, you’re not a sucker. You’ve made the decision of what your priorities are at your point in life. I would like to congratulate you on your beautiful OP and maybe an early congrats on the “spare”. Hope you outlive the Doc’s estimates and enjoy those watches for many years ahead. Do please get a better phone or a digital camera though, simply so you can share exceptional wrist shots of your happiness and we can all enjoy them as much as you. Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:48 AM   #140
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post

Very well said
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:50 AM   #141
Orangeface
"TRF" Member

Watch: No-Date Sub
Well, there are almost no words...

Upon reading the thread header on your post, the initial thoughts are, of course, obvious. Some have already expressed them. Then I read through your post.

What you've done with your purchasing decision is a literal and figurative metaphor of time. Your time. As well as you can, you've made time go your way, and with the timepiece that you want. You were/are willing to spend your money on what it is important to you at this point in your life. Good for you. Enjoy it each and every day.

As for a new iPhone and photos, it's an excellent way to improve your photography in general, if you're willing to tackle the learning curve (not that difficult really). However, for the specific purpose of posting your photos on TRF, don't bother yourself. It is difficult at best and not a photo posting-friendly environment.

Cool watch! Best of luck!
Orangeface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 08:02 AM   #142
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Yeah that is a strategy I was ignorant of. I am not really someone who switches watches. I have bought exactly one watch in my life-a 20 year old datejust I could only afford by throwing in rolls of quarters from a piggybank after I unexpectedly hit 2 jackpots on the dollar Blazing Seven machines at the Silver Legacy in Reno. 97% payback I recommend them highly-they were still there in 2015. Until my father and I reverse mortgaged our houses 3 years ago I never had more than $100, 000 in savings (spent it all on necessities-traveling, booze , broads and gambling) so the idea of simultaneously buying 2 rolexes would have seemed as reasonable as telling to me to build me own space rocket and fly to Mars!
It is a sound strategy though.
Unless the greedy AD's start hemming and hawing "we'll see what we can do", etc.
**** that!
Take the pay
Or I go grey
This is definitely Uncle Bob, come down to the Legion I have a proposal for you.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 08:38 AM   #143
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I think I will be buying a YG Day Date next. Undecided on dial color. Funny how they call gold dial champagne. I've guzzled enough champagne over the decades and never any precisely that color.
Another question I asked on this thread but didn't get an answer is are Day Date's readily available at MSRP or do they pull the same bullcrap of waitlist, buy jewelry, gift cards, boxes of chocolate, wine, thank you notes, birthday cards, etc.
Would RATHER go to local AD-half a mile from house. But not going for any games-if they won't take the pay go grey!
I think researching this over the last 2 weeks I am already convinced that the main players and profiteers in this game are the AD's.
They ARE the grey's.
Go to your AD, tell them you want a DD bundled with the red OP that you just got.

Definitely no need to pay more than MSRP for DD at your AD. No need to buy anything else. Just have to wait.

Flip the new red OP back to your grey.

Recoup some of the premium that you paid.

Or talk to your grey and ask for the DD that you want for a discount.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 09:18 AM   #144
MRB11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Hey mate if you'd paid 50k I think it would be worth it to you. It gives you great pleasure and you love it so really it's a bit of a bargain. Enjoy the watch and I really hope you get that DD. And to the keyboard warriors on here who pipe up with "thought this was a watch forum" etc show a bit of class. You can always say nothing at all it is an option.
MRB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 09:24 AM   #145
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
We are here to enjoy the watches we love, cost be damned. Good for you, hope you enjoy it!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 09:32 AM   #146
nat
"TRF" Member

What does money matter when your watch smiles at you so dearly. Enjoy!
nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 09:37 AM   #147
MichelleP
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40RG Olive dial
You should be able to get the DD at an AD. If they don't have what you want they will order and shouldn't be that long of a wait. For YG I personally like the silver motif dial.
MichelleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 12:20 PM   #148
Deroya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Short answer to your original question - yes
Deroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 12:35 PM   #149
kizerman
Banned

Quote:
Here it is-hopefully
Maybe spend a little on your camera and some photo lessons:)
kizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 05:21 PM   #150
Gand
Banned

Sorry to hear about your health. I think happiness can't be overpaid for, Congrats on your beautiful watch.
Gand is offline   Reply With Quote