The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 May 2021, 06:07 AM   #1
kacey1001
"TRF" Member

When will this end?

I have been very fortunate with my Rolex purchases and have not personally experienced some of the AD games that I have read about on these Forums. However, Yesterday I experienced something, that for me personally, took these games to a new level.

I visited the Trafford Centre, in Manchester, UK. I paid a visit to a few of the boutiques/AD’s to see if any of this years new releases (across all brands) where available to see. I stopped by Beaverbrooks to enquire if they had a Tudor BB58, in Silver, to see (even if they were “spoken for”). At the door of the AD, I was asked if I was a “previous customer” of the AD, as only existing customers would be able to view the Gold or Silver Tudor BB58 “at this time”.
kacey1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 06:10 AM   #2
msaleem
"TRF" Member

This will end when prospective customers stop bending over for ADs.

Translation: This will never end and only get worse.
msaleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 06:19 AM   #3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaleem View Post
This will end when prospective customers stop bending over for ADs.

Translation: This will never end and only get worse.
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 06:38 AM   #4
SubMillennial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date
If begins and ends with supply. As my generation becomes the primary spending cohort in the US, along with the rest of the world, demand is only going to increase. So if Rolex doesn't start pumping out more than 900,000 watches a year, we'll see years added to the waiting lists and many thousands more added to the reseller prices
SubMillennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 06:57 AM   #5
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

It will end when there are more watches available than people clamouring and barging to buy them.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 07:04 AM   #6
Gerry.GEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1 Mk2
In the USA my friend, everything is in short supply or the price has inflated on items that just before the pandemic were available and reasonable. So, I believe everyone has it right...I doubt it will ever subside with Rolex. They've positioned themselves as the "Have to have it" brand and no matter how many more watches they produce it will likely never meet demand.
Gerry.GEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 07:10 AM   #7
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
That’s crazy.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 07:16 AM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Existing Customers ONLY (for now)

Tudor is cranking out these references...my AD got 5 of the sliver BB58 last week. Now all 5 sold immediately upon arrival, but that will calm down once the market gets flooded (which it will). Then you will be able to get glance at one.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 07:34 AM   #9
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacey1001 View Post
I visited the Trafford Centre, in Manchester, UK. I paid a visit to a few of the boutiques/AD’s to see if any of this years new releases (across all brands) where available to see. I stopped by Beaverbrooks to enquire if they had a Tudor BB58, in Silver, to see (even if they were “spoken for”). At the door of the AD, I was asked if I was a “previous customer” of the AD, as only existing customers would be able to view the Gold or Silver Tudor BB58 “at this time”.
That's ridiculous. The sort of thing that makes you want to write to their head office and ask whether it's policy to deliberately turn away customers with £10ks to spend without even letting them see anything.

And then you think, hold on, the store staff are only doing what they are told, so either the manager wants them to do it or corporate culture and tone from the top means they think the manager wants them to do it. So why do I want to help senior management of this business engage with customers better and become a success...? They don't deserve my help!

As things are very slowly reopening after covid I can understand them not wanting to waste their sales assistants' precious time with kids coming into the shopping mall to look at bling watches and gawp at what they saw on Insta. A lot of watch places have been appointment only as there's a lot of pent up demand for 'non-essential retail'. So, keep your best customers happy. But to have a doorman tell you they're not even allowing new customers to 'window shop', they can eff right off in my book.

Do you have any recent good experiences with any other jewellers in Trafford centre, or the Manchester area generally? My parents live near there and I'll be taking them shopping for an anniversary treat later this year. Not Rolex or Tudor so no worries about waitlist etc, but just being treated like a human by the sales staff would be a good start.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 07:40 AM   #10
Couchpotato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have been very fortunate with my Rolex purchases and have not personally experienced some of the AD games that I have read about on these Forums. However, Yesterday I experienced something, that for me personally, took these games to a new level.

Not very related but I don't get the gold BB58, if I take my BB Bronze and rub off all the patina with vinegar or something, that'd make it a 'gold' watch. So basically you can have two different watches and don't even have to pay that much
Couchpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 07:46 AM   #11
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
At the door of the AD, I was asked if I was a “previous customer” of the AD, as only existing customers would be able to view the Gold or Silver Tudor BB58 “at this time”.
1. You aren’t their customer.
2. You didn’t have an appointment.
3. You inquired about a new (hot) model.

Absolutely nothing wrong with politely sending you on your merry way -- but sometimes the send off isn't properly executed. It sounds harsh coming from a security guard (if that's the case).

But he/she should cordially remind you to please call ahead and make an appointment next time -- as the store is very busy and they give priority access to preferred clientele and those with prior appointments.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 07:47 AM   #12
Jacksan
Banned

Watch: SkyDweller
Doesn't it generally always end up with supply vs demand?
If the buyers stop paying grey market prices, then those resellers will stop acquiring them from ADs, which will increase the supply to the end consumer?

Then the AD's might stop bundling or "requiring" the end consumer from creating a purchase history, or purchasing a less desirable model in hopes of purchasing an in high demand model (essentially turning the end consumer into a grey market dealer purchaser)?

Some on this forum have embraced "patience is a virtue" model, whereas others have the "i have to have it now, no matter what the cost".

I've bought from a grey market dealer, and I have bought from AD, and I'm satisfied on each transaction.

YMMV I guess.
Jacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:38 AM   #13
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksan View Post

Some on this forum have embraced "patience is a virtue" model, whereas others have the "i have to have it now, no matter what the cost".

I've bought from a grey market dealer, and I have bought from AD, and I'm satisfied on each transaction.

YMMV I guess.
Same here. I apply both models as circumstances require and and have no regrets. For my next Rolex I have adopted the virtuous model.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:00 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sounds exclusive
Old 4 May 2021, 09:36 AM   #15
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Existing customer to look at a Tudor......get the F outta here
1665fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:38 AM   #16
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Existing Customers ONLY (for now)

Tudor is cranking out these references...my AD got 5 of the sliver BB58 last week. Now all 5 sold immediately upon arrival, but that will calm down once the market gets flooded (which it will). Then you will be able to get glance at one.
Tudor can crank them out....Rolex SS department still had Covid.....makes 1 Daytona and 1 gmt a month....
1665fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:49 AM   #17
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
You should have said yes and started listing off fictitious watch brands with obviously ridiculous names and claimed to have purchased them at their store. Then when they say they don't sell that brand, insist that they do but they are just really exclusive.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 10:01 AM   #18
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Stop whining like babies.

It is crucially important that societies continue being careful during this time.

And it’s just freaking watches . Luxury ones at that.

Did you get to see these watches at other ADs? If you did, what’s the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 10:06 AM   #19
TTbluesy
Banned

Tudor acting exclusive....Now we have seen it all.

TTbluesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 01:20 PM   #20
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Tudor can crank them out....Rolex SS department still had Covid.....makes 1 Daytona and 1 gmt a month....
It's clear to me...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 03:21 PM   #21
kacey1001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
That's ridiculous. The sort of thing that makes you want to write to their head office and ask whether it's policy to deliberately turn away customers with £10ks to spend without even letting them see anything.

And then you think, hold on, the store staff are only doing what they are told, so either the manager wants them to do it or corporate culture and tone from the top means they think the manager wants them to do it. So why do I want to help senior management of this business engage with customers better and become a success...? They don't deserve my help!

As things are very slowly reopening after covid I can understand them not wanting to waste their sales assistants' precious time with kids coming into the shopping mall to look at bling watches and gawp at what they saw on Insta. A lot of watch places have been appointment only as there's a lot of pent up demand for 'non-essential retail'. So, keep your best customers happy. But to have a doorman tell you they're not even allowing new customers to 'window shop', they can eff right off in my book.

Do you have any recent good experiences with any other jewellers in Trafford centre, or the Manchester area generally? My parents live near there and I'll be taking them shopping for an anniversary treat later this year. Not Rolex or Tudor so no worries about waitlist etc, but just being treated like a human by the sales staff would be a good start.
I have only ever purchased from Goldsmiths in the Trafford Centre (who are great as long as you are not wanting to purchase Rolex) and the Omega Boutique. My Rolex AD (who is fantastic) is based in a town close to Manchester. Chisholm Hunter (In the Arndale Center) have also been good to deal with. Very friendly and welcoming.
Old 4 May 2021, 03:26 PM   #22
kacey1001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
1. You aren’t their customer.
2. You didn’t have an appointment.
3. You inquired about a new (hot) model.

Absolutely nothing wrong with politely sending you on your merry way -- but sometimes the send off isn't properly executed. It sounds harsh coming from a security guard (if that's the case).

But he/she should cordially remind you to please call ahead and make an appointment next time -- as the store is very busy and they give priority access to preferred clientele and those with prior appointments.
Just to be clear, it wasn’t a security guard, it was one of their Sales Associates. You didn’t/don’t need an appointment to visit (even in these times). I was also wearing my Rolex Submariner, but my Rolex AD does not stock Tudor. So their attitude and behaviour potentially just lost a very good customer that purchases watches across multiple brands.
Old 4 May 2021, 04:56 PM   #23
Francist
Banned

Watch: 116500LN
Their loss really. Tudor has never gotten as popular as Rolex. I remember the same thing happened when they released pepsi GMT & BB bronze. Look at where they are now. Just give it time.
Francist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 05:03 PM   #24
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
August 23rd, at 12:48 and 36 seconds 2021 Pacific Daylight Savings Time.

Well it’s as good a guess as any.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:11 PM   #25
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Its also very difficult to say, "it will stop when people stop paying the price...". But that doesnt make sense either because every time someone starts a thread on "How can I get X at an AD", most people will chime in and say "Just go to one of the trusted sellers and save yourself time and money"...I mean I get both sides. Not saying one is right or wrong. But the thing is, its not really fair to say, dont buy grey, because considering the ridiculous stuff you have to buy these days to get something like a GMT or Daytona, you might as well buy it secondary. Sure, its a luxury item, you dont HAVE to buy it. But then you miss out on experiencing, what is arguably a very good watch. The only way this stops is Rolex making more (which wont happen) or fashion tastes changing drastically.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:15 PM   #26
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
Its also very difficult to say, "it will stop when people stop paying the price...". But that doesnt make sense either because every time someone starts a thread on "How can I get X at an AD", most people will chime in and say "Just go to one of the trusted sellers and save yourself time and money"...I mean I get both sides. Not saying one is right or wrong. But the thing is, its not really fair to say, dont buy grey, because considering the ridiculous stuff you have to buy these days to get something like a GMT or Daytona, you might as well buy it secondary. Sure, its a luxury item, you dont HAVE to buy it. But then you miss out on experiencing, what is arguably a very good watch. The only way this stops is Rolex making more (which wont happen) or fashion tastes changing drastically.
I have heard this answer before, and quite often, and I don’t disagree with you at all, you are most likely right. But since these (probably) will not happen anytime even remotely soon, I just keep wondering, isn’t there any other way? I don’t have the answer, maybe there isn’t one.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:22 PM   #27
MickeyDonuts
"TRF" Member

Don’t go back. Simple. I bought my first Rolex last month when the U.K. shops reopened - a DJ36 black dial fluted jubilee that I’ve lusted over for the last 25 years. Went to Harrods and got top treatment. They had a huge stock of DJs and quite a few OPs. I have no history with Rolex, Harrods but the assistant sent me wrist rolls on WhatsApp of so many watches and held the one I liked the most until the shops reopened. Could not have been a nicer experience (apart from the paying part) and I wasn’t made to feel inferior or unworthy. Popped into Tudor and they had many pieces in the showcases and were happily showing a customer a BB58. Some of the smaller retailers have small man syndrome. Harrods was absolutely fab.
MickeyDonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 08:33 PM   #28
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
When will this end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

That’s a pretty long way of saying either:

a) demand for Rolex must decrease a lot, or
b) Rolex must increase supply to ADs a lot

In order for ADs to have enough inventory for all again.

It’s amazing the number of alternate theories people can dream of for why they can’t get something they want at an AD.

Anybody writing a book on conspiracy theories really should include Rolex.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:11 PM   #29
David001
Banned

It's possibly one of the worst places to go to view them. There aren't many places left in the NW UK that you can view them, as far as I know there isn't an AD between Manchester and the Scottish border, I think there used to be one in Lancaster but they had it taken off them.

So you have every bored person within a 100 mile radius at least going to the Trafford Centre to view (and not buy) those watches. Try York or Chester or somewhere else.

I've bought stuff from them and been treated well (not the Trafford Centre), but they're probably just really fed up with getting those watches in and out of the case 100 times a day.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:15 PM   #30
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

It willl end when people stop doing what you just did.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote