The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 May 2021, 06:03 AM   #1
Master_Grogu
Banned

Icon20 Lists are closed until July

Hi everyone. While I am not the one to partake such topics, I had today a very interesting info from the AD.

For some reason, they have decided to block all wish lists until July. This fact alone is usual. We have heard about ADs doing so, or just to try to dismiss clients they don’t want (the first time comer coming with a supreme t-shirt and yeezy baskets, asking for either GMT2, Daytona or SKYD blue.).

This is coming from the boutique in Geneva, owned by the mothership itself.
They also slipped that in June, a big delivery will take place, among which one of the model I want, so I might be able to grab it just by coming early June and asking about it.

Closed list and big arrivals taken together make me think the following: Rolex wants clients to come in the shop and leave with a watch. No more limitless wish lists, they block these so the experience is no longer one of a hypothetical AD call, but more of a “I went in and got a cool watch”.

When you think about it, this is the perfect strategy to increase foot trafic. Would you rather have a person come once, gets on a hypothetical list and never see him again until you call him, or have instead prospects pop once a month in the hopes of getting lucky?

I truly hope this is the new vibe going on, as anybody can get on a list. Having clients living close and having walk in purchases is much more pleasant and what you would expect from a luxury experience (if one can call Rolex luxurious in a time where any sales associate in retail is wearing one).
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:09 AM   #2
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
Hi everyone. While I am not the one to partake such topics, I had today a very interesting info from the AD.

For some reason, they have decided to block all wish lists until July. This fact alone is usual. We have heard about ADs doing so, or just to try to dismiss clients they don’t want (the first time comer coming with a supreme t-shirt and yeezy baskets, asking for either GMT2, Daytona or SKYD blue.).

They also slipped that in June, a big delivery will take place, among which one of the model I want, so I might be able to grab it just by coming early June and asking about it.

Closed list and big arrivals taken together make me think the following: Rolex wants clients to come in the shop and leave with a watch. No more limitless wish lists, they block these so the experience is no longer one of a hypothetical AD call, but more of a “I went in and got a cool watch”.

When you think about it, this is the perfect strategy to increase foot trafic. Would you rather have a person come once, gets on a hypothetical list and never see him again until you call him, or have instead prospects pop once a month in the hopes of getting lucky?

I truly hope this is the new vibe going on, as anybody can get on a list. Having clients living close and having walk in purchases is much more pleasant and what you would expect from a luxury experience (if one can call Rolex luxurious in a time where any sales associate in retail is wearing one).

What is wrong with a sales associate wearing a Rolex?

The above is fantasy - I very much doubt Rolex want their watches available to anyone - if they were residuals would drop, the mystique would fade and demand would actually drop.

They are clearly driving to the more exclusive end of the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:12 AM   #3
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I will believe it when I see it.

People post a lot of info claiming to be true and straight from their AD but I can’t recall virtually anything that turned out true

I also am not sure the boutique in question is actually owned by Rolex. I’m pretty sure it’s third part but exclusively a Rolex AD and does not get priority.

I do however wish what you said was actioned. No more wait lists, just walk ins. However, ADs are independent and Rolex can’t in theory dictate how ADs do business; even if in theory it sounds like the right thing to do. Imagine an AD with patek and vacheron, with clients who spend over 1m who can’t keep aside a Rolex for these clients.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:14 AM   #4
SubMillennial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date
I have a hard time believing Rolex SA wants to end up like Nike with vids being posted every few months of customers getting into fights in lines hundreds long outside waiting outside a store to open for a new hot release
SubMillennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:20 AM   #5
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
Where did I say it was wrong?
Old 6 May 2021, 06:22 AM   #6
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I will believe it when I see it.
I also am not sure the boutique in question is actually owned by Rolex. I’m pretty sure it’s third part but exclusively a Rolex AD and does not get priority.
Chronotime does belong to Rolex though. It’s been discussed here before and I can confirm it. HQ itself told me this was the case.
Old 6 May 2021, 06:23 AM   #7
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Sounds like a flipper’s paradise. People lining up right outside the AD and grabbing that Daytona and make $20K before the ink dries!

42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:28 AM   #8
TXSD43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batgirl, Hulk, SD4
Panerai increased supply 10-15 years ago. They were so popular back then. See what happen now.

I think Rolex would like to upgrade their status. Not downgrade.

Omega makes great watches and you can pretty much get any watches you want at the AD. When you can walk out with watches every time you walk in, would you feel special?

TXSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:46 AM   #9
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Lists are closed until July

Quote:

I actually think lists are better. It fosters building relationships vs. luck.

Do you think once that Supreme t-shirt wearing kid stumbles across a blue SkyD that he/she will return. And is that the foot traffic Rolex wants in their stores?

It would they prefer customers with history and relationships?

Do you think Patek would do this? Heck no! Rolex wants to become a part of the exclusive club of watch companies. So, I can’t imagine this new “style of business.”

I wouldn’t be surprised that their is so much current demand that Rolex is directing no more wait list entries in July because they are overwhelmed.

I work for Toll Brothers (the largest luxury builder in the US). In mid-March we initiated that we would not take any new deposits or record any new sales until June (1 1/2 months)! That’s how hot the new construction real estate market is right now ... it’s crazy!

I think it’s just “crazy-time” at Rolex right now too.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:47 AM   #10
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSD43 View Post
Panerai increased supply 10-15 years ago. They were so popular back then. See what happen now.

I think Rolex would like to upgrade their status. Not downgrade.

Omega makes great watches and you can pretty much get any watches you want at the AD. When you can walk out with watches every time you walk in, would you feel special?

Exactly.

Old 6 May 2021, 06:48 AM   #11
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Sounds like a flipper’s paradise. People lining up right outside the AD and grabbing that Daytona and make $20K before the ink dries!

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 06:49 AM   #12
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
You'te kidding, right?! Your statement implied that you see Rolex SAs wearing Rolex watches like they should be the last on the food chain, as they should be the last entitled to wear a Rolex. You wealthy buyers often forget they are a part of the luxury market, which provides them enough income to grab the watch they desire. It was ok when you could ask for discounts but not so funny now the tables have turned, is it?
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:03 AM   #13
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It was a derogatory comment imitating that if someone working in retail has a Rolex, then it can’t be a luxury good.

Old 6 May 2021, 07:03 AM   #14
Gwai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
You'te kidding, right?! Your statement implied that you see Rolex SAs wearing Rolex watches like they should be the last on the food chain, as they should be the last entitled to wear a Rolex. You wealthy buyers often forget they are a part of the luxury market, which provides them enough income to grab the watch they desire. It was ok when you could ask for discounts but not so funny now the tables have turned, is it?
I truly wish you were right with the "enough income" bit.

Cheers
Marc
Gwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:06 AM   #15
UK_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwai View Post

Cheers
Marc

Some ADs will offer healthy discounts to (committed) staff - after all, for good people a few £k is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Old 6 May 2021, 07:14 AM   #16
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Man, you think about this stuff waaay to much.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:14 AM   #17
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:

Cheers
Marc
Can’t speak for your country, or even all of mine, but Rolex store SA’s that I know seem to be doing fine. I’ve known mine for over 20 years, h’s sent his kids through college, has 3-4 Rolex watches himself, and got one of the last C7 Corvettes for himself as a reward. I’m not sure where the idea that retail workers are second class started but not what I’ve seen.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 07:49 AM   #18
lord91
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:

Cheers
Marc
I see what you did there
lord91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 08:06 AM   #19
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord91 View Post
OP didn't say Rolex sales associate. Different terms in different countries. Tokyo is formal with business. I took that as saying any retail client facing sales associate is wearing Rolex right now that can. Says more about the popularity of the product with the implication imo at least.

But regarding the above, it used to be that specifically Rolex sales associates at many Rolex USA ADs at least, were not allowed to have first crack at new, popular, and/or Professional SS watches. Those were for customers only. Who knows what goes on today. But wasn't too long ago, that was the generally accepted policy for USA ADs.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 08:10 AM   #20
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Some ADs will offer healthy discounts to (committed) staff - after all, for good people a few £k is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

~2016 and earlier those discounts were upwards of 30%+ too for employees at many ADs. It makes sense if you own an AD that you want your employees to not only be knowledgeable about the watches they sell and service, but also makes sense for customers to see them on the wrist of the salesperson. Smart if you ask me, I know I'd be more likely to take the opinion of a salesperson that is also an owner and enthusiast.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 08:18 AM   #21
vinny84
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Funny, I just went to an AD today to ask about a 31mm TT DJ. Got a call back later in the day saying 10-13 weeks with a refundable deposit and that they will be ordering for me as a special order.

I know it's not a hard to get piece or maybe highly sought after, but I wasn't told no wish list allowed either. I was told, however, that Rolex will be closing the factory for a couple weeks starting closer to the end of the month for a factory revamp
vinny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 08:31 AM   #22
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I’m calling fake news on this one
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 09:29 AM   #23
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS

This is not true at my Rolex boutique.

I went to the new releases show at my Rolex boutique today. They still asked for the list that I am interesting in. The gave some nice gifts for all the customers that attended the show.

All the SA at this boutique also wear Rolex.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Seiko: SRPA21, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 09:48 AM   #24
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
My AD said..
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 09:57 AM   #25
s14roller
"TRF" Member

There is no list...
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 11:13 AM   #26
rover26c
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post

This is not true at my Rolex boutique.

I went to the new releases show at my Rolex boutique today. They still asked for the list that I am interesting in. The gave some nice gifts for all the customers that attended the show.

All the SA at this boutique also wear Rolex.
Wempe? Got some pics to share?
rover26c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 11:27 AM   #27
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:

The above is fantasy - I very much doubt Rolex want their watches available to anyone - if they were residuals would drop, the mystique would fade and demand would actually drop.

They are clearly driving to the more exclusive end of the market.

For decades, Rolex has been exclusive and readily available to anyone who... wait for it...anyone who had the money to actually buy one. Just because it is available doesn't mean everyone on the planet suddenly and magically has the money or desire to spend that kind of money on a watch. Give me a break. That's the Kool Aid talking.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 11:31 AM   #28
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
Hoopla at best
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 11:37 AM   #29
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
For decades, Rolex has been exclusive and readily available to anyone who... wait for it...anyone who had the money to actually buy one. Just because it is available doesn't mean everyone on the planet suddenly and magically has the money or desire to spend that kind of money on a watch. Give me a break. That's the Kool Aid talking.
How can something be both exclusive and readily available? It’s one or the other.

Rolex does not need everyone on the planet suddenly having money to spare to sell out completely many times over.

It just needs a fraction of a fraction of that.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2021, 11:44 AM   #30
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
^^ @teck21, so you are saying Rolex was never an exclusive item until now? Fascinating. So for decades, the efforts to create and promote exclusive brand recognition is just worthless (in your opinion) because customers could actually walk in and buy the product.

I disagree completely. It's the price that makes it exclusive. Only the people who can afford it can buy it, or the people who appreciate the rich history and tradition and are willing to pay the money for it. All of that stuff makes it exclusive. Why else are we here and why were people rewarding themselves for important milestones with Rolex before now?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote