The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 15 August 2018, 05:13 AM   #1
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Watch: yacht master
Need help!

Hi guys I finally justified to myself why to buy a Panerai now I have become obsessed. Here's my problem. I am looking for a watch that I can take to the beach, the pool, waterpark and not be worried about water damage. I have narrowed it down to 3 models. I like the submersibles its a little more under the radar and also prefer 44mm. I really like model pam 25 for the fact it being titanium but also see there's a newer version a pam 731. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons besides the price difference? Also contemplating the jlc deep sea in cermet. Thank you so much.
yachty 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 07:22 AM   #2
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
Hi guys I finally justified to myself why to buy a Panerai now I have become obsessed. Here's my problem. I am looking for a watch that I can take to the beach, the pool, waterpark and not be worried about water damage. I have narrowed it down to 3 models. I like the submersibles its a little more under the radar and also prefer 44mm. I really like model pam 25 for the fact it being titanium but also see there's a newer version a pam 731. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons besides the price difference? Also contemplating the jlc deep sea in cermet. Thank you so much.
If I recall correctly the PAM 731 is an e-boutique only model. I thought it had limited quantities. I think it's an interesting piece but the blue dial is a little less versatile. I never owned a PAM 25, but I did own its stainless steel brother the PAM 24. The only other major difference is the dial which did not have a waffle design like the PAM 25. I can attest that the Luminor Submersibles are well made and will certainly meet your needs The PAM 25 is now discontinued, but it should be easily obtainable from a second hand source at a good price. I wouldn't pay anything over $4,500-$5,000 for the PAM 24 or 25.

The only major downside to the PAM 24 and PAM 25 are the movements. They are reliable and serviceable, but they have a well known "wobble" in that you can feel the rotor winding while wearing on the wrist. It is not super noticeable, but you can hear and feel it if you give the watch a good shake.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 07:59 AM   #3
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Ok thank you so much. Anyone know about the movement on the 731? Is it in house? I take it the 24 is eta movement?
Old 15 August 2018, 08:25 AM   #4
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok thank you so much. Anyone know about the movement on the 731? Is it in house? I take it the 24 is eta movement?
The 24 and 25 are definitely ETA movements. The 731 also has an ETA movement, but I am unsure if it is the exactly same as the two aforementioned pieces. If you want a Submersible with a non-ETA movement, you're looking at the Luminor 1950 Submersibles.
Old 15 August 2018, 09:48 AM   #5
jarecki
"TRF" Member

Watch: it.
Dont’t overlook the 1024. It’s a great watch, and a great value for a beater. Yes, you give up on in-house movement, but it’s still a great looking watch...
jarecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 10:16 AM   #6
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarecki View Post
Dont’t overlook the 1024. It’s a great watch, and a great value for a beater. Yes, you give up on in-house movement, but it’s still a great looking watch...
Thank you I will look at it
Old 15 August 2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I adore my Pam 104. Super accurate and has every element of Panerai I wanted. These have the rotor wobble but it’s a good thing. The rotor wobble is smooth as glass and makes the watch feel alive.

Old 15 August 2018, 12:44 PM   #8
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post

The only major downside to the PAM 24 and PAM 25 are the movements. They are reliable and serviceable, but they have a well known "wobble" in that you can feel the rotor winding while wearing on the wrist. It is not super noticeable, but you can hear and feel it if you give the watch a good shake.

The “wobble” is just the movement saying hello/letting you know it’s there. It’s not a defect or sign of low quality, as even some Patek movements have noticeable rotor noise/movement.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 03:29 PM   #9
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The “wobble” is just the movement saying hello/letting you know it’s there. It’s not a defect or sign of low quality, as even some Patek movements have noticeable rotor noise/movement.
Oh I agree completely. The wobble is not indicative of any problems with the watch. I just found that when compared to other automatics, namely Rolex, it was noticeable and a downside for me (perhaps “major” was a strong adjective). It certainly wasn’t enough to disuade me from keeping the reference. I only ended up selling it to make room for and finance my BLNR.
Old 15 August 2018, 03:39 PM   #10
synequano
Banned

7750 do have stronger wobble as it's a tractor like tough movement

Even my JLC NSA have rotor wobble as it's also an unidirectional winding auto movt
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 11:06 PM   #11
Rex911
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 243 Sub
Wobble

I love the 'wobble' on my 243....also noticible on my SMP Pro Chrono.

Fantastic
Rex911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 11:49 PM   #12
nick c
Banned

My 505 and 332 the same, no big of a deal
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 12:43 AM   #13
Rwchisholm
Banned

I had a Pam 25 and wasn’t impressed.
I wear a 112 for everything: scuba diving, kite boarding, to the gym and just around the house. I’d go with a classic used 112 or 111. ETA movements are less expensive to service.

I’ve never had anyone comment on the Panerai. It flies under the radar compared to Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rwchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 01:02 AM   #14
w4rmk
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D-Blue
I picked up a titanium submersible 25 a few months ago. I absolutely love it. Its super comfortable and light to wear. Easily the most comfy watch in my collection. The waffle dial is awesome and the aged lume (not white) is just fantastic to look at. Overall I cannot say enough great things about these older now-discontinued Subs (either the 024 or the 025). If you are patient and keep searching you can find one in well-cared for condition around $4k after-market. Since Panerai has fallen out of favor with collectors (to some extent) there are some really great deals to be snatched up for those of us who still love them. I know because I've added 3 Panerai to my collection recently at make-me-smile prices.

w4rmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 02:10 AM   #15
synequano
Banned

If you're looking for even rarer subs,there are bimetal subs with bracelet (106 and 170 IIRC),typically they come with tritium dial and hands

Another rare breed of 7750 based sub-based pams are the arktos (092) and the GMT versions (arktos and north pole)

Despite using 7750,the wobble isn't that obvious in arktos model as the movement is covered with soft metal cage to increase its antimagnetic property but it makes the watch thicker....
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 04:25 AM   #16
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4rmk View Post
I picked up a titanium submersible 25 a few months ago. I absolutely love it. Its super comfortable and light to wear. Easily the most comfy watch in my collection. The waffle dial is awesome and the aged lume (not white) is just fantastic to look at. Overall I cannot say enough great things about these older now-discontinued Subs (either the 024 or the 025). If you are patient and keep searching you can find one in well-cared for condition around $4k after-market. Since Panerai has fallen out of favor with collectors (to some extent) there are some really great deals to be snatched up for those of us who still love them. I know because I've added 3 Panerai to my collection recently at make-me-smile prices.

Thanks for the response excellent piece. I love the titanium I went with the same model. Thank you all for your feedback!
Old 18 August 2018, 11:24 PM   #17
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Thanks again everyone. I end up going with the pam 25. It checked all the boxes. I wanted something I can wear on beach vacation or lounging by the pool and not worrying about taking it off if I jumped in. I like the dullness of the titanium and I know if I went with a different model I would baby it to much. My first panerai and I am obsessed to say the least. P.S. straps are on the way!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180816_1659081-768x1152.jpg (123.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 18 August 2018, 11:58 PM   #18
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Thanks again everyone. I end up going with the pam 25. It checked all the boxes. I wanted something I can wear on beach vacation or lounging by the pool and not worrying about taking it off if I jumped in. I like the dullness of the titanium and I know if I went with a different model I would baby it to much. My first panerai and I am obsessed to say the least. P.S. straps are on the way!!!!!
Very nice! Congratulations
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2018, 12:41 AM   #19
yachty 1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Very nice! Congratulations

Thank you!