The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2021, 02:37 AM   #1
erinbeckerton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Rolex GMT-Master II Reference 116710LN Guide

No doubt in my mind that this is one of the most popular models that Rolex has produced, or at least it has had its moment of "hype" or "fame". Definitely a watch that you can spot on tons of wrists, but I totally understand. This watch is a beauty, and with that the specifications behind this watch are perfect, of course. I read in https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...-116710ln.html that they literally took this model and improved it all around from its previous generation. Is this part of your collection or do you have the previous generation? I want to see comparisons, although I am sure there are many. It is not currently part of my collection because it has never stood out to me that much, just doesnt call to my horological heart. However, I really think it could be an everyday wear if I were to purchase it, and I could add some personal aesthetic (wear & tear) to it over the years. Just about finding it at the right place and price, Ill update the thread when i've got it!
erinbeckerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 02:46 AM   #2
Lemonvr6
"TRF" Member

I have one. It was the first Rolex that ever appealed to me. Bigger case, ceramic bezel.

Got one, and I wear my no date sub-c more.
Old 16 July 2021, 04:34 AM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Good luck hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 04:47 AM   #4
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I have the current mode and love it. It's the best travel companion!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1321.jpeg (170.6 KB, 1178 views)
GoingPlaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 05:11 AM   #5
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
I owned this watch...bought it for about $6.5k full set with stickers right as the BLNR came out. I never wore it and sold it two months later to fund a BLNR. I went back and forth the whole two months and still have thousands of comparison photos between the two.

If I had to do it again, I'd keep the GMT2c LN. It's the all time classic and the one that spearheaded the ceramic era and standardized the super case and maxi dial. It was a bold move at the time and this watch carried the weight. Having owned all three ceramic GMTs I can say that this one doesn't look as good in photos but in real life on the wrist it looks fantastic. It doubles as a Submariner but upon closer inspection you realize it's much more.
It's the ultimate one Rolex option if one can ever say that....one Rolex, the irony.

For me it's the BLRO, GMT2C LN then BLNR....and the Pepsi only wins because I like the contrast of the bezel colors against the black dial and jubilee.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 05:44 AM   #6
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I love the LN model, If I were to have only 1 Rolex that would be the one. I like the diversity of what I have now but if it was ever to be scaled down to just 1 watch the LN would be the winner. I now see why they say the LN model ruins it for people debating on a Sub.
Old 16 July 2021, 08:59 AM   #7
mwatt65
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN 16610LV
I've worn mine every day since late 2007, I have a 16610 that I stopped wearing the day I bought this, it feels cheap, love the maxi case.
mwatt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 09:47 AM   #8
1968scode
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♛ 116710LN
My first Rolex after no luck finding a sub. It has such a subtle bling factor with the PCLs (I realize “subtle” and “bling” are opposites lol)

Wore it today…

1968scode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 09:54 AM   #9
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I had one as my "interim" Rolex until my number came up for the BLRO. Alas, my wife would not let me keep both (something about redundancy and not needing multiple GMT watches... I dunno, I wasn't listening), so I sold my LN and actually came out ahead. I now look back at pictures from the last 3 years and think "Man, I miss that watch." I think it could have been a one watch collection for me if I had really wanted it to.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 09:55 AM   #10
RolexRon456
"TRF" Member

I wore the LN daily for 8 years until I got the new daily. Goes with any outfit, casual or dressed up, a lot of compliments, and it’s slowly going up in value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 81382FAD-B630-41C6-B1A1-5FF71B3E4FAA.jpeg (147.1 KB, 1063 views)
RolexRon456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 02:25 PM   #11
Porsche
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
my first Rolex as well. Was aiming for the Sub when this was released.. I preferred the smaller numbers on the bezel of the sub, but was won over by...
- ceramic bezel
- new clasp
- newer movement

No regrets. It was a daily my wearer for a decade, and it took a heap of bashing, camping, swimming, (even beach volleybal!), home-building etc. Just had it serviced and looks like new again. The classic all-rounder

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 12:37 AM   #12
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex, as well! Loved all the GMT bicolored bezel variants. But, I preferred my GMT in subtle monotone black and loved the green 24hr hand detail. Subsequently, I acquired a Polar Explorer II. I love to travel. Here’s a photo of my LN after I fitted it with a black with green stripe Rubber B in preparation for a wet vacation trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 July 2021, 01:54 AM   #13
Merlin69
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
LN is my first Rolex. It's my business travel companion, usually.
Love it and green details are super top.
Old 23 July 2021, 03:00 AM   #14
erinbeckerton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkzilla View Post

My first Rolex, as well! Loved all the GMT bicolored bezel variants. But, I preferred my GMT in subtle monotone black and loved the green 24hr hand detail. Subsequently, I acquired a Polar Explorer II. I love to travel. Here’s a photo of my LN after I fitted it with a black with green stripe Rubber B in preparation for a wet vacation trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great shot, I will definitely have to look into getting a strap like that, such a great look!
erinbeckerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 03:46 PM   #15
Nutbeem
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, Hulk, GMT II
So I have a lot of GMTs… and I LOVE the LN.

It’s just badass (to quote a Johnny Lawrence), and with the PCL’s it has bling.

It’s just an extremely well balanced piece. There is much to love about all GMTs but the LN is so solid - and a relative bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nutbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 04:57 PM   #16
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
I own the LN as well. There is a hint of bling, very balanced, Green GMT hand = Rolex Heritage. The wife compliments its inability to clash with dress.. (Hers of course) A Timeless piece that will never leave the collection.
Unlike the OP, have not spotted any in the wild. I've seen plenty of Subs, OP, a few Daytonas and YM but not the LN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210605_193925.jpg (169.5 KB, 742 views)
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:04 PM   #17
Master_Grogu
Banned

It’s a very cool watch. I always find myself smiling when I see them.

“Oh that’s a sub… wait! It’s a GMT! Cool!”
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:09 PM   #18
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
It's nice to see the good old LN receive some long overdue praise. Which is well deserved in my opinion. This model was largely overshadowed by the BLNR and BLRO while still in production. Understandably so though a pity nonetheless. But it is, always in my opinion, the most balanced GMT ever produced albeit borderline boring at times. It was my first Rolex. I moved it towards more fun stuff and moved on ever since. Great ownership experience, lots of fond memories, much gratitude, zero regrets.

upload images
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 05:11 PM   #19
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I bought the TT model before the SS was available.

A nice Rolex.

I may still add the SS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D7ACA902-B834-4412-92D2-37B1117A352D.jpeg (149.4 KB, 726 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 09:43 PM   #20
gearguywb
2024 Pledge Member

LN was my daily wear for over 8 years. Loved it. Got the itch for something new and sold it....regret that decision!!
gearguywb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2021, 10:23 PM   #21
Master_Grogu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguywb View Post
LN was my daily wear for over 8 years. Loved it. Got the itch for something new and sold it....regret that decision!!
Never sell! You always end up regretting it!
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 12:11 AM   #22
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Have to agree that the LN is really the best sub and gmt combo. I actually bought a sub bracelet with the glide lock and wear that with the LN. I still have the PCL bracelet, but it just sits in the safe. This model should definitely be a staple in a smaller 2-3 watch collection IMO.
bwdellorf76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 03:37 AM   #23
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Clapton knows what's up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eric-Calpton-Rolex-GMT-Master.jpg (270.7 KB, 645 views)
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 10:44 PM   #24
mschafer
"TRF" Member

The only regret I have is that i didn’t buy two when they were reasonably priced and available, and be able to sell one today, essentially making it a free watch.
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2021, 11:25 PM   #25
Philadelphialawyer1
"TRF" Member

The discontinued versions both ss and tt are two of my favorites. So much so that I am looking at getting a tt (yellow gold version) but the premium on the secondary market for an unworn one is tough when compared to a new tt sub. Either way, a great piece that was under appreciated at the time.
Philadelphialawyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 12:06 AM   #26
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
LN fan here too.
My LN comes in Blue lume although I realised some are in Green lume, when did the transition happen?

Old 26 July 2021, 12:56 AM   #27
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX* View Post
LN fan here too.
My LN comes in Blue lume although I realised some are in Green lume, when did the transition happen?

Around 2013-2014
Old 26 July 2021, 01:53 AM   #28
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Have both the 5 and 6 digit LN’s.

Without doubt the most usable and versatile reference in the entire Rolex Lineup.

My current 6 digit LN is on a brushed sub bracelet and is pretty much my daily. I preferred the brushed links of the sub bracelet and the ease of adjustment of the glidelock, but I don’t love the size of the glidelock clasp, it’s too large and clunky, having said that, it would be fine over a wet suit I guess, otherwise on the wrist it’s just not very elegant.

My LN has travelled the world with me for years and years. From Bishkek to Los Angeles and everywhere in between. I’ve worn it in the back streets of Erbil and high class restaurants of LA. I wouldn’t of felt comfortable doing that wearing the Pepsi (and I have that as well).

The LN truely was and remains the perfect GMT when you need a reliable time zone watch that’s tough, accurate and needs to be understated whilst classy when it needs to be.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 03:26 AM   #29
ROLEX*
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Do you guys miss to differentiate between day/night without the bicolour bezel like the Batman and Pepsi? Guess that’s the benefit of the colours
Old 26 July 2021, 03:38 AM   #30
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX* View Post
Do you guys miss to differentiate between day/night without the bicolour bezel like the Batman and Pepsi? Guess that’s the benefit of the colours
It's nice to behold but I think it's overrated. Didn't miss its functionality while I had my LN.

Tags
116710 gmt , rolex gmt-master , rolex watches