The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 24 December 2018, 07:20 AM   #1
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Rolex Yacht-Master II Video Review - Would like some feedback

hello everyone my name is Kevin Leo I have a YouTube account dedicated to Rolex reviews I started recently.

I've created my first upload around a month ago and showed it to a lot of family and friends and they said they think it is pretty good but I wanted to know other people's opinions and what you guys think I could improve upon for the next video as I am going to do a review on an older Daytona.

https://youtu.be/TBF9ZlIntk8

If you guys have any feedback please let me know!

(also this is my first ever professional video I've ever made for YouTube so I guess keep that in mind)
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 09:42 AM   #2
dalethorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: U-Boat Capsoil
It's very professional, but more like a sales video than a video of a personal watch. I had the president in yellow 18k from 1985 through 1993 and wore it every day. It broke down three times, and from what I hear, the solid gold versions aren't meant for long-term daily wear. But this Yacht Master seems to beg to be worn every day, around sea water no less, so I dunno.

I saw a pre-owned (but never worn) Yacht Master at a local dealer for $21k today - 18k rose gold case and fabric strap, and it was tempting, but again I dunno about wearing it all day for several years.
dalethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2018, 10:00 AM   #3
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalethorn View Post
It's very professional, but more like a sales video than a video of a personal watch. I had the president in yellow 18k from 1985 through 1993 and wore it every day. It broke down three times, and from what I hear, the solid gold versions aren't meant for long-term daily wear. But this Yacht Master seems to beg to be worn every day, around sea water no less, so I dunno.

I saw a pre-owned (but never worn) Yacht Master at a local dealer for $21k today - 18k rose gold case and fabric strap, and it was tempting, but again I dunno about wearing it all day for several years.

Thanks for the feedback! do you mind explaining what made it feel like a sales video? I obviously don't work for Rolex so I don't want it too look like that (unless I got sponsored somehow)

I had my Yacht-Master 1 from 2006 to 2018 and had it on my wrist very regularly (I would say 3 to 5 times a week) never had a problem with it. The only thing that was messed up for lack of a better word was that bezel got scratched over NY carelessness (was 16 when I got it so my mind wasn't always thinking about the safety of the watch unfortunately)

I've never seen a Rose Gold version in person it sounds beautiful! let me know if you ever get it would love to see how it looks on your wrist.

Thanks for the feedback btw

EDIT: forgot to mention I live in Florida so I'm around water every once in a while (pool or ocean) and never had a problem
Old 27 December 2018, 11:12 AM   #4
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Anyone else care to add anything? supposed to be filming a video for the first week of January and wanted a few suggestions on what to fix/add/change etc

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 27 December 2018, 01:20 PM   #5
MCHI09
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Hi Kevin, I like the video overall. Nice break screens, good lighting, good VO.
A few nits...
- Why the car keys in the first shot?
- Still don't really understand how the bezel works on the regatta timing, would have been nice to see that all the way through to "race starts" to make it really clear
- The crystal looks a little dirty in one the shots, maybe because stickers still on?
Hope that helps!
MCHI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 01:31 PM   #6
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHI09 View Post
Hi Kevin, I like the video overall. Nice break screens, good lighting, good VO.
A few nits...
- Why the car keys in the first shot?
- Still don't really understand how the bezel works on the regatta timing, would have been nice to see that all the way through to "race starts" to make it really clear
- The crystal looks a little dirty in one the shots, maybe because stickers still on?
Hope that helps!
For the car keys I honestly don't have a good answer for that besides the fact that this was my first YouTube video and a lot of shots I filmed have little oddities in them. Will definitely try not to do that again next week.

I thought I explained it decently well but I will be sure to add more detail next time and maybe if I ever redo the YMII add additional info

and for the Crystal being dirty do you mind telling me exactly what time in the video was it dirty if you don't mind? I definitely want clean looking watches the only thing I can think of is fingerprint/smudges? will try to keep it more clean for the next review

thank you so much for your response it is truly appreciated

Old 28 December 2018, 02:49 AM   #7
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
A few thoughts:

- as MCHI09 stated, I didn't get the timing thing either - maybe explain why I need to rotate the bezel? It was neat, because I didn't realize that the YMII had that feature. But I still don't really understand the purpose. Boat race, OK, so why 10 minutes?

- TAKE THE PLASTICS OFF OF YOUR WATCH!

- The transitions, effects, all that were good. Nice but not distracting.

- ditto the music. Not too loud, not too distracting.

- I detest handheld (esp jerky) camera work. You had a minimum of that (good).

- The narration was good. You have a pleasant voice and there were no "ums" and "uh" scattered in there like so many people do. Those folks either can't think straight or don't plan ahead (or both). Just be careful that you don't get too monotone.

- The other suggestion I may make is to leave out things like the warranty card, if you're going to hide or blur the serial number. That's just distracting and unnecessary.

Overall, a very good first effort!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 03:20 AM   #8
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
A few thoughts:

- as MCHI09 stated, I didn't get the timing thing either - maybe explain why I need to rotate the bezel? It was neat, because I didn't realize that the YMII had that feature. But I still don't really understand the purpose. Boat race, OK, so why 10 minutes?

- TAKE THE PLASTICS OFF OF YOUR WATCH!

- The transitions, effects, all that were good. Nice but not distracting.

- ditto the music. Not too loud, not too distracting.

- I detest handheld (esp jerky) camera work. You had a minimum of that (good).

- The narration was good. You have a pleasant voice and there were no "ums" and "uh" scattered in there like so many people do. Those folks either can't think straight or don't plan ahead (or both). Just be careful that you don't get too monotone.

- The other suggestion I may make is to leave out things like the warranty card, if you're going to hide or blur the serial number. That's just distracting and unnecessary.

Overall, a very good first effort!
- We'll definitely be making a priority of explaining better for the next upload, I honestly have no excuse and I will try better for the next video.

- This is actually the only watch I have that has the plastic still on so my next videos shouldn't have any plastics on them at all.

About the "ums" and "uh" that always bothers me when watching a video. So with that in mind I try to get a general idea of what to say before the narration and write a small script and usually after I see all the pieces of the video finally together I then add to and remove from the script. I'm glad that stood out I'm kinda proud of myself now lol.

Thanks for the feedback it is very much appreciated will definitely be updating my notes before the next video gets edited.

Old 13 February 2019, 03:38 PM   #9
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Hey guys! just wanted to share with you guys that I've hit a small milestone but a milestone none the less!

I've passed 1k views on the Yacht-Master II review! it makes me so happy to see that so many people watched it and left comments I know I'm a small YouTuber but I see a bright future with the platform and it's something I do in my spare time so it's a very fun and cool experience all round!

RR

Old 20 February 2019, 01:18 PM   #10
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Awesome good luck yachtmaster II beautiful watch
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote