The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2019, 09:48 AM   #1
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
AP15400 - White Dial - New to Me

around 2 weeks ago i decided i had a brilliant investment idea (any excuse when you're an addict) and i bought a 15400 white dial from davidsw. it is pre-owned but looks pretty good.

it is a new watch thread so we need a photo

the royal oak "look" has captivated me for a long time. i always thought a 15202 would be nice however by the time i was ready to buy one prices had gone mad. also i like a second hand and if there is one thing i know about watches, preferences like that matter.

also i tried on a white face 15202 at sydney watch exchange and whilst i understand the thinness of that watch is a technical achievement, i didn't vibe with the wrist feel.

anyway i got the 15400 2 weeks ago and sent it straight to a jeweller so i could get it valued and then jnsured and so yesterday was the first day i had it sized for me and could wear it.

one of the things i noticed on ap threads is people saying "rolex owners wouldn't know, AP is at another level" or something to that effect.

i used to look at my rolex watch (usually a sub, recently a smurf) and think "as if".

having worn it for one day and having spent one night looking in wonder at it i can only agree. there is a level of detail that i don't really have language to describe. i don't normally find myself in the bathroom at near midnight looking at my watch dial for 10 minutes and waiting to see it click over the date for the first time. :-)

so many facets and bevels, alternating polish with brush, delicate elements joined together to make something more than the sum of parts.

yesterday i held a tudor gmt in my hands and side on it looks like a big piece of iron (a problem i've always had with what are otherwise some nice designs).

the rolex does not look like that. but it does feel like that a bit now. the ap does not. the ap feels light and sophisticated. my favourite bits:
1. bracelet - i definitely think the oyster bracelet from rolex (with glidelock) is amazing - a triumph - and so practical. but the ap bracelet is likely the most technically accomplished object i have ever held. it is intricate, functional and highly beautiful. popping the clasp is an event!
2. writing of "Royal Oak" on caseback - very beautiful
3. crown (no crown guards and the block sides of it are pretty - the mechanism winds smoothly with no feeling of grit betwixt gears etc.) the writing of AP on the end of the crown is an example of the next levelness of craft that goes into these watches.
4. dial - pretty amazing but so much said i won't bother grasping for synonyms about it
5. mirror around dial in rehaut - just an odd detail but wow

legibility in my lounge room last night was terrible, however i'm not concerned. in daylight legibility is pretty good.

lume looks pretty cool too.

seems to keep pretty good time. i think it is in order of +/- 4 s but this is subject to confirmation.

anyway very happy and lucky i think to own this special watch.
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 10:24 AM   #2
mineral
"TRF" Member

Congrats and definitely you made good choice on AP 15400 white.

I have the white dial jumbo 15202 and white dial 15400, they look very different in term of dial color and case thickness.

I actually prefer the jumbo 15202 more. But I do enjoy both very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 February 2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Cravings7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
Congrats and definitely you made good choice on AP 15400 white.

I have the white dial jumbo 15202 and white dial 15400, they look very different in term of dial color and case thickness.

I actually prefer the jumbo 15202 more. But I do enjoy both very much.

Pretty combo
Cravings7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:27 PM   #4
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
you own both the 15202 and 15400 in white? wow. i thought i was being obsessive owning two subs but i guess when we know what we like we know. that 15202 looks great and the date window is so different.

i must admit i wonder if the 15400 isn't a bit big and the 15202 did not feel like that.

you say you prefer the 15202 but which one do you wear more?
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:59 PM   #5
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_gray View Post
you own both the 15202 and 15400 in white? wow. i thought i was being obsessive owning two subs but i guess when we know what we like we know. that 15202 looks great and the date window is so different.

i must admit i wonder if the 15400 isn't a bit big and the 15202 did not feel like that.

you say you prefer the 15202 but which one do you wear more?

I actually do not wear them often or no wrist time for them at all. I wear the vintage Rolex most of the time.

The slimmer profile of jumbo 15202 is a plus for me since I have flat wrist and it sits perfectly on my wrist.

Do enjoy your 15400 and it is rewarding experience owning the Royal Oak.

Old 23 February 2019, 01:32 AM   #6
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Absolutely beautiful!
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:10 AM   #7
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
Hello, I almost bought this white dial from David a nd am glad you did. Don’t rush the bluesy in selling... I fell out of,love with the bluesy for a few years... I then wore it and adore it now. The white dial 15400 would be my choice if my wrists weren’t so small. Unfortunately, it would be too,large on me, I fear. It looks stunning.
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 12:59 PM   #8
Aplover5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Congratulations! Most addicts are doing more (or less!) in bathrooms at midnight!��
Aplover5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Congrats from another 15400st owner - it's wrist art!
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote