The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD D-BLUE
Watch box for those with smaller wrists

Hey guys! So I bought a Wolf 10 watch brown [faux] leather with orange interior watch box. The box is pretty nice but I’m running into the issue of not being able to securely put watches on the pillows. Because of my smaller wrist size and the fact that the pillows don’t have much give, I can’t close the bracelet on the Polar Exp II around the pillow. It just rests on the pillow with the bracelet kind of just shoved underneath. I’m afraid once I start getting more watches the same issue will happen. Is this really that big of a deal? Does anyone else have (or had) this issue? Could anyone by chance recommend a different watch box with pillows that have a little more “give” in them? Searching for watch boxes on here didn’t turn up many posts. I also still have a few days left in the return window so any comments/recommendations would be much appreciated! Thank you everyone!! Also, if I posted this in the wrong spot I apologize!

Last edited by Uga2007; 20 February 2019 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Unsure if I posted this in the right place or not?
Uga2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 01:49 PM   #2
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc

Not sure of the dimensions but I use a Chiyoda

seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 01:52 PM   #3
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i have 6ish inch wrists and use this with no problems

https://www.wolf1834.com/item/305628/watch-rolls/
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:35 PM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
Not sure of the dimensions but I use a Chiyoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

I've familiarity with both the Chiyoda (my wife uses it and has very small wrists; she leaves her watches on clasped) and the Wolf roll.

The Chiyoda is definitely a nice winder and can be found at a good price.

My wife uses the winder for her watches because she had difficulty winding watches due to arthritis. I use the Wolf roll as well as watch boxes that came with the watches. The reason is that continually running watches shortens the service cycle on the watch. The better thing is to let the watch wind down when not in use and wind it when it's time to use it. As far as 10 piece boxes. There's nothing magical about Wolf or any manufacturer. Find one that fits your watches.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your input I appreciate it! I was hoping to get more feedback on this but I got enough to decide to ship back the Wolf box to Amazon today. Back to the drawing board!
Old 22 February 2019, 06:52 AM   #6
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

I’ll check this out on amazon and see if it works, thank you!
Old 22 February 2019, 06:53 AM   #7
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I've familiarity with both the Chiyoda (my wife uses it and has very small wrists; she leaves her watches on clasped) and the Wolf roll.

The Chiyoda is definitely a nice winder and can be found at a good price.

My wife uses the winder for her watches because she had difficulty winding watches due to arthritis. I use the Wolf roll as well as watch boxes that came with the watches. The reason is that continually running watches shortens the service cycle on the watch. The better thing is to let the watch wind down when not in use and wind it when it's time to use it. As far as 10 piece boxes. There's nothing magical about Wolf or any manufacturer. Find one that fits your watches.
Returned the Wolf box today, thank you!
Old 22 February 2019, 07:06 AM   #8
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I would just like to add that you should be careful forcing a smaller watch bracelet into a cushion. Overtime the cushion pushing tightly against a bracelet (especially a vintage piece) can cause stretching.

I've been looking for a ideal watch box for a long time but most are designed to fit 7 inch wrists
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:13 AM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I would just like to add that you should be careful forcing a smaller watch bracelet into a cushion. Overtime the cushion pushing tightly against a bracelet (especially a vintage piece) can cause stretching.

I've been looking for a ideal watch box for a long time but most are designed to fit 7 inch wrists
Explain how they cause stretching? Does this cause wear on the sleeves or on the pins? I don't believe for a second that his is the case. The metal doesn't stretch but the metal is removed with time and movement of metal on metal (or metal on ceramic in newer pieces).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:21 AM   #10
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I have a smaller wrist and have swapped the larger cylinder roll the watch goes around for a squishy pillow that I can then place in the watch case.

Also I have purchased, cheap, but nicely finished, smaller, more oval rolls on eBay imported from a Chinese seller. Took like a month to arrive. Fitted like a glove.

I bought these, they come in three colors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/watch-cushi...53.m1438.l2649

I use the Chiyoda winder with the pillows that you can remove some stuffing from.
SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:40 AM   #11
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have 7" wrists, and the Wolf 10 watch box is what I use, and most of my watches are loose on the pillows. I've had other watch boxes, and tend to have tighter fits on my bracelet watches, so have gotten rid of them. The Wolf box has been great for me though.
Old 22 February 2019, 07:51 AM   #12
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Explain how they cause stretching? Does this cause wear on the sleeves or on the pins? I don't believe for a second that his is the case. The metal doesn't stretch but the metal is removed with time and movement of metal on metal (or metal on ceramic in newer pieces).
Well, I'm just using a bit of logic unless that is wrong?

If the cushion is X inches in size and it designed to fit bracelets sized at 7 inches with minimal friction or push against the bracelet then logically speaking if try to put a smaller bracelet in the same cushion then the cushion will be pushing against watch even tighter.

You are basically forcing a larger object through a smaller hole. Overtime the consistency of the cushion pushing against the bracelet will put stress against the pins, etc.

And you are correct, metal against metal. The metal pins being pushed will be rubbing against the metal links thus wearing down metal creating eventual stretch (over time).

It's not the actual cushion causing stretching but the state where you leave your bracelet in. To an extreme it's no different than an individual pulling a bracelet in opposite directions... it's the pins between the links that will eventually be eroded...

(well, of course this my theory and logic. I'm happy to hear if others have more ideas as I really love some the watch boxes in the market right now, but my watches simply don't fit).
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:54 AM   #13
JodyHighroller
Banned

I have the same problem which is why I never considered any of Wolfs’ products.

I ended up having a custom watch box made from a seller of Etsy. I inquired with him if he could include smaller pillows than usual, which he was able to accommodate. The pillows also have a flap on the back so I can take out stuffing to fine tune the fitment if needed. It took about a month after ordering before receiving, but the wait was well worth it.

I too had the same concern regarding pillows being too large and causing bracelet stretching. Thought it was me just being paranoid? I didn’t find too much info on it when searching online, but as a precaution I remove the pillow stuffing so the watch isn’t on there too tight. Love to hear more about the topic though! Historically, I’ve always kept my watches in their respective travel clam shells with foam inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JodyHighroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:06 AM   #14
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
This is debatable.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 09:09 AM   #15
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, I'm just using a bit of logic unless that is wrong?

If the cushion is X inches in size and it designed to fit bracelets sized at 7 inches with minimal friction or push against the bracelet then logically speaking if try to put a smaller bracelet in the same cushion then the cushion will be pushing against watch even tighter.

You are basically forcing a larger object through a smaller hole. Overtime the consistency of the cushion pushing against the bracelet will put stress against the pins, etc.

And you are correct, metal against metal. The metal pins being pushed will be rubbing against the metal links thus wearing down metal creating eventual stretch (over time).

It's not the actual cushion causing stretching but the state where you leave your bracelet in. To an extreme it's no different than an individual pulling a bracelet in opposite directions... it's the pins between the links that will eventually be eroded...

(well, of course this my theory and logic. I'm happy to hear if others have more ideas as I really love some the watch boxes in the market right now, but my watches simply don't fit).

Having spent 35 years working with stainless steel in a variety of mechanical applications, I see your point. If the stress is evenly distributed and the wrist size is 6.5", for example, then the Rolex bracelet should handle the stress without an issue if the pillow is designed for a 7" bracelet. Rolex sells all watches with a pillow that is snug in a box. They do not have an issue.

However, should you force, for example, a 5.5" bracelet into a 7.0" pillow in a winder with uneven pressure then, to your point, eventually you would see some stretch.

In my world we found most damage to stainless mechanical parts was due to a combination of uneven stress and abrasives getting into moving parts.
Old 22 February 2019, 09:57 AM   #16
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
This is debatable.
Debatable means maybe yes, maybe no. From a risk management standpoint, one should assume yes.

I have this problem with my Orbita winder, which uses a resilient rubber cushion. I even got the smaller cushion intended for smaller wrists, and it's still too big. It's no problem with my Sub, since I can adjust the Glidelock out to fit the cushion, but on other, less adjustable watches, I run into issues of forcing the bracelet closed. My solution has been to wrap a rubber band around the cushion to squeeze it into a more condensed shape, to the point where my watches close without force or excess tension. Works great, even if it's a bit ugly. I don't see it once the watch is around the cushion.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 11:39 AM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I have heard the best way to put a smaller sized bracelet onto a larger cushion is to close the bracelet, squeeze the cushion, and then slide the bracelet on. Just throwing it out there.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:09 PM   #18
lisalisa
"TRF" Member

I have a wolf winder and I remembered I called the company and they sent me the smaller pillows for my watches bc my wrist is 5.5inches. I don’t even think they charged me for them.

lisalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:23 PM   #19
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Debatable means maybe yes, maybe no. From a risk management standpoint, one should assume yes.
Sure, that's the safe bet. My view is that a pillow is not going to exert enough outward force to actually stretch stainless steel. Keeping in mind, we all refer to "stretching" bracelets here as actually eroding bracelets from movement, which doesn't occur on a winder at all.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:29 PM   #20
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa View Post
I have a wolf winder and I remembered I called the company and they sent me the smaller pillows for my watches bc my wrist is 5.5inches. I don’t even think they charged me for them.

Good information. No reason to put extra stress on a bracelet. That’s excellent customer service.
Old 27 January 2020, 02:37 PM   #21
Uga2007
"TRF" Member

Finally got a watch box! Wolf 4584029 Windsor Watch Box. Several of the Amazon reviews say not for people with larger wrists as the pillows are small. So this one is perfect for me lol! I’m happy with it overall. Seems to be pretty well made. But now I’m afraid the empty slots will slowly drive me mad and I’ll have to fill them up. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Deepsea Sea-Dweller D-BLUE 126660
Old 12 August 2020, 08:04 AM   #22
Shirleyy
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the recommendation!
Shirleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2020, 08:10 AM   #23
jimly
Banned

Watch: JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uga2007 View Post
Finally got a watch box! Wolf 4584029 Windsor Watch Box. Several of the Amazon reviews say not for people with larger wrists as the pillows are small. So this one is perfect for me lol! I’m happy with it overall. Seems to be pretty well made. But now I’m afraid the empty slots will slowly drive me mad and I’ll have to fill them up. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Nice collection
jimly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 04:25 AM   #24
fizz
"TRF" Member

Hi Uga2007, I have the same problem and was looking at the Wolf Windsor box too.

Before I pull the trigger, can I enquire, what is your wrist size?
fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2021, 05:04 AM   #25
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

I use this. I have a 6.25 wrist

https://www.amazon.com/Lifomenz-Co-C...3806235&sr=8-5
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2021, 08:27 AM   #26
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Buben and zorweg work well for my 6.5” wrists

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 03:32 AM   #27
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa View Post

Was the new pillow significantly smaller than the original?
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 04:53 AM   #28
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
I received a Wolf box as a gift from a seller and tried it for a group of watches that are set for my 7" wrist. They don't sit tightly on the cushions and the cushions move around in the case not holding the watches securely enough to offer them protection in the box. That together with the lack of quality for this particular box causes me to look for a better product. I guess it's good that I didn't have to spend money for the box!

train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2023, 05:01 AM   #29
jqian
Banned

$6 watch pillow solves your problem
https://www.amazon.com/Velvet-Bracel...3918034&sr=8-8
jqian is offline   Reply With Quote