The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 February 2019, 10:04 PM   #61
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

My personal preference would be Rolex Sub.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:04 PM   #62
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
I just feel a Rolex is a great foundation piece for a collection. Whether you move onto to more expensive brands, there is always a place for a Rolex. Robust, reliable, classic, versatile, and retains value well.

I'm not a fan of the ROO at all but do you.
Well said

I know I’m in the minority here, but rubber straps just aren’t my thing.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:06 PM   #63
Rolexlover1992
Banned

Actually where i live if i wear my 5711 it draws the most attention .
Rolexlover1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:59 PM   #64
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
Kinda strange question on Rolex fan page
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:27 PM   #65
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Option 2;

Not a fan of any AP, they are stuck in the seventies design wise , I don't like the Nautilus either, definitely in the minority here.

Value retention is a wrong argument to choose a watch imho. Not so long ago the 116610LV was not that loved as it is now and you could get them with a discount. Hypes come and go.

Submariner date, there you have it, instead of looking outdated it's a classic.
Lots of people have them can be argued, I really don't see a lot of Rolex in everyday life.
It will be a faithful companion for life
Agree. I feel it’s like the emperors new clothes with AP and nautilus. Take off the logo and no one would look twice at them. If there was a market for the design it would be knocked off by Michael kors and others.

As far as value retention, my 16610 was had for 3250. I think they have done quite well in that regulars lol.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:30 PM   #66
nick c
Banned

For everyday watch. Go Rolex.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:34 PM   #67
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Black Sub as it’s the best all-arounder....AP Diver and Hulk are awesome but not “only” warches IMHO (I have them all, except my AP is the 42mm Ceramic bezel Vampire).

No matter which way you go, there isn’t a BAD decision! 👍🏽
Old 21 February 2019, 11:41 PM   #68
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Sub date.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 11:50 PM   #69
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I had the AP Diver, although I'd bought it used and with the appropriately chunky ROO bracelet rather than the usual rubber, kept it for about 6 months then let it go....
Even without the bracelet, there just seemed too much metal relative to the dial and having to unscrew the secondary crown to twiddle the bezel was a pain, ( i like to twiddle), and on a dive watch, I'd argue, not the best design... Of your three, I'd go for the Sub date, free choice, none of them...
Old 22 February 2019, 01:33 AM   #70
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Value retention should not be a factor on these choices at all. Buy what you like and will wear and own a long time.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:36 AM   #71
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
The Hulk is a great first time Rolex. The only downside is that it’s going to set the bar too high for the next watches in your collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:46 AM   #72
Kaioken x20
Banned

Watch: 116618 or 116688?
It's probably safer for you to wear a dress watch in london with all the knife crime anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
that is the perfect justification when you are buying a watch for other people's benefit. Its why i wear a Patek when i want to be low key, no one cares.
Kaioken x20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:53 AM   #73
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

The Rolex seems like a great foundation watch for any direction you want to go in. All great watches though
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 01:53 AM   #74
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Go Rolex, perfect to build a collection off. Regardless of how large that collection grows.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:00 AM   #75
RolyMoly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowton23 View Post
for long term i would say rolex for the reasons stated above....but i also would consider an omega a proper watch so maybe we are from different perspectives

I’m with this guy. A Seamaster is a very proper watch. I think AP might be too far of a cry for you. And the other thing that you mentioned which isn’t really true is that you can buy a Sub date anywhere, not right now you can’t. Same with the Hulk. Not from an authorized dealer anyway.

Gold Bluesy Sub 116618LB
RG Daytona on Oysterflex 116515LN
Milgauss 116400GV
Breitling Aerospace 42mm
Casio GShock
RolyMoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:13 AM   #76
georgekart
"TRF" Member

AP is on another level from Rolex, that being said if I wanted AP I'd definitely go for white dial 15400 (or preferably 15500 with white dial if they release one). If you like ROO, go for it. But I personally think Sub is a better everyday watch.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:18 AM   #77
Dean88
"TRF" Member

Sub date easy to get at AD and doesn't hold value well? Wow
Dean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:35 AM   #78
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'd get the Diver then get the LVc and sell the SMP.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:38 AM   #79
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Option 2;

Not a fan of any AP, they are stuck in the seventies design wise , I don't like the Nautilus either, definitely in the minority here.

Value retention is a wrong argument to choose a watch imho. Not so long ago the 116610LV was not that loved as it is now and you could get them with a discount. Hypes come and go.

Submariner date, there you have it, instead of looking outdated it's a classic.
Lots of people have them can be argued, I really don't see a lot of Rolex in everyday life.
It will be a faithful companion for life
Classic or even more old fashioned ie stuck in the 50s? Rolex watches are cool but look like everything else, brands should always be given extra plus points for daring to go outside the safe mainstream.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:41 AM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Agree. I feel it’s like the emperors new clothes with AP and nautilus. Take off the logo and no one would look twice at them. If there was a market for the design it would be knocked off by Michael kors and others.

As far as value retention, my 16610 was had for 3250. I think they have done quite well in that regulars lol.
And if you took the Rolex logo off not only would no one buy one but no one could even tell what brand they even were, so this is the Emperor's New Clothes on acid.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:42 AM   #81
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
the diver is extremely top heavy. it is horrid in my honest opinion unless you have a very large wrist. construction wise they are both durable and well made. the wrist presence is greater with the AP diver by far.
No it isn't as the strap is wide and sturdy, the DSSD is the real top heavy watch.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:43 AM   #82
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
And if you took the Rolex logo off not only would no one buy one but no one could even tell what brand they even were, so this is the Emperor's New Clothes on acid.

They actually do. They have the most copied design period. People buy Rolex designs from all kind of brands. No one is lining up to copy the RO or nautilus as they can’t make $$ on those designs. If they could, they would.

Old 22 February 2019, 06:44 AM   #83
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig722 View Post
Already tried them all on but still can't make up my mind
Well, let us know what you decide!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 06:46 AM   #84
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
They actually do. They have the most copied design period. People buy Rolex designs from all kind of brands. No one is lining up to copy the RO or nautilus as they can’t make $$ on those designs. If they could, they would.

The Sub is copied from the BP FF so yes that design is a world beater. As for no market for the Nautilus and RO have a look at their resales and pound for pound there is more demand for them than the Sub, far more in the Naut's case.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:52 AM   #85
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Sub is copied from the BP FF so yes that design is a world beater. As for no market for the Nautilus and RO have a look at their resales and pound for pound there is more demand for them than the Sub, far more in the Naut's case.

Resale was not my point. The datejust is also among the most copied style. I have several friends with seiko’s that look identical. The resale of the nautilus and RO have to do with brand recognition and limited supply.

My point was that Rolex has the most iconic designs. Listen no offense those designs are unique and very much reflect the era they were created in. But they are in no way nearly as classic as the form, shape, and style of a
Sub or datejust. If the shape of the Royal oak or nautilus could make lesser brands money they would make a knock off.

Old 22 February 2019, 06:54 AM   #86
tourspecgolfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 OR
My first "proper" was an AP 15400OR and I wanted it because I thought everyone had a ROLEX and it was such a mainstream brand.

Years later I saw a pic of the 116500ln and just had to have it. In the last 6 months, I got hooked on Rolex and bought a few more all gray market over MSRP :)

Now I am kind of bored with Rolex and going toward my 2nd AP 15500ST Blue dial...

After that likely a rose gold Rolex then maybe a Patek.
tourspecgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 07:07 AM   #87
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Resale was not my point. The datejust is also among the most copied style. I have several friends with seiko’s that look identical. The resale of the nautilus and RO have to do with brand recognition and limited supply.

My point was that Rolex has the most iconic designs. Listen no offense those designs are unique and very much reflect the era they were created in. But they are in no way nearly as classic as the form, shape, and style of a
Sub or datejust. If the shape of the Royal oak or nautilus could make lesser brands money they would make a knock off.

We are getting into minutae here but I don't agree that the Rolex designs are only why they are being copied, there is an element of that, but largely it is because they look like coveted status Rolexes, esp the Sub, so it is more about the brand and the lifestyle than the aesthetic, which again is so generic that Rolex cannot claim title to it.
Old 22 February 2019, 07:12 AM   #88
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Classic or even more old fashioned ie stuck in the 50s? Rolex watches are cool but look like everything else, brands should always be given extra plus points for daring to go outside the safe mainstream.
I admire the way AP does many things, especially the unsurpassed fit and finish of their bracelets or the older non "stamped" tapisserie dial work, not forgetting some great complications.

Inspite of that the total package of any AP from the RO line still doesn't do it for me and monetary value aside I'd pick a Submariner everyday. One watch sings to you another doesn't.
Old 22 February 2019, 07:17 AM   #89
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I admire the way AP does many things, especially the unsurpassed fit and finish of their bracelets or the older non "stamped" tapisserie dial work, not forgetting some great complications.

Inspite of that the total package of any AP from the RO line still doesn't do it for me and monetary value aside I'd pick a Submariner everyday. One watch sings to you another doesn't.
Sure thing, the designs are unorthodox and polarising, I'm glad I like the Gentas but my wallet never has been.
Old 22 February 2019, 07:59 AM   #90
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
No it isn't as the strap is wide and sturdy, the DSSD is the real top heavy watch.
Someone pledged me Neil. I dont disagree about the dssd.

In terms of the AP I am entitled to my opinion. I'll bet the head of the watch weighs far more than the strap...

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote